The Other Bestfriend

Twin Stars

No one noticed the time flying by. The preparations were painstakingly difficult since it was a little rushed. Scratch that. It was totally rushed. Two weeks, imagine? The Kims were lacking time, they said. The media had been running around everywhere, issues were popping out here and there, the risk of the law firm’s collapse is escalating. The wedding had to happen as soon as possible.

 

 

During that span of time, an announcement about the engagement was never made. The father of the groom deemed it better that they take the public by surprise. It was a technique to catch attention. They decided to tell the press right after the wedding that this was Junmyeon’s own decision, and as supportive parents, they agreed right away.

 

 

Even in simple debates, such move is a fallacy.

 

 

Eunbyeol’s head was spinning as she breathed in deep. The bright warm lights illuminating the room all seemed dark to her. The colors were faded, like everything’s monochromatic. She clasped her hands tightly together in front of her chest as another pair worked its magic on the corset of her gown.

 

 

“Can you breathe?” She heard a woman say, her voice clouded with worry.

 

 

The young girl let out the air she held for a moment and could only nod. As she released the muscles in her stomach, the rough linings of the gown wrapped around her body tightly - making her feel totally uncomfortable.

 

 

How can she possibly breathe properly in such dress?

 

 

After the assistant was done with the final touches in her wedding gown, she left, leaving the bride alone inside that secluded area.

 

 

As she sat herself in the middle of the luxurious space, she stared at the reflection of a girl she doesn’t know. She was wearing a white off-shoulder gown, which – as said – tightly wraps around her quite plump body; lace hugging through the rest of her arms. Though she’s sitting, she could still notice the beautiful way the silk skirt flows down to her ankles.

 

 

In the girl’s ears was a pair of diamonds that’s as big as the smallest coin in South Korea. She was not wearing anything on her neck, but the attention was grabbed by the tiara on her head. A stunning piece of jewelry, it’s embedded with numerous Swarovski crystals which glimmered as she stared more at it.

 

 

Her make-up was stunning too. The most expensive products were used by one of the best make-up artists in the country perhaps.

 

 

Eunbyeol sighed. The girl in the mirror was – without question - beautiful, but her eyes showed otherwise.

 

 

A heavy feeling dominated her as she stared at her reflection. It disheartened her how the girl in the mirror was never her – could never be her.

 

 

The bride bit her lower lip softly as she looked back to two weeks ago. As soon as she mindlessly agreed to her best friend’s idea, she was introduced formally to the Kim family and the preparations were held right away.

 

 

“The preparations…” Eunbyeol muttered in solitude as she scoffed.

 

 

Because she’s getting married to Kim Junmyeon, only a few of her ideas were considered for this wedding. Well, it’s not like she wasn’t asked. Indeed, she was. The thing is: his best friend really has this ways with his words. His reasons, his opinions – it’s like he had casted spells everyone to believe that he’s better than everyone else. 

 

 

And as expected, she gave in. Hence, the wedding.

 

 

Once again, she heaved a deep sigh. Am I doing the right thing? Will everything be okay? There were a lot of thoughts going on through her mind that very moment.

 

 

KNOCK KNOCK

 

 

Her thoughts were interrupted as the door slid slightly open. Suddenly , a head of a man popped out through the small opening and for once, a grateful smile appeared on Eunbyeol’s face that morning.

 

 

 

“Kyungsoo…”

 

 

 

Do Kyungsoo entered the room, a gorgeous smile painted on his equally gorgeous face. He was wearing a black tuxedo, paired with a white dress shirt and a neat bowtie around his neck. He kept his hair down, covering a little of his forehead.

 

 

“What are you doing here?” Eunbyeol asked as her eyes sparkled in appreciation of his presence.

 

 

The man chuckled as he stepped closer to the bride. He sat on a couch a foot away from where she is. “I think I was asked to be the best man,” he teased.

 

 

Soft laughter echoed through the confines of the room. Suddenly, colors were appearing in the girl’s vision. “This is my wedding, I think I know that so well,” she retorted. “I meant what are you doing here, in my room?”

 

 

Kyungsoo brought his fingers to his chin and scratched it lightly, his lips jutting out slightly. “Am I not permitted to see my best friend before her wedding with my other best friend?”

 

 

 

Eunbyeol nodded. She had almost forgotten that there were actually three of them who are in this interesting circle of friends. Aside from Junmyeon, she has another best friend who happens to be the man before her.

 

 

The boy noticed the heavy silence that suddenly hovered above them. “Are you okay, Byullie?”

 

 

Byullie.

 

 

The girl breathed out a smile as she heard the name he has only for her. Her insides were clenching as she exerted full effort to not let her eyes tear up – not because she doesn’t want her make-up to be ruined but because she wanted to make the other person in the room believe that she  supports the current situation she’s in. She then bravely shifted her gaze to meet his and nodded. “Of course I am—“ she replied “—he’s my best friend.”

 

 

Kyungsoo’s face fell with such lame reasoning. Maybe she had forgotten, but he’s majoring in Psychology and it’s very easy for him to say that Eunbyeol is not okay. And the years that they’ve been together – even longer than what the groom spent with her - is enough for him to know her pains so well. The absence of sparks in her eyes, the forced smiles – all these were screaming the opposite of what she said.

 

 

“Why did you have to do something you’ve never wanted to do?” He asked.

 

 

The girl shook her head as her stares fell on the carpeted ground. “But I want to do this for my best friend,” she mumbled; and this time, he knew it was pure honesty. But somehow, he understands there was something else – something else he, himself, doesn’t want to believe.

 

 

 

“I’m your best friend too,” Kyungsoo stated mindlessly as he also decided to find something in the floors to interest him. “Would you have agreed to marry me if I asked you first?”

 

 

The whispered words were out without thinking. The young man wished he could take it back and slap himself for asking such ridiculous question. It sounded wrong, like he’s cooing her to retreat from her decision. Yet, he was curious for the answer. Since he knew of the marriage plans, he had been wondering what if it is their family's company that’s in the brink of closing and the only choice is to marry a commoner. Like Junmyeon, Eunbyeol would be his choice too, of course.

 

 

But would she agree like how she did easily with the Kim’s heir?

 

 

Kyungsoo thought it would take a minute at minimum before he could hear a negative answer. But it didn’t even take a blink when his best friend’s soft and lovely voice rang clear.

 

 

“Of course, Kyungsoo,” she smiled as she answered. “Of course.”

 

 

The man lifted his eyes off the ground and met the beautiful bride’s eyes. Without words, as he battled with his own personal demons, he took a few strides to get to her and hastily pulled Eunbyeol into a warm, tight hug, which the girl instantly returned.

 

 

Kyungsoo had his eyes closed as he relish the last few minutes of Cho Eunbyeol’s singleness. His chest tightened as he realized that after this day, the woman he has been in love with since elementary will become someone else’s property. It hurts so much that that someone is no other than their other best friend, Kim Junmyeon. But you know what hurts more? The fact that he knows she’s not happy.

 

 

He knows, after all. He knows the conditions Junmyeon made. He knows how Eunbyeol feels. He knows everything.

 

The man was the first one to pull away and he immediately noticed the tears b on the bride’s eyes. Carefully, he wiped it away with his thumb as he leaned forward to press his lips on her forehead.

 

 

“When it all becomes too much, come to me,” he whispered.