Encountering Truth

Twin Stars

The conversation Eunbyeol had with her mother gave rise to various thoughts in her head. Suddenly, doubts penetrated her heart and now, she’s no longer sure about her true feelings. Or had she just always been refusing to pay attention to it? Whatever it is, she was pitifully caught in between. The questions Mrs. Cho asked were driving her crazy. ‘Do you like Junmyeon?’ It resounded in her head like a howling memory – that she was left with no choice but to actually think about the answer. Does she like him? Does she actually like him more than a friend? She had expressed a subtle answer to the question as she had admitted that earlier during the conversation. But why doesn’t it seem enough?

 

She’s happy with Junmyeon as the loyal best friend. She’s happy being the first person the young guy turns to for help. She’s happy that she’s the friend he said he’ll never desert.

 

But as she ponders on it more, a sense of prickling pain builds up deep within her; and she wasn’t so innocent not to know what it was. It hurts. It hurts that that’s all she ever is to him – a friend. And even though she agrees to this marriage, she will always be just a friend.

 

A golden line was starting to appear in the horizon now. The sky is starting to light up. Birds began chirping, signaling the start of a brand new day for the people of Gyeonggi. Eunbyeol heaved a deep sigh as her cold fingers found solace in her entangled locks. She glanced at the clock and noticed that it’s just turning half past five. She could use the next thirty minutes for a power nap but her system refused to. Everytime she tries to close her eyes, she’ll just see her best friend’s face, smiling as if encouraging her to accept his offer.

 

She groaned as she sat up.

 

“Morning Po,” she greeted the panda stuffed toy beside her. It was a present from her mother when she was just a kindergarten and it is her favorite. To her, the comfort it brings amounts to whatever anyone could give. “For the first time, I still can’t sleep even when you’re beside me,” she said as she tapped the lifeless object as she dragged herself away from bed.

 

The girl headed to her small bathroom where she stared at herself in the mirror hanging on the wall above the sink. She noticed how black circles were beginning to appear below her eyes and how her nose looked swollen because of stress. Her hair’s all over the place which is not a very nice thing to see.

 

Her fingers raked through her soft locks in an attempt to make it neat. But it wouldn’t budge. Strands just keep on popping up like there’s some sort of gravity pulling it up.

 

Annoyed and completely annoyed, Eunbyeol just bent down the sink and turned the faucet on. As water trickled down her head to her face, tears escaped her eyes.

 

It’s funny how one night of not sleeping can open up the door to a reality you never thought you’d have to face. How it happened that fast, she doesn’t know. But maybe, it just took one sleepless night for the volcano to erupt and for everything to come out.

 

She likes him, more than a friend.

 

And being the selfless person that she had always been for people she loves, it maddens her so much that deep in her heart, she knew that she had already accepted the proposal. And there’s no more turning back.

 

Eunbyeol turned the faucet off and stood straight as she wiped the salty tears away. With water trickling down her face from her soaked hair, she tried to come up with a brave front as she stared at her reflection. She still has a week to think about it but she had decided to cut it short. Call it crazy or impulsive or whatever, she had made up her mind.

 

She’s going to marry Kim Junmyeon. To hell with what’s going to happen with her life.