Lies

Complicated Matters

Taemin checks the clock above his bed for the third time that night. Its reads 7:15 pm. He notices that Jinki has been making an effort to come home earlier these days, which makes him lot happier but it doesn’t eradicate his suspicions of Jinki hiding something from him. So in order to get his husbands’ undivided attention he has been cleaning more, cooking various meals and being  a lot more-

“Oh” Temin sits up when he hears Jinki’s car engine stops. He’s home.  Temin adjusts himself properly on the  centre of the king sized bed, being careful enough not to push off anymore rose petals and to execute the pose he’s been practicing earlier in the evening.

“Taemin!” Jinki calls from downstairs. Taemin remains still and hears the other ascending the stairs.

“Taemin we-” Jinki stops mid sentence, shocked from the arousing sight of a Taemin laying ily before him.

“Hi babe.” Taemin blows a kiss and Jinki has just completely lost himself. Taemin revels in the comfort of his husband’s arms as he embraces and trails kisses down the spans of his neck.

Before Taemin dozes off that night, he remembers looking in the mirror during the day when he realized that he’s already showing.

***

“Honey do you think I should wear this red shirt or this green shirt?”

Jinki scrunches his forehead in thought as he ponders about Taemin’s outfit. “Green’s better.”

Taemin takes a look for himself and agrees.

“What would I do without you?”

He pecks Jinki’s pouting lips. Taemin sits at the edge of the bed and waits patiently as the other readies himself for their movie date. He hasn’t been on a decent date with him in quite a while and he can’t help but shake with excitement. But he still hasn’t told Jinki of the great news, that they have a little one on the way. Taemin is overjoyed but at the same time very scared about Jinki’s reaction when he does tell him. He’ll just have to hold off a little longer but he’s already showing. (He’d only taken the pregnancy test to officially put his speculations to rest.)

“Ready?” Jinki asks. Taemin nods and follows him down the stairs.

***

Jinki waits outside the theatre by the snack counter with tickets in hand. Taemin has gone to the restroom and the movie is about to start in 15 minutes. He looks around, surprised by the number of middle-aged people interested in the movie. Jinki is the least interested in the movie or Lee Minho (who Taemin describes as being extremely handsome) but in appeasing Taemin and spending some time with him. This is a good night, he thinks until he hears his name being called.

“Jinki! …Jinki!” Jinki turns to see none other than-

“Kibum?” He smiles nervously. “Why-why are you here?” He begins his voice shaky.

“I told you I was planning on see Faith!” Kibum exclaims enthusiastically. Jinki notices how exceptionally handsome the other looks today in his casual attire.

“Oh” Jinki fidgets awkwardly.

“Hey” Kibum smile fades. “I thought you had other engagements. What are you doing here then?”

Jinki’s throat is dry. He’s been caught in his own lie.

“Oh” Kibum’s eyes fall to the ground. He’s hurt that Jinki lied to him.

“Kibum, I didn’t mean to lie. It’s just that-

“You didn’t want to be seen with me?” Kibum looks up to meet the other’s stare. “Is that it? Because you’re married? I’m hurt.”

“Jinki!” Both Jinki and Kibum avert their attention towards the source of calling.

“Jinki.” Taemin pants as he locks his arms with Jinki’s. “The movie is about to start.”

Key sees this and his eyes widen in astonishment.

“Kibum!” Taemin greets. “You’re here to see Faith as well?”

Jinki is lost for a moment. Temin and Kibum know each other?

“Hi Taemin, yeah I’m with a friend, Jonghyun over there.” He points towards the theatre’s entrance where Jonghyun is standing with a bucket of popcorn. Jinki burns with jealousy when he’s aware that Key came with Jonhyun but he puts a smile on his face anyway. Kibum’s heart clenches when he sees a ring on Taemin’s finger and the latter must have noticed him staring because he says-

“Kibum, this is my husband, Jinki and Jinki this is one of my classmates from Yoga, Kibum.” Taemin’s introduction is uncalled for since Jinki and Taemin are well acquainted with each other.

Jinki explains that they already know each other from work. He feels like crap when he sees hurt flashing in Kinum’s eyes. He wants to pull him in for a hug and kiss him senseless like they do after a long day of work but the movie starting, and they are being ushered inside and Taemin is attached to his arm talking animatedly about the show and he turns to see Jonghyun walking alongside Kibum but Kibum is not listeing to Jonghyun, Kibum is staring at Jinki with eyes full of hurt and so he turns back around and takes a seat beside Taemin.

Jinki doesn’t register one word of the movie that night.

Taemin sleeps contentedly with his head on Jinki’s chest.

Jonghyun goes home happy that his date with Kibum was a great one.

Kibum cries himself to sleep with the intention of not turning up for work the following week.