Chapter 5

Ms. Matchmaker

CH.5

A wooden ballpen, instant camera, and brand new wrist watch were on the coffee table. A petite woman was looking at it for almost two hours now. She was thinking of different reasons why the woman she loved gave these things. First of all, it was not her birthday. Second, they were not BFF liked Soon-kyu. And third, wait, she was still thinking for the third reason.

“Why?” She mumbled. It was the question that kept on popping in her head.

“Why?” She mumbled again.

Her head shifted from the three things on her left to another two things on her right. The beautiful assistant who kept on giving her milk tea was now giving her gifts. Actually, the gifts were three but something happened (Jessica was involved).  

The first one was a peas in a pod stuffed that she loved. Second thing she gave was the cute knapsack. Frighten expression was showed on her face when she remember the fuming Jessica. Apparently, the cute knapsack that Shin-hye gave was the same with her. Their co-workers assumed that they were dating and having a couple thing was cute. For the whole day, Jessica was boring holes and giving death glares to her. And when the day ended, Jessica firmly and authoritatively said that they should wear the couple things that they bought. So the next day, Taeyeon received lots of teasing because of her being a ‘playgirl’. The third gift was blue new era cap. Jessica forcefully confiscated the new cap. Telling that the cap didn’t fit her albeit that she really loved the cap. Taeyeon just followed along.

“Ahhhhhhh!” She shouted frustratingly. Her hands were pulling her hair.

“Why are you shouting?” Taeyeon scooted away from the source of the voice.

“Ahhhhhhhh! Monster!” She shouted and pointed at the woman on her left side.

“Where?” The woman beside her looked around.

“You! Monster!” The latter pointed herself.

“Me?!” Taeyeon yelped in pain when the latter shoved her and punched her on her shoulder.

“Yah! Soon-kyu-ah! That hurts!”

“You deserve that dork!”

“What are you doing and how did you get inside my house?”

“I’m calling you for a thousand times already and you haven’t answered.” Taeyeon looked at her phone and saw 50 missed calls. Her eyes rolled because of her exaggerated best friend.

“I’m here because you gave me your code.” The petite woman scrunched her brows.

“Since when I gave you my code?” Taeyeon was keeping her code away from her nosy best friend and her tall girlfriend. She knew that they would use the code for their benefit. They will definitely crashed in her place without her permission. Taeyeon didn’t want that the holiness of her house would be tainted by the hormonal couple.

“While you were sleeping.”

“You listen to me while sleeping?!” Taeyeon hollered.

“Hey! What’s with you being loud today?” Soon-kyu covered her ears. The loud voice of Taeyeon was hurting her ears.

“Just answer my question!”

“Fine megaphone! I accidentally heard it. You were telling it to Jessica, actually.”

“Jessica?!”

“Yes megaphone, you’re megamind was dreaming of Jessica again and telling the code with a ert smile on your face.”

“ert?!”

“Gosh Megaphone! Are you not aware that you’re megamind is a megabyeontae?” Taeyeon shook her head.

“Now you know.” Soon-kyu smirked.

“Wait! I’m not a megabyeontae!” She defended herself.

“Says the one who keeps on smooching and telling weird things while sleeping.” The latter widen her eyes.

“I’m kissing while sleeping?”

“Yes, megabyeontae!” Taeyeon face palmed. This revelation was new to her.

“Did I really do that?” Her eyes were pleading.

“Yes.” Taeyeon slumped her shoulders. I am a megabyeontae?!

Soon-kyu looked at the things on the table.  “What are those?”

“Gifts.”

“From who?”

“This one was from Jessica,” Taeyeon pointed the one in the left. “Those are from Shin-hye.” Pointing her right.

“Wow!”

“Not wow.”

“Why?”

“I’m confuse why they are giving gifts. It is not my birthday and Christmas is seven months away.” Her best friend mentally face palmed. How could her best friend be so dense and stupid?

“You don’t know?” Taeyeon innocently shook her head.

“You’re stupid!”

“Yah! I’m not!”

“If you’re not, answer my question. Why are they giving these?” Soon-kyu pointed the things on the table.

“Yah Soon-kyu! That’s the question that keeps on bugging me. I really don’t know.” Taeyeon answered with exasperation.

“See, you’re stupid.” Her best friend nonchalantly said and leaned back on the backrest.

“I’m not stupid.” Taeyeon mumbled.

“Right.” Soon-kyu said with sarcasm.

“I really don’t know Soon-kyu,” She said lifting the body of her best friend and held her shoulders. “I really don’t know.”

The pixie haired woman heaved a sigh. Her best friend was a hopeless case of dense and stupid. Having this case had no cure. Only if someone whacked your head and made you realized the meaning behind it. What if I really whacked her head? Soon-kyu asked herself with a menacing smile. She lifted her hand and whacked the backside of Taeyeon’s head.

“Yah! What’s that for?” Taeyeon asked rubbing the sore spot on her head.

“I just feel that you need one.” She smiled.

“So Tae, why do you think they give you gifts?” The petite woman put her hand on her chin and contemplated.

“Because I’m adorable?” She answered with uncertainty. Her best friend rolled her eyes and whacked her head at the same time.

“Yah!” Taeyeon whined.

“Stupid! Think of another answer.” Taeyeon contemplated again. She snapped her finger.

“Aha! Because I’m awesome.” Soon-kyu lifted her left hand to smack her head but Taeyeon dodge it. The former knew that her best friend would do it so she ready her right hand to whack her head.

“Ouch!” The latter wailed and rubbed her head. She felt that a lump was formed.

 “You sneaky bunny!” She mumbled.

“Think of another answer.” Taeyeon contemplated a little longer. She was wracking her brain of the plausible answer. Finally! An answer came in her megamind.

“Aha!” She clapped her hand and pointed Soon-kyu.

“They are generous enough to buy me things because they have extra money. I’m right Bunny.” Taeyeon said wiggling her brows. Soon-kyu groaned and stood up.

“I’m taking back what I said. You don’t have megamind but a micromind.” The pixie haired woman walked out and slammed the door.

“Why is she mad?” Taeyeon mumbled.

“Is my answers not right?” She shrugged her shoulders.

 

 

Voices of people chatting happily were filled the milk tea store. The afternoon was calm and relaxing for the month of May. Jessica had been an intern for two weeks. The pepper haired woman started at the last week of April and she had 3 months left for the internship. The simple and insipid life of Taeyeon changed drastically. Her life turned upside down thanks to Jessica.

“What are you thinking?” A female voice asked her.

“I’m thinking about Jessica.” Taeyeon answered without looking or giving glance to the other figure.

“Why are you thinking about me?” The voice asked again with a giddy tone.

“She gave me three gifts already. She’s also acting weird every time Shin-hye-ah is around.” The petite woman heaved a sigh.

“You don’t know why I’m giving you gifts?” Taeyeon shook her head.

“I really don’t know.” The other figure wanted to shove her and slam her head against the wall.

“Maybe because I like you.” The petite woman perked up. Her eyes widen. The only part she heard was liked and her mind instantly connected it to Shin-hye not to Jessica.

“What?! Shin-hye likes me?” The latter cocked her head and saw a glaring Jessica.

“Jessica-ah? What are you doing there?” Taeyeon asked nervously.

“Obviously, I’m sitting.” The pepper haired woman answered deadpan.

“Since when did you arrive?”

“Enough to hear about you telling Shin-hye likes you.” The cheeks of the petite woman became red that made the other figure to throw fire at her.

“So you like hearing Shin-hye about liking you.” Taeyeon lowered her head and played with her fingers.

“Well, it’s not like that.” She said timidly.

“It’s the first time that someone like me.” The petite woman put a hand on her nape and shyly looked at Jessica.

“No one confess to you?” She shook her head.

“All of them fell for another person. Also, they were too engrossed to other people to notice me.” Taeyeon said sadly. It was true that no one dared to confess to her, in person.

“No one?”

“There are some confession in Instagram, Twitter, and my other SNS. I know they are just joking that’s why I didn’t consider it as a ‘real’ confession.”

“What if someone makes you feel their love?” Jessica asked seriously.

“I don’t know. Test the water first before telling myself that she really likes me or he likes me. I don’t care if she or he.”

“What if Shin-hye confess to you?”

“I will accept it and tell her that I appreciate it but I’m not sure if I can return her feelings.”

“Why?”

“Because I love someone else.” Taeyeon said and looked straight at the brown orbs of Jessica.

“Who?”

“Someone.”

“You really love her?” Jessica questioned with a twinkling in her eyes.

“Yes, I love her.”

“Then tell her. Maybe she likes you too.” Taeyeon shook her head.

“It’s impossible that she likes me.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. Wait, what’s with all these questions?” Jessica ignored her question and asked another one.

“What if someone show you how much they love you?”

“Didn’t you already asked me that?”

“Just answer it.”

“I need proof. I need to see it to tell that she or he likes me.” Jessica mumbled incoherent words that didn’t catch everything. Only the words dropping, hints, gifts, and stupid. I’ve been hearing the word stupid since my talk with Soon-kyu.

“Let’s go!” The pepper haired woman was tugging her arm.

“Where?” Taeyeon asked perplexed.

“Somewhere!”

“Where?”

“Don’t ask questions.” Jessica hissed. She dragged Taeyeon out of the milk tea store.

 

 

“Are we there yet?” Taeyeon asked panting. They already took 200 steps from the bottom of the Haneul Park. The pepper haired woman dragged her in this park without telling the reason.

“We’re almost there.” Jessica said and tugged her hand.

“Are we there yet?” She asked again. The pepper haired woman hushed her. Taeyeon zipped .

Albeit to the tiresome walking in this unending flights of stairs, she had energy because of the hand that was holding her. Jessica gave her strength. A smile crept on her face.

 

 

“We’re here!” Jessica hollered.

Taeyeon blinked and saw that they were in the top of the park. Her jaw dropped at the beautiful view of Seoul. It felt like she was on top of the world. She let go of Jessica’s hand and stood at the bench stone.

“I’m on top of the world!” Taeyeon hollered that made the pepper haired giggle.

“Dork!”

“Why are we here?” Jessica looked at Taeyeon.

“You read novels, right?” The latter nodded her head and jumped off the stone.

“In novels, the love interest of the protagonist wanted to see the sunset.”

“And?” Taeyeon asked.

“I wanted to see the sunset,” Jessica beamed a smile. Her hand lifted and lovingly caressed Taeyeon’s cheek. “With you.”

“Why?” Taeyeon’s heart was beating fast again. The Jessica effect was starting now. It was automatic to her every time she was around. First, her heart would beat fast. Second, the butterflies were in riot. Third and definitely the main Jessica effect was dysfunctional of her brain.

“Because every time I see the sunset, I know that the star would come out next. The star would brightly shimmer from the evening sky and gives light to the dark and melancholy night.” Jessica leaned closer and closer. Her lips and Taeyeon’s lips were centimeter away for the second time. The warm breath of Jessica was making Taeyeon shiver. But the two halted when Taeyeon’s phone rang.

“Damn!” Taeyeon mumbled. She was cursing and wanted to struggle whoever this caller was. Her phone flashed the name of her best friend.

“WHAT DO YOU WANT?!” She hollered right after she pressed the answered button.

“What’s with the ill-mannered and grumpy tone?” Taeyeon rolled her eyes. I really need to find a new best friend. She excused herself and walked somewhere far from Jessica.

“Why did you call?”

“Where are you?” Soon-kyu questioned back.

“Haneul.”

“What?!” Taeyeon pulled away her phone from her ears. The shouting of her best friend was hurting her eardrums.

“Yes, I’m here.”

“Why?”

“Jessica dragged me here to see the sunset.”

“What?!”

“Geez Soon-kyu!”

“Taeyeon! You can see the sunset in Han River.”

“I know! But Jessica wanted to see the sunset here.” Taeyeon heard that her best friend heaved a sigh.

“Just come back here on time.”

“Yes, we will.” Soon-kyu was about to hang up but Taeyeon stopped her. The latter asked for a favor to her best friend. The former said yes because Taeyeon was pleading.

“Thank you, Soon-kyu-ah!” Taeyeon hung up and the smile on her face instantly formed.

“Why did Soon-kyu called?” Jessica asked after Taeyeon got back.

“Just asking where I am.”

“Oh.”

The two stayed quiet. Taeyeon sat on the bench stone that she used a while ago. The pepper haired woman followed her and sat beside her. No words uttered but the two felt liked their hearts were do the talking. The latter intertwined their hands and leaned her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder. Instantly, Taeyeon felt that she was complete.

“Let’s take a picture.” The petite woman suggested and fished out her phone.

“Stand up.” Taeyeon tugged her hand. The two were standing now. The beautiful sunset was their background.

“One,” The phone was position near their forehead. Only their eyes, forehead and sunset were showed on the screen.

“Two,” Jessica leaned her head closer to Taeyeon.

“Three.” The picture came out great. The sunset was in its magnificent form. It made the two in the photo glowed naturally.

“Beautiful.” Taeyeon muttered. She stealthily made it as her home screen of her phone.

“Let’s go now.” Jessica tugged her.

The two descended from the 291 flights of stairs. Silence enveloped them. Taeyeon’s heart was beating fast again not because of tiredness but because of her. The star that finally landed and getting closer to her.

 

 

“You’re almost late!” Soon-kyu hollered to the goofily smiling Taeyeon.

“Sorry! Jessica and I got caught up with our dinner.” The former rolled her eyes.

“Move! Before Ha-Eun Boss scold you.” Taeyeon saluted.

“Dork!” Her best friend pivoted her heels but got stopped by Taeyeon.

“Is the thing I ask for you is already in the booth?” Soon-kyu nodded her head.

“Yes! So, go now.” Taeyeon ran and started her show. I hope that you will listen to this, my star.

 

 

“And we’re back! My dear listeners, I know that there is only 30 minutes left for our show.” There was an ‘AW’ sound effect.

“But! I have a good news!” She refreshed her twitter and saw the tons of excited listeners who wanted to know what the good news was.

“The good news is that I will sing a song for you!” Taeyeon said gleefully. She used clapping sound effect. New tweets flooded her again.

“Yes, I will sing a song.” A tweet caught her attention.

“MeltingMe18 asks who am I dedicating the song?” Her lips curved up.

“This song is for my star. I want to thank her for shining brightly every night. This song is the words I wanted to tell you.” Taeyeon stood up and grabbed the guitar that was on the guitar stand.

“Again, this song is for you my star.” She started to pluck the guitar strings.

Song: AKMU- I love you

“My eyes go to you automatically. It’s not even like the print on your clothes are eye-catching. Even when I’m doing something else all day. This person is quite alright…” All her listeners were listening to her sweet voice and the melodic sound of the guitar.

 

 

“I love you, I love you. On days I can see you, although it’s not just us two. My heart races, I’m telling you.” Taeyeon ended the song with a smile.

“Saranghae, my star.” She whispered.

Taeyeon stood up and put back the guitar in the guitar stand. She sat again and wore the headphone. Her twitter was overflowing of good feedback from her so called ‘on-air serenading’. Some female listeners were envying her star because she have a sweet DJ Taeng.

“Aw. Thank you everyone for you tweets. I’m touch.” The tweet of MeltingMe18 caught her attention again.

“Awwwww MeltingMe18. You felt that I’m serenading you?” She chortled.

“Is it really sweet? Am I sweeter than chocolate or candies?” The listeners tweeted with yes an answer.

“But my jellies are still sweeter.” She mumbled. Taeyeon saw that her best friend tweeted to her.

“Oh Bunny_loves_Shikshin, I’m not a dork, okay?!” Sooyoung also tweeted.

“Shinkshin_LovesYouMore_Bunny! I’m not a dork! Seriously! Change your twitter names. I’m puking rainbows because of your lame names.” Taeyeon saw that Shin-hye was signaling her that her show was about to end.

“Our beautiful assistant is here again and signaling that the show will end.” Taeyeon winked at Shin-hye. Thank goodness that they have a quite distance so Taeyeon didn’t saw the blushed on her cheeks.

“Okay beautiful Shin-hye-ah! I’m ending the show. So, this is Dj Taeng saying another day will end but don’t stop looking for him or her. Just wait for that person patiently. Like what everybody said, true love waits. This is another fun time with you my listeners. See you tomorrow! Bye!” She removed her headphones and exited the booth. Taeyeon was welcomed by the heartwarming clapped of co-workers. She gave a chin dimpled smile that was rare for them to see. Only when Taeyeon was too happy that her famous chin dimpled smile was shown.

 

 

Taeyeon was in the chilling room again. The listeners were still flooding her with tweets about her sweet ‘on-air serenading’. Everyone was happy to hear her angelic voice. They were telling her to become a singer and launch an album. She answered telling that no label would sign for her. A loud banged of the door caught her attention.

“Are you okay, Jessica-ah?” A fuming Jung Jessica was marching towards her.

“Yes!” Jessica sarcastically said.

“Really?” Taeyeon asked skeptically. The pepper haired woman shoved a piece of paper to her.

“What is this?” The petite woman asked while scrutinizing the words that were printed on the paper.

“An article, duh!” Jessica sarcastically said.

“Read it!” Taeyeon followed what Jessica said.

The title of the article was ’11 Signs Someone is in Love with You’

  1. They compromise.
  2. They introduce you to their family.
  3. They fart in front of you.
  4. They kiss you when you’re sick.
  5. They come out of the closet for you.
  6. The way they look at you.
  7. They save you the last Oreo.
  8. They let you pick the movie.
  9. They enjoy your natural body odor.
  10. They make a sign for you.
  11. You just know.

Taeyeon was done reading the article. “What am I going to do with this?”

“Keep it for future references.” Jessica answered.

“Wait, why are you mad?” Taeyeon asked. She really wanted to know why Jessica was mad.

“You got scolded again?” She guessed.

“No! Because some idiot serenade her special someone then compliment another girl.” The petite woman raised a questioning brow.

“Who?” The pepper haired woman groaned. She shoved the paper bag that she was holding.

“Think!” Jessica stomped on her left foot and left her.

“What’s with her?” She rubbed her aching foot. Her eyes focused on the paper bag.

“What’s inside?” Taeyeon looked inside the paper bag and saw a blue and purple mitten. The right was purple and the left was blue.

“What’s with the different colored mitten?” Then a loud rewinding sound heard inside her head. Another memory flashed in her head.

“Can’t be!”

 

 

People were wearing thick clothes to protect them from the cold weather. The time flew because it was Christmas time again. All of the stores were playing Christmas songs. People were in a rush to buy their gifts. But not for the petite woman. She already prepared the gift for her traffic girl.

The chime of the milk tea store rang. A mistletoe was hanging at the doorframe. A beautiful blonde woman entered, ordered, and sat in her usual seat. She removed the scarf and her coat. The blonde started to savor her milk tea and doughnut.

A pair of eyes were looking at her. The handmade mittens were securely kept inside the paper bag. The petite woman was waiting for the right time to leave the paper bag. It was 18th of the month and another gift would be given.

The blonde stood up and left to go to the restroom. Taeyeon abruptly stood up and put the paper bag on her table. She walked back to her place and grabbed the magazine that was lying on her table. Taeyeon read it but she kept a space for her to see the reaction of the blonde.

The woman she was eyeing was back and smiled as she saw the gift. It was like she was anticipating for the gift. Taeyeon saw the twinkling in her eyes when she saw the mitten. The blonde read the message.

The note said ‘Hello Jessica-ssi! Can I call you that? Please say yes! *puppy eyes* I will call you Jessica-ssi. *smiling and winking* Calling you Jessica will be the gift that I will ask from you. Ho-ho-ho.

I hope that you will like this mitten. I’m the one who made it. *Smiling proudly* you know what, I wish I’m the mitten because I will protect you from cold but I can’t be.

If I will be given a chance to be with you, I will be like a mitten, umbrella, coat, and other things that protect you from different seasons. I will protect you from the seasons with my tight, warm hug. I will stop here because I’m getting cheesy.

Merry Christmas, Jessica!

P.S. I called Santa and told him that I wanted you for Christmas. He said that I should wait a little because you are a precious gift and patience is a requirement for me. So while waiting, I will behave so Santa can give you to me in a shorter time.’

The blonde giggled and wore the mitten that was given to her. Taeyeon smiled seeing how much Jessica appreciated her gift. The sleepless nights and aching hands were definitely worth it.  Her smile was enough for Taeyeon.

 

”Maybe Jessica is giving my early Christmas gift because her internship will be over before Christmas.” She shrugged her shoulder and kept the mitten.

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5 done.

 

I hope that you like my update. I’m sorry if I’m making Taeyeon as SUPER DENSE in here. I’m also sorry for the OREO. It’s really part of the article. Sorry for the mistakes. ^__________^

Thank you for the Upvote, comment, and subscription. So, until next update.

Here is the link of the article.

11 Signs Someone is in Love with You