Conflicts and Compromises

Twin Stars

Eunbyeol doesn’t know if it’s just Junmyeon’s excitement about or the whole Kim family was really in a rush to get them married; because just two days after she said ‘yes’ to the proposal, her fiancé’s parents summoned her and her mother to the mansion for the traditional meeting of the families. Little did the Chos know that it wouldn’t just be a simple encounter.

 

Mrs. Cho fixed her coat as she fidgeted slightly on her seat beside her daughter. It was her first time in the house her soon-to-be in-laws and the grandiosity and luxury of every corner ignited her insecurities. The huge difference between their social statuses was made more pronounced though as an elegant couple wearing matching sophisticated attires entered the parlor.

 

“Good day, Mrs. Cho,” the always respectful tone of Kim Junmyeon broke the tension as he appeared from behind his parents in a neat coat and tie ensemble, and settled beside Eunbyeol who was obviously smitten by the presence of the man. “Mom, dad, this is Mrs. Cho, Eunbyeol’s mom,” he introduced.

 

The older Cho smiled at the young man and turned to the masters of the house. She did a 90-degree bow and forced a smile on her quivering lips as she met their eyes for the first time in her life. “Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Kim,” she greeted as she tried hard not to stutter. “It’s a pleasure meeting you.”

 

The other woman just hummed in acknowledgment as she propped herself on her luxurious vintage couch. The husband smiled at the visitors a little as he sat beside his wife. “Sit down please,” he instructed in the most pleasant tone. Upon hearing, Eunbyeol knew where Junmyeon inherited his charm from.

 

For a few seconds, the two parties were just sizing each other up, trying to find the right timing to speak. It was silent and tensed but someone cleared to defy the current situation. It was Mrs. Kim.

 

“So I guess we all know why we’re all here?” She stated with an air of superiority. “My family and our company badly need to regain our flawless reputation and to do so, I had to marry my precious son off to a commoner that is you,” her eyes shifted to Eunbyeol and the latter fidgeted on her seat under the rich lady’s stare. Her hand immediately flew to her mother’s lap, attempting to control whatever negative emotion that’s brewing within her that moment, mentally asking her to calm down.

 

Mrs. Kim, understanding no one desires to in, decided to continue. She took out a piece of brown envelope from her husband’s attaché case and pulled out its contents to put on the table for everyone to read. “This is a prenuptial agreement,” she revealed and Eunbyeol’s heartbeat raced. Somehow, she just felt insulted but of course, she would never let anyone know that.

 

“The family wealth is something we could not share to just anyone, Eunbyeol-ssi,” Mrs. Kim explained as her gaze rested on the girl’s eyes. “And since this won’t be a fake marriage, I need to keep safe our assets from people that may want to take it from us.”

 

Eunbyeol’s eyes watered in shame and she could feel her mother’s hands trembling on hers. She looked up at Junmyeon whose head was hanging low, staring at the papers in front of them. There wasn’t even the tiniest intention to defend her pride coming from him. But as always, she understands. No one is anyone when there’s Mrs. Kim, after all.

 

But still, she knew she had to put things right somehow. So swallowing the shame, Eunbyeol lifted her head up. With politeness and utter respect, she smiled at her best friend’s mother. Mrs. Kim was a little taken aback with the unexpected reaction when she heard her speak.

 

“When I agreed to this favor-“ she put emphasis on the word “-your son asked from me, I have thought of suggestive a pre-nuptial agreement,” she admitted. “Although I felt no need for it since I’m never and I’ll never be after your money, I found it necessary to have one so people would be spared from assuming that I am a money-grabbing person.”

 

Everyone in the room had their eyes as round as saucers when Eunbyeol finished her speech. Even Junmyeon didn’t expect such bold statement from his best friend, especially against his mother. The both of them knew how nasty the older woman could sometimes get whenever she felt… well, disrespected.

 

But as she stared at the young woman before him confidently signing the agreement he was totally clueless about, he couldn’t help but feel a sense of pride. Somehow, it made him feel good that it is not an ordinary woman he’s going to marry. It’s Cho Eunbyeol, the brave and the feisty.

 

It is safe to say that the meeting ended fairly well. Despite the occasional insults thrown at the Chos, Mrs. Kim backed down a little after Eunbyeol’s retaliation; and the two parties peacefully went over the details of the marriage which was bound to happen in two weeks. It was agreed that the Kims will be the one paying for everything although Mrs. Cho insisted that she pays for her daughter’s wedding gown. According to her, it has always been her dream since she became a mother. The other family found nothing wrong on it thought and agreed eventually.

 

Junmyeon decided that they will get a wedding planner to do everything for them. Eunbyeol didn’t want to, of course. She wanted to plan her own wedding, even though it’s just staged. However, just like in any other instances, she was easily overpowered by her best friend’s reasons and justifications. In the end, she conceded and accepted the fact that the groom has the final say.

 

The meeting lasted for two hours before the Kims were reminded of a function they need to attend in an hour’s time. Junmyeon then offered to give Eunbyeol and her mom a ride back home, being the gentleman that he is. The girl refused, but the mother agreed.

 

Probably because of what happened earlier, the atmosphere inside the car during the whole drive was awkward. No one dared to speak until they reached the Cho residence. As soon as the car stopped, Eunbyeol immediately muttered her ‘thanks’ and got off the vehicle to run back inside their house. Junmyeon expected that from his best friend though. Such always happen when she’s confused or embarrassed. He chuckled watching the disappearing figure from his windshield.

 

However, the entertainment didn’t last long when he heard someone clearing from the backseat. That’s when he realized that they were with Eunbyeol’s mother. He turned around and paid attention, despite being restrained by the seatbelt.

 

“Can we talk?” The older woman asked.

 

The young man gulped. “O-of course,” he replied.