Spin the bottle

Pushing Daisies

The day before Christmas comes like it does every year in Kyungsoo’s bakeshop, through a wave of eager customers ready to pick up their holiday orders. Sometimes his jaw feels like dropping as a result of all the smiles he has to throw in package with the enthusiastic greetings of Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas. He mentally thanks their head honcho for having established the system of “Holiday Reserves”, where Kyungsoo no longer has to take the extra effort of baking on the said day because all orders have been pre-reserved and made.

The long line of people gradually shortens until the clock strikes 12 pm, and pick-up time is finally over.

Sehun and Luhan both sigh in relief and give a little joy dance in celebration of a job well done. But in contrast to the scene, there stands Kyungsoo somewhere in the background, a lot less happier than he’s supposed to be as he knows what is to become of him upon the exit of their final customer. He sulks grumpily when Luhan comes out of the Kitchen with a sly smirk.

           

“So…” he grins at the smaller boy slumped over the counter, pounding his head repeatedly in misery.

“There are few dozen cupcakes and cookies left.”

“How few.”

"To be exact, 7 boxes.”

Kyungsoo whimpers. “This is so unfair.”

“Oh man this is gonna be great.” The youngest among them snickers amusedly to himself, following Luhan around back to the storage room and retrieving something that only makes Kyungsoo whine even louder.

           

The doe eyed eldest couldn’t hold back his laughter as he lifts up what now comes clear to us as an incredibly uncomfortable looking pororo mascot.

 

“You can’t do this to me! Can we please reconsider for today? I think I feel a little sick, what if my powers act up, I might suddenly bring steve jobs back to life or something please just- not me-“

 “Nope, no Hyung, it’s your turn this year. I have been through this hell and today is definitely your day. Play fair now.”

 “You two never had to wear freaking costumes!”

“Hush” Luhan ushers a resistant Kyungsoo towards the bathroom to change into his death suit- or rather costume. “I know you’ve always loved pororo.”

“It’s almost Christmas!”

“Exactly! Where’s your Christmas spirit go and make some people happy!”

           

Kyungsoo swears his friend’s laughs have never been as annoying as they sound right now, from behind a closed bathroom door which he has been forcibly shoved into.

 

On the first Christmas after their shop had just opened, the trio of employees agreed upon themselves that for each year they would make more than the reserved amount of pastries and give them out for free to any passer-by, merely for the sake of generosity and livening up the holiday spirit. Like a little Christmas project, to the people, love, the hongdae bakeshop. But of course, with Luhan and his tendency to twist things up in the most bizarre ways imaginable, he had somehow managed to come up with highly embarrassing slash obnoxious ways to give them out.

Last Year Sehun had been dragged into a salon against his own will for a little experiment the eldest had up his sleeve (end result? A crown of rainbow coloured locks and a very grumpy maknae). This year things don’t get any less surprising, Kyungsoo having to hide beneath the face of a gigantic blue penguin costume from god knows where.

 

“Oh my god this is so itchy.” He whines, although the two can barely hear him underneath the costume.

“Now Kyungsoo, think of it this way, at least you don’t have to smile or say anything. You could even make faces at them! They’ll never know.” Luhan ‘encourages’, handing the smaller boy his first box of cookies while Sehun eyes the both of them bitterly.

“Tch- please. You got it easy. I had nothing to cover up my identity.”

Well, he has a point. Kyungsoo sympathizes, flapping up his penguin flipper to pat the sulky maknae on the back.

“Aw look at you get a hang of it- now- me and Hun will be right here, sipping some coffee and nibbling on some muffins while you go and have fun!”

           

Stepping outside into the crowded streets with several pairs of curious and mocking eyes turning towards him, Kyungsoo knew this would be anything but fun.

 

He begins awkwardly, shifting his weight from one foot to another as he offers students and teachers and employees alike a piece of his warm, freshly baked batch of cookies. Their reactions vary; teenage girls bowing shyly in thanks to him, college boys threatening to hit him if he gets any closer, ahjummas and ahjussis trying to engage him in lengthy conversations (which he can’t actually respond to, because hello, mascot). His favourite reactions though, go to the children, liking the way they are so easily pleased when others cannot find it in themselves to be satisfied with what he has to offer.

But Luckily the boxes are never too hard to finish, and only about 45 minutes have passed when he finally holds the last box in hand. Turning to face the glass windows of the shop, he flaps his penguin wings in victory, holding up his last box for Sehun and Luhan to see. True enough they cheer along with him from the inside, a silent exchange of fighting!! Go for it! Last box! You can do it! Occurring before Kyungsoo resumes his job, recharged with a new energy brought about by the eagerness to get this over with.

He freezes however, when he spots a familiar face he’s come to love and adore.

 

“Wow. They hired a mascot for Christmas.”

 

There’s a momentary feeling of panic within Kyungsoo upon coming face to face with his (no matter how much he denies it) crush, until he realizes that Jongin doesn’t know it’s actually him underneath  this heap of blue so he lets out a breath of relief he didn’t know he was holding. Watching the tanned boy smile genuinely at him, he nods his penguin head before taking a dramatic bow.

His heart beats ten times faster when he watches Jongin bow back gingerly. Adorable.

With the assurance that his identity is hidden, Kyungsoo decides to be a bit more bold with his actions, doing his best imitation of a cute penguin walk towards the other before opening the box of cookies he held in offering. Jongin laughs and takes one without hesitation, stuffing it immediately into his mouth.

           

“I just got a cookie from my favourite character since forever, could this day get any better?”

He loves Pororo as well. That’s it. He’s the one. We’re gonna have a date in my house where we can watch pororo together snuggled in our blankets, I wonder if he loves hot chocolate too.

“Oh- actually-“ Jongin speaks up after having taken a generous bite, snapping Kyungsoo out of his daydream. “Do you know the baker who works here? I mean- small guy white complexion really adorable-“

Trying to surpass the laugh that threatens to spill through his lips, the penguin just nods.

“Is he inside right now? I might need to-“

Jongin doesn’t even make it to the door before the penguin is shaking his head and waving his flippers violently at him, ushering him back away from the store.

“He’s not here?”

The penguin shakes his head with much persistence.

“Oh. That’s too bad.” obvious disappointment can be seen in his face as he checks his watch briefly. Realizing the time, he rushes to pick out a yellow note clumsily folded into the pocket of his jeans, reaching it out to the oddly dressed Kyungsoo.

“I can’t stay long, so do you think you could just give this to him?”

The penguin tilts his head curiously, taking the note in his hands. (or flippers)

“It’s an invitation. Nothing fancy.” Jongin winks, turning around and jogging hurriedly up the sidewalks, “he could bring his friends!” he shouts over his shoulder, before completely being swallowed by the crowd of people.

 

Kyungsoo blinks a few times, unsure of what had just happened. He walks with his stubby yellow penguin feet back into the store, where Luhan and Sehun look up from their second cups of coffee, seemingly surprised to see him. 

“Done already?” The youngest inquires, although he gets no response as Kyungsoo merely takes off the mascot’s head dress before sitting tiredly beside him.

“Hey- There are 11 more, what gives!” Luhan is the first to complain when he opens the last box of cookies the smaller boy had unsuccessfully given out. But again Kyungsoo ignores his friend, opting instead to carefully unfold the piece of bright yellow paper handed to him a while ago, only to reveal a very messy looking handwriting.

It reads:

 

Kyungsoo! I was wondering if you’d like to come over to the dance studio this Christmas Eve and meet some of my friends. We’re having a mini celebration over there and it’d be really nice if you could join. I hope you haven’t got much planned. Everyone special to me will come, won’t you?

           

Address and Cell number is @ the back. I really want to spend Christmas with you.

 

P.S. I know I know, I could’ve done better than a crumpled sad looking yellow paper. I’m studying medicine, not art!

 

           

“…next thing you know he’ll be introducing you to his parents.” Sehun comments as he takes another sip from his latte.

In the next five minutes however he finds himself reeling in pain as he clutches his stomach tightly, the area where Kyungsoo had punched him painfully aching while a concerned Luhan rushes immediately to his side to coo over him.

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t care less though, the shop doors chiming as he hurries his way out after changing, knowing all too well that he would be taking longer than usual picking out tonight’s outfit.

 

 

***

 

 

“You know it doesn’t make much difference if you wear specks or not your eyes still bulge out more than necessary.”

 

Outside Kyungsoo’s window the sun is already close to disappearing into the horizon, Christmas lanterns and decorations slowly coming to life, people are going about to their evening dinner reservations or setting up their homes for upcoming guests, nights have never been more alive and everybody is busy with their own plans…

Everybody including Kyungsoo, who has yet to figure out what he is to wear.

 

“Tell me, why are you so worked up on this Jongin dude anyway.” Seungsoo, his older brother, comments over a mouthful of toast, standing idly by the doorway as he watches his sibling fuss over himself. He merely sighs before adjusting the round specks over his eyes, taking one last look at his reflection before letting out a loud groan, tussling and pulling his hair in frustration.

“I give up.” The younger of the two whines, standing up and gathering his things before carelessly stuffing them into his backpack. Seungsoo watches as he rushes about in his room, grabbing his jacket and his wallet before hopping out the door while trying to put on his left shoe. The elder rolls his eyes.

Kyungsoo stops a few steps away from the door, turning around with an expression that hints slight guilt. “…Uhm, do you want to come? I mean, he said I could bring friends…I wouldn’t want to leave you alone on Christmas.”

Seungsoo laughs softly before patting his brother’s shoulder in an effort to assure him. “Nah. I’m not as anti-social as you, I got my own friends and we’re going over to the countdown event. You don’t have to worry, so have fun okay?”

Kyungsoo smiles, letting a soft chuckle escape his lips as he looks down at his feet. “Yah, you’re not the best socializer out there either, don’t get so cocky.”

 

They both laugh heartily before the eldest decides to pull the other into a warm hug. “Merry Christmas twerp.”

“Merry Christmas Hyung.”

           

 After a while Kyungsoo finally separates, waving one last time before stepping out into the cold.

The last words that he hears however, let another wave of intense guilt eat him up for his entire walk over to Jongin’s dance studio.

           

I wish mom and dad were here.”

 

 

***

 

           

The first thing he hears is laughter. Standing outside the 5th floor studio he hears the mixed voices of girls and boys, the clink of glasses and the soft play of music in the background. Kyungsoo shifts his weight nervously from one foot to another, eyes downcast at his exposed hands. In his earlier rush to get here, it had slipped his mind to put on a pair of gloves for protection. A worried expression causes his brows to furrow, for he did not want jongin to know about his ability just yet, especially not by mere accident.

 

But he supposes that it’s highly unlikely for them to keep something lifeless in a dance studio, right?

           

Wiggling his fingers, he wills his powers to cooperate just this once. Breathing deeply, he composes himself, before stepping forward to peek into the glass window of the door.

He couldn’t surpass the shriek that escapes however, when the first thing he sees is Luhan’s face directly across from his on the other side.

“Kyungsoo!” the doe-eyed boy exclaims, his voice a little muffled from behind the glass. After a chuckle he immediately proceeds to open the door and greet the other with a wave. Kyungsoo clutches his heart.

“L-Luhan?! What- what are you-“

“Well I was about to go to the bathroom but then I saw your cute little face doing some breathing exercises in front of the door-“

“What are you doing here?!”

“I just told you I was going to the bathroom-“

“No! What are you doing here!

 

“It’s alright, I let them crash.”

 

Kyungsoo stiffens at the third voice that now enters into their conversation, knowing all too well to whom it belongs to. As if on cue, Jongin makes his appearance beside Luhan, holding the door wider for the smaller man to enter. Eyeing him from head to toe Kyungsoo takes note of two things, how Jongin’s smile is absolutely beautiful and how the other doesn’t seem to be a very big fan of socks.

“Hi. uh. Them?” Is all the smaller boy manages, unconsciously holding his hands closer to himself, as if he were afraid Jongin were a walking carcass.

“Yeah, uhm, actually your friend Sehun is here too. I was kind of worried you weren’t going to come, since you weren’t with them and all…” The tanned boy’s voice gradually reduces to a mumble as he shyly scratches the back of his neck. Kyungsoo mentally coos at him.

“Suddenly I don’t really feel like going to the bathroom anymore. I don’t think I want to miss anything.” Luhan says, effectively breaking the silence of the staring contest that went on. He smirks before pushing his way past Jongin to return to his spot on the floor seated next to a sullen looking Sehun.

“You know he still scares me.” Jongin all but whispers.

 “Don’t worry, soon your fear will turn into annoyance.”

“huh, Really… Anyway, come in. Sorry but it’s just a simple get together so we didn’t bring much other than a few take-outs. Right this way sir.” Jongin playfully gives a formal bow before leading Kyungsoo towards his waiting circle of friends.

           

As to be expected out of a dance studio, the room was big and empty, one wall covered and lined with mirrors while another provided a beautiful view of the city through rows of windows. Rather than being sad at the emptiness of it all Kyungsoo felt quite relieved knowing that he has less chances of accidentally springing some random dead thing back to life.

He puts on his biggest smile to give out a good impression to the circle of people seated on the floor at the centre. There were about 8 of them in total, including Sehun and Luhan. Some smile back at him politely, others busy themselves with the heap load of take-out food placed in the middle (mainly pizza, Chinese boxes, a few sushi platters here and there, and a hella lot of chicken).

 

“Guys, This is Kyungsoo, you know the guy from the bakery I’ve been talking about.”

“Bakery? So did you bring cake?” A boy looking very much similar to jongin inquires with a mouth full of pizza.

"N-no- I’m sorry I didn’t- was I supposed to? I-“

“What?”

All too suddenly the boy stops chewing, his expression turning dark and serious. “Isn’t it common courtesy to bring something to share in a gathering?”

“I- I’m- I’m so sorry- I’m going to go-“ Kyungsoo momentarily panics, shuffling on his feet nervously, unsure on whether to sprint back to the bakery or to get on his knees and apologize. Though he isn’t given enough time to decide because even before he could turn around the boy is smiling again, laughing a little too loudly.

“yah,” he laughs, all signs of annoyance disappearing as fast as it had came. “take it easy small guy, I’m just kidding! It’s alright we’ve got more than enough food.”

 “That’s Taemin.” Jongin whispers, Kyungsoo tries not to let the warm breath against his ear distract him. “I get paired up with him a lot in dance performances.

 

“You already ate my favourite, ing give me this one at least!”

“Can’t hear you, tastes too good my hearing senses have been blocked.”

“That doesn’t make sense moron, are your ears in your mouth? Give that to me!”

“Oops! I ate the last one.”

“ing-“

 

 "J-Jongin.” Kyungsoo flinches at the sight of two bickering boys, the one with thin sharp eyes nearly strangling the other with larger than average ears. “Are they okay? Should we stop them?”

Jongin merely sighs, all too used to such a scene. “The two fighting over a bag of chips is Chanyeol and Baekhyun, and it’s obviously not a very good decision putting them together. Nast combination they are... The quiet one is Minseok hyung,” He points to the pink haired boy seated silently among them, his slanted eyes and crooked smile catching Kyungsoo’s attention more than anything.

Jongin’s fingers direct him next to the guy who waves at them with a smile, his features striking and admittedly handsome. A somewhat more soft and angelic type of handsome compared to Jongin’s. “Money face over there, who paid for everything by the way, is junmyeon hyung, and last but not the least-

 

“Hello,” Kyungsoo blinks as a woman who is suddenly in front of him interrupts Jongin’s introductions.

“You must be Kyungsoo. It’s nice to finally meet you.”

 

In front of Kyungsoo stands a beautiful girl, tall and slender with fiery red hair and chic edgy clothing. His mouth slightly drops because she’s perfect in every way, her striking eyes, her pretty little nose and her soft pink lips. He’s pretty sure she’s every man’s dream.

Just not his maybe, because his cheeks are still slightly burning due to the previous closeness in proximity with a certain tanned boy.

 

He unconsciously frowns when the warmth beside him disappears, Jongin emerging into sight, standing beside the pretty woman and placing an arm around her. “-this doll face is Krystal. My bestfriend.”

The girl, Krystal, Smiles sweetly. “It’s nice to meet you. You’re as cute as he says- Ow!”

She winces as Jongin pinches her hip slightly, which earns yet another unconscious frown from Kyungsoo. “Stop it blabber mouth!”

“It’s true it’s all that’s ever left your mouth!”

"Too much info!”

“Don’t act so innocent.”

“Says the teacher’s pet.”

“Excuse me, I’m just naturally likeable.”

“That’s not what Kris said when he rejected your little crush during 3rd grade.”

Krystal merely rolls her eyes before smiling ever so sweetly again to Kyungsoo, who at that moment, feels slightly left out. “Don’t mind him. Isn’t he annoying? Come sit beside me!”

“Hey! Friend stealer!”

 

Friend. Kyungsoo pretends it doesn’t hurt too much to hear.

 

The next thing he knows, he’s being dragged by the arm towards a spot next to Krystal on the floor, the young girl sandwiched between him and her bestfriend. Part of Kyungsoo feels slightly disappointed at the one person gap between him and Jongin, his earlier wishes of spending the night rubbing shoulders with the tanned boy crushed and thrown into non-existence. His lower lip juts out in a pout as Jongin finally turns his attention away from him and more to his friend Taemin who talks to him about some new dance routine. Kyungsoo tries not to be so selfish about someone who isn’t even his so he distracts himself by constantly nagging at his two friends and occasionally making small talk with everyone.

 

Although the bottles of soju that all begin passing around doesn’t help him the slightest bit.

 

An hour or two into the night is all it takes for words to get slurred, actions to become careless, and thoughts to be jumbled. Apart from the few who don’t drink (Kyungsoo, Krystal, and Sehun who volunteered not to drink just to make sure nobody does anything funny), all seem to be slowly letting the alcohol take over their senses.

Based on the scenario, there 6 are kinds of drunks:

  1. The personality turn over: Minseok would probably be the best example for this one. Whatever trace of shyness left in him is flinged out the window as his laughter fills up the entire room along with his senseless chatters and jokes.
  2. The cry baby: this is Junmyeon all the way. You’d take one look at him and his strange scrunched up face and you just know he’s about to bawl.
  3. The hysteric: Chanyeol’s pretty much the same sober and drunk, it’s just when he’s drunk everything about him is…intensified. He laughs at just about anything and everything, and when we say anything we mean anything including the ant that passes by or his own reflection.
  4. The neat freak: Kyungsoo’s always found drunk Luhan funny, especially because of his weird tendency to pick up all the mess he lays his eyes on, be it the empty paper cups or the bag of chips or the scattered tissue papers.  He just piles them in front of him until he has nothing more to grab. (It’s then that he puts the mess back where he found them and starts gathering them up again)
  5. The touchy feely: Kyungsoo’s not all too happy to find out that Jongin belongs to this type, probably because he’s not on the receiving end of the other’s need for skin on skin. The tanned boy’s hand is fiddling with Krystal’s while he constantly attempts to bite taemin (who is apparently also under the same type) on the shoulder before giving up and leaning his head on it instead. Kyungsoo is dying to take a spot next to him and see what kind of skinship he'd receive too.
  6. The all-of-the-above: Combine everything together and you get a Byun Baekhyun.

 

Everyone becomes immersed in their own little worlds and Kyungsoo decides that it’s too difficult to converse with any of them in their current states (his patience isn’t one to be admired), so he settles for awkwardly staring down at an ant crawling on the floor in front of him. Beside him Krystal continues to laugh at her bestfriend as she tries to coax him to keep his hands to himself, the scenario only contributing to Kyungsoo’s darkening mood.

To be honest, he kind of imagined his night to go a little differently. In his mind he enters the dance studio with a smile because jongin is the one who answers the door, seeming just as excited as he is. When he shivers slightly the other would take his hands and usher him quickly inside, helping him take off his jacket and scarf. Their hands would find each other again and Jongin will lead him to his circle of friends for some grand introduction like This is the really cute baker down at the hongdae shop, or This is Kyungsoo, isn’t he adorable? Hands off though he’s mine. They’d sit beside each other for the rest of the night, and Jongin will secretly rub circles with his thumb against the back of Kyungsoo’s hand, and Kyungsoo will slowly and shyly lay his head against the other’s shoulder. The night will grow deeper like this and it will beautifully end with Jongin’s breath against Kyungsoo’s ear as he whispers a sweet Merry Christmas and maybe a few more things the smaller boy so badly wants to hear.

But no, none of that happens and Kyungsoo finds himself trying to block out the sound of Krystal and Jongin’s mixed laughter as he presses his finger down onto the ant causing it’s immediate death. Mindlessly he pokes it another time and of course, it springs back to life, going about its way like it had not just faced death a few seconds ago. Any last words? Kyungsoo whispers to himself as he lowers his finger to bring the poor creature to its last and final moments.

Before he is able to though, a hand stops him from going any further, and he looks up to find that it belongs to Sehun, the younger shaking his head in disapproval. Kyungsoo sighs in defeat, reluctantly lifting his gaze to see what he was missing.

His cheeks immediately turn a shade lighter however, when he finds Jongin staring so intensely at him.

 

“Let’s play spin the bottle.” The tanned boy blurts out.

“That’s a great idea! Let’s!” Chanyeol responds, already on his feet to pick up the nearest empty bottle of soju.

At the mention of the game everyone is almost instantly back in their places (except for Junmyeon who was straight up slapped by Baekhyun with a not so gentle ‘stop crying moron.’).

Chanyeol sits on his heels as he straightens his back and puts on a serious expression, trying to look dignified. “Okay, rules. We need to have rules!”

“No just spin the bottle already!” Minseok shouts. Kyungsoo’s still not entirely used to his noisy side.

“And then what?”

“We spin the bottle!”

“Minseok hyung we can’t just spin the bottle endlessly without doing anything.”

“Isn’t that why it’s called spin the bottle?”

“A kiss.” Jongin speaks up, gaze flickering to Kyungsoo for a split second. “Spin the bottle and the two people need to kiss. Square on the lips.”

“But you’re all guys.” Krystal blurts out.

“More challenge then.”

“I like that kkamjong.”

“Baek, I told you don’t call me that!”

 “Can you just spin it already?” Junmyeon whines, attempting to grab onto the bottle at Chanyeol’s hands, but miserably failing due to the other’s long arms holding it high.

“you’re not the bottle holder my small friend.”

 

“Christ I’ll do it.”

 

Chanyeol stares at his now empty hands puzzled. He squints his eyes in confusion before whipping his head up to find Sehun striding towards the centre non-chalantly, holding the bottle in his hand. Carefully he places it down and gives everyone one final look before spinning it.

It turns and it turns and it turns, and Kyungsoo is mentally praying that it doesn’t land on him. It’s never really been his ideal first kiss, one with a drunk guy in a dance studio a few minutes before Christmas eve. But if it lands on Jongin, he thinks he can make an exception just this once.

It turns and it turns and it turns and all hold their breaths, watching the bottle gradually slow down until it comes to a full stop. Their gazes trace the invisible line it points and a roar of laughter erupts when they find out that it had landed on a certain doe-eyed newcomer named Luhan.

 

“Flower boy!” Taemin shouts “Boy I wouldn’t mind kissing you you’re as good as any girl could get.”

“Are you finished with the bottle?” Luhan asks, seemingly unfazed by the current situation and more concerned with the mess that is the soju bottle at the centre. “Can I throw it away now?”

“No princess we need to spin it again.” The doe eyed boy pouts, Junmyeon crawling forward in order to give the bottle another spin.

 

It turns and it turns and it turns and everyone waits in anticipation. Kyungsoo closes his eyes and continues reciting all the prayers he knows because there is no way in hell he is kissing his best friend slash best enemy please God don’t do this-

 

“Sehun!”

 

He opens his eyes in both relief and shock, turning them towards the surprised looking maknae.

 

“He’s not drunk” “I’m not drunk.”

Luhan and Sehun say in unison. Jongin breaks out in laughter.

“Lu, are you saying you need to get someone drunk to kiss you? Come on Sehun just a peck would do!”

 

When everyone begins throwing cat calls and chanting the youngest’s name Kyungsoo looks at him rather worriedly. He sees the glint of nervousness in Sehun’s eyes despite the rest of his face remaining stoic, so he does his best to convey a “you don’t have to do this” gesture by placing his hand on the other’s shoulder.

He isn’t new to the fact that Sehun had been mildly crushing on Luhan since forever, the youngest thinking that it was probably just some petty infatuation back then. Kyungsoo had let it slide off his shoulder for the longest time, however by the way Sehun is uncomfortably fidgeting with his fingers and averting his gaze, it’s now ridiculously obvious to the older that he had never seemed to get over this so called ‘infatuation’ of his.

Sehun doesn’t make eye contact with him however, swallowing once before quickly leaning in for Luhan’s lips and giving everyone what they want.

It’s a quick and innocent peck, but apparently it’s enough to make Luhan freeze.

Silence reigns when the youngest returns to his seat, keeping his gaze on the wall opposite him and clearing his throat in an attempt to make things less awkward. “Next.” He all but mumbles.

And then the noise comes.

 

“Woah I didn’t expect you to actually do it!”

“Yeah wow Sehun-ah how sneaky of you”

“Look at Luhan he’s completely love-struck hahahahaha!”

“Now that’s a real man.”

“He just kissed a guy though what part of that is ‘real man’”

“Courage my friend.”

“Alright who’s next!”

 

Part of Sehun hopes that the alcohol would at least do a little justice to him and erase all of their memories the next morning.

This is how a night filled with pecks and kisses and in some cases intense make out sessions begin.

Somehow, Kyungsoo wishes that Sehun had never done that kiss with Luhan in the first place, maybe then the game wouldn’t have continued, maybe then he wouldn’t have had to watch Chanyeol and Baekhyun eat each other’s faces, or he wouldn’t have had to watch Minseok nearly vomit In Taemin’s mouth, or to see Jongin giving Junmyeon a really sloppy kiss on the lips (which Junmyeon was obviously not enjoying),

 

maybe then he wouldn’t have to be staring in sheer horror at the bottle pointed right at him.

 

He swallows nervously, his body tensing as all eyes land on him. For the past few minutes he, Krystal, and Sehun have all agreed to avoid the bottle’s wrath as much as possible because they did not want to be smooching anyone in their sober, fully-aware, state.  Luckily they had managed to do so for almost the entire game. Almost .Unluckily, Kyungsoo had let his mind wander for a split second but it seems that a split second was all it took for the bottle to find its way to him.

His eyes go wide when the second spin is made. Crossing his fingers, he hopes that it would at least land on-

“Jongin!”

 

Bingo. Kyungsoo thinks he hears wedding bells in the far distance.

 

He hesitantly lifts his head to get a glimpse of the tanned boy’s reaction and no doubt his heart rate increases when he finds that Jongin is looking at him with a cheesy smile plastered on his lips. Kyungsoo knows his cheeks are probably burning right now but he doesn’t really care because Jongin is suddenly on all fours crawling across the floor towards where he sat and all he could do is sit there and shut his eyes tightly because jongin is about to kiss him and it’s all he ever wanted and it’s going to come true soon and-

The soft lips that are supposed to be pressed warmly against his do not come.

Instead his one eye opens to the scene of Jongin being pushed back harshly onto his seat by the only female of the group, Krystal, who stands up hurriedly to pick up the empty bottle and hand it to Luhan (he’s been itching to throw it away since the game started) to be disposed.

Kyungsoo blinks and watches as the woman stands in the middle, her hands to her hips.

“You guys are so shameless, give the newcomer a break he’s just met us and yet here you guys are drinking alcohol to your life’s content.” She turns to Kyungsoo with an apologetic gaze, but somehow Kyungsoo could sense something else in her expression, something he couldn’t quite point out. “I’m sorry Kyungsoo, don’t worry you don’t have to do it we’re stopping here.”

The small boy blinks, not entirely sure if he should be grateful or disappointed.

“You’re no fun Krys.” Jongin retorts, leaning back on his seat before sprawling his body across the floor. Kyungsoo thinks he’s definitely disappointed.

"Shut up ert. Anyway.” She checks her wrist watch. "it’s almost midnight!”

“What?!” Baekhyun shouts, scrambling towards the windows while others follow suit.

“Are you serious?? We’ll miss the fireworks come on guys!”

“Luhan stop cleaning will you and come over here!”

“Jongin!”

“I’m coming I’m coming..Kyungsoo get over here!”

 

In a few seconds tops everyone is standing by the window, eagerly watching the multicolored Christmas lights twinkle, blinking on and off in sync with the Christmas music that booms from store speakers. Kyungsoo is left sitting on his spot, unsure of what the commotion was all about and still slightly disappointed at the previous happening. He’s about to get up and follow the rest when suddenly Krystal’s hand comes into his line of sight and he looks up to find her smiling fondly at him.

“Come on we’ll miss the fireworks. This place is close to the countdown event and every Christmas the fireworks look beautiful from our view here in the dance studio. It’s become sort of a thing for us to watch. Come on up up up!”

“Oh, okay. Thank you.”

Kyungsoo takes her hand and he’s easily lifted onto his feet and pulled towards the window. Krystal pulls him towards a spot next to Sehun, who eyes them warily before turning his bored gaze back to the stretch of buildings outside. Kyungsoo subtly looks at Jongin from the corner of his eyes and finds that the other glances at him briefly as well, smiling before joining the others in their chatter.

“One minute guys! Shall we have a countdown of our own??” Baekhyun shouts, arms outstretched as though he were talking to a crowd of fans.

“60!...59!!...58!!..” Chanyeol begins, mimicking Baekhyun’s actions and raising his hands, urging the rest to join in with him, which they do (except for Sehun who just rolls his eyes).

 

Kyungsoo smiles, thinking its best not to let his thoughts get in the way of enjoying this special occasion, and so he joins in on their counting feeling himself get more and more excited with each number lower. They’re on the 20th second however, when Krystal suddenly places her hand over his wrist, causing him to look at her wide-eyed, curiously tilting his head to one side with a gentle smile.

“It’s almost Christmas.” He smiles wider. “What is it?”

“Kyungsoo.”

 

19! 18! 17! 16!

 

“Can I trust you with a secret?”

“Of course.”

“Will you promise not to tell?”

“ I promise.”

           

 11! 10! 9! 8!

Krystal returns her gaze out the window, Kyungsoo can only blink cluelessly.

 

5! 4! 3! 2!-

“I…I love Jongin. I always have. Always will.”

 

Merry Christmas!!!!

“and I need your help.”

 

In the background is a mixture of sounds including the gleeful cheers and greetings and the muffled boom of fireworks in the sky somewhere in the distance. It brings a burst of colour into the dark room as Kyungsoo feels a weight pounce on his back and a pair of arms wrap around his shoulder, an aura of celebration and happiness exuding from each one of them.

Well, maybe each one of them except Kyungsoo, who stands there completely still, all the sounds muted except for the rapid beating of his heart, all his surroundings blurred except for the sight of a certain female with fiery red hair approaching her best friend and hugging him intimately.

 

Kyungsoo thinks this is his worst Christmas yet.      

            

 


A/N: waah this took longer for me to update! sorry i've been busy orz but it's fathers day today so happy fathers day to y'all super dads out there! anyway, nothing much about Kyungsoo's powers here but just another chapter more on Jongin and his friends now. lol? Idk why i picked that crowd tbh its the most random ever i swear. And do Koreans celebrate Christmas lol idk so lets just pretend they do orz