Chapter 12 - Illness and Sacrifices

Contract to Their Hearts

The days dragged and only a week had passed since they found out that they couldn’t book any time off.  Kris looked at Lay feebly laying across the couch. He had been gone for just five minutes and Lay had fallen asleep. He decided not to disturb Lay, and went into their bedroom. He dried his hair with a towel and looked at himself in the mirror. His suit was starting to get too baggy for him and he had started to put tissue in the shoulders to make himself look broader. He lifted the bottom of his shirt and turned to the side, his stomach was way too thin. Even when he didn’t have a job at all he managed to eat and rest more than he had been at SM.

He finished dressing and styling his hair. He had saved up some money to buy foundation so that the bags under his eyes would be less noticeable too, and he started to apply it. When he was ready he knew that he had to wake Lay and tell him to get ready to work, but it almost broke his heart. He could see how weak Lay was getting and waking him to tell him he had to work more made Kris angrier at the situation.

Sighing he gently shook Lay’s shoulder.

“Lay… Lay you need to shower.” Lay’s eyes fluttered open and he instantly stood, groaning in pain but by now he completely ignored the pain and had grown bored of trying to hide it. He walked slowly to the bathroom holding his waist and shut the door behind him without saying a word.  Kris Held his head in his hands.  Seeing Lay like this made his heart and his head ache.

The night seemed to go slower than ever, and after trying to politely refuse alcohol from a girl several times she personally bought Kris the shot and it in his direction.

“Do I look like I need alcohol that much?” Kris asked, trying but probably failing to interject humour into his tone.

“Just a bit.” The girl giggled. “Had a tough week?”

“You could say that I guess.” Kris said, downing the shot and nodding thanks to her.

“Well while you’re hosting it must be a time for you to relax and get away from things too, surely?” The girl asked, downing a shot herself.  Not if it’s the hosting that causes the problem, Kris thought.

“Not if the one causing those problems is nearby.” Kris ended up saying.

The girl looked at him concerned then moved closer, whispering in his ear. “Is there a troublesome guest in the room somewhere?” She looked around for someone who could be causing Kris any grief but couldn’t see any one. “Don’t worry; I can take your mind off of it.”

Kris tried to brush her off.

 “Are you trying to take my job from me?” He chuckled in irony.

“Just for tonight.” She said, moving closer to him and ing the top few buttons of his shirt. He had stopped leaving them undone when his sternum started to become visible under his skin. In the low lighting and intoxicated state she didn’t seem to notice. Instead she carried on her advances, her hand over his chest, moving her lips up and down his neck and telling him repeatedly to relax.

He hated it, yet he didn’t have the fight in him to stop her. He just looked sadly over at Lay, who looked back at him with the same tired, sad expression.

At 2am they walked slowly and silently to their dorm.  Kris locked the dorm door behind them and Lay went on ahead into the bathroom. Kris could hear him rummaging through the cabinet above the sink and a moment later he heard a loud thud, followed by the sound of many of the contents of the cupboard falling onto the floor.

“Lay?” Kris called out.  He didn’t hear a response and his tiredness fled him as adrenaline flooded his system. “Lay?” He said again hoarsely.

He pushed the bathroom door open carefully to see Lay collapsed on the floor.

Kris picked Lay up and carried him to the sofa, setting him down carefully before pacing in panic. He had no idea what to do in these circumstances. Luckily Lay started to gain consciousness.

“Lay?” Kris said, rushing to his side.

Lay just responded by groaning and clutching his side.

“Right that’s it. We’re going to the hospital.” He helped Lay up and they slowly walked to the lobby.  “How the hell are we going to get there?” Kris asked, knowing they had very little money. He ran to the nearest ATM and took out the very last of his money.  Kris called them a taxi and gave away the majority of his money, Lay fell unconscious again halfway through the journey and Kris panicked, not knowing if it was best to make sure that Lay should stay conscious or not.

When they arrived at the hospital Kris could do nothing but wait in the hall while they did checks on Lay.  Thirty minutes later the doctor came into the hall to talk to Kris.

“It seems that patient Zhang Yixing has RSI.” The doctor said.

“RSI?” Kris asked.

“Repetitive strain injury.” The doctor said. “As the name suggests it can be caused by performing a high-intensity activity for long periods without rest, but also by poor posture, stress, or cold temperatures.” The doctor explained.

Kris nodded, taking in the information. “Can I go in to see him now?” Kris asked.

“We’re giving him fluids in a drip to try and restore some of his energy. He’s been told to take a break from work and to get a less manual job too; otherwise his injury will only get worse. Please keep that in mind, but yes you can go through and see him.”

Kris sat at Lay’s bedside and looked at the feeble man lying in the bed in front of him.

“How are you feeling?” Kris asked. He scanned Lay from head to toe, taking in the paleness of his skin, the bags under his eyes, the hollowness of his cheeks, and the drip that was giving Lay nutrients he should have had in the first place.

“Better. They gave me some pain killers and this drip.”

“How are we going to pay for this?” Kris asked quietly, feeling guilty for thinking of money when Lay was in such a bad condition.

“I have some money left in my account, which should cover the medicine cost.” Lay whispered, leaning back further into the bed, rubbing his temples and closing his eyes.

“I have enough change left over to get us most of the way back to the dorm.” Kris said emotionlessly.  “Get some sleep, it’s a waste if you can’t get rest while we have a chance.” Kris leant forward and kissed Lay’s forehead before leaving.

He stood outside the hospital in the cold morning air; taking out his phone he directly rang Lee Soo Man’s number. It took Soo Man a little while to answer, it was clear that Kris had rang him while he had been sleeping.

“Hello?” Soo Man answered.

“It’s Kris. Look I know it’s not yet two months since we started working here but we really need to book some time off.” Kris said urgently. He heard Soo Man sigh down the phone.

“Look can’t you guys wait a week_” Soo Man started.

“Lay is in hospital right now.” Kris said. There was silent for a moment.

“Is he okay?” Soo Man asked.

“He has repetitive strain injury, quite seriously too. He needs time off to recover.”

“I understand that but who will take over his job while he recovers, and in that time who will pay for him to stay in the dorm? He needs to work if he wants to be paid.”

“Well surely that same problem would arise if we took a holiday after working for two months.”

“After two months you are entitled to a paid holiday, before that you cannot take paid time off! Did you not read the contract? He can take time off sick but I will need people to cover his shifts and he won’t be paid for it.”

Kris listened in anger.

“I’ll cover his shifts then.” Kris said. “Just. Just don’t tell Lay I’m covering them. Please can you just say he’s getting paid holiday? I’ll handle the rest.”

“Okay. Sure. I’ll sort it out all later.” There was a moment silence and they both hung up.

“Bastard.” Kris whispered under his breath. He looked at the clock and saw that it was now 4am. He returned to Lay’s room to find that Lay was now fast asleep. Kris dragged over a chair and sat watching Lay sleep until he too fell asleep.

Kris was awoken a few hours later by a nurse checking on Lay. She was taking away his empty drip and checking on his condition.

“Sorry did I wake you?” The nurse asked. Kris sat up straighter and felt pain run down his neck from sleeping in an uncomfortable position.

“No, no it’s okay. I need to get up soon anyway.” Kris said, noticing the clock said it was 8am.

Lay looked a lot healthier after having the drip, there was more colour in his face but he still looked tired.

“Okay you’re ready to be discharged whenever. Look after yourself.” The nurse said before leaving.

“Morning.” Kris said, turning his full attention to Lay.

“Good morning.” Lay sat up and looked for his suit, he had changed into a hospital gown overnight.”

“Get dressed and I’ll call a taxi. Oh and by the way, I spoke to Lee Soo Man and he’s letting you take some time off, all paid for too.” Kris said.

Lay looked surprised.

The two of them left the hospital, now officially penniless.

They arrived back at the dorm and went straight into the bedroom, by this time it was almost 9am.

“Get some more sleep.” Kris told Lay. “I need to go and sort out some things about booking you time off.”

“Wait, you didn’t get time off either?” Lay asked.

“It was the negotiation since it’s still technically not two months since we started. You’re allowed time off but I have to keep on working, but in a week we can both officially book off paid holiday.”

Kris set out for his first job, cleaning with Kai.

“Kai…”Kris said a moment after they first met up.

“What?” Kai snapped.

“Lay is… Lay is quite ill. I’ve convinced him that Soo Man let him have a week off paid, otherwise he would have insisted on working but, but actually I’ve taken on his shifts too.” Kai’s glare softened slightly after hearing this. All of the Hosts had a soft spot for Lay, he was too kind to be disliked. “I know we don’t get along but, I need your help.”

“No. Lay needs my help. I’ll help for him, not for you.” Kai said.

Kai agreed to clean the private booths himself so that Kris could clean downstairs for Lay. After that Kris moved the crates, which he discovered was a lot harder without Lay’s help, he watered the new rose bushes planted at the front of the building, put flooring down in the renovated room and then handed out fliers in the nearby town centre. At quarter past four he returned to the dorm, Lay had prepared a small meal of rice and was watching a program about unicorns on TV. Just one week. Just one more week and Kris and Lay could book some time off.

With this thought in mind he hosts until 2am after working for seven hours already. Without a penny to buy drinks he depends on the kind token of guests, which are usually incredibly alcoholic. To his surprise, Kai came over and bought him a drink, making a quiet toast to Lay’s health.

Kris returned to the dorm at 2am and threw up into the toilet. The fact that he had barely been eating, was working as hard as he could and then got drunk didn’t really make him feel much better. In fact, after throwing up he fell asleep on the bathroom floor until Lay came in later and found him there.

 

Just six days. Just six days. 


Omo~ look at all the subscribers, views and comments I have! *cries in happiness* I'm so happy right now, my story is going well and so is my life. I am so grateful you can't imagine. So even though I'm doing more in the day now, I may sure to have the time to upload at least one chapter every day for you guys. 

The support I'm receiving has really helped to motivate me to carry on, so thank you so much!!!

-1990stalker-