08: The Calibrated Contract

The Impassioned Interchange
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Calibrated Contract

Chanyeol’s ears perked upon the sound of his phone ringing, which made him stand up from his bed and head towards his phone that was lying on his well-organized dressing table – a very organized dressing table with only a few products atop. His eyebrows went up as he saw the caller ID. It was Choi Hana, his formal secretary as of six hours ago.

Why was she calling at this time?

That question had immediately flew on his mind, making him wonder what she wanted from him yet again. He sighed in defeat, remembering their deal earlier that day. Groaning, he swiped the green button on the phone indicating that he was accepting the call.

“What?” The CEO’s annoyed voice had greeted the other, though the person on the other side didn’t seem fazed. It was already ten o’clock in the evening and the CEO had already planned on sleeping early for the night, knowing that there would be a bunch of work to be done in the office tomorrow with the amount of stress from his employees and his former secretary not included, of course.

“Good evening, sir. May I ask if you happen to be busy at the moment? I called as I want to discuss a few important matters with you, if possible, tonight.” Choi Hana said on the other line.

The CEO groaned again, the veins on his head protruding as he soon felt a headache forming. “Whatever,” he mumbled, his demanding voice coming back to life afterwards. “Speak,” he ordered as he sat back down on his bed, leaning his back on the headboard to make himself comfortable until they converse, at the very least.

“Regarding the contract that we have discussed six hours ago, may I ask for your permission to commit an adjustment to our agreement?”

Chanyeol frowned, “What adjustments?”

“Well, first of all, I think that it is wholly inequitable on my part to work on setting the company’s reputation back without getting paid. Not to be onerous nor burdensome sir, but I do have to take care of my necessities. I’m afraid that I won’t be able to work without getting paid.”

It was true. They had come up with a contract to seal the deal six hours ago – a very informal contract that they had made in the peak of time, with a mere paper Chanyeol took from his office and a pen. They wrote the contract together with a few rants from the CEO as to proper terms and whatnot to be placed in a contract and signed afterwards, showing the agreement between both sides.

It was seemingly understandable for Hana to complain though, seeing as how Chanyeol practically wrote the entire contract.

She was partly on fault as well as she didn’t read the entire contract wholly. Then again, it wasn’t her fault. There were a lot of details then, and all she wanted at that time was to formally seal the deal.

“Don’t you know what contracts do? You can’t just make adjustments when we already signed the contract. The deal has already been made. We can’t, no. I don’t approve this. Plus, you said to give you only a mere two weeks of time. Why waste my money on your service that will surely last for only two weeks? You’re wasting my time,” Chanyeol argued, despite his understanding of the situation.

He did, in fact, write a statement about her pay – which was nothing – as he figured that there was no point of paying back the latter. She was the one offering in the first place, too.

“Sir, with all due respect, both parties should be able to make a negotiated and equitable agreement. Contracts should be fair for both parties. I will work for you, hence you have to pay me for my service. Moreover, we didn’t make an official contract too. It was made by merely a pen and a piece of paper. I do think that I have the right to demand on this matter. And how do you even know that I will only last for two weeks, sir? What if I do bring back your company to its rightful place?”

“Informal or not, and if you do bring the company back or bring it down even more, we had already signed the contract. Again, I don’t approve of this. End of conversation,” he said.

“Sir, please. We’re not talking about charity here. We’re talking about my welfare – my well-being. With all due respect, how can you honestly expect me to work without getting paid? As much as I want to acquire another job to support my needs, I can’t as I have to work all-nighters for your company. Besides, we can just make another contract, as long as you agree of course.”

The CEO groaned for the third time, his eyes drooping as he felt restless.

Rubbing his fingers on his temples, he signed, knowing that he should just agree with the argument if he wanted to sleep already. “Fine. I’ll make the revisions on the contract tomorrow morning, but do not expect me to make unnecessary adjustments in the future, understand?” He sternly said, his eyes already closed from drowsiness.

He had been sleeping less and less the preceding days, too, from the stress emanating from the issues that had been posted in the internet, much less the lawsuit Kim Jongin and Oh Sehun who had apparently filed against him for being a physical abuser.

“Sir, about that, I have the original contract with me. I did ask for your permission to take the contract home earlier, remember? Also, I have already typed in the new contract that I made with the revision we discussed, and I also sent you a copy on e-mail. I made it simpler as well, with less words. I do think that it would be best to read the document to you right now in case you want me to change anything.”

Chanyeol sighed, acknowledging her words as he fought back the sleep that was haunting him at the moment. “Go on.”

 

“Okay, here goes. Agreement made as of this nineteenth of October year 2015, by and between the employer and the CEO of PCY Corporation, Park Chanyeol, having the company’s principal office at Seocho-dong, Seocho-gu, Seoul, South Korea, and the employee, Choi Hana. The employee wishes to provide her service with the sole purpose of bringing the company back its lost reputation to the public, and in return shall the employer consider precedence of the matter and the recommendations that the employee may suggest, minding the primacy of both parties.

The employer, on the other hand, shall supply the employee with the proper pay check so as to her service, as well as the necessary information that will be needed during certain circumstances. The agreement will only commence over two weeks, until the third of February, 2015. The employee therefore will be subjected to shouldering the necessary damages and expenses acquired over the due of time, which is to be paid after a month. Moreover, the employer will be subjected to cooperation, but can possible deny any suggestion if it affects the company’s stability. Likewise, the employee cannot converse into action without the employer’s approval. As such, in a span of two weeks that the employee manages to improve the company's welfare shall the employer grant her the secretarial position permanently. Failure to comply with the requisites above will subject to a breach of contract, which may result in a lawsuit."

 

Hana spoke, the contents of the contract as stated. "That’s about the content I placed in the contract, excluding the other minor details that need not to be said anymore. Is the content to your approval though?” She asked, her voice hopeful.

Chanyeol, who previously had his eyes closed from drowsiness, was now officially sleeping, his head resting on the headboard with his phone on his lap. He had been unaware of the other person speaking on the other line, as he was already drifting into sleep. His head had slightly shifted in its position, his breathing soft as his eyes stayed closed from fatigue.

Light snoring could be heard on the other line, which made the other sigh.

“You should’ve just told me you were sleepy. I wouldn't have talked to no one then. Good night, sir.”

 

*** *** ***

 

Hana ducked her head, feeling flustered from her now company-mates’ eyes. Apparently, heads had automatically flew to her direction as she entered the building. She wasn’t entirely sure if it was because of her clothes, if something was wrong with whatever she was wearing or carrying, or it if it was the fact that she had gone back to work after getting fired by the CEO himself.

She puffed her cheeks before making a beeline towards the elevators impatiently tapping her foot as she joined the short line in front of the steel doors. She would’ve lifted her head up high as if the stared hadn’t bothered her, but she couldn’t, primarily because there were a lot of eyes on her, which made her feel surreal.

As much as she wanted to act impassive, she really couldn’t, much less with judgmental eyes. Yes, she was used to being judged and criticized before, but then again, she was a mere secretary at the company, hence she had no right to act like all proud and high.

She ducked her head down for the simple reason of her position, and the fact that she did not want to re-enlarge the issue.

“Good morning, Miss Choi,” Jongdae, who had arrived to join the queue, greeted, flashing the latter with a bright smile.

“Eh, just call me Ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter