That's it!

Complicated Matters

“Who the hell are you?” Jinki demands gruffly. After driving quietly as he could into the driveway and having tip-tied to the front door, he’d expected to make it into his own home unnoticed and join a sleeping Taemin in bed. He didn’t expect  a stranger to greet him by the door.

“Oh I-I’m sorry” He stammers “I’m a friend of Taemin, Minho.” He extends his arm politely for a handshake which Jinki refuses to acknowledge. Yes of course Taemin had mentioned Minho before and how could Jinki forget him already.

“Minho.” Taemin calls from a distance and approaching footsteps are heard. “Oh!” He exclaims joyfully when he sees Jinki. “You’re home. I was worried sick about you.” He whimpers in Jinki’s ear as he embraces him.

“Well I’ll be going-”

“No wait. Taemin smiles. “Jinki this is my dear friend, Minho and Minho this is my husband , Jinki.” He says proudly.

“Nice to meet you.” Minho once again offers a hand and Jinki accepts to appease Taemin.

“Minho was staying with me until you arrive. I was worried sick and the neighborhood is not as safe as it once was…so I’m grateful.”

Jinki nods now understanding the purpose of Minho’s presence in his house at such late hour of the night.

“Thanks for coming. I appreciate it.” Minho bows and leaves.

Jinki trudges to the bedroom with Taemin following behind.

“Busy night at the office?” Taemin begins but Jinki is not in the mood for a conversation right now, he only needs a cold , long shower.

“Yeah.”

Silence.

Jinki removes his jacket and unbuckles his belt.

“Ok then.” Taemin looks around and notices that Jinki’s eyes are avoiding his and that he’s grown a lot more distant in the past few weeks.

“You know what , Taemin, I’m tired and work is really stressful and all I want to do is to shower and go to sleep.” Jinki removes his last article of clothing, spares a quick glance at the other and closes the bathroom door.

Snappy, Taemin thinks. He sighs and begins to put Jinki’s clothes in their respective places.

“Oh Jinki.” He picks up the Jacket and squeezes it. He’d bought the black garment for Jinki’s 26th birthday last year. He remembers how elated Jinki was when he presented it to him.

“Memories.” He says to himself. He squeezes it again and brings it up to his nose.

He freezes.

The pungent smell of perfume filters his nostrils. After a day of handwork who comes home smelling so strongly of perfume unless it is being used to mask or hide something. This unnerves Taemin. He doesn’t like how he feels about Jinki skipping dinner, coming late and smelling as if he’s just been bought.

“Let’s not jump to conclusions.” He tries to convince himself. The door clicks open, jolting Taemin from his thoughts to see a fairly wet Jinki emerging in his glory and is then reminded of something. It excites Taemin but he’s anxious to tell Jinki since he’s not completely certain.

When they are lying in bed, Taemin reminds Jinki of Saturday night, imploring that he has to make time for a movie because he promised 6 weeks ago. (Someone’s been counting.)

Faith is playing remember?”

“Oh.” Jinki racks his brain for the memory but cannot seem to find it. “Well , anyway, were going to see it, ok?” Taemin’s voice has a tone of finality.

“Yeah ok.” Jinki complies

“Good.” Taemin , satisfied leans over and pecks the other. “Good night.”

“Good night.” Jinki turns and nestles his pillow. However, Taemin is not so comfortable. His breath hitches when he sees flushed red marks littering his husband’s neck.

That night Taemin has nightmares of his husband abandoing him and their unborn child

…….

“So are you ready for this Saturday night?” Kibum asks in a seductive manner as he straddles Jinki.

“Hmm.” Jinki hums as Kibum is seated atop of  him and kisses his nose.

“I have two tickets for Faith.” He says excitedly. “You me and a movie.”

“Faith is playing remember?”

“Oh.” Jinki racks his brain for the memory but cannot seem to find it. “Well , anyaway, were going to see it, ok?” Taemin’s voice has a tone of finality.

Jinki gulps audibly. “I’m sorry Kibum but I have plans.”

“Kibum stops whatever he’s doing and looks Jinki in the eye. “But I texted you the other day and you said you’d come.”

Jinki cringes when he hears the evident disappointment in the other’s voice and he feels guilty for always putting off their public dates.

“I’m sorry Ki-”

“You don’t want to be seen with me. I get it. You’re married and I should respect that.” Kibum gets off Jinki.

“Kibum!” Jinki stops Kibum before he can leave the office. “I-I’m sorry but I have other engagements. “He cups Kibum’s face. Kibum nods and Jinki kisses him tenderly.

“Oh Key don’t look so down.”

“It’s just that I’d gotten two tickets and I anticipated spending some time out instead of being here, at work and cooped up in my stuffy apartment.”

“Your apartment is not stuffy.” Jinki jokes.

“Yah! That’s not the point.” But Kibum isn’t the least bit angry. The joke has lifted his spirits somewhat and he’s been a lot happier since Jinki has been frequenting his place at nights, spending their time catching up, joking around, cuddling, eating and occasionally making love. Jinki’s married, he knows but he loves him. Kibum loves Jinki and wants to be with him.

Taemin impatiently taps his fingers against the bathroom counter top. He checks the clock, 2:50pm. It’s been two minutes but it feels like two hours. He has just-

“One more minute.” One more minute. It can either break him or make him.

“Come on baby hurry up. I aint getting any younger.”

He looks at the clock again, 2:51 pm. Excited, he leans over and peers at the little device between his toothpaste and toothbrush holder. And there it is. That’s it! The results he’s hoped for. He’s now certain, so very certain. Completely lost for words he throws his palm over his mouth in order to contain his joy.

“I can’t believe it.” The tears evident in his eyes. “I can’t believe this is real.” He shrieks and laughs at his own silliness.

“I’m pregnant!”