Chapter 1

Ms. Matchmaker

CH. 1

A blue sedan was parked near the side walk. The trunk was open. A woman wearing a sweatpants and hoodies was bringing out her spare tire. Inside her head, she was cursing and telling that this was her worse day of her life. The woman woke up late and got scolded by her program writer slash best friend. Next, she was drinking her favorite milk tea and accidentally tripped over that caused her milk tea to spill on her clothes. What made it worse was that all her work clothes were still in the laundry. That was the reason why she was wearing her sweatpants and hoodie. Now, she was changing the tire of her flat tire.

“What could be worse than this?” She asked herself while crouching and changing her tire.

Sweats were forming on her forehead. The woman was exerting a lot of effort in changing her tires. This task was not for her. Especially she have a petite body. Manly work was not her cup of tea. She was more of the leisure and laid-back woman. Her name perfectly describe her. Taeyeon literally means calm. That was the meaning she read in one of the baby books that she browsed. But right now, the word calm was not in her dictionary. How could she be calm when she was late for her meeting?

“Crap! Soon-kyu will definitely kill me.” Taeyeon was now thinking of different things how her best friend would slaughter her.

“Oh no! The murderer is calling.” The woman saw that her best friend was now calling her. She tossed her phone inside the car not caring where it would land. Her movement was now in a fast phase.

“Finally!”

She dusted her clothes and wiped her sweat. The woman closed the car trunk and ran in a jiffy. She rode inside the car and started it right away. But before she could drive, she search for her missing phone first. The woman saw ten missed calls and twenty messages.

“Crap!” Her fingers dialed the number of her best friend. She waited for five rings until the person on the other line answered. Taeyeon started to drive off.

“KIM TAEYEON!” The woman on the other line hollered on her.

“Yah Lee Soon-kyu! Stop shouting.” She hollered back.

“KIM TAEYEON! How can I not shout on you?! It’s already 8:30. The meeting started thirty minutes ago. Taeyeon, thirty minutes.” Lee Soon-kyu emphasized the last three words.

“I know, that’s why I’m driving like Michael Schumacher.” Taeyeon retorted. If the scenario was not like this, Taeyeon was sure that Soon-kyu will laugh at her lame joke. Unfortunately, Soon-kyu was more in the I-will-kill-you side than I-will-laugh-at-your-jokes side. Taeyeon just kept mum and listened to her shouting best friend.

The sedan stopped because the stoplight was showing red light. The woman inside turned her head sideward. Her whole world stopped. Everything around her suddenly became mute. She saw a captivating and dazzling woman. Taeyeon opened and suddenly, butterflies were around her. She felt like she was the one who released the butterflies. Her heart was also beating fast. The woman placed her hand against her chest.

“What am I feeling?” She asked while admiring the woman. The woman in the other car cocked her head and saw that Taeyeon was looking at her. She smiled at Taeyeon.

“OMO!” Taeyeon said and gasped. Her heart and pulse were overworking now. If Taeyeon would undergo Electrocardiogram (ECG) Test right now, everything will be at high level. The doctor would verdict that Taeyeon has an illness. But her illness was not ordinary, this illness was only experienced by the person who was in love.

“In love?” Taeyeon asked herself. She blinked her eyes and saw that the other car was nowhere to be found. The woman also heard the horn of the cars behind her. In split second, she drove off. This was the first time that Taeyeon dozed off.

“Yah Kim Taeyeon! What happened?” Soon-kyu asked in the other line. Taeyeon forgot that she was talking to her over that phone.

“Nothing.” She answered.

“Nothing?! Taeyeon, I heard horns from the car. What happened Taeyeon?” Worriedness was in her voice. Taeyeon smiled. Albeit to their situation, her best friend still cared for her.

“Hey Soon-kyu! I’m almost there.” She hung up and parked her car.

Taeyeon hopped off and ran inside the building. She was greeted by the guard and the employees that she saw in the hallway and elevator. The lift dinged. She was now in the eighteenth floor. A woman with a purple pixie hair welcomed her.

“Finally!” Taeyeon didn’t had a chance to greet her because she was dragged inside the conference room.

The conference room door opened. The two figures inside the room turned their head. The purple pixie haired woman and petite woman bowed to them. The two bowed back.

“Sorry I’m late.” Taeyeon apologized then bowed again.

“It’s okay, Taeyeon.” Dong-hyun said. The man was the head of their radio station.

“Sit down.” Taeyeon sat. She was across Dong-hyun. On her left side was Ha-Eun, she was the producer of her show. While on her right side, Soon-kyun was sitting beside her.

“So, Taeyeon. I summoned you here because I have a good news.” Dong-hyun looked at Ha-Eun.

“We want to tell you that starting tomorrow. You’re show will air at night time.” Taeyeon dropped her jaw. She was a radio jockey for a year and half now.

“Why?” She asked perplexed.

“Well, you’re show is getting famous. Listeners are sending us messages that they wanted to transfer your program at night. They explained that most of them are still at work when your program is airing. So, they requested if we can move you to a different time slot.” Ha-Eun explained.

“Wait, can you repeat it?” Taeyeon was still shocked. Her mind couldn’t comprehend that her listeners requested to move her time slot.

“Which one you didn’t understand?” Dong-hyun asked.

“That I’m famous and the thing that the listeners asked for me to change my time slot, Ajhussi.” The venerable man chortled. He was amused that the woman in front of him was oblivious of the fame she has now.

“Why are you laughing, Ajhussi?” Taeyeon heard someone was laughing on her left side. She cocked her head and saw that Ha-Eun was laughing.

“Tae, you didn’t know? Your show is the highest radio program right now.” Taeyeon’s eyes budged. Her eyes were now as big as a saucer.

“Seriously?” Her best friend patted her shoulder.

“Yes, Taengoo-ah. You’re famous now.” Soon-kyu said to her.

“Wow!” That was the only word that Taeyeon could uttered. She was still digesting the fact that she was famous.

“So Taeyeon, congratulations. Fighting!” Dong-hyung said and made a fist pumped.

“Thank you, Ajhussi!” Taeyeon stood up and bowed to him.

“Thank you, Ha-Eun unnie.” She also bowed to her.

“You’re welcome Taeyeon. Besides, you deserve this.” Ha-Eun said and gave her a smile that Taeyeon returned. The venerable man and the producer bade goodbye to Soon-kyu and the still dazed Taeyeon.

The conference room door closed. Taeyeon was still staring at the table blankly. Her best friend was rolling her eyes. How can her best friend since pre-school become so dense? Soon-kyu decided to wake her up from her drowning thoughts.

“Yah Taengoo-ah! Wake up!” Taeyeon woke from her thoughts. She looked at her best friend. Her lips turned upward and hugged her best friend.

“Soon-kyu-ah! My show is famous!” She hollered. The woman in her arms chortled.

“I know, Taengoo-ah. I know.” The two shared a hugged and laughter. The purple pixie haired woman was happy for her best friend. Taeyeon was also feeling the same but she was a thousand happier.

“Let’s celebrate.” Taeyeon dragged out of the room.

“Yay!”

 

 

Two figures were standing outside a store. The signage showed the words ‘Oh my Bubbles’. The pixie haired woman opened the door. She entered followed by Taeyeon. The duo were greeted by a tanned woman.

“Yuri-ah!” Soon-kyu called the woman that greeted them.

“Sunny-ah!” The tanned woman called back.

“How are you Yuri-ah?” The pixie haired woman asked.

“Great. The shop is starting to be known.” Yuri beamed a smile.

“Glad to hear that.” Taeyeon interrupted their conversation.

“Taengoo-ah!” The tanned woman hugged her.

“Congratulations!” Taeyeon heard Yuri telling her. The petite woman untangled herself and smile at her.

“Thank you, Yuri-ah!”

“Now, now, now Taengoo-ah. Treat me some bubble tea.” Soon-kyu grabbed her wrist and dragged her to the counter.

“Hello Sooyoung-ah!” The pixie haired woman greeted the woman in the counter.

“Hey baby!” Sooyoung beamed a smile that instantly melt the heart of Soon-kyu.

“I miss you, baby!” Soon-kyu said.

“I miss you too!” Sooyoung replied back. The two exchanged a loving stare. They got interrupted by someone whining.

“Uggh! Order now, Lee Soon-kyu!” Taeyeon whined.

“er! Fine! What do you want?”

“I want Taro milk tea.”

“Okay. One taro milk tea for this ill-tempered shorty.” Sooyoung stuck out her tongue to Taeyeon. The petite woman just rolled her eyes. The woman in the counter turned her attention back to the smiling woman.

“How about you, baby?” Sooyoung asked with her charming smile.

“I want you baby.” Soon-kyu answered with a cheeky smile. The petite woman cringed because of the shameless flirting.

“Later baby,” Sooyoung winked at her. “Now, order.”

“I will order the same with Taeyeon.”

“Okay. Two taro milk tea for the ill-tempered shorty and for my baby. Coming up!” The woman in the counter started to make the milk teas. The duo on the other hand sat down. Taeyeon was sitting in the armchair facing Soon-kyu and the entrance of the store.

“Here is your order.” Sooyoung put the two taro milk tea on the table. She gave a chaste kissed to Soon-kyu first before running back to the counter.

The duo enjoyed their milk tea. Taeyeon was busy telling Soon-kyu the reason why she was late. Her best friend just laughed at the misfortune of her best friend. But one thing caught her attention.

“What did you say?” Soon-kyu asked.

“About?”

“The woman you saw during the ride to the station.”

Taeyeon explained to her the things she felt. Soon-kyu was listening to her intently. The pixie haired woman was sure that her best friend was in love with this woman she saw. But she was sure that her best friend will not and would not pursue her if they will meet in the future.

“Describe her face.” She waited for Taeyeon’s reply but she heard nothing. Soon-kyu raised her head and saw that Taeyeon’s mouth was agape and her eyes were wide.

“Yah Taengoo!” The shocked woman didn’t budge. She was just staring blankly. Soon-kyu followed the line of sight of her best friend. There was a voluptuous vixen that was ordering in the counter. A smirked formed in her lips.

“She’s your traffic girl, right?”

Traffic girl. That words echoed in Taeyeon’s head. The feeling she felt came back to her. The moment that the woman opened the door and sashayed inside the store brought back the feeling. opened again and butterflies were surrounding her. Her heart was beating fast again. She thought that her heart might explode if she will not stop gawking at her.

“Yeah.” Taeyeon answered absentmindedly. Her mind was still not with her.

“Sooyoung!” Soon-kyu beckoned her tall girlfriend. The tall woman happily ran towards her girlfriend.

“What is it baby?”

“What is the name of her?” The former asked while pointing at the woman waiting for her order. The latter pouted.

“Why are you asking her name?” Sooyoung asked. Jealousy was evident in her voice.

“Aw. My baby is jealous.” Soon-kyu stood up and hugged her. She lifted her head and looked at her girlfriend.

“I’m asking her name because the shorty over there is gawking at her.” The pout changed into a smile.

“Oh. Here name is Jessica.” Sooyoung answered. Soon-kyu gave her a kissed as a thank you.

“Any more questions?” The tall woman asked.

“Why?” Soon-kyu asked smirking.

“So I can have a kiss.”

“Just ask for it baby. I gladly kiss you.” Soon-kyu kissed her again.

“Yah! Stop that!” Taeyeon hollered. Her senses was finally back. The first thing she saw after coming back from her trance was her best friend kissing her girlfriend.

“Hey Shorty! The traffic girl name is Jessica.”

Jessica, what a beautiful name. Taeyeon thought. Her mind was filled with Jessica and the way the woman sashayed and swayed her hips while walking. The petite woman went home with only one thing in her mind. Jessica. She closed her eyes and sleep with the thought of her. The calendar in her phone was marked. August 18, 2012 was now her favorite day.

 

 

“Yah Taengoo-ah! Wake up!” A groaned escaped from her lips. She opened her eyes and saw the glare of her best friend.

“What Soon-kyu?!”

“Wake up now. You’re show is about to start.”

“Geez! You can wake me up in a nice way.” She said with annoyance in her voice. Her hand grabbed the cup beside her. She zipped her favorite milk tea.

“So, you went to Oh my Bubbles.” Taeyeon nodded her head and chewed the pearl of her milk tea.

“Did you see her?” She nodded her head again.

“Did you give her a gift again?” Taeyeon shook her head.

“Remember Soon-kyu. The last gift I gave was last February. It’s already April.”

“Taengoo-ah, just talk to her and make a move.”

“You know that is the last thing I would do.” Soon-kyu groaned.

“Tae, that charm you have is not true. You cannot magically make someone become lovers.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes. This talk was getting tiresome.

“Soon-kyu, my charm is proven and tested. Remember, I like Sooyoung and I introduce you to her. Next thing I knew, you’re became a couple. Then Yoona-ah. I like Yoona and introduced her to Yuri. Poof! They became a couple…” Taeyeon continued telling her best friend the woman that she liked since her puberty until now. She was already twenty-four. And she couldn’t count in her fingers how many woman she liked and played as their matchmakers.

“Another proof is my show, Soon-kyu!” Taeyeon hollered frustratingly.

Taeyeon’s show was titled ‘Ms. Matchmaker’. If you’re a single and looking for a partner or someone to fall, just call their hotline and they will look up for someone to pair to you. Then after that, you found your missing piece. You found the one. But ironically, Taeyeon couldn’t be with her the one.

“Tae, it’s just a fallacy. Don’t believe that.” Her best friend was looking at her. The glare and fierce looked she gave was now a soft and gentle stare.  

“You know I don’t want to introduce myself to Jessica. You know that I she’s different.” Soon-kyu nodded her head.

“Yes, she’s different because she was the one who made your heart beating erratically. And also the one who released the butterflies in your stomach.”

Taeyeon had a belief about her the one. The person that would make her heart race and gave butterflies in her stomach was the person she will spend her life with. Unfortunately, Taeyeon was born as a matchmaker. If she introduced the person she like to someone, they will become couple. And her fingers and toes were not enough to count the person that became a couple because of her.

“But Taeyeon, you’ve been eyeing Jessica for a year.”

“One year, nine months, fourteen days, and twelve hours. Look who’s counting.” Taeyeon said that earned a slapped from her best friend.

“See Taeyeon! You are her stalker for a year and nine months.”

“Excuse me! I’m not a stalker.” Taeyeon defended herself.

“Tae, the things you did was stalker-ish. Giving her gifts every eighteenth of the month. Gawking at her while enjoying your milk tea. Is not that an act of a stalker?”

“Excuse me! I’m an admirer not a stalker.” Soon-kyu wanted to shove her best friend and collide her head against the wall.

“Whatever! Taeyeon, the point is to talk to her.”

“NO!”

“YES!”

“NO!”

“YES!”

“LEE SOON-KYU, NO!”

“KIM TAEYEON, YES!” The two got interrupted by another person.

“YAH! STOP SHOUTING!” Ha-Eun shouted to them.

“Sorry, Unnie!” The two bowed and walk outside the waiting room. Soon-kyu was still convincing Taeyeon to talk to Jessica.

“No, Soon-kyu!” Their conversation ended because Taeyeon was beckoned to the radio booth. The show was about to start.

 

 

“And this is the end of our show for tonight. This is Dj Taeng saying another day will end but don’t stop looking for him or her. Just wait for that person patiently. Like what everybody said, true love waits. This is another fun time with you my listeners. See you tomorrow! Bye!” Taeyeon removed her head phone and leaned back on the backrest of the swivel chair. Another pairing time ended. When will be my time? She asked herself. Taeyeon stood up and bade goodbye to her workmates.

 The hallway was silently. A petite woman was alone in the hallway. She was waiting for the elevator. The petite woman was drowning again in her swamp of thoughts. Taeyeon was oblivious to her surroundings. Another figure joined her. The elevator dinged that broke her thoughts. She marched inside and pressed the G button.

A deep sigh escaped from Taeyeon’s lips. She wanted to follo what Soon-kyu was telling her but she couldn’t. Taeyeon didn’t have strength to see her with someone else’s girlfriend. And worse was, she will be the reason why she will find her the one. Taeyeon wanted to be Jessica’s the one. She heaved another sigh.

“That was deep. You’re like in abyss or something.” Taeyeon whipped her head to the side. She held her breath when she saw who the person that talked to her.

“You’re Dj Taeng, right?” She asked. Taeyeon nodded her head.

“I see you in Oh my Bubbles. You’re a regular there.”

The petite woman was trying to find her voice. She opened but no words came out. Taeyeon was mentally face palming herself. She decided to nod her head as an answer.

“You’re a dj, right? But why are you not talking to me?” The other person was looking at her. Frown was shown on her face.

“You’re one of my favorite dj. I always listen to you.”

“Re-a-l-ly?” Taeyeon stuttered. By the way, aside from being a matchmaker. Taeyeon was also a love doctor. People who were lost in love call to her to find direction. And like what happened to her matchmaking, the people who confined their problem to her always ended up finding a solution.

“I think that you’re a good lover.” The petite woman blinked her eyes multiple times. She wanted to laugh because in her twenty-four years. She never had a relationship. Taeyeon was just a good listener and advisor.

“Actually, I’m never had a relationship.” Taeyeon turned her head to the front. She saw through the reflection from elevator that the other woman was shocked.

“How can you give advices like that?”

“I don’t know. I just listen and tell them of the right things to do.”

The elevator door opened. They were already in the ground floor of the building. The two walked silently. Taeyeon was stealing glances at her. This was one of the moment that she will treasure.

“Nice to meet you, Dj Taeng.” The other woman held her hand.

“Nice to meet you too.” She shook her hand. Taeyeon felt that her skin was so smooth and soft.

“I’m Jessica Jung.” The petite woman wanted to say I know your name. But she decided not to. It was creepy to know that a stranger knew your name. Taeyeon realized that what Soon-kyu said was stalker-ish.

“Nice to meet you, Jessica-ssi.”

“Bye Dj Taeng!” The woman bade goodbye. Taeyeon noticed that Jessica changed her hair color. Before it was blonde but now it was black.

“Taengoo!” A female voice called her name. Taeyeon cocked her head and saw Soon-kyu standing at the lobby. She skipped happily to her best friend.

“What happened to you? Are you high or something?” Soon-kyu examined the face of her best friend. She looked like she took drugs.

“Nope, I’m not high. But I think she’s my drug.” Taeyeon said dreamily.

“WHO?! YAH KIM TAEYEON! ARE YOU CHEATING ON JESSICA?!” Soon-kyu asked. The face that Taeyeon was showing was the in love Taeyeon face.

“What?!” Taeyeon looked at her incredulously. How can she cheat on Jessica if the woman was all in her mind?

“Lee Soon-kyu! Jessica is here. She shook my hand.” The petite woman showed her right hand to her. Soon-kyu held her hand.

“Yah! Don’t hold my hand.” Taeyeon swatted her hand. Soon-kyu laughed at her. It was confirmed that Taeyeon was a love sick puppy.

 

The petite woman went home. She showered but her right hand was wrap with a plastic. Taeyeon was protecting her hand from the things that could washed off the touch of Jessica. Before Taeyeon sleep, she took a selca and posted it on her Instagram account. She posed showing her right hand. The caption was ‘If I can hold your hand for a million years, I would’. Taeyeon dozed off and traveled to her dream land.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1 done.

This is the start of Ms. Matchmaker. The Kim Taeyeon’s girlfriend will be posted this week. Stay tuned!

 

Subscribe, comment, and upvote. ^___________^