Chapter 9 - Predator and Prey

Contract to Their Hearts

Kris’s body jolted into action. In one quick movement he had pushed Tao away and was standing a few steps away from the red leather couch on which Tao still sat, supporting a rather shocked expression. It only remained that way for a few seconds though before it turned playful.

“What’s the matter Kris?” Tao asked, slowly standing up and not breaking eye contact. Kris genuinely felt like he was being stalked by a cat. And not just a house cat, but a wild animal who would toy with his prey before growing bored and going straight for the kill. He couldn’t break contact from the panther’s eyes and felt his muscles growing unresponsive from the part of his brain that told him to just run.

He was backed into a corner, and Tao slowly ran his hand down Kris’s face. “Stop running from me Kris.” Tao said quietly yet menacingly. “I will only play around for so long.” Kris finally broke his eye contact and looked around the room behind Tao’s shoulder. The alarm was just several steps away, if he could get there.

“Okay…” Kris said, acting defeated. “I just don’t think I’m ready for such a development. But if that’s really what you want…” He put his arm around Tao and spun him around so that now Tao was pressed against the wall. Using Tao’s own trick, he left a small trail of kisses along Tao’s neck. When Tao’s eyes fluttered closed he reached across and hit the alarm, jumping back away from Tao and looking around expectantly.

Tao just looked at him for a moment and then started laughing. At first it was a surprised chuckle, but seconds later he was doubled over, clutching his stomach and tears escaping his eyes.

Now Kris was confused. Was this a test? He felt anger rising in his chest.

“WHAT THE IS GOING ON?” Kris yelled, his chest heaving up and down.

Tao stopped laughing and stood up; he returned to where he had been sitting on the couch and sipped some champagne. “You’re fun. I like you.” Tao said to Kris, he let out a small laugh and sat back in his seat, resting casually like nothing had happened. “Don’t worry I won’t try anything else with you if you don’t want.”

Kris looked back towards the door, seeing if anyone had come running yet.

“No one is coming.” Tao said, spotting Kris’s glance. “The alarm system doesn’t even work.”

Kris looked shocked and stared back at Tao.

“Why? Did you break it?”  Kris accused.

“Haha, no. It was never wired up in the first place. It just looks good when inspectors come that there are alarms. I’m not going to try anything again.” Tao said again, patting the sofa. Reluctantly Kris sat down, his body rigid and he kept away from Tao.  

“I’m sorry for pushing you.” Tao said, and there was a glimpse of sincerity in his eyes before it was clouded with his usual look again. “Not that it wasn’t fun.” He said, running his hand over his neck where Kris had kissed him.  “If you feel like taking it further I’m not stopping you.” Tao said grinning.

Kris raised an eyebrow to that and Tao laughed.

Tao stayed until 2am, talking non-stop about anything and drinking himself into quite a state, the whole time Kris was staring at the clock, begging time to hurry up so that he could escape.  

“Oh is it time to go?” Tao asked, clumsily making his way to his legs. Kris caught him when he wobbled and led him to the elevator. When inside Tao slumped into the corner and closed his eyes.

“The elevator has stopped now.” Kris said to Tao. Tao didn’t respond. Kris looked around for a minute before sighing and reaching down, swinging one of Tao’s arms over his shoulder and dragging him out. He slumped Tao over the lobby seats and then went over to Suzy.  “Could you ring a taxi for Tao?” He asked her. She peered over at the unconscious Tao and nodded.

“Don’t worry I’ll sort it out. Wait, could you try and get an address out of him?” Suzy asked, looking for the number for the taxi service.

“Um, I’ll try.” Kris returned to Tao and gently shook his shoulders, then shook harder when there was no response. “What’s your address Tao?”

“Are you coming over?” Tao asked sleepily. There was no sign of the playful Tao anymore. Scarily, Kris found this rare side of Tao cute. But then he remembered earlier tonight and he was angry yet again.

“No we need your address for the taxi, god damn it WAKE UP!” Kris roughly shook Tao again.

“okay, okay. Apgujeong. Just let me sleep, I’ll tell him in the taxi.” That was good enough for Kris, who got up and returned to Suzy. “Apgujeong, no specific address.”

Kris walked away from the desk before they could ask him to stay around to do something else and pressed the button for the elevator. At the same time Lay joined his side. Kris stayed silent. On the outside he must have appeared dead, frozen still in place with no emotion on his face. Inside the very opposite was happening. He was angry at Tao and angry at himself for letting it happen, guilty because he felt as if he was cheating, and then confused because of what he had been feeling about Lay. Lay. The word alone had his heart palpitating, his stomach felt as if it was falling through the floor and he seemed to become even more aware of Lay at his side.

The elevator door opened and they both stepped inside. Kris could feel Lay’s eyes looking at him in wonder. “How was tonight?” Kris couldn’t stop the flinch at the memory.

“It was okay.” It was the worst night of my life.

“Really, what did you do?” Lay asked curiously, only slightly aware that Kris was acting unusual.

“Pretty much the same as in the main host room. We drank and we chatted for a little while.” He wanted what’s yours. I mean, my first kiss, I mean… sigh.

Lay nodded, eyeing Kris slightly suspiciously.

“Who did you have to host for?” As Lay asked that question the elevator door opened and Kris walked quickly as he could to their dorm, heading straight for the bathroom and shutting himself inside.

He turned the shower on and got in fully dressed. He frantically rubbed at the clothes, removing any evidence that Tao had touched him. He wildly pulled his suit jacket off and started to scrub his shirt. A noise took Kris by surprise for a moment but then he realised. It was his own hysterical sobs forcing their way from deep inside his chest.

Standing directly under the water Kris scrubbed his face, and then his neck. He didn’t stop. The water and his own sobs choked him as he continued to rake his nails over his neck.

He didn’t hear the first knock at the door, but after a few more he heard a voice calling out.

“Kris? Kris what’s going on.” Lay tried the door and Kris had left it unlocked in his haste. He barged in and saw Kris in the shower.  “Oh my god Kris!”  Lay ran into the shower and pulled Kris’s hand away from his neck where scratches had started to draw blood. He took Kris’s face gently in his hand and pulled him away from the jets of water that were choking him and flooding his eyes.

“Kris…” Lay said gently, pulling Kris into a gentle embrace and the back of Kris’s head. “What happened?” Kris let out another sob and he clutched at Lay’s shoulders. They stayed this way for a moment until Kris looked up; his eyes were red and seemed to be searching, desperately searching for something. They latched onto Lay’s own concerned brown orbs and Kris felt himself moving impulsively. He connected their lips and for just a second Lay seemed shocked at the movement. But as Kris’s lips moved more desperately across Lay’s, Lay seemed to come alive. He tilted his head, the kiss became more passionate and they held onto each other even tighter.

Kris felt like time stopped right there. Tao didn’t matter anymore, all that mattered was Lay. The way their lips connected, the way their hands searched for more, and Lay’s fragrant smell brushing past Kris’s lips.

Eventually they pulled apart, panting. The world around them returned and the sound of the water pattering against their now sodden clothes was the only other sound in the room.  Lay reached up and Kris’s wet fringe from his eyes.

They remained silent but both of their feelings were now evident. From the moment that they had first seen each other there was chemistry, and it had taken them both until tonight to realise how far that chemistry went. 

“Come on.” Lay said gently, turning the faucet off.  They left the shower and lay took off his clothes, grabbing a towel and wrapping it around himself. He then turned to Kris and started to dry Kris’s hair with a towel. “I’ll go and put the kettle on and I’ll find us some dry clothes. You dry yourself up okay?” Lay left and shut the door behind him, giving Kris some privacy.  When Kris left the bathroom a few minutes later a pair of grey sweatpants and a hoodie had been left on the bed for him. He quickly changed and sat with Lay on the couch.

“There’s a new drama on.” Lay said chuckling, he passed Kris some hot chocolate and they sat huddled together on the sofa, warming up with each other’s body heat.  After such an emotionally and physically exhausting day, Kris couldn’t stop his eyes from drooping closed and he soon fell asleep, the last thing he remembered was his head falling onto something soft and then everything faded to blackness.


Oh my gosh it felt so awesome writing this. I'm getting more support from my stalkers and I just love drama so much. What do you think about what happened? Leave comments and subscribe, and if you really want me to explode with happiness you could also upvote my story. Some of you already have and I thank you so much! 

I love you all for reading my story this far! 

-1990stalker-