New Year Part 3: We're a thing

Pushing Daisies

Kyungsoo needs a manual. He needs a manual fast. He wishes someone would sense his distress and throw “Kissing for Dummies” at him so that he’d actually learn from it or so that he could just straight up knock himself out and save himself from embarrassment.

Jongin’s lips are on Kyungsoo’s, but the smaller boy is panicking because they’re doing it quite differently this time. None of those chaste pecks or close-mouthed kisses, no, not tonight. Tonight, Jongin is being passionate. Kyungsoo feels the air being out of his lungs each time the tanned boy’s kisses get deeper, he feels his heart drum in his chest going thump thump thump thump except that would be too normal because to be honest Kyungsoo feels like its going th-th-thumppppthumpthumpthumpthumerror error abort mission.  

His hands are slightly trembling when they lightly grip on Jongin’s arm. Despite the loud music he still hears the whispers of the people surrounding him although he couldn’t quite process what they’re saying, it’s probably something in between the lines of Get a room or Faggots. Jongin doesn’t seem to be the least bit bothered by it though, based on how he’s smilling into the kiss, his one arm circling Kyungsoo’s shoulders while the other wraps around his waist, holding him closer and much much tighter.

 

This feels okay. Kyungsoo thinks. This feels wonderful.

 

When Jongin laughs against his lips, warmth spreads across his cheeks, and he couldn’t help but giggle back. It isn’t until the song stops that the tanned boy pulls away, out of breath and dazed. He laughs, noticing the way Kyungsoo’s eyes are still shut closed and the way his lips are still puckered, slightly redder than usual. It’s a nice contrast against his milky white skin, Jongin thinks. He smiles when the smaller boy blinks his eyes open, obviously flustered at how close they currently were.

He isn’t given enough time to process what just happened because Jongin is dragging him away from the crowd, a series of excuse me-s spluttering from the said boy’s mouth as he weaves his way through the sea of people until they finally come to a clearing.  He doesn’t stop there however, Kyungsoo listening to the concert music fade into the background, slowly being replaced by the sound of Jongin’s big strides and his staggering steps. His hands feel warm against Jongin’s and its weird how it’s exactly how he imagined it to feel like. Warm, very warm, and it’s a great reminder of how alive Jongin is. Nothing can possibly go wrong when Kyungsoo is surrounded by life, when he is, he’s not a freak.

When he looks around he finds out that they’ve made it to the parking lot. With everyone gathered in the concert the place is pretty much deserted. Jongin stops and Kyungsoo feels part of his heart drop when he lets go of his hand but that’s only for a brief second of course because Jongin is full of surprises and surprised Kyungsoo is when the taller pulls him close rather roughly, crashing their lips together into another feverish kiss.

 

"…mine...” the tanned boy whispers in between, barely audible.

           

They’re both panting when they separate and once it’s all over they stand in silence, Jongin moves away and turns back to him as Kyungsoo holds his hands close to himself, out of habit. He watches as the air that escape his lips come in white puffs of clouds while in front of him Jongin is panting, his hands to his hips and his head thrown back to look at the sky.

Kyungsoo waits, debating on whether to feel elated about the kiss or nervous about the silence.

Jongin’s hands come up to scratch at his nape before he spins around to face the smaller boy. He coughs.

 

“I…I-I uhm, I don’t really know why I brought you here.”

Kyungsoo blinks, feeling himself relax under the other’s gentle gaze.

“Maybe…I suddenly feel like I want you all to myself…”

Kyungsoo blushes, his heart pounding loudly in his ears.

“And, the music was just too loud and, I just…Can you say it again?”

“Jongin?”

“What you said earlier…can you say it again? Please?”

“I-“

“The thing you said earlier…something about…liking…someone..?”

Kyungsoo shuffles uncomfortably in his place, however, after deep contemplation, he nods firmly and looks up to meet Jongin’s eyes with his. He repeats his words with much certainty, because it’s the truth, and Kyungsoo is tired of running away from people. He’s gone too far into liking Jongin to pretend his feelings for the later don’t exist.

           

“Jongin. I like you.”

 

Jongin is still, and Kyungsoo is about to feel nervous again if it weren’t for the wide smile that spreads across Jongin’s lips a few seconds later. He finds it contagious, his own lips stretching into a shy grin as he waits for the words he wants to hear.

           

“Yeah” The tanned boy begins, “yeah. I like you too. I ‘ve always liked you.”

 

Jongin says those last few words as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, reaching out to pull Kyungsoo into a warm and tender hug. He’s a grinning mess, his hold on the other just getting tighter and tighter, feeling the need to have more of Kyungsoo in his arms. A light hearted laugh escapes his lips and for the first time in years he doesn’t care that his favourite song is currently being played right now by his favourite band because who needs those when his favourite person is right here snuggling up against him. He couldn’t think of a more perfect beginning to his year. He rests his chin just above Kyungsoo’s head while the smaller boy does his best to hide his reddening face against Jongin’s jacket.

They remain like this for a few moments longer until Kyungsoo mumbles something Jongin doesn’t quite catch.

“I said,” Kyungsoo repeats, a bit of hesitance evident in his tone “…does this mean...we’re a…a thing?”

Jongin laughs.

“Do Kyungsoo,” he chuckles out, pulling away only to hold Kyungsoo gently by the shoulders and look him straight in the eyes. “Wait- Do I have to do this the formal way?”

“formal way?”

“I mean are you into those things…getting down on one knee…taking your hand in mine as I ask for your approval-“

“Jesus No!” Kyungsoo exclaims, watching Jongin do the things he says with slight embarrassment. He’s grateful no one is around to witness. “Jongin that’s for marriage proposals don’t be ridiculous get up!” He tugs on the tanned boy’s sleeve rather forcefully, effectively making him stand up. Jongin dusts his knees before eyeing the smaller boy with amusement.

“Okay, no formalities.” He says, tucking his hands in his pockets and shrugging. “So..

 

I guess we’re a thing.”

 

 The straightforwardness and sincerity of his words catch Kyungsoo by surprise, his cheeks blushing and his heart racing a million miles per second. “Sound good?” Jongin asks.

 

Kyungsoo lets out an incoherent squeak. It’s the closest he can manage to a “Yes. We’re a thing.”

 

 

***

 

 

An hour and thirty minutes later Jongin and Kyungsoo are still nowhere to be seen, having disappeared from the crowd right when everyone’s backs were turned. All the rest of the gang were already gathered in one meeting place now that the concert’s finally ended, the audience dispersing, everyone going about their own ways, some filling up the parking lot while others head towards the food stalls.

 

Let’s backtrack.

 

Krystal’s been particularly moody ever since she came back (after a million years of jongdae stalling) to find Jongin no longer where she left him. The first thing she does after finding this out is punch Jongdae in the arm extra hard, much harder than anyone would expect from such a dainty girl like her. Several eyes turn to them in surprise while some people even take a few steps back, probably scared they might have been in the middle of a brawl. Jongdae yelps and rubs his arm, looking at her with an expression that clearly translates as what the .

“Is this what you wanted?” The red head says, her tone harsh and accusing, but Jongdae chooses not to respond so as not to add fuel to the fire, especially with his tendency to make snarky comments. Instead he scans the crowd for any signs of familiar round eyes or platinum blonde hair but sees none, and with that he doesn’t know whether to feel happy or worried. He’d feel happy for the fact that his little scheme worked and for the fact that Kyungsoo is somewhere alone with Jongin which means he’s probably busy being happy. However a pang of worry hits him now that he realizes that the skies are dark and that many dangerous things happen in the dark especially when you’re alone and when your whereabouts are unknown. He double checks his surroundings, but sees nothing and no one new.

 “I’m going to go look for him.” Krystal announces, about to squeeze her way out again if it weren’t for Jongdae’s hand stopping her mid-spin.

“No, they’ll be fine.”

"I know they’re fine.”

“Then stay.”

“And what, let Kyungsoo get in lead? You’re seriously still playing this game with me Jongdae?”

“Krys, please. Jongin is not a prize. You shouldn’t be tossing him around like this.”

“Say that to yourself! You’re no different than me, you’re practically Kyungsoo’s spawn how is that fair? You can’t manipulate Jongin either!”

“I’m not manipulating him! It’s…It’s just…”

“Just what.”

It’s just really obvious Krys. Really obvious who he likes.

Jongdae keeps his thoughts to himself.

“Just stay, please, look it’s also really dark already and I may have been sort of a jerk to you a few minutes ago but I’ve still got an ounce of gentleman in me somewhere so I can’t let you roam around there on your own.”

“Well then help me find my bestfriend and your precious Kyungsoo.”

“geez quit being so harsh on him...” Jongdae sighs, briefly pointing to the direction to which they came from. “Okay. Okay fine, if you’re going to look for them at least let me come with you.”

Krystal blinks, slightly surprised the boy agrees. “…You’ll come with me?”

“Yes. Now move it.” He nudges Krystal lightly, ushering them both back towards the clearing. Krystal staggers forward a bit, easily walking through the people who now willingly give way (although it’s probably because none of them want to get punched in the arm like that poor boy she was with aka Jongdae).

 Jongdae is grateful Krystal isn’t all too curious about his sudden change of behaviour. He’s grateful she hadn’t looked when he pulled out his phone and saw a text message from Kyungsoo, merely 9 characters long reading:

 

Thank you.

 

He figures it means things finally worked out for him and Jongin. Jongin had probably swept the smaller boy off his feet and dated him under the stars or some poetic crap like that. Thing is, he saw all of this coming. It’s what his plan was meant to achieve after all, the end picture had always been of Kyungsoo and Jongin living happily ever after.

The only result he hadn’t predicted out of all this, is the feeling igniting so rapidly inside of him. One he also feels when he sees happy families, college students, young and healthy teenagers alike. And, for a boy like him, who has nothing but a few bills to spare and an empty apartment with an overdue and unpaid rent, what other emotion is there to feel but Jealousy.

That’s it, that’s how he feels right now. Jealous.

           

Aw crap.

 

He casually brushes the feeling aside. You’re just worried he tells himself, You’re just worried. This is just like looking out for your newly adopted puppy, you know? Yeah. He nods. Puppy.

Kyungsoo would make a cute puppy.

 

“Jongdae I know you’re being unreasonable and everything right now but if you’re going mental that’s a whole different level.” Krystal says, snapping him out of his own thoughts.

Well, technically he snaps himself out of his own thoughts first, slapping himself extra hard on the cheek before Krystal’s voice is even able to bring him back to reality.

He smiles awkwardly at the red head but says nothing, forcing her to face forward and continue their struggle to escape the crowd. Get a hold of yourself Jongdae. He mentally notes.

Once they break free from the mob, they begin searching. Of course, common sense entails them to make a call first. And as per usual, its Jongdae who dials Kyungsoo while its Krystal who dials Jongin. The latter picks up first.

“Hello?”

“Jongin?”

“Yeah?”

“KIM JONGIN!”

It’s easy to imagine Jongin impulsively jerking away from his phone upon hearing the red head screech.

“…Holy…I think I’ve gone deaf.”

“I have no time for your jokes, you- you-“

 “Uh Krys?”

"You abandoning prick! that’s what you are!” She screams louder. Jongdae gives up on trying to reach Kyungsoo in order to free his two hands which he decides would be put to much better use if he uses it to covers to his ears.

 “Krys I-”

“Where the hell are you?!”

“Uh-“

“This is the second time you left me today!”

“Oh god I’m so sorry Krys I swear, its unintentional-“

“Where are you??”

“Well…”

“Where are you, I’m going there.”

“Uhm.”

“What?”

“…”

“What?!”

           

“I’m with someone.”

           

There’s a moment of silence on the other end, and something about it makes Krystal nervous. It makes her terrified. It’s just filled with so much tension and…and secrets. Jongin’s never hid anything from her as far as she can remember. Why is he doing this now? She thinks and she thinks, and when she looks at Jongdae she suddenly remembers another person who’s been absent the entire time. A pang of hurt strikes her heart, and she finds herself swallowing, possibly holding back tears.

 

"Are you with Kyungsoo?” She asks, voice calm but trembling.

There’s a sigh on the other end, as though Jongin didn’t even want anyone to know. It only adds more salt to her wounds as she tries not to picture them together at the moment. “…Yeah.”

“Ah…”

“Listen, listen, look Krys I’m really sorry okay I promise I’ll make it up to you.”

She forces out a laugh, and it’s almost painful to watch. “You sound so scared.”

“Really? I’m just really sorry I mean, I know I’ve been really careless today and leaving you alone everytime it’s unfair of me.”

 “yeah?” She blinks a few times, Jongdae’s expression softens once he sees her eyes begin to glisten.

“Yeah! Really! I promise. It’s just, well I really want to be with him right now…”

“Of course you do... Hey  I’m not  stupid, don’t think I don’t know about your little crush. It’s just like 6th grade when that Naeun girl strutted down the detention hall.” She sing songs, her voice a complete contrast of her expression. She begins fanning her eyes, knowing that tears are threatening to fall.

On the other end Jongin chuckles lightly, completely oblivious of his bestfriend’s dismay. “You know me so well.”

“I know you like the back of my own hand. You’re…like a brother to me.”

Ouch. Krystal bites her hand hard, because by now the tears are impossible to stop. They steadily stream down her face as she tries her best to keep silent. Jongin’s response only makes the pain ten times worse.

“Same. I’ve always wanted a sister like you. I mean, you’re way better than two annoying noonas.”

“Oh yeah? Your sisters have always liked the shy and timid type for you though, wouldn’t Kyungsoo make the perfect fit then?”

She can practically see him blushing. She’s always wanted to be the reason for him to blush like that.  “…Listen I’ll explain everything when we meet up later. Tell the rest we’re fine.”

“Okay.”

“…Wait are you okay?”

“Mm, why wouldn’t I be?” She laughs, or at least she thinks she’s laughing. Jongdae sees something in between a chuckle and a sob. He sighs.

“Where are you? Who are you with? You’re still with the crowd right? You’re not alone?”

“No, No I’m uhm, I’m with Jongdae. We were just…we were just roaming around.” Don’t worry. Please don’t sound concerned.

“Are you sure? Wow but isn’t your favourite song on? Jesus, don’t go walking around alone or I’m coming to get you myself.”

“I’m not.” She bites her lips, tears are now flowing down like a faucet it becomes hard for her to even speak without her voice coming out as a croak or a hiccup. Jongdae gently pries the phone out of her hold, and once he does, she breaks down almost immediately, crouching to the floor and clutching her heart as she covers to try and silence herself.

“Hey.” Is all Jongdae manages as a greeting, his eyes averting from Krystal because of that unavoidable feeling of guilt eating him up inside.

“Jongdae?”

“Yeah it’s me.”

“Hey, You guys alright? Not in the crowd anymore?”

“Left a few minutes ago to find you actually.”

“Oh…Sorry. I really should’ve called.”

“Yeah genius.”

"Take care of Krys for me. And Please no smoking in front of her?”

 “Yeah whatever. Is Kyungsoo with you?”

“…uh Why?”

“Hand him the phone.”

“…again, why?”

 “Just do it I don’t have all day.”

He hears Jongin grunt on the other end, a series of mumbles and ruffling sounds goes on and soon a familiar voice speaks. He’s learned to like this voice, soft and rich at the same time. It would probably sound beautiful paired with a song.

“Jongdae?”

“Hey shrimp.”

“Hey…”

“You alright?”

“I’m…I’m great.”

"Huh, that’s strange.”

 “Why?”

“You don’t sound so great. I kind of figured, you’d be elated right now. You know, cloud 9 and stuff.”

 “Yeah…”

“Kyungsoo? I’m serious. Are you alright?”

Silence. For a minute or two there’s nothing on the other end of the line but silence. It’s then that it occurs to Jongdae that Kyungsoo must probably feel guilty as well. With how Jongin spoke to Krystal on the phone, he must have sensed that the latter was angry, hurt, disappointed, and all those negative feelings. Twice the guilt for Jongdae then.

Kyungsoo sighs. “Jongdae- I-“

“Are you happy?” Is all Jongdae asks of him.

“…Partly.”

“No. Disregard others. Ask yourself.”

 Kyungsoo pauses briefly, seemingly deep in thought. Jongdae imagines the way he’s most likely looking at Jongin right now and his chest constricts for a second. “Yeah.” The smaller boy finally answers. “Yeah I am. But-“

“That’s good enough.”

“Jongdae…I feel like…like I took something that’s not mine” Kyungsoo says in a whisper, probably for Jongin not to hear.

“That’s good enough.” Jongdae repeats. “You don’t have to worry. I’ll take care of this.”

“Why are you doing so much?”

That’s a tough question, the older boy thinks. He digs his head for an answer which strays far from the truth but not too far from the believable. “I already told you, I’m growing pretty fond of you kid.”

There’s a laugh, it’s a beautiful laugh. “Thank you. So much.”

“Don’t give me any of that, I’m not holding you in debt.”

“okay.” Kyungsoo chuckles. Jongdae finds himself smiling as well.

“Hey hand me to Jongin again would you.”

“Alright.” The phone goes silent once again and much quicker this time the same voice as earlier now picks up.

“What did you tell him.”

“About that time you danced tango.”

“Hey!”

 “Dude, you’re not ing are you?”

Gurgles of incoherent words suddenly erupt on the other line and then it slowly evolves into coughing and pounding and someone reciting are-you-okay? Over and over again. Jongdae concludes that somewhere on the other line is a choking Jongin.  

“UHM? NO?”

 "Just checking. Use protection ‘kay”

“NO????”

“Yeah you’re probably right those things are useless to us guys anyway”

“Jongdae, god I am not ...” A pause “I-I’m not doing…that.”

“Well that’s a first.”

“I freaking hate you.”

“Sure you do.”

“Meet you in 10 minutes asshat.”

“Rodger that.”

 

The phone goes silent for the last time.

 

Jongdae ends the call on a light note (well, light on a Jongdae to Jongin scale. If they don’t insult each other you should pretty much start worrying) only to come face to face with a furious looking Krystal. Uh oh. He thinks. A quick backtrack of his conversation suddenly runs through his mind and he’s suddenly aware of how much information he’s given away.

 

“Did you plan this?” Krystal begins, finally standing up, tear streaked cheeks, swollen eyes and all.

“Not entirely.”

“Not entirely.” She mocks, a single, sarcastic laugh escaping her lips before she returns to her stern expression. “Oh my god…is this why you wouldn’t let me return earlier?”

He remains silent and still, and silent and still Is probably the worst way to say ‘yes’ to someone.

“You lying jerk…”

“Look,”

“So is Kyungsoo part of this whole scheme too?!”

“No! no look he’s not part of this okay it’s just me-“

“And I’ll take it you’re admitting to actually having a scheme in mind?!”

“Yes! Yes fine I did plan some of it okay?! I did!”

“Why would you do this? I don’t understand Jongdae! Have I done something to you? Do you just plain dislike me?”           

“You know it’s none of that Krys.”

“Why then?”

“Krystal. Jongin likes Kyungsoo. You can’t change that…”

Krystal lets out a frustrated growl, her earlier sobs turning into pained whimpers. She looks at Jongdae with desperate eyes and it only renders the boy silent. Is this really the right thing? He thinks.

“I am so tired of that. Jongdae, don’t you think I know? I’m not stupid okay. I can tell when a person likes someone. But I’m not weak either. I’m not weak enough to give up that easily, not after all these years. No. It’s too much to let go of.”

The red head makes a firm decision to wipe away the steady flowing tears and put on a stoic expression. Somewhere in the background the last 20 seconds of the last song of the last band is playing, and for the first time ever Krystal is glad the event is almost over. She sighs and when she decides that Jongdae has nothing more to say she wipes more of her tears away before making the suggestion to just meet up with the gang and wait for Kyungsoo and Jongin to show up.

She’s not sure if she hears correctly, but she thinks Jongdae whispers:

           

Isnt it a stronger decision to let go?

           

She hates herself for agreeing.

           

An hour and thirty minutes later Jongin and Kyungsoo are still nowhere to be seen, having disappeared from the crowd right when everyone’s backs were turned. All the rest of the gang were already gathered in one meeting place now that the concert’s finally ended, the audience dispersing, everyone going about their own ways, some filling up the parking lot while others head towards the food stalls.

Nobody really noticed Krystal’s swelling eyes or Jongdae’s troubled expression. Nobody really could when the both of them were too good at covering them up with their smiles. But everyone notices when Kyungsoo and Jongin arrive back just when they all begin to wonder where they’ve gone off to. Everyone notices their clasped hands and blushing cheeks.

 

 

***

 

 

They kiss a lot more after that.

 

Kyungsoo swears that years of being completely quiet and reserved is flung out the window that night. Jongin’s confession still echoes in his ear, the memory fresh and clear in his mind, giving him just the right push to kiss back instead of shying away like he usually does. They kiss behind a car, in the middle of the parking lot, underneath a street lamp, Jongin just keeps pulling him in all directions, hiding in the narrow places just to steal a peck or simply embrace the smaller one in his arms. He laughs every time, wondering when the hell he’ll wake up and realizes that this is all a dream. (which never happens)

At some point they just walk aimlessly, no contact involved just simply following each other’s steps and strolling leisurely side by side. They talk about small things and people, nothing really important enough to remember but to the smaller boy, trivial moments like these serve as memories worth keeping.

It’s then that they both receive a call at the same time, Kyungsoo from Jongdae and Jongin from Krystal. They eye each other with suspicion before Jongin decides to take the call first. Immediately he is greeted by what Kyungsoo can tell is a screeching female voice to which the tanned boy impulsively jerks his head back to. He slightly flinches as well, eyes going wide as he feels his phone stop vibrating.

 

“I’m with someone” Jongin speaks to the phone a moment later, his eyes flicker towards Kyungsoo with an expression that the smaller boy could not point out. He’s not quite sure whether he should feel hurt over the fact that the younger might not want anyone to know of their newfound relationship but then he thinks of how Sehun and Luhan choose to hide theirs as well and wonders whether it’s a thing for new born couples to swear their relationship to secrecy for a certain time span until it’s okay.

Their conversation goes on and Kyungsoo takes note of how it slowly progresses into one filled with nothing but apologies from their side, which obviously means Krystal is probably angry. Of course she’d be angry, they left her alone without any second thoughts how could she not be angry. Kyungsoo had been too absorbed in his little world with Jongin that everything else slipped his mind. He glances at his now silent phone and wonders whether Jongdae is angry too. He hopes not.

He’s driven out of his thoughts by Jongin’s sudden grunt. The tanned boy is scowling at the phone when Kyungsoo turns to him with curious eyes which grow even curiouser when the phone is held out to him. “It’s Jongdae.” Jongin says, face still scrunched with slight irritation. “He’s asking for you.”

Kyungsoo blinks several times before gingerly taking the phone into his hands and holding it against his ear. “Jongdae?” he calls out, and true enough the said boy’s familiar voice speaks on the other line.

He finds himself feeling relieved when Jongdae doesn’t sound the least bit mad at him, in fact, he sounds as cool and as laid back as ever. However, if that’s what Kyungsoo notices about his tone Jongdae seems to notice something about his as well. You don’t sound so great, Jongdae tells him, and it’s then that Kyungsoo realizes that…Hey, yeah, I do feel kinda not-okay. He thinks about the reason why, why could he possibly feel this way when nothing seems to be wrong? When everything is seemingly perfect? Jongin is right in front of him keeping himself entertained by kicking random pebbles and occasionally staring at him as if to try and eavesdrop on his conversation, so what’s this queasy feeling he’s getting at the pit of his stomach like something’s not right?

“Are you happy?”

Jongdae asks him, and Kyungsoo asks himself. Am I?

He supposes he is, he’s about to tell Jongdae he is, until he hears what sounds like a woman crying on the other end of the line. It’s merely a split second sniff or hiccup or whatever and it comes out barely audible but Kyungsoo hears it and it somehow clicks something into place.

“I feel like I took something that’s not mine.”

I always take things that aren’t mine. Like lives for example.

The image of Krystal crying makes his heart ache with guilt. He hadn’t really thought of that this would happen and it made him feel like he played a little dirty. Had he?

“You don’t have to worry, I’ll take care of this.” Jongdae says, probably reading straight through his mind. He’s just that kind of guy, despite his snarky personality he’s actually pretty smart and it’s such a shame the universities can’t make any good use of his wits.

His words bring comfort to Kyungsoo and he manages to smile, it catches Jongin’s attention and he smiles even wider when he notices the tanned boy is pouting.

 

The phone call ends soon after he hands the phone back to Jongin. He’s still not used to so much skinship with the other, but Jongin seems determined to change that, grabbing his hand immediately after he pockets his phone. They begin walking towards the direction they came from, where in a distance they can both see the lights from the stage dim down and the crowd begin to scatter. Kyungsoo figures that Jongin is bringing him back to meet up with the others, and for a moment he wants to run away because he had no idea how to face any of them at the moment, especially now that he and Jongin were…a thing. Nope, with the zero experience he has with relationships he’s absolutely terrified.

Plus he’s not really ready to be eaten by guilt once he gets a glimpse of Krystal’s I-just-cried face. What was he supposed to say? Game over? I won? Suddenly he doesn’t feel like playing anymore. Suddenly he feels like he cheated.

 

Jongin squeezes his hand and brings him out of his thoughts, nudging him slightly with a questioning look. “You ok?” He asks, concerned. Kyungsoo responds with a smile and a shake of his head. “Yeah. Just fine.”

 

Just fine.

 

 

***

 

 

“Woah…Woah, guys. How many years have we been gone?”

“The hell are you talking about now Yeol…”

“I’m not joking. Look over there isn’t that Jongin?”

“Yeah, that’s him and what abo- Woah.

"Yeah. That’s what I said.”

“What’re you guys looking at?”

“Junmyeon, you’re good at math aren’t you? What’s the probability of two people hooking up on the new year?”

“Uhm…what?”

“Check it out.”

“Oh, hey it’s Jongin…what about him?”

“Look lower.”

"…Oh.

           

“Sehun-ah!!”

“Ow- Ow!”

“Sehun-ah!! Look!!”

“Ow- o- Stop hitting me I can see okay I have eyes!”

“Our Kyungie, Kyungsoo- !”

 

When everyone’s eyes lock on the duo approaching them from a few feet away, Jongdae couldn’t help but roll his at the reactions that erupt. Krystal is beside him seeming just as uninterested, watching the rest of the gang make a big deal out of the sight of Jongin and Kyungsoo blushing and holding hands like 10 year olds in puppy love. The two watch as they come nearer, a twinkle of jealousy evident in both of their eyes. (Although maybe it appeared as fireworks in Krystal’s while in Jongdae’s it was probably just a spark).

When Jongin and Kyungsoo are finally able to re-join their circle, immediate interrogation commences.

 

“What the hell is this?!” Taemin is the first to exclaim, grabbing both their wrists and lifting up their intertwined hands in display. Jongin grunts, letting go of Kyungsoo’s hand for a few brief seconds only to flick away Taemin’s hold.

“What does it look like.”

“It looks like,” Chanyeol butts in, one eyebrow raised, arms crossed “Like betrayal. Tsk tsk tsk…look at him ditching us in that crowd for cooties.”

Wow says the one who towered over to the very front leaving us all to cower at the back.”

“Touché”          

“Hyung.” Sehun calls out, walking towards Kyungsoo with his usual stoic expression (that’s not fooling me anymore Kyungsoo thinks) “You been with this guy?”

“Mm. Just now. I was with Jongdae in the afternoon.”

“You look flustered are you okay? Are you sick? Do you have a fever?” Luhan drowns him in questions, Kyungsoo just shakes his head and assures them he’s alright. “Jongin, you’re a sweetheart and all, but I swear to the heavens you better not have done anything funny to my little friend here.”

“Luhan” Kyungsoo groans, but Jongin merely shrugs at the comment “Jesus do I look that much of a maniac to you guys?” Sehun turns a sharp gaze to him which immediately shuts him up.

“So what’s all this about?” Junmyeon butts in, still eyeing their hands. By this time Kyungsoo is doing his best to disappear behind the tanned boy making all the desperate faces he knows.

Krystal is expressionless, she tries not to let anyone see how she’s slightly craning her head to the side in order to hear Jongin better, eager to know what exactly was up with those two. Jongdae on the other hand approaches Kyungsoo with a gentle smile and a wink which the smaller boy immediately returns. He stretches his hand out to ruffle his hair and for now Kyungsoo lets him, even tilting his head a bit to give better access.

“Well…” Jongin begins, scratching his nape like he always does when he’s nervous. “…If you haven’t guessed already…”

He looks around and stares at each of their expressions and most of them look intrigued. Luhan and Sehun come into view and they’re standing close together looking at Kyungsoo expectantly, then there’s Chanyeol and Taemin who both wear knowing grins on their faces while Junmyeon is just there waiting for an answer. His eyes land on Jongdae who is looking at him rather oddly, there’s something threatening about his gaze but Jongin doesn’t dwell on it much. And then his eyes fall on Krystal, He smiles at her and she smiles back half-heartedly before looking away quickly.

Finally, he turns to the small white boy to his right who looks back up at him and blinks.

"We’re kind of…a thing now.” They both say in unison.  

              

Everyone falls silent. Kyungsoo wants to shrink.

 

“Yeah…so I have a boyfriend.” Jongin repeats a little softer this time, almost close to a mumble, resuming his nervous nape scratching.

 

After a few torturous seconds of silence, the reactions come bursting.

           

“Oh My God!!” Luhan exclaims rushing to the couple and nearly pouncing on them, enveloping them both into a warm hug. “You two!”

A lot of catcalls were thrown and side comments like Smooth move Jongin or Sneaky Kyungsoo as well. Generally everyone was happy about the news and for a moment they received nothing but congratulations and comments like God you two were flirting too much it kinda hurt to watch-s. Luhan and Sehun form a small huddle around Kyungsoo and lower their voices into whispers.

 “Now that we’re sure he likes you, you’d definitely have to tell him…You can’t hide it for too long. The longer you hide it the harder it will be…”

 Kyungsoo swallows nervously but he doesn’t disagree or protest, instead he nods obediently, knowing all too well that they were talking about his ability. “I will.”

“Hyung you have to promise. Or else I won’t let you be with someone who doesn’t know and accept everything and anything about you.”

“God you sound like Seungsoo.”

Sehun doesn’t budge, keeping his stern gaze which makes Kyungsoo sigh in defeat. “I promise.”

"Good.”

           

Kyungsoo turns to see that Jongin is surrounded by his own huddle of friends, although he doesn’t expect to see Krystal approaching him. Bracing himself for some sort of outburst he stays rooted on his spot, clutching the hem of his shirt and keeping his eyes downcast, he feels too afraid to meet the other’s eyes. When two red flats come into his view, he swallows, waiting for the harsh words to come raining down on him.

But surprisingly none of it splutters out and he’s left there standing in the long silence. He lifts his head up a bit, peeking at the red head’s expression and surprising himself by seeing a wide smile directed at him. He has to admit that it makes him a little more scared. Jongdae is by his side the whole time of course, slightly standing in between them ready to block whatever attack Krystal has in mind, if she even has any.

“Way to go. You’re in the lead.” She says, calmly, almost too calmly. When she’s this close Kyungsoo can kind of point out the slight redness of her eyes. “So how’d it happen?”

“I-I didn’t…I mean I never planned it.”

“You didn’t?”

 “I mean…All I wanted was to spend time with him…But then just, things happened and..”

“You know what stop. It’s not something you should explain. I mean just, stupid me right? Thinking I stood a chance.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Why? Oh it’s alright. It’s nothing. It’s fine I mean, all my life I’ve been there for him, that’s just whatever to you right?”

“Krystal.” Jongdae tries to stop her with a sigh, but the red head wouldn’t allow it.

“God this is so stupid I don’t understand how in the world he doesn’t realize this is just infatuation-“

“Look.”

 

This time it’s Kyungsoo who does the interrupting, his voice is low and his fists are clenched tightly onto his shirt.

“I said I’m sorry. But please, If you think this is a game, if you think someone should win and someone should loose, I really dont want to play. Just a little respect would be nice.”

 

Krystal falls speechless at that, her smile long gone replaced by an expression of utter dismay, where she’s gritting her teeth and staring at him with much intensity. Kyungsoo feels like he’s being burned alive at the moment however he doesn’t back down, instead he stares back at her with the same intensity, willing to defend whatever he has with Jongin with all he has. He doesn’t remember whether he’s ever been this aggressive ever in his life.

           

"Break it off.” Jongdae whispers, trying to snap the two of them out of it. It wouldn’t have been enough to stop their stare fest however luckily Luhan prances into the scene dragging along his all unicorn and rainbow aura with him.

 

“Hey my little love bug,” He begins, wrapping an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “You do know you still have to tell Seungsoo about this.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen before he lets out a series of groans.

 

Oh god not Seungsoo.  

 

 


A/N: I AT DISGUSTING FLUFF BYE. Feelings about this chapter: It feels so whatever to me. I mean it feels like a bonus chapter or something its just- kak- but anyway i just plain am not comfortable with it my thoughts are so scattered. So just cuz they're "A THING" now doesnt necessarily mean a happily ever after i mean we'll see bruh. I got a lotta knots still planned up in my head so. Chyeah. Sorry I'm taking so long...You know college and stuff. I'm fighting! Still alive! Must. breathe.