Whatever Fate Decides

Twin Stars

It was the third day since Junmyeon and Eunbyeol’s conversation. It has been three days since her life threatened to turn around. One decision and it will either flip or stay afloat. After the talk and agreeing to the two-week wait, the two separated way and haven’t contacted each other since then.

 

“What am I going to do?” Eunbyeol whined as she downed the content of her fifth cup of soju. The effect was beginning to kick in considering that she has low tolerance on anything alcoholic. Nevertheless, she easily picked her chopsticks and got herself a delicious piece of makchang.

 

“Why do you even have to think about it?! Of course, you shouldn’t agree,” insisted a girl with a voice seemingly dripping with annoyance and frustration. She pounded on the not-so-sturdy table earning a glare from the ahjumma who owns the roadside canteen; but that very moment, she couldn’t care less. “Marriage is for two people in love. It should never be used for the salvation of a business!” She exclaimed.

 

Eunbyeol sighed. “Yura unnie,” she called her cousin calmly despite battling the doubling vision she was beginning to have. “That may not be the case for us, commoners, but that is exactly how it works in the world of first class families in this country,” she stated as she stared at the clear liquid as she poured herself another glass of the drink.

 

The older girl scoffed disbelievingly. She held her cousin’s hand, hoping to convince her out this mess even before she enters. “But this is your future we’re talking about. Marriage is not something you should take lightly. Forget what others think. If you get married to someone you don’t love, you’ll end up lonely – and marriage is not supposed to be lonely,” she explained.  “Do you get me?”

 

Silently, Eunbyeol could only nod. Of course, she understands the situation. Of course, she’s aware of the possible consequences. But what made her older cousin think that getting married to Junmyeon will be lonely? She doubts. She had always enjoyed the company of her best friend. She had always loved his presence in her life. They have always found fun things to do even without trying. They have always been able to make each other happy.

 

Although she knows clearly that she’s depending too much on their friendship, she knows too that there’s nothing else to depend on, right?

 

“We’re best friends,” she groaned. “So what if we don’t have romance, as long as we’re friends, we’ll be okay.”

 

Yura couldn’t say anything else. There is still more than a week left for her cousin to come up with a decision but with the conversation they had, she knew that the younger one had already decided. The marriage will push through, simply because of ‘best friend’ reasons.

 

Eunbyeol takes her relationship with her friends seriously, and this is Junmyeon they’re talking about – the Kim Junmyeon who takes the title of Cho Eunbyeol’s most favorite person. And ever since they were kids, it had always been clear to everyone close to this young girl that she will do everything for the sake of her friends – even if that means sacrificing her own happiness.

 

Junmyeon knows that so well too; and somehow, it irked Yura to think that perhaps, he had chosen to ask Eunbyeol for marriage because he knew she could never say no to him.

 

Yet her gaze softened as it landed on the knocked down figure in front of her. Sprawled on the table, reeking of alcohol, her cousin was biting her lips even while she’s asleep. It’s a habit of hers she usually finds cute; but that moment, it isn’t because of the creases in her forehead.

 

Yura reached out to touch Eunbyeol’s forehead and smoothen the creases. The latter groaned silently, probably feeling a bit disturbed, but went back to her peaceful slumber almost immediately.

 

The older girl smiled in melancholy. “Just be alright when you follow your heart,” she whispered as she picked up her cousin to leave.

 

---

 

Eunbyeol began the day with a throbbing head. She shouldn’t have drunk so much the other night but she couldn’t help it. Adults always say that if you have worries and problems, you just have to drink it away and you’ll be okay. them, she muttered to herself. She felt like dying, and that’s another problem.

 

Still slumped on the bed, the girl rolled around as she tried to remember how she got home. The last thing she can recall was her talking about being best friends with Junmyeon.

 

Kim Junmyeon, she groaned. If it wasn’t for his best friend and his ridiculous need for help, she wouldn’t be in such state.

 

As she stared at the ceiling, she thought of what she was talking about with her older cousin when they were drinking. Yura was the first one from her side to know about the plan, and it’s safe to say that she didn’t like it. She’s totally against it, and she knows why. But it’s not like other people’s opinion would matter. In the end, it will all depend on how she feels, on what she wants. She talks to people about her concerns just to hear different opinions, but in the end, it’s still what she wants to do that will happen.

 

But what is it that she wants?

 

A loud groan escaped her lips as she pushed herself up with much difficulty. She ruffled her hair quite violently, completely annoyed with herself. She wanted to take into consideration the real importance of marriage – at least to commoners like her – but she can never set aside the fact that it’s her best friend who needs her help. It’s the only thing she can do.

 

There’s always divorce anyway.

 

A t the thought of divorce, Eunbyeol felt like the colors fade. She had always hated the word, as it’s the main reason why she grew up without a father figure. According to her mother, her dad filed a divorce all of a sudden even before she was born; and there was nothing anyone could do to change his decision. It was from him that the little girl inherited such trait from.

 

But then, would divorce be as painful if there’s no love between the two married people? She guesses not. Junmyeon is her best friend, not her lover. They have been together for years and they were inseparable, but there was no issue of falling in love. There wasn’t even a spark of romantic attraction. Everything’s purely platonic when it comes to them. So perhaps, a separation of ways as a wedded couple will not affect them as much as it should when the time comes that they need to end the mess they might decide to enter together, right?

 

Eunbyeol slipped off the bed and headed to her small bathroom to freshen up. Her head was hurting more because of thinking so much, yet she couldn’t find the will to stop. She has to come up with the best decision in two weeks but she wants it to be sooner.

 

As she stopped in front of her sink, she stared at her reflection in the mirror. Staring at her untidy hair, dark circles, plump cheeks, and totally unattractive facial features, the girl bit her lip in total frustration. “What’s the best decision?” She asked herself out loud.

 

Her eyes closed shut as she supported herself by leaning forward, her hand gripping tight on the edges of the sink. Whenever she faced a crossroad, she’ll always let fate decide. How? By asking for signs. That’s what typical people do, right? Although she couldn’t believe she’ll have to do so for such serious situation, it was all she has left.

 

“Okay,” she breathed out. “I’m gonna tell my mom about it tonight and if she agrees in any way, I’ll say yes.”

 

Somehow, it made her feel a little better.