Chapter 4 - Unicorns, Mentors and Whisky

Contract to Their Hearts

Kris sat in his dorm and stared absently at the TV, a glass of untouched water sat in his hands. Earlier today Kris had moved his few belongings from his apartment to the dorm. He’d been able to fit it all in just the two cardboard boxes he’d been using for storage. He’d taken his clock down from the wall where it ticked calmingly over him at night, and then he was ready to leave.

At the dorm he had unpacked, and then fixed the clock to sit on the wall opposite his bed.  He considered eating but nerves seemed to be fuel enough for tonight.  The Host Club opens for business every day at 6pm, and it was currently 5pm. He changed into his uniform, the black SM Host Club suit, before sitting rigidly on the couch.

Lay had gone to collect his belongings an hour or so ago and still hadn’t returned, and Kris was wondering if he had changed his mind or gotten lost, or maybe even just forgotten he had to return completely. He wouldn’t put any of those ideas past Lay.

 Just when he was convinced Lay wasn’t going to return the door swung open and Lay came in, pushing 4 card board boxes and a… Kris did a double take.

“Lay is that a unicorn?” Kris asked as Lay came in with his arms full of a giant unicorn plushie.

“Yes. It’s for luck, and for healing.”  Lay said, struggling with his arms full of boxes and a giant unicorn teddy.  Kris got up and helped Lay, his fingers brushing Lay’s as he took the boxes. As unmanly as it felt, it somehow made Kris’s stomach flutter, but that was probably because he hadn’t felt human contact in a long time, and he was nervous for tonight! That’s all it was! That’s all Kris said it was at any rate.

Once they had pulled all of the boxes in Kris sat down on the sofa and watched as Lay put a few things away.

“I’ll do the rest later, or tomorrow.” Lay said, joining Kris on the couch. Kris suddenly felt awkward at their proximity. His heart felt uneasy somehow and it bothered him.

“Uh Lay, I hate to bother you but have you seen the time, you need to change.” Kris said, noticing that it was twenty minutes to six.

When Lay was changed the two of them travelled to the lobby where they were told to wait for Lee Soo Man.  He arrived only moments after them.

“Ah gentleman! This is Kai, and this is Chen.  Since tonight is your first night you will be assigned mentors who will show you how things are done. Tonight they will basically guide you and show you how to handle the guests.  Depending how quickly you learn you may spend a few more nights with your mentors, and also you will not able to be privately booked for a week or two while you get used to being a host. Now then get ready; the clients will be arriving soon.

Kai looked at Kris and offered his hand. “Nice to meet you. I’m Kai; I’ll be your mentor tonight.”

Kris shook his hand once before letting go. “I’m Kris.” He replied. He wasn’t sure if he liked kai yet. He had an air of smugness around him and was definitely attractive; it was a competition Kris didn’t like. Kai had dark skin, dark hair, he had a bulky figure which suggested muscles beneath his Host Club suit, and with the graceful yet smug walk he walked with, Kris assumed he must be dancer too.

Lay’s mentor Chen had a friendly face, a little bit impish and mischievous. He reminded Kris of a young boy who would prank others. He felt like Lay had gotten the nicest mentor, but for some reason he felt protective of Lay, and was glad that Lay hadn’t got Kai. Kris didn’t trust Kai at all.  

The four of them walked into the main host room. Kai and Kris going one way, Lay and Chen heading in another. 

“As hosts go, they usually have their own techniques on how to attract the guests.” Kai said. “You see Chen there? He will nearly always start by sitting at the bar. After a few guests have entered he will secretly see which ones are eyeing him the most. Once he has found his target he will go over, offer to buy them a drink and then start his work.”

Kris nodded, watching Chen and Lay sitting at the bar together. A few more hosts entered the room but Kris didn’t pay them much attention.

“So what’s your approach?” Kris asked, looking back towards Kai.” Kai passed Kris a drink which he must have gotten when Kris wasn’t around.

“We have our drinks already.” Kai said. “Sip it, relax, lean back and look like you’re having fun.” You have to pull the guest in.” After saying this Kai took his suit jacket off and laid it on the seat beside him. He rolled the sleeves of his white shirt up revealing dark toned arms, and he ed the top two buttons of his shirt, loosening his tie. “They want to feel laid back and relaxed and like they’re going to engage in fun conversations, not having formal talk with men in suits. They could do that with the men in the offices where they work.”

As much as Kris hated it, he could see Kai’s logic. He loosened his tie too, opening just one button of his shirt though and keeping his suit jacket on.  Though he wasn’t sure he trusted the drink Kai had prepared.

“What is this?” Kris asked him, gesturing to the drink.

“Whisky. Drink up.”

Kris eyed the glass, he hadn’t had whisky before, but for some reason he ended up trying a small sip. It wasn’t too bad. Not quite his taste though.

The doors opened and a few guests started to enter, heading first to the bar before looking for places to sit.

“Lean back in your chair a little bit, don’t look so nervous. Turn to me and make it look like we’re having light hearted and amusing conversation.” Kai said harshly but managing to put a happy almost amused look on his face.

Kris did as told but was screaming curses at Kai in his head.

“Like this?” Kris asked, not keeping the bitterness out of his voice and he too relaxed his shoulders, sank into his seat and smiled fondly at Kai.

“Better.” Kai said, adding a chuckle like Kris had told a funny joke. He lightly punched Kris’s shoulder and took a sip of his drink, occasionally scanning the room quickly for potential clients.

As much as Kris wanted to follow Kai’s advice, he had a strange urge to turn and see how Lay was getting on.

“Did you get this whisky from the bar?” Kris asked turning to look at the bar where he had last saw Lay. There were a lot more guests in the room now, and after seeing that Lay was still with Chen at the bar he started to turn back to Kai. However he noticed someone else at the bar who seemed familiar. He hesitated, looking at the man who had his back to him. His hair was the same dark shade and his build was the same slim figure as the man who he had seen at the park earlier today. Just as the man started to turn away from the bar and his face slightly coming into his view, the sight was blocked by two women.

“Would you mind if we sat with you?” The woman asked.

“It would be a pleasure.” Kai said, flashing a pure white smile and leaning forward as if eager to know the girls. “But first I would love to know the names of the two beautiful women who want to sit with us.” Kai said, putting a look on his face like he was genuinely dying to know.

“I’m Krystal, and this is my sister Jessica.” The girl said, gesturing to herself and her sister.

Kai let out a noise of awe. “Those are beautiful names, not typical Korean names. Let me guess. You’re from Australia? No, no.” He shook his head and studied the girls, looking them directly in the eyes and putting a look of utter concentration on his face.

Kris lightly smacked Kai on the arm like a friend would. “Yah pabo, it’s obvious these pretty women are from America.” Kris used his usual cool glance on the two girls before speaking again in English this time. “My friend here is a little slow.” He chuckled before picking up his glass and taking a small sip, lifting his head slightly to show off the skin of his neck.

The night went on like this for a lot longer before the two sisters left and Kris and Kai were alone again. “You may be irritating as hell but you’re a natural at this.” Kai said, downing the remains of another glass of whisky before making a move towards the bar. Kris stopped him and took the glass.

“I’m dying to stretch my legs, let me get it.” Kris said, getting up from their table and heading to the bar. It was true that his long legs had been cramping under that table, but he also wanted an opportunity to scan the room again. While he waited for his and Kai’s order he peaked first left, then right. Chen and Lay were sitting with a group of women and laughing happily. Chen wiped a tear from under his eye and Lay seemed to be genuinely content. 

Suddenly there was someone else unusually close to Kris’s side. At first he thought it was Kai but when he turned he was met with jet black hair and catlike eyes. The person moved closer to talk directly into Kris’s ear.

“I saw you before. In the Park.” The man whispered seductively, his warm breath tickling Kris’s ear.

Kris remembered he was a host now and decided to try and act cool. Not that he didn’t try anyway.

“So what if you did?” Kris asked, smirking at the man and glancing at him from the corner of his eyes.”

“I liked what I saw.” The man said receiving his drink and sipping it, closely watching Kris’s face. “So you’re a host huh? It must have been my natural instinct to pick a host out of the crowd.”

“Technically I wasn’t a host when you saw me.” Kris said, turning to look at the man now.

“Because you were off duty?”  The man asked, confused.

“Because this is my first ever shift.” Kris replied, accepting his and Kai’s drinks from the barman.

“So this is your first night? Pretty good for a newbie. My name is Tao by the way, yours?”

“Kris.”

“Well Kris, you can expect to be privately ordered once you’ve… gotten more practise.” Tao looked Kris up and down and his lips before sipping his drink and pushing away from the bar. “See you later handsome.” Tao said before winking and walking away.

Kris shook his head as he watched Tao’s retreating figure then returned to Kai.

“I see you’re popular already.” Kai said having observed Kris’s encounter.

“Shut up.” Kris said, once again checking on Lay before pushing Kai’s drink towards him and sipping on his own. 

Really, what had Kris gotten into? He didn’t know the whole of it yet. 


I'm progressing with this quite quickly at the moment but I'm not sure I can keep this pace up. I'll try my hardest to keep updating, but I have an exam in two days so the posting might decrease a little bit. I hope you like it so far, and this chapter still needs proof reading so please ignore any minor mistakes. If there are any large mistakes in there, well I guess I'm blind as a pole. That's an expression right? Please comment what you think and subscribe for more! Tell me who do you want Kris to be with? Tao or Lay? Or maybe you ship him with Kai? 

Thank you so much for reading though, seriously! And to the few of you who have subscribed, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! 

-1990stalker-