First love never dies

Complicated Matters

“I think her hair should be longer. I don’t know why but it’s just a suggestion.” Jonghyun nods as he listens to Jinki. “And maybe the colour red?”

“Fiery red?”

“Yeah” Jinki affirms. “Fiery red would be good.” He finishes his discussion with the assistant artist and leaves the room.

On his way to his office, another image of Kibum flashes before his eyes. It’s wrong, so terribly wrong to be entertaining thoughts of romancing another man when you’re already married. It’s wrong but very tempting. He finds himself standing before the in which Kibum works. His hand is raised, in mid-air, as he wonders if he should knock and enter or turn away but before he arrives at a decision the door opens and he’s met with a smiling Kibum.

“I thought it was you. Still indecisive as ever?” kibum jokes and the other chuckles a bit nervously.

“Dude!” I’ m not going to beat you up, get in here!” He hauls in Jinki by the arm and closes the door with a click. Jinki takes a minute to digest the younger’s work area. There are walls covered in scraps of sketches, unfinished paintings and incomplete photographs.

“You haven’t changed one bit.” He says to himself.

“So…” Kibum walks before him with his fingers tucked into the front pockets of his tailored pants. “Why do you want to see me?”

“I  don’t know, my feet brought me here…heheh”

“Why are you so awkward around me?”

“I’m not.” Jinki said defensively.

“Suuuure.”

“I really am not.”

“This is like high school all over again.” A long pause follows Key’s statement and Jinki uses this opportunity to approach him and place a kiss to the other’s lips.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” Key exclaims after pushing the other away.

“I’m sorry!” Jinki blurts and uses his hands to cover his face in embarrassment. “I-I was acting on impulse…I’m sorry Kibum.”

“Jinki… you’re married.”

“I know, I know”

“And I respect your marriage and you should too.” Kibum advises.

“Does that mean…well are you? He gives up on his question and apologizes once again and heads for the door.

“I still love you.” Jinki freezes. Time stops. Everything is still. Is he hearing right or is his imagination in  overdrive?

“If you’re wondering…yeah, I still love do but you’re married and that changes everything.”

Jinki turns knob and slips out.

***

“Can you turn the tv on? I want to watch the Rugby match that everyone’s talking about.”

“Jinki… the cable was terminated this morning.”

“What?” Jinki groans “Didn’t I give you the money to pay for it?”

Taemin closes the fridge and pads over to the dining table with a fruit salad in hand.

“I told you it couldn’t cover the balance completely.” Taemin says. “I made you a salad.”

Jinki mutters a thanks and takes the salad from Taemin and begins to eat in silence.

“Are you angry at me?”

“No.”

“Jinki!”

“Taemin.” He sighs and gets to his feet. “I’ll be on the balcony.”

I still love you.

Jinki hears Kibum’s voice as he overlooks his backyard where the trees are dancing in the wind. It’s not hot that day. No, it’s not. It’s rather cool and windy but Jinki is burning up. His head is spinning with hope that they might have chance again. He smiles at the idea and laughs at his absurdity. He’s married for Pete’s sake! The creaking of the sliding door breaks his reverie.

“Jinki …” Taemin calls softly as he doesn’t want to upset Jinki even further. “It’s late, baby. You’ve been out her for almost 2 hours.”

Jinki turns to see a timid Taemin approaching him. “Come inside, Jinki.”  Jinki obliges.

“I warmed the water for you.” Taemin says and Jinki s his shirt. The latter nods and proceeds undressing himself.

“I’m sorry you didn’t get to watch your Rugby match. I know how much you wanted to.”

“Taemin it’s fine, don’t worry about it.”

“But you’re still mad at me.”’

“I’m not mad at you.”

Yes you are.” Taemin gasps. “You’re not even looking at me.” Just then Jinki looks up to meet Taemin’s gaze.

“Yes?” Jinki asks in annoyance.

“Don’t use that tone with me!” Taemin shouts. “I hate when you use that tone with me.” Jinki tucks his clothes away and heads for the bathroom.

Taemin sleeps with his back facing Jinki’s , close to the edge of the bed, stifling his sniffles in his pillow.