Chapter 18 - Books, Books, Books

Contract to Their Hearts

The kiss lasted for about a minute before Kris moved away.  He realised what had just happened a small moment after and looked at Tao with an expression of shock and sadness.

“G-Get out…” Kris stammered quietly, unable to look Tao in the eye.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean for that_”

“GET OUT!” Kris yelled, getting up from the bed and opening the bedroom door. He walked into his bathroom and shut the door behind him. Tao left looking sad and guilty and gently shut the door behind him.

Kris hammered a hand against the wall. Why did he do it? Why couldn’t he stop himself from repeatedly making mistakes?  All of his life he had abandoned others; he had hurt them in some way and ruined all of his chances at happiness. He must really be hated by god. He must be being punished for something. Maybe he was bad in his past life. Whatever it was he wished he could change it. He hated himself for never being able to do anything right, for either himself or for others.

He decided to spend the rest of the night in his room by himself. It took him what seemed like years to get to sleep. Poor Lay. He abandoned him, then cheated on him… In fact, had he ever done Lay any good? It broke Kris’s heart to think such a thing, but maybe once all of this was over and Lay and himself were free he wouldn’t go back to Lay. He wanted to though, he felt like he wouldn’t be able to live a day without Lay. Or at least without Lay close by. But Lay deserved somebody better than him. Someone who wouldn’t hurt him all of the time.  Kris’s eyes filled with tears at the thought of somebody else caring for Lay in a way that he never could. It was with this thought in mind that Kris fell asleep, dreaming a constant stream of nightmares in which he cheated on people and Lay left him for somebody much better.

On the contrary Kris felt slightly better the next morning, though still concerned.  He took a long shower and thought about the night before.  Did he really want to give Lay up? Of course not! He would hold onto Lay for as long as he could, but if Lay didn’t want him anymore he would accept that as his punishment. Instead he would spend the rest of his time trying to free them from SM, whatever happened after was left to fate. As for Tao, he realised that Tao was only trying to make him feel better. Actually now that he thought more on the matter he supposed that Tao was probably very lonely living in this house by himself.  He spent all of his time doing the work his Mother left him and the only other contact he received was purely on a business relationship.

After grasping this Kris stood up and wrapped a towel around his waist, heading into his room to dress.  He pulled on underwear and some dark blue denim jeans, finishing with a plain white shirt and slipping on slippers before opening his door. Just a few steps away Tao was walking towards his room with a plate of food in his hands, looking sorry.

“Tao.” Kris greeted.

“Good morning.” Tao said awkwardly.

“About last night…” Kris started.

“I’m really sorry!” Tao suddenly blurted. “I didn’t think how my actions would have affected you and I just wanted to help and the impulse took over and_” Kris shushed him by putting a finger over Tao’s lips. It was at times like these that Kris realised Tao’s true age.

“It’s fine Tao. I know you didn’t mean anything by it, I over reacted. A kiss is just a kiss right? I’m sure you thought it was the right move to make at the time, and I didn’t exactly object so it’s just as much my own fault.” Tao took this in and looked more relieved but still concerned.

“I brought you breakfast.” He said, lifting the plate up higher.

“Thank you, why don’t you come in?” Kris said, inviting Tao into the room and Tao perched on the edge of the bed while Kris sat at a desk and started to eat the breakfast.

“What are you plans for the day?” Kris asked between mouthfuls.

“I have several meetings over the next few days which will mean that I won’t be able to return tonight. I’ll be back sometime tomorrow evening.  Then the day after that I go to SM and meet with this Sehun.”  Kris just nodded as he ate and listened.

Tao left later that day and it didn’t take long for Kris to become bored. He tried to leave the estate but a member of Tao’s staff blocked him.

“I am sorry sir, Mr Huang has told us that you must not leave the estate for your own safety.”

Kris wandered the house until he found Tao’s library. Or one of them at least. After selecting a pile of books on a variety of subjects; Korean Law, Korean language, history books and many more, Kris returned to the lounge and started to read.

Due to his travelling between his father and mother, he had not had the most stable education, and he hadn’t made the most of it when he had been in education. Because of that he felt he was letting Tao and Lay down as he wasn’t able to do much to help them out. Therefore while Tao was away Kris would try to fill his brain with useful knowledge.

He stayed on that sofa save for meals and toilet breaks until 6am when he finally fell asleep, the book resting on his chest and moving up and down with his deep breaths.  At 10am a Butler accidentally woke Kris when walking over to check that Kris was okay.

“Sorry.” Kris said, starting to get up.

“Oh no no, you can stay there I was just checking that you were okay. Would you like me to fetch a blanket or a pillow perhaps?”

Kris carried on getting up reguardless. “That’s fine I’ll be waking up now.” From the Butlers’ patrols around the house it was known amongst the staff that Kris had been awake until very early hours of the morning. Knowing this the butler frowned at Kris but did nothing to stop him from going to the kitchen and making a coffee. Once it was made Kris returned to the same couch and carried on reading his book.  Once it was finished he picked up the next. He carried on this routine until just after 3pm when he fell to sleep once again. He was in a similar position to when he fell asleep earlier in the morning. His long frame curled uncomfortably to fit on the couch while the book rested on his chest and his head had fallen to the side.

Tao came home earlier than expected at just 5pm and noticed Kris on the sofa. The Butler took Tao’s coat and briefcase and whispered into his ear. “He hasn’t left that couch since you left yesterday you know.”

Tao nodded and walked forward, taking a blanket from a chest in a corner and draping it over Kris. He took the book and folded Kris’s page before sitting on the floor beside him, gently Kris’s fringe but stopping when Kris stirred in fear that he would him wake up.  Instead Kris muttered out in his sleep.

“Lay…” Tao frowned at Kris' words and went to turn his back and lean against the arm of the sofa but Kris murmured again. “Sorry…”  Tao's frown dropped and he looked upon Kris with Pity. 

At 7pm Tao woke Kris and they ate their meal together.  There was a strange feeling that hung in the air over the table as they ate. Both knew that just the next day Tao would go into SM. Kris would finally get to find out how Lay was handling things. Instead of focusing on that however, they distracted themselves with small talk of how their days had been. Tao briefly went over the meetings and work he had been doing over the two days.

After reading and watching TV for a few more hours they both decided to go to bed.

“Actually.” Kris said, hesitating at the foot of the staircase which lead to the bedrooms. 

“Hm?” Tao asked.

“Would you mind sleeping in my room with me tonight? I’ve felt lonely...” Kris said looking embarrassed.

Tao put up a controlled smile but the true happiness filled his eyes instead.

“Of course.” He replied, walking Kris back to his room, trying not to let a bounce appear in his steps. 


It sure has been a while :( how are you all doing? I've been so busy, I forgot how much work I had to do in lessons, I'm also going to be quite busy this weekend I believe. However I am trying my best to update as soon as possible. It's now 2am and I just finished this so I have no idea if I made any mistakes, I'm too tired to tell. I'll proof read tomorrow! Right now a good sleep is needed :P

I got even more upvotes AND 45 very amazing subs!  know it's not the best of stories and that updates are taking longer but really, thank you for sticking with it! I'll talk to you guys soon with an update as soon as possible, comment what you think as always! LOVES YOU LOTSSSS!!!!!

-1990stalker-