Promise

Twin Stars

“Eunbyeol.”

 

A soft voice filled her silence as she felt her soul waking up to a new day. It was like an angel had just whispered her name on her ear. Groggily, she turned her body to the left to at least try to figure out if it really was an angel beside her. She wanted to see it. She wanted to witness its glory.

 

“Eunbyeol.”

 

The girl breathed out a smile as she squirmed under the warm sunlight seeping through the blinds of her window. The golden sun had risen outside already, inviting her to enjoy the day with the person she likes.

 

“Junmyeon-ah,” she muttered unconsciously as she let her drooping eyes get accustomed to the light.

 

Soft chuckles rang close to her ears, perking her full attention up. Her eyes went wide as she recognized that laughter and she immediately turned to her right to confirm her thoughts.

 

And indeed, it was right.

 

Junmyeon-ah!” Eunbyeol half-screamed as she instantly covered her body with her blanket. “What are you doing here!?”

 

Unable to stop himself from giggling, the man sat himself on the edge of the bed. “I am taking you out on a date today so get up now,” he stated coolly. “Your mother already said yes so I’m giving you thirty minutes to prep up.”

 

Eunbyeol stared at her best friend like he’s growing heads on his forehead. “D-date?” She stammered pathetically.

 

Junmyeon nodded gracefully with that usual smile of his which warms the girl’s heart at any time. “Yes, a date,” he confirmed. “I’m taking my fiancée out and I see nothing wrong with it.”

That very moment, Eunbyeol could kiss anyone because of the giddy feeling that dominated her from deep within. The sweet voice that woke her up from her slumber; the invitation to a sudden date; being called his ‘fiancée’; and above all, having Kim Junmyeon as the first one she sees in the morning – she can totally get used to this.

 

 

***

 

 

“Where are we going?” She asked as she mindlessly slipped her frail body into the car. Eunbyeol didn’t have to look towards the driver’s seat to know how cool the man sitting there looked like. He was just wearing a simple white shirt, topped with a loose denim jacket; paired with tight black jeans and his favorite Chucks; but she still felt her chest tightening with every breath. She had always known him as a handsome man who can easily sweep girls off their feet, but she had never noticed that he was actually that hot until he called her his fiancée.

 

Amazing how one word can actually change everything, she told herself mentally as she made herself comfortable on the seat.

 

A few seconds later, they weren’t still moving. The engine had started but Junmyeon didn’t look like he had a plan to drive. It got the girl confused. “Are we not going?” She decided to ask.

 

The boy pressed his lips together, his one arm on the steering wheel and the other on his lap. His body turned halfway toward the girl, displeasure evident in his face. “Cho Eunbyeol,” he whispered a little dangerously.

 

Eunbyeol shivered at that low voice. What did she do? Why was he angry? “W-Why are you suddenly mad?” She carefully asked.

 

Junmyeon shifted and turned to face the girl beside her. Without words, he suddenly leaned forward, making her stop breathing.

 

The girl closed her eyes at the close proximity and the possibility of what could happen next. But her imaginations immediately died down as she heard his soft voice close on her right ear. Slowly, she opened her eyes and saw her best friend reaching for something behind her back.

 

“I have told you a lot of times already that I will not drive unless my passengers have their seatbelts on,” he casually stated as he leaned back, pulling the seat belt with him. “Do I need to remind you that always?”

 

Eunbyeol stared at him as he buckled her seatbelt on her side. Her heart was freefalling into a spiral of flurry with such gallant action; and to think that that’s not the first time he did that to her, it was driving her crazy.

 

When he finally leaned back on his seat, the girl managed to let out a breath. She didn’t realize she was holding it in until she felt her lungs working normally again. However, her heart was another story.

 

Damn it, heart, will you stay still? The girl silently cursed as she rested her back on her seat. The little muscle, which could do so much, was thrashing wildly across her chest that she fears the other person in the car might hear it eventually.

 

Thankfully, that person didn’t. With a contented smile, he turned to the steering wheel again and finally began to drive. “The least I want to do is to get you hurt, Eunbyeol,” he said as he focused on the road. “I made a promise to your mother and I have no plans on breaking that.”

 

The girl could swear the temperature inside the vehicle was around 18 to 19 degrees. But as the man’s words sank in, it didn’t feel a bit cold anymore. Instead, warmth enveloped her heart – and she wished it would never disappear.