New Year Part 1: Stage names

Pushing Daisies

The morning of January first comes as a rather unusual one for Kyungsoo. He wakes up to a runny nose and the muffled sound of whispered conversations. Mistaking the situation as a dream he dozes off again, snuggling deeper into his thick layer of blankets, the cold temperature making his cheeks blush a light shade of pink.

The voices die down and it’s silent for a while, Kyungsoo on the brink of losing himself to unconsciousness once more, until he feels the corner of his bed dip. This seems to awaken his senses, the boy blearily blinking his eyes open while a soft, croaked moan escapes his lips as he forces himself to move. He rolls, lying flat on his back looking much too comfortable in his cocoon of blankets.

Cross-eyed, he tries to make sense of his surroundings and the first thing he figures out is Jongin’s face, smiling down at him. Kyungsoo blinks sleepily, staring at eyes that curved into two perfect half-moons, teeth that lined perfectly, pretty golden tanned skin, and glowing blonde locks of hair. After a solid minute of adoring everything Jongin he takes the chance to smile back and mumble a slurred “g’morning”.

He feels the other’s warm breath as he chuckles “You’re adorable.”

 

Wow. Kyungsoo thinks, how real does that sound.

 

They stare at each other for a moment longer, Jongin finding it harder and harder to suppress his laughter realizing that Kyungsoo probably thinks he’s still dreaming. At some point though, the smaller boy seems to catch on and instantly his eyes widen. “Jongin!” He shouts a little louder than necessary, struggling to free himself from underneath his covers, squirming and flailing and completely falling off the bed in the process.  

“Are you okay?” Jongin asks concerned. Kyungsoo stands up hurriedly, combing a hand through his hair and straightening his shirt in an attempt to look as decent as he can (in terms of surprise wake up calls). He’s not doing a very good job.

“Hi. I mean, Good morning. Hello. Yeah, I uhm- I just- How did- What are you doing here?”

“Good morning Kyungie Pie!” Luhan’s perky, overly enthusiastic voice butts in as he opens Kyungsoo’s bedroom door wide and spreads his arms in the air. Please don’t tell me I woke up in a musical. Is all the Kyungsoo could silently pray for.

“It’s a new day a new year and oh-“ Luhan’s eyes fall upon the smallest’s pororo patterned pyjamas and his expression instantly forms into one of disgust. “Maybe it’s time for you to get some new clothes too…”

“Hey guys. Seungsoo hyung and I both agreed to just head out for breakfast because we kind of ate all the pancake mix waiting for Kyungsoo hyung to wake up.” A blank faced Sehun declares, popping his head through the door while on a wooden spoon.

“Oh god it is too early for this.” Kyungsoo groans, hands rubbing at his temples making an effort to ease the possible growing headache that comes along with dealing with babies in the morning. (Yes, including mr. right slash Jongin because let’s face it, anyone who disrupts your sleep earlier than 9 in the morning goes on your blacklist).

He sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose as he tries not to lash out on a blabbering Luhan, a laughing Jongin and an indifferent Sehun. Instead he calmly picks up his blankets and arranges his bed like the neat boy he is, before turning to face his mini audience with the calmest expression he can pull off. “Tell me,” He starts, his voice soft and restrained. “Why in heavens name, are you all in my room, at” He glances at the clock. “Seven freaking thirty in the mo-“

“Hey Kyungs-“ A fourth and final voice calls.

“Jesus Christ, WHAT” Kyungsoo snaps, his gaze meeting Seungsoo’s, the elder of the two standing by the doorway unfazed by his brother’s haggard appearance. “Hyung why WHY are these invaders in my room? Why?”

Seungsoo merely shrugs the matter off lightly. “Luhan called a while ago saying he’ll be coming over, said he was gonna bring some Jongin kid along with him, I don’t know. Get dressed though we’re leaving in 5.”

“Oh good I’m staarrvvinnngg.” Luhan blurts out.

“You ate all the way here though.”

“Don’t you use that tone on me Oh Sehun, You were the one who kept feeding me .”

“A pig needs to be fat before slaughter.”

“If pigs were as attractive as me pig slaughter would be banned…”

The senseless chatter gradually grows softer and softer as both Luhan and Sehun follow Seungsoo out of Kyungsoo’s humble sanctuary. Thankfully without the bickering noises the room falls peacefully quiet once again and Kyungsoo takes this chance to close his eyes, inhale deeply, relax, slowly lower himself on the floor to sit…

           

and whine.  

 

 If there’s anything his hates more than his lack of height it would probably be early mornings.

 

He messes his hair and kicks his feet in frustration while letting a choked whine escape his lips. This mini breakdown doesn’t last for more than a few seconds because soon enough he’s left sitting there with his forehead scrunched wondering what he had done in his past life to possibly deserve this.

Jongin, being present to witness this childish side of Kyungsoo, eyes him amusedly before deciding it best to shed a little sunshine to his morning. “You know…” he says, positioning himself behind the other as he hooks his hands underneath Kyungsoo’s armpits and heaves him up to stand. “…for the record, I wasn’t supposed to be here at this hour. I was just jogging around when I bumped into those two who said they were on their way to your house.”

Kyungsoo feels a shiver run down his spine when Jongin places his hand lightly over his back, gently leading him towards the bathroom. “…the rest of the gang are usually off to spend New Year’s morning with their families, then we just meet up before the con. I, however, have paid my family a visit last night, for new year’s eve, which makes me free for the entire day. And so here I am,” He stops by the door, giving Kyungsoo a light push. “waiting for you to get dressed as well.” He grins widely while Kyungsoo shifts uncomfortably in his place, his feet touching the cold, white tiles of his bathroom. “You wouldn’t really  want to start your new year with a frown would you?”

Jongin winks, chuckling to himself as he moves to close the door. “Looking forward to spending the day with you. By the way,” His eyes go lower “Those pyjamas? I like it.”

And the door is shut closed, finally leaving Kyungsoo standing alone in the middle of his own bathroom, trying to decide whether he is to allow the butterflies In his stomach to overcome his foul morning mood.

 

 

***

 

 

Breakfast ended up in some roadside diner to which they all agreed had some pretty mouth-watering pancakes. Since everyone originally had plans of attending the New Year concert happening that night, no objections were made when Seungsoo got behind the wheel and suggested they head out early to kill some time together.

Normally Kyungsoo would have disliked the idea of being in a single car with a jabbering Luhan and a daydreaming Sehun but today that’s not the case, today he convinces himself that he should try this out. Feel good about having people who are actually willing to stick around him despite his shut away behaviour. He wonders if having Jongin in the picture is the reason his thoughts are taking an optimistic turn, he wonders what it would be like to have him by his side for the rest of his life. The thought makes him smile.

 

"What’s so funny?” Jongin asks, finding Kyungsoo’s grin contagious. He’s seated by the window while the smaller boy is squashed in between him and Sehun, Luhan having claimed shotgun while Seungsoo took the wheel.

“Nothing.” The boy responds in a hushed tone, unable to stop his growing smile. “I’m happy.”  

“Well you should be. Must be nice living with your brother.”

“…Don’t you have siblings?”

“Yeah. Two sisters. Hella annoying.”

“Oh. I’ve never had a sister.”

“You wouldn’t want one. Too high maintenance.”

“I’m patient.”

“How ‘bout your parents?” Jongin asks as he takes a sip from a can of soda. He doesn’t notice the way Kyungsoo’s smile falters a bit or the way his hands slightly twitch. “Don’t think I’ve ever seen them around.”

“You won’t see them.”

“Why not? Don’t they live around here? Abroad maybe?”

Kyungsoo simply chuckles and locks his gaze to the road ahead. “No they’re dead.”

“…they’re..?”

“Yes they’re dead. They have been since I was very little.”

“Wait. Your- DE-“

His head snaps back to Jongin in surprise however, when suddenly the other erupts in a coughing fit, choking on his own drink while Kyungsoo instinctively pats his back, eyes wide with concern.

The scene has Seungsoo looking at them through his rearview mirror while Luhan and Sehun turn their heads, “Kyungsoo…” Luhan speaks, watching Jongin clutch his chest as he coughs uncontrollably. “What kind of profanities have you been whispering to poor Jonginnie’s ear huh? The poor boy.”

“I wasn’t.”

“Has Kyungsoo been ing to you Jonginnie?”

“I told you I wasn’t!”

Seungsoo eyes them warily. “You alright back there?”

“Yeah we’re alright.…Are you okay?” Kyungsoo whispers the last part to the tanned boy who is currently trying to recompose himself. Jongin merely waves a hand in the air, dismissing the matter.

“I-I’m fine. I’m fine.” He says, sitting back up before taking a deep breath and throwing a reassuring smile. “All good.”

"Are you sure?”

"Uhuh. No worries.”

“Huh, careful next time. No more sodas for you though.” Is all Seungsoo says in response. Jongin merely nods and smiles in agreement, surrendering the can of soda to a satisfied looking Sehun.

When all is settled back in their seats again, he takes the chance to resume his previous conversation with Kyungsoo. “So…How’d it happen.”

“Hm?”

“I mean…Your parents.”

"What about them.”

“You know…How did they…”

“Oh. Dad, car accident. Mom, depression.”

“Ah.”

Suddenly the atmosphere turns awkward, Kyungsoo’s answers short and his face expressionless, no explanations or stories told, the smaller obviously trying to avoid the subject as much as he can, his gaze trained on the rows of trees they drive past.

Jongin, as a person, may be slightly dense. But for this moment he could sense the other’s clear discomfort, and so he chooses not to bring it up any longer, plugging in his earphones and leaning his head back with closed eyes, escaping into his own little world of music.

When his hand falls to his side however, he takes note of the feeling of skin against skin, prying his one eye open to find that it’s back of his hand lightly grazing Kyungsoo’s. And so he nudges it, ever so lightly. The smaller boy gives no response, eyes glued to the outside. However, after a while Jongin couldn’t miss the subtle push he returns.

He sinks back into his seat once more, smiling to himself as he nods his head to the beat of music, their two pinky fingers intertwined. Kyungsoo turns his head more the opposite direction.

           

“Why are you smiling at me like that.” Sehun asks.

           

 

***

 

 

They arrive at the venue in an hour or so leaving plenty of free time for them to waste. Kyungsoo spots the stage a few meters away, in front of it a vast empty lot probably for the crowd to gather later that night. The open space allows a cool breeze to blow past, ruffling the boy’s hair and tainting his cheeks pink. He looks up to the sky and furrows his brows in worry, the blanket of grey clouds possibly a bad sign. “Hey…” he calls to whoever stood closest to him, who he later realizes is Sehun, the youngest humming in acknowledgement.

“Think it might rain? Or maybe even snow?”

Sehun looks up to the skies as well, evaluating the chances. “Possibly. It is kind of dark.”

“What will happen if it does??”

“I don’t know. We get wet.”

“You don’t say.”

“Actually.” Jongin interrupts, “They give out raincoats. As far as I know this thing always pushes through, rain or shine.”

“Perfect I’d love to listen to some music while spinning around in a tornado.”

“Sehun-ah.” Kyungsoo reprimands, gritting his teeth and widening his eyes in wanring. Jongin seems to take no offence in Sehun’s words of sarcasm however, merely laughing and waving it off dismissively. “No, no tornados as far as I know.”

They talk a bit more, Luhan having joined into their conversation like always, until Seungsoo finally comes off the phone asking for Kyungsoo to come over while the other three are busy arguing over what to do to pass time. Obediently the younger shuffles to where his hyung waits by the car.

“I just talked to my friends,” Seungsoo starts “Turns out they’re already around the area.”

“Oh you should go join them then.”

“Can I leave you with them for now? I mean will you be okay?”

"Yeah. I’ll be fine, Lu hyung’ll take care of us.”

“That’s what I’m most worried about.” The eldest laughs, Kyungsoo playfully punches him on the arm.

“Doesn’t seem like it but he’s a responsible guy.”

“yeah well I know Lu and Hun. I don’t know about that Jongin kid he’s new to me. You sure he’s not doing anything funny to you?”

“No.” A brief flashback of Jongin’s lips against his causes Kyungsoo to blush profusely. “No. Nothing.”

The older boy merely squints his eyes, gaze flickering back and forth between his younger brother and his new found friend. Choosing not to question any further though, he nods his head and shrugs, turning around to fish his coat out of the car. “Whatever floats your boat.”

“Will you bring me home?”

“Of course. Text me okay?”

“Mm.”

"See you. Don’t embarrass yourself.” Kyungsoo rolls his eyes as Seungsoo messes his hair, brushing past him to say his goodbyes to the bickering trio in the background. He spends a particularly long time emphasizing instructions to take good care of his precious little brother before finally walking off in some unknown direction. Luhan, Sehun, Jongin and Kyungsoo are now left on their own, an entire afternoon and evening theirs to conquer.

           

Kyungsoo watches his brother’s back retreat in a distance, a white cloud of air escaping his lips as he exhales. “So…” He starts, breaking the peaceful silence between them “Where to.”

“The club.” Luhan pipes cheerfully, as if there were absolutely nothing wrong with his statement.”Where else?”

“You’re joking.”

"No I’m not why would I joke?”

“What kind of club would be open this early.”

“I think I know what Luhan hyung is talking about.” Jongin says, side-eyeing the older knowingly. “Thunder Club. I’ve been there a couple of times too.”

“What Club?? I’m confused.”

“Of course you wouldn’t know you barely ever leave your house.” Sehun comments.

“It’s not the club you’re thinking of Kyungie pie.” The smallest blinks in confusion as he watches Luhan wrap an arm around his shoulder, dragging him closer as they all begin to walk towards a place it seems he knows nothing about. “Do enlighten me.”

"Thunder Club, it’s just around the corner, but if we’re coming from Hongdae then nah it’s pretty far. Which is why I don’t go there very often.” Sehun helps out. “but just for your knowledge no it does not have a bar, smoking is not allowed in there, and we fit into the age restriction.”

“But most importantly, it has a dance floor.” Jongin continues.

"So…it’s a disco?”

The other three erupt in laughter at Kyungsoo’s obliviousness. “Well that tells us a lot about the last time Kyungsoo’s gone out.”

“You could say It’s a modern day disco” Luhan points out “But we aint dancing to anything like the bogey or the Macarena. Nothing like that. Picture a dance showdown, where a lot of teenagers or young adults like us would go. Literally anyone could be pulled up the centre stage at any moment, but it doesn’t matter if you’re good or not, you just let the music take control you know. Come to think of it, Have you ever been pulled up Jongin?”

“Yeah, like, every ing time I come.”

“They know a dancer when they see one.”

“Have you ever danced?” Kyungsoo asks, an eyebrow raised curiously at his doe eyed hyung.

“Me? Well no I haven’t been picked out just yet. But Sehuni here has!”

“ that.” Sehun huffs.

“You guys should’ve seen it, he literally straight up said ‘no’ to the host. Thing is you’re not allowed to say no at all and they push you in anyway. But Sehun here wouldn’t bulge and he just stood there with his arms crossed watching his opponent dance his off.”

Jongin starts cackling at the mental image, Luhan and Kyungsoo following shortly after. Sehun lifts his chin up proudly as if it were some sort of achievement. “I felt sorry for the peasants so I gave in in the end.”

“You danced?”

“Yeah he did. It’s a good thing he’s pretty good on the dance floor otherwise I would have been thoroughly embarrassed for him.”

           

They share a few more laughs on the way to the said place, a few more conversations which mostly consist of Jongin teasing Kyungsoo or Kyungsoo shushing Luhan or Luhan complaining to Sehun. They look through the windows of shops they pass by, Jongin taking a particularly long time fussing over a skateboard on display while Kyungsoo couldn’t stop smiling at the fluffy white kittens in the pet shop beside. At one point they even get lost, taking a wrong turn in one of the busy intersections. Luckily though, it isn’t long until they finally spot a brick wall covered in creative graffiti. The letters written across it read ‘TC’. A line of people form by the entrance where two well-built men stand guard. Kyungsoo shuffles behind his three friends, clutching his hands close to himself out of habit.  

 

“Are you guys sure this isn’t a club club?” He asks, eyes darting around cautiously. “Because they look a lot like bouncers.”      

“That’s because they are. But relax Kyungie pie, it’s only because 19 bellow aren’t allowed-”

“Like in clubs?”

"No, Like in anything fun in life.”

“If it’s just dancing then why aren’t all ages allowed.”

Jongin chuckles at the smaller boy’s confused expression. “Because all kinds of dances are allowed. Some request props when they dance. Like chairs…or poles. Or People..”

“People?”

“Laps. Connect the dots.”

“Oh.” Kyungsoo blushes. “Okay.” He remains silent for a moment, pondering a bit on this new information before bringing up a question which makes him refuse to meet the tanned boy’s eyes. “So…have you ever been a…’prop’?”

“Me?”

“Yeah. Have you?”

“If I say yes?”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen as his gaze snaps to Jongin who laughs at his surprise.

“No. I haven’t.”

Jongin pretends not to notice the breath of air Kyungsoo lets out in relief. “But I’ve danced with a partner before.”

“Really?”

“Mhm.” The line moves forward, with Luhan now at the front, smiling brightly up at the bouncer who didn’t seem to give an ounce of interest. “You don’t really choose the music and you just have to deal with whatever is played. One time they dragged me up, my head went blank, some tango shiz playing through the speakers.”

Kyungsoo laughs. “Tango?”

“Hey don’t get me wrong I’d have done it if I could but you know what they say it takes two to tango. Good thing Krys was with me, she volunteered immediately when she saw how clueless I was. I really don’t know how I managed to follow her lead from thereon.”

“Krys…as in Krystal?”

“Yup. She’s a natural at those kinds of dances I guess I just got lucky.”

           

Mm…Lucky.

 

It takes a lot of effort for Kyungsoo to return Jongin’s smile, it’s not a very easy thing to do especially with the image of Jongin holding Krystal’s body close to his while trotting around a dance floor with a rose between his teeth. Or at least, that’s how Kyungsoo pictures Tango. He couldn’t help but think of how much in lead Krystal is, with all these memories they shared he thinks he’s going to have to work twice as hard to catch up. Although he can’t help but feel a little wrong about having to think earning Jongin’s affection is “work”. He wouldn’t like to think of anyone as a prize.

Jongin smoothly passes through the security’s watchful eyes, probably because he’s already considered a familiar face. It isn’t the same for Kyungsoo however, one of the men effectively blocking his way arms crossed and brows furrowed, staring down at his tiny figure. The man continues to eye him expectantly and all Kyungsoo does is blink. “I-I’m with the-“ He tries, stuttering his words out but they cut him off before he could even finish.

“How old are you kid?” One of them demands.

“He looks…17.”

“I’m not 17.”

“You sure boy?”

“Yes! I have a job.” 

“I don’t know, you look pretty young to me.”

 

"Hey hey hey”

As if on cue, Jongin comes jogging out of the open doors, pushing past the two men much larger than him before grabbing onto Kyungsoo’s wrist. “Lay off guys he’s coming with me.” He says, tugging the smaller boy’s hand and walking back through the doors.

“Ey Kai! You know the rules!”

“He’s older than me genius!” Jongin shouts without looking back, Kyungsoo too busy admiring how perfect their hands fit together. It isn’t until they’re deeper into the building, music gradually getting louder and louder the further they go, that the smaller boy notes the unfamiliar name they had called out earlier. “Who’s Kai?” He asks, twice, because apparently Jongin hadn’t heard him over the music the first time.

“Kai? That’s me.”

“But you’re Jongin.”

Jongin, Kai,  chuckles. “I know. But they do this…on stage alias thing especially for the skilled dancers, and not to brag (Kyungsoo rolls his eyes at that), But I’m a pretty skilled dancer. So…Hi I’m kai.” He smiles, and Kyungsoo gets lost in it as per usual “And I think those are your friends up there.”

Following the tanned boy’s gaze Kyungsoo tries to look past the colourful strobe lights and spots Luhan and Sehun waving at them from the second floor railing. With their hands still intertwined Jongin expertly weaves his way through the crowd towards a metal ladder which leads up, and soon they re-join with the two, looking over the entire place from where they stood elevated above.

Kyungsoo takes a good look at the place and notes the crowd gathered around an open space in the middle which was slightly elevated. They all cheered and clapped while three boys break danced to the electronic music pumping through the speakers. He scanned every corner for any sort of alcoholic drinks being passed around or bought, just to make sure. Thankfully all he sees are bottles of water and sweaty teenagers. I can handle that.

 

“So what can you guys say about that?!” A man, who Kyungsoo assumes is the host, shouts into his mic as he steps into the centre. The crowd goes wild in response, Luhan, Sehun and Jongin giving out a few cheers themselves.

“Chen Chen!” He thinks he hears Luhan scream as the doe eyed boy waves his hand frantically in the air, causing the host’s gaze to flicker to their direction for a split second.

 “This crowd is amazing, You’re all pumped up aren’t you?!”

A collective ‘Yes’

“Alright alright, So am I. You guys ready for more?! Who should we bring up next?!”

A mixture of names are shouted and the host merely chuckles at the response.

“I know I know ya’ll wanna be in my place right now. But from what I’ve heard…someone special has gone through those doors just now.” He says, everyone going silent as they watch him point to the entrance. “Yeah, someone who is rarely ever here, but on the days he is here, oh man is he in demand…Can any of the regulars here guess who I’m talking about!”

           

“Oh ing Jongdae-“ Jongin whispers from where he stands beside Kyungsoo, the smaller boy taking several glances at him and the crowd repeatedly before successfully connecting the dots in his head and laughing.

“Is he talking about you? He’s talking about you isn’t he?”

“Ngh damn it of course Jongdae would do this.”

           

“If you know who I’m talking about…Why don’t you scream out his name for me will you.” The host, Chen as Luhan had called him, announces, spreading his arms wide open to welcome the noise that is to come. And like Kyungsoo had predicted, part of the crowd begins chanting Jongin’s given name. Kai, Kai, Kai repeatedly over and over again the number of voices growing more and more each time, curious eyes scanning their surroundings for the said dancer. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but laugh at the way Jongin is now subtly trying to sink behind him with much difficulty, considering their big height difference.

But apparently, both seem to be forgetting the biggest give away they have at the moment.

           

“CHEN CHEN!!! RIGHT HERE!”

 

Luhan.

 

“.”

 

All eyes turn to the pink haired boy on the second floor who is excitedly pointing at their target. Jongin curses under his breath once more, finally giving in and stepping out from behind an uncomfortable Kyungsoo (he’s not used to all the attention). Majority of the audience cheer excitedly upon recognizing him, but part of the crowd (the female part to be exact) merely giggle out of surprise because this ‘Kai’ person turns out to be quite the eye candy.

“If this is another Tango I’m going to castrate you.” The tanned boy says in defeat, already taking his coat off and handing it to Kyungsoo, who offers to take it. When he begins walking towards the ladder however, Chen surprises him with a request.

“Wait wait. I see a new face.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes go wide. He swallows nervously, knowing all too well that neither Luhan nor Sehun were new to this place.

“Bring your friend down here Kai I wanna see what he’s got.”

Jongin watches as Kyungsoo begins to tremble nervously, “Come on you can’t pull him up on his first day here…”

“A-a-ah, my friend you know the rules here. Everyone kindly remind Kai what one agrees to upon stepping through those doors.”

All at the same moment the crowd shouts

 

We don’t take No for an answer!                       

 

“That’s right that’s right!” Chen shouts, jumping in his place feeling the adrenaline rush of the excited crowd course through him, “Don’t be shy kid nobody cares if you’re as bad as me or as good as him we’re all in it for the fun here aren’t we?! Let’s all give him a little push! Hey what’s your name new kid?”

Kyungsoo shifts his weight from one foot to another, eyeing his friends pleadingly before stuttering out an answer. “…D-do Kyungsoo.”

"Maybe you’re not aware but you’re on the second floor and I’m down here not to mention you’re mic-less. I need you to shout! What’s your name!”

“Do Kyungsoo!”

“Kyungwoo?”

“Kyungsoo!”

“Kyungwho?”

“KYUNGSOO!”

“Kyung- Ah Forget it, we’re going on surname basis”

Chen falls quiet for a minute, seemingly in deep thought.

A silent conversation suspends in the air between Jongin and Kyungsoo, the latter begging for some kind of escape route but all he gets is an apologetic shrug in response. When someone snickers into the mic they both turn back to the host, who claps his hands together garnering everyone’s attention. “hey guys why don’t we call D.O. down to the centre here!”

"D.o.?!”

Jongin snorts. “Look at that you’re already baptised with a nickname and it’s only your first time.”          

The crowd begins chanting both their names, the two boys momentarily blinded by a spotlight aimed directly at them. “Is that necessary?” Kyungsoo mumbles, not really sure what to do or say anymore. Embarrassing himself is definitely not on the list though, because the last time he remembers ever dancing is back when he played a sunflower in a pre-school play.

Which is why he’s taken by surprise when Jongin grabs his hand and begins leading them both down.

“Jongin- Jongin- I can’t dance! I don’t dance.”

“Sorry soo, but rules are rules.”

“No, no you don’t understand, I have two left feet I really don’t know how to do this thing I-“

“I got you.” The tanned boy whispers. “I got you. No one’s going to laugh at you I promise. I won’t make you look stupid. Just trust me, okay?”

“Can I trust you?” Kyungsoo blurts out, staring straight into Jongin’s eyes.

 

Deep in the back of his mind he knows the trust he’s asking for isn’t merely for the current situation, but rather Jongin’s answer should hold true for all the future secrets he could possibly entrust him with. Important, fragile secrets.

Jongin returns his stare, gaze unwavering, before breaking into a grin and letting out the exact words the smaller boy wants to hear. “Trust me. I keep my promises.”

And before he even knows it he’s standing in the middle of a crowd, the entire room illuminated by nothing but the dim strobe lights flashing along to the rhythm of the music.

“Well it’s been ages, mr Kim Kai.” Chen says off the mic, hands outstretched to envelop the said boy in a brief hug once they had stepped onto the dance floor. He acknowledges Kyungsoo through a light pat on the shoulder and some short words of encouragement seeming almost apologetic for having called him out in such short notice. “Not a fan of performing I see.”

“No not quite.” The smaller boy stutters out, ‘not quite’ an obvious understatement.

“Nah, don’t worry, Jongin’s a spotlight hogger. For the meantime I want you to have fun.”

Kyungsoo’s not exactly sure how to have fun under such pressure but he doesn’t even get the chance to reply, Chen already switching back to his hosting persona. “What’re you waiting for play some music!” He shouts into his mic, causing the gathered mob of people to go wild and Kyungsoo to flinch a bit at the loudness of it all.

 

The beat starts out slow, an eerie mixture of instruments playing one by one then gradually coming together in harmony. When the lights go even dimmer, Kyungsoo’s eyes desperately lock onto Jongin’s, afraid he might somehow lose sight of him in the darkness. 20 seconds into the song he’s still standing there as stiff as a tree, and so he focuses all his attention on the next few words Jongin mouths, hoping that it would somehow save him from his frozen state.

Listen, the tanned boy says, first pointing to his ear for emphasis, after which, his eyes. Watch.

With a nervous swallow, Kyungsoo nods.

And then Jongin moves, easily transforming into this person everyone calls Kai.

 

When Kai dances, he dances like fluid. Smooth flowing water down a creek bending and curving through every crack and turn. The beat is still slow when he starts, his body perfectly reflecting the mood of the song. Kyungsoo follows instructions and tries to observe his every move in detail, from the occasional flick of his hand to the sudden pauses he makes. It’s the passion, Kyungsoo thinks, the originality of the way he dances, the way he tries to own the stage, it’s what makes him the absolute best he’s ever seen. It’s…it’s Kai.

Taking a moment to pry his eyes away and look around, he realizes that Chen was right, Kai is a spotlight hogger. All eyes are trained on him as he dances, gasps of awe and smiles of admiration plastered on the audience’s faces. Kyungsoo takes a step back, thinking that maybe Jongin had meant to distract them and perhaps create an opportunity of escape for him. But the moment he moves from his spot, Kai points to him, and of course with everyone following the dancer’s every move they, in turn, also dart their eyes to a poor terrified Kyungsoo.

Jongin! He mentally pleads and sensing his distress, Kai moves closer, close enough to whisper and be heard.

“Let the music take over you. Nobody’s watching. It’s just you and me.”

“What should I do I don’t-“

“You’re D.O. for now. I need you to dance.”

“I-“

“I promised something right? Now I need you to trust me.” Kyungsoo looks up to see it’s not Kai he’s talking to but rather that sweet smile and those sparkling eyes tell him he’s speaking to Jongin, to the man he fell in love with.

 And he realizes doesn’t stand a chance against Jongin.

So in the end he closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, and Listens. He tries to let the melody sink in, tries to sync his rapid heartbeat with the bass so that the moment his eyes open, he just does what his body tells him to.

Surprisingly, the crowd is very encouraging, erupting in a loud cheer and applause as soon as he makes his first move. There’s still a trace of shyness in there, a little bit of restraint and awkwardness still evident, but it doesn’t seem to matter to most, especially not to Jongin who is watching him with a proud grin spread wide across his face.

Kyungsoo feels good about the positive reactions, so he tries to give more. With the beat of the music picking up its pace Kai decides to join in, imitating the smaller boy’s moves, admittedly with much more grace and slightly better execution. Kyungsoo smiles at him and starts moving with more confidence, the cheers getting louder and the music now completely upbeat.

They dance together, alternatively and in sync, and they do it with smiles on their faces. Soon enough the crowd is jumping along with them, Everyone just having a great time. At some point, Luhan and Sehun even manage to make their way down, squeeze through the crowd and jump onto the centre. Luhan shamelessly spins around in circles hand in hand with Kyungsoo while Sehun and Jongin have a rather intense dance battle with the headstands and breakdances and what not.

All of them are too hyped up to notice that the music is close to its end, and when it actually does come to a stop, the four are out of breath, panting and sweating. But none of them mind, how could they when the crowd is howling and cheering their names? How could Kyungsoo possibly feel tired when Jongin’s arm is currently slung over his shoulder (almost possessively), when he feels the other’s forehead press against his temple and when his warm breath is against his cheek?

He feels more alive than ever.

 

 

***

 

 

“Damn if I knew you were going to be that smooth centre stage then I wouldn’t have put myself through all that guilt.”

           

30 minutes after their little performance has finished, Chen chooses to join them outside to catch some fresh air while the dance floor is left open for all. The adrenaline rush was great and all but Kyungsoo has to admit that he’s kind of glad to be away from all those people for the time being. Knowing that he’ll be trapped within another sea of unfamiliar faces later that night he takes his time to relax for now.

Jongin scrunches his face in disgust as soon as Chen steps out of the doors, only because he knows all too well that the next thing the guy will most probably do is light a cigarette.

“Quit smoking will you?”

“What’s it to you.”

“It’s bad, unhealthy, and you might not be around to celebrate my 80th birthday, come on Jongdae.”

Chen merely rolls his eyes “Med students.”

“Jongdae?” Kyungsoo pipes in curiously.

“Yup. That’s me, Kim Jongdae. Stage name’s Chen if you hadn’t figured it out yet. Haven’t seen you around before though, so tell me what’s your name? Don’t worry I can hear you loud and clear now.”

“Do Kyungsoo.”

“Aaahh, Kyungsoo.” Chen, or Jongdae, nods in understanding. “And you two, I think I’ve seen you both a few times here. You’re that Sehun guy…am I right?”

Sehun raises his brow, surprised that he had recognized him so quickly but then simply shrugs it off. “Mm.”

“Yeah I remember you, face we used to call you.”

Jongin, punches him by the arm while Luhan lets out a snort in an attempt not to laugh.

“I don’t think you’ve ever came up before, what’s your name?”

“Luhan!” The doe eyed boy cheerfully says with his right hand in the air.

“Luhan? Okay then Luhan thanks for helping me out in Jongin’s little hide and seek game earlier.”

“Yeah Lu hyung. Thanks a lot.” Jongin says, sarcasm oozing form his statement.

“Anyway are you guys really planning to spend January the 1st here for an entire day or have you got other plans”

“The usuall.”

“The Con? Again? Don’t you ever get tired of that ?”    

“Don’t you ever get tired of hosting?”

“No man I love it.”

“There’s my answer then.”

 

Suddenly a strange buzzing sound interrupts their conversation and all eyes fall on Jongin as he fishes out his phone and realizes that someone’s calling. He checks the caller ID once and immediately holds his hand up to excuse himself for a few minutes. Luhan also excuses himself making a run for the restroom while Sehun just walks away without warning towards a bubble tea stand close by.

When they’re all a good distance away, Jongdae turns to Kyungsoo with a smile and the smaller boy notes the way the corners of his mouth slightly curve. “You were really good back there, sincerely.”

“Thank you…but I don’t dance much. Or…well I don’t dance at all.”

“Really? What a shame. There must be something you love doing though.”

“…I like baking? It’s what I do for a living.”

“Oh that’s cool.” Jongdae huffs a cloud of smoke out and Kyungsoo watches as it disappears into thin air.

“You know…Jongin’s right. Smoking is unhealthy…a lot of people die earlier because of it.”

“I know.”

“Why do you do it then?”

“Maybe…some nights….” He blows another cloud of smoke, and waits for it to disappear before continuing. “Some nights I wish death would come faster.”

Kyungsoo stares into the empty space in front of him, pondering on the other’s words. His eyes slowly move up to the sky which seemed darker than it had been this morning.

“I don’t know why you’d wish that but, Dying is really just…not a pleasant thing.”

He says eyes still cast on the sky, thinking of the right words to say. Jongdae waits for him to continue patiently. Kyungsoo tries to recall all the times he’s watched things come to life under his touch, he tries to recall how they’ve looked before his touch, the dry brown leaves or the withering flowers, the cold dead bodies of animals or insects.

“I think…” he begins again “I think death in its right time is beautiful, in a way… Like, how a tree’s journey to death gives us four seasons, or how an old man closes his eyes permanently, peaceful and painless.” He pauses again, refraining himself for adding the words that are coursing through his mind.

It makes me feel guilty, for having brought things back to life. Because all of the living shall confront death in due time. Who am I to disrupt what is meant to come naturally?

“But death forced upon someone? A human murdered, forest fires, or something as simple as fish out of water. It’s frightening.” These are the deaths that I want to interfere with the most. Death that falls upon the undeserving. “… It’s frightening and sad. So if I were you…I’d put that down. Because if you don’t, you might not experience the beauty of death in its right time. You’ll just force it upon yourself and one day it’ll come when you least expect it, raiding you of your dreams.”

 

Kyungsoo blinks up at the sky before returning his gaze to his companion, who seems to have been staring at him the entire time he talked. There’s a look of awe in his eyes, and the smaller boy couldn’t help but blush at it. He swallows and mumbles out a soft that’s what I think at least. while fiddling with the hem of his coat. When hands come up to ruffle his hair fondly however he looks up in time for Jongdae to puff a cloud of smoke square on his face. Kyungsoo coughs.

           

“Jongdae!”

 

Just like the night in shining armour he is Jongin comes jogging up to Kyungsoo, plucking Jongdae’s cigarette out of his hand and dropping it to the ground. The other doesn’t seem to be bothered about it though, merely returning a smug look at the tanned boy.

“Don’t get others involved in your little vices.” Jongin simply says, but Jongdae’s smirk doesn’t wipe off at that. Instead he pats Jongin’s shoulder and nods in approval. “I like your friend.” Is all he says before turning on his heel to disappear back into the building. The tanned boy sighs.

 

“You gotta excuse Jongdae he’s got … issues. But he’s a good guy I promise.”

“Oh, no it’s okay. Is he…uhm…okay though?”

“What do you mean?”

“He seems kind of…troubled.”

“Can’t blame him really.”

“What’s wrong?”

“It’s a private matter but… Both his parents are in jail and this is only one of the jobs he takes in order to earn enough money to bail them both out.”

"Oh…That’s…”

“Sad, depressing, Pitiful. It is but he doesn’t like being seen that way so we try not to talk about it.”

“He’s going to be okay…isn’t he?”

“Hey he’ll be fine. If I had the money to offer I’d have probably bailed them out myself.” Jongin chuckles.

Kyungsoo nods in agreement, gaze flickering momentarily to the inside of the building.

“Ah, by the way, Who called?”

“Oh, it was Taemin.”

“What was it about?”

“He and Krystal are already at the venue too. We should probably go pick them up.”

           

Oh. Krystal. Right.

 

Kyungsoo sighs, knowing that his time alone with Jongin will be cut short. Or at least, he’s going to need to earn it now that someone else will be after it too.

 

 


A/N: So i divided New Year into 2 parts morning and evening. But this took me SO long to think of like, it's not even because i'm trying to come up with something perfect its just damn writer's block hit me strong for this chapter. Literally felt SO unmotivated ;_; and im sorry if it reflects. But anyway, here ya'll go a little bit of a kaisoo rich chapter filled with conversations lol. Not very proud of this one but meh. School starts soon and i'm pretty much stressed over all the changes i have to adjust to orz i transferred universities this year and my life is taking a 360 degree turn lol please pray for my soul sobs