Best Friends

Twin Stars

It’s as if air was out of Eunbyeol’s system. The moment she heard what her best friend had to say, color left her already pale face. Her heart began thumping fast and her vision began spinning. Their garden didn’t seem to be so colorful anymore. If any, it has gone black and white – like everything else.

 

“W-what was that?” She tried to speak clearly but failed. The lump in was still there.

 

It was Junmyeon’s turn to chuckle. “I’ve never seen you this speechless,” he pointed out.

 

SMACK!

 

“OUCH!” The guy shouted, rubbing his arm which was recently hit by the girl. “WHAT WAS THAT FOR!?”

 

Eunbyeol was fuming. “KIM JUNMYEON, DON’T YOU DARE JOKE ABOUT THAT WITH ME! DAMN IT!” She shouted at the top of her lungs while lunging for another hit, this time aimed at her best friend’s stomach.

 

“WILL YOU PLEASE CALM DOWN FIRST!?” Junmyeon shouted back as he tried to escape the wrath of a girl who was also known as Chun Li during their middle school days. Her punches weren’t jokes, neither are her kicks. Whoever taught her Taekwondo and Hapkido will surely be proud of how strong her hits are.

 

It took Eunbyeol a few moments to actually calm down. Ever she couldn’t understand why she suddenly erupted upon hearing Junmyeon’s words. Marriage? With her? He wants it? These were all jokes. He was trying to catch her off guard. He was just teasing her, like always.

 

When she slumped down on the grass again, the man finally decided it alright to speak more about his propositions. A part of him still can’t believe he’s doing this, but it concerns his family; and for him, blood is always thicker than water.

 

“Explain,” he heard his best friend mutter at the instant his touched the ground. Always so demanding, he chuckled inside himself. “What is this about wanting to marry me?”

 

Junmyeon’s face turned serious as his gaze was planted on the ground again. “You know that our law firm survives on sponsorships from other major companies, right?” She nodded. “Then, you also know that issues and accusations about us, being so inaptly elite are going around the internet and it’s generating negative effects on us?” Once more, she nodded.

 

“How does that relate to your sudden marriage proposal?” She suddenly asked.

 

The man threw him a glare. “If you’ll just let me finish, you will know,” he replied in gritted teeth. Eunbyeol immediately shut up after mouthing a little ‘sorry’.

 

“The thing is, my parents want me to marry immediately to prove the public that we’re not elite. I think they want this wedding to be a distraction, so people will finally get over the malicious issues our rivals are throwing us,” he admitted.

 

To others, the explanation might have made sense. But to Eunbyeol, it didn’t. She still couldn’t get it why it has to be her. Kim Junmyeon is not exactly an undesirable man. In fact, he’s one of the most in-demand bachelors in their age. He’s handsome, responsible, filial, intelligent, wealthy, and everything a woman would want in her lover. He could easily get the woman he desires.

 

“Why me?” She asked, unsure if she should’ve let those words out.

 

He body turned to his as he grabbed her hands on his own. “I need to marry a commoner,” he admitted.

 

Eunbyeol’s world stopped. It’s not because his best friend had to marry a commoner and he chose her. Of course, it could have been a prick on her pride but then why would the truth hurt? She’s a commoner, indeed. But the more worrying thing was the pain in her best friend’s voice. Where was that coming from?

 

The fact that he was supposed to marry a commoner? Or the reality that the commoner he was supposed to marry was her?

 

She felt Junmyeon’s hands caressing hers in an apologetic sort of way. She looked up to him and noticed the beseeching flickers in his clear brown orbs. “What do you need to do again?” She needed to hear it again to be sure.

 

“I need to marry you,” he said once more.

 

Sarcastic chuckles escaped the girl’s lips as she harshly pulled away and stood on her feet. “Do you even hear yourself, Kim Junmyeon? You’re seriously asking your commoner best friend to marry you so you can save the company?!”

 

She didn’t mean to sound rude but in a matter of minutes, she was exasperated. How was it so easy for this guy to ask that from her? She might be a commoner but she still has pride to uphold! Why did it have to be her? Did he think it was as easy as saying yes to his ice cream treat? Marriage is a lifelong promise. Did he really expect her to throw away her life just to save her best friend’s ?

 

“EXACTLY!” He hollered as he also stood up abruptly. “THE REASON WHY I’M ASKING YOU IS BECAUSE YOU’RE MY BEST FRIEND AND I KNOW NO OTHER PERSON CAN HELP ME THROUGH THIS OTHER THAN YOU!” Junmyeon raked his fingers through his hair in frustration. He knew it was a crazy idea too, but he was left with no choice.

 

Eunbyeol’s eyes widened in surprise when her best friend yelled back. He must be so upset that he easily lost his patience over her. It normally takes longer than that; and somehow, it scared her that she instantly took a step away.

 

Junmyeon noticed that simple action and realized what he had done wrong. Immediately, he covered the distance with a step and reached out to grab her slightly trembling hands. “I’m sorry,” he whispered. “I didn’t mean to.”

 

The girl’s breathing slowed down upon hearing the apology. With the coldness of his touch, she concluded that this wasn’t easy to him too. Yet, she couldn’t sign away her future just like that. “Why must it be me again?” She asked, almost soundlessly.

 

“Because you’re my best friend,” the man replied. “We know each other so well so there wouldn’t be any problems between us. We wouldn’t need to get through the stupid getting-to-know stage because we know each other so well already. Because of our closeness, we can pretend and easily convince others that we are in love and because you’re a commoner, they would easily believe that our law firm is serious with its non-elite reputation.”

 

Stupid. Pretend. Love. Commoner.

 

These words were the only ones to stick on Eunbyeol’s mind the moment Junmyeon finished his brief explanation. Instantly, she concluded that everything’s just about power and reputation. It isn’t just because of those reasons that he chose her. It’s mainly because he can easily protect his wealth from a third party if it’s his best friend he’s marrying. After all, he knew she was not the type to chase people for their money.

 

Well, at least, I can see that as a consolation, she thought to herself. At least, he trusts me enough on that.

 

The girl took time to think. The man just kept quiet. After a few moments, Eunbyeol met eyes with her best friend. “What do I get in return?” She challenged him.

 

Junmyeon was a little taken aback. To be honest, he had never thought about her asking for anything. She wasn’t that type of person. But then, this wasn’t a simple request he was asking, so it was fair enough.

 

“I’ll give you freedom to do what you want. I’ll even let you attend the schools you want to and pay for your tuition. I’ll give you whatever you wish to have,” he compromised. “Just please help me on this.”

 

Eunbyeol heaved a deep sigh as she closed her eyes to think again. Instantly, the word ‘best friend’ popped up in her mind.

 

Yes, she’s his best friend; and it is expected of her to stay beside him through thick and thin. That’s what best friends are for, right? That’s her responsibility. Kim Junmyeon is going through a tough time and as his closest friend, she should help him out of it - even if that means signing in to a very one-sided situation she had never dreamed of.

 

“Do you need an answer now?” She asked as she opened her eyes.

 

Junmyeon nodded silently as his gaze focused on their feet. “I need to get married as soon as possible,” he admitted.

 

Eunbyeol scratched her forehead and took a deep breath. She fully knows and understand the weight of the decision, and the possible consequences if her best friend won't marry as soon as possible; but as much as she wants to reply immediately and agree to the plan, marriage is still a serious thing. This is still her future they're talking about.

 

Seconds turned to minutes. The silence was killing them both. Her eyes were closed thinking of the favor asked. Alas, she opened her eyes. "Give me two weeks," she pleaded.

 

Junmyeon nodded despite the frustration. He knew he wasn't in any position to demand.