Awkward Encounters

Pushing Daisies

Tall businessman in a suit, very unhappy with the world. Sleepy looking high school student fixing her bag. Middle-aged woman wearing tacky clothes and 4-inch heels. Thin, scruffy looking street cats rummaging through the dumpsters.

 

It’s become a habit of Kyungsoo’s to carefully observe his surroundings as he waits for the 7:30 am train to arrive, his watchful eyes leaving nothing unnoticed. He pauses for a moment, adjusting his fur rimmed hood to cover more of his reddening cheeks, allowing a white cloud to form around his mouth as he takes a breath of air and digs his hands deeper into his pockets. Inhale Stress, Exhale life.  

           

Sleeping vendor by the newspaper stand. Teenage boys riding by in their skateboards. A mother shushing her child. The station clock ticking ever so slowly.

 

Nothing really changes. It’s the same old thing on the same old days. On Tuesdays the newspaper vendor is not around, on Wednesdays a blonde haired girl is always jogging by, on Fridays there are twice as many people as usual. Sounds boring but it’s the way Kyungsoo likes it, always having primary knowledge on what to expect. He sways back and forth on his feet, the vibrations of the incoming train ringing his senses awake.

 

Approaching train. Impatient business woman tapping her foot. Doors sliding open. A stream of people gushing past. Little girl drops her teddy bear. Call center agents heading home. University students drinking coffee.

 

The ride to Hongdae station isn’t long, so Kyungsoo never chooses to take a seat no matter how many are vacant. Besides, he likes standing by the door, getting a clearer view of the city they speed past, most especially the sky above it. A vast and endless matting of blue blanketing the earth. He wonders if somewhere up there lies heaven, where little angels flap their tiny wings while playing soft lullabies on their cute golden harps. Do all souls become angels?

           

Cemented walls. Train coming to a stop. Female announcer on the speakers. Passengers getting up. Old woman fast asleep by the far end. Swoosh, train doors opening.  Hongdae Station.

 

Dark-skinned boy runs past right before the doors close. A sly smile and a sticky gaze. The train leaves.

 

 

***

 

 

“Please Kyungie? Please?”

“Luhan Hyung, no. You know the consequences”

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t take his eyes off the batter he whisks. A feminine looking boy hovering close by has his hands clasped together as he threatens to lean on and destroy a towering white wedding cake, which only earns him an unsympathetic glare from the other. We assume this is Luhan.

           

“Why not? He’s just a dog. I’ve had him for 7 years Kyung 7 years! What’s a few more?”

“It’s not that simple hyung, you add a few more you take a few more it’s a give and take situation. Does this lack something?”

“Add one more egg.”

“Right.”

           

Outside snow is falling, the skies grey and gloomy as compared to earlier morning’s cloudless stretch of blue. Holiday season is fast approaching and despite the cold weather, the bakeshop still gets its regular line of customers coming in one after the other, requesting several different varieties of pastries like cakes or brownies or cupcakes. It’s a season of hard work and extra hours but Kyungsoo doesn’t mind, in fact, he likes this season the best. He likes immersing himself in the colorful platters of vanila and mocha, drowning in the smell of cinnamon that wafts across his kitchen as he places a newly finished order into the freezer. He loves to bake. That’s just it.

           

It’s also mostly because keeping himself within the four solitary walls of the kitchen saves him from a creating a lot of unnecessary trouble. The kinds of trouble Luhan’s bringing to him right now.

 

“Hyung, shouldn’t you be outside by the counter? What if a customer comes in…”

“I’m not returning unless you say yes.”

“Luhan Hyung…”

“Please Kyungsoo? Please? I accepted you right? Remember 12th grade? Remember when I didn’t call you a freak like the rest of the class did? Hm?”

 

He’s pulling the guilt card. Control Kyungsoo, control. Don’t let those big doe eyes get to you or I swear you’ll regret it-

 

“Okay Fine.” Well so much for control. “After work. Now go back to the counter”

 

It’s easy to tell that the older boy is satisfied with his response, what with the way he throws his fist into the air before giddily skipping to the other’s side and planting a quick peck on his cheek. The small act of affection however extracts nothing but a short glance and a soft groan from the workaholic. Kyungsoo adds another egg into the batter before whisking it to perfection, hearing his companion exit the door and return to their impatient customers.

 

The day progresses slowly. With each hour that passes a new cake is added to the collection on display for passers-by to glance at and hunger for. Luhan goes about charming their customers, while another one of their co-employees help out with the deliveries. He’s a young quiet guy who often keeps to himself and who is quite tall for his age. His signature stone expression gets a little scary at times when it never seems to falter no matter what situation he’s put under. Kyungsoo wonders how Luhan manages to get the guy smiling and laughing. They call him Sehun.

 

 It takes a knock on the doorframe from his doe-eyed hyung and a short whistle from his expressionless dongsaeng for Kyungsoo to realize that it’s already closing time. Saturday evenings are probably the only evenings when they’re allowed to head home early. Kyungsoo stocks the last of his masterpieces into the refrigirator as Sehun takes note of their inventory and Luhan shuts out the lights. Cold air brushes past the trio as they step out from the warmth of the bakery into the chilly night, the skies heavy with grey clouds that cry tears of snow, each falling slowly and gently to the ground below them.  

           

“Thanks for your hard work today guys.” Luhan says out of habit. Sehun takes it as a cue to go on their separate ways as per usual. Going about the normal routine he begins unhinging his bike from the stand by the alleyway, strolling it alongside him down the road. Before he could even get a few blocks away however, he stops, noticing his two hyungs heading down the same direction side by side, which isn’t very usual.

 

“You two live in the same house now or something?” He shouts, though neither of them seem interested enough to stop. Instead Luhan just cranes his head back, a mischievous smirk plastered on his lips. “None of your business baby boy”

“Baby boy?!”

“Don’t worry Sehun-ah, Luhan’s just bugging me to do his dirty work”

“Dirty work? Hey? I’m feeling kind of left out here?”

The two don’t stop walking,  poor clueless Sehun is left there to wonder in the freezing cold

“Go home Sehun. It’s late.” 

 

The youngest watches the two backs disappear into the blurred lights and foggy breaths of winter evening. Mounting his bike, he shakes his head disapprovingly before pushing himself forward and letting his feet pedal him away.  He’ll worry about them later.  

 

Kyungsoo and Luhan walk silently side by side. The streets of hongdae buzz with people searching for all kinds of gifts, though Kyungsoo’s mind is too clouded to notice. He barely listens to a thing Luhan begins chattering on about until they finally reach the deer boy’s residence, a cosy looking townhouse around the quieter corner of the city, Christmas lights already twinkling brightly by the front windows. It’s not the first time the younger boy’s been here, in fact, he’s been here so often he knows exactly where Luhan places his keys, even if the latter sometimes forgets it himself. “Under the flower pot” he knowingly mumbles as he watches the other frantically search. “Oh. Right. Thanks.”

 

The door swings open and Kyungsoo is grateful to be greeted by the warmth. Briefly he stomps the snow off his sneakers before enetring and welcoming the sight of Luhan crouching over what seems to be a Golden Retriever, stretched out on the floor unmoving. He takes off his jacket and calmly approaches the older boy’s side. A moment passes by in silence, neither of them speak, Luhan simply the fur of the motionless dog with something in between sadness and desperation lingering in his eyes. Observing the way the canine is sprawled limply on the floor without any signs of breathing, it’s quite obvious that it’s dead. It’s okay boy. You’re okay. Kyungsoo thinks he hears Luhan whisper.

 

“…So will you do it?” Doe eyes are met with large round ones.

“…Do you really want me to?”  

           

Luhan hesitates for a moment, eyeing his lost friend one last time, his next few words coming out as a mere whisper. “He was my best friend since elementary.”

 

Kyungsoo sighs. “Okay.”

 

 

***

 

 

It takes Kyungsoo five minutes to realize that the absurdly loud screaming going on in his head is nothing more than ringing of his alarm clock. 6:00am it reads. It takes Kyungsoo another 5 minutes to realize that it’s a Sunday and that he doesn’t really need to be up that early. He groans, kicking the pillow that managed to scatter it’s way to his feet off the bed, flinging his arms over the desk and blindly smashing the loud contraption off.  Later. He all but mumbles.

 

The silence that follows after is satisfying, however brief. A few minutes later the sudden sound of his phone ringing at its full volume jolts him awake, making him sit up and pry his one eye open while tripping over the edge of his bed and trying his best to stagger over to the desk by the other side of the room. “.” He mumbles as his phone slips out of his grasp a few times over, though as soon as he manages to get a glimpse of the caller ID, his nerves relax and he easily presses the answer button.

 

“It’s six am Luhan Hyung. And it’s a Sunday.” His voice comes out slurred and sleepy, probably on purpose, because Kyungsoo likes letting people know that he is not a fan of early morning wake up calls.

             

“Goodmorning Kyungie! I just wanted to call and say thanks for last night, I really owe you one.” On the other end of the line Luhan’s voice is bright and pleasant, so much so that Kyungsoo could practically see him grinning through the phone. The older boy’s obviously in a very good mood and somehow, knowing that he’s partly the reason behind it, Kyungsoo’s heart warms, making it hard for him to hold back his own smile. A few shuffles go on on the other end of the line and not too soon after the sound of a dog’s loud and playful barking could be picked up.

 

“How’s Han?”

“He’s great. Lively as ever. Aren’t you boy? I’m actually about to take him out on a walk.”

“Don’t get him into any accidents or really I’m going to screw you.”

“I won’t I won’t.”

“You owe that little girl in your neighbourhood a new dog.”

“I…I do don’t I? I’m selfish.”

“You’re not. It’s okay. Things come and Go.”

“Yeah I guess.”

 

 

You’re probably lost right now. You see, there are a few details that we missed to point out in Kyungsoo’s introduction. Let’s try and put some sense into things why don’t we.

In case you’ve been wondering, the dog with Luhan is indeed the same Golden Retriever that had lain dead on the floor of the boy’s residence just one night before. And yes, it’s now very much alive and breathing, healthy even. How? This is where Kyungsoo comes into the Picture.

Do Kyungsoo is…he’s special in a way. Appearance-wise, he’s not much to spare a glance at. Shorter than average height, clean-cut reddish hair, full plump lips and big round eyes. You wouldn’t expect him to be anything extraordinary. But the thing is, well, he is extraordinary. Something he learned at a mere age of 5 when his pet goldfish sprang right back to life after he had poked it’s cold dead floating body.

Kyungsoo has this strange ability to reanimate the dead with a single touch. Be it a dead flower, or a dead fish, or in this case a dead dog. But of course it doesn’t mean that when he touches a plate of fried chicken or steamed fish they’d just start flapping their wings and batting their fins again, not to that extent. You might say he has the power of a god, true, however a god’s ability has no stipulations, and Kyungsoo’s does. Throughout his childhood he had quickly learned that if something is revived, a similar “life value” in the vicinity drops dead, as a form of balance. That and if he touches a person or thing one more time around, it dies again, this time permanently.

 

Let’s connect the dots.

Yesterday Luhan’s dog (Han? Very creative of him) died in the morning. Yesterday he had begged for Kyungsoo to simply revive him. Yesterday a little girl ran out of her house wailing and crying and screaming because her beloved pet dog had just all of a suddenly dropped dead.

 

Makes sense?

 

“Anyway, Sorry for disturbing your sleep.”

“It’s okay, I was….about to get up anyway” Not.

“Well have a nice Sunday Kyungsoo. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See you.”

“Let’s go boy-“ Toot. Toot. Toot.

 

The call has been cut.

 

Kyungsoo glances at the clock, 6:30am it reads. He groans, dragging his feet to the shower to have an unexpectedly early start to his day. He passes by the windowsill where the sun’s rays bathe his room in an orange glow, welcoming the new day that is to come. The Mum flowers are arranged creatively in a small pot blooming bright and beautiful, with no signs of withering at all. He fixes his schedule in his head.

The minute he steps out onto his porch the sun is now hidden behind a cluster of clouds, his surroundings still covered in a thin layer of snow. Locking his door, he quickly tugs his red scarf up his nose and lifts his hood above his head before skidding down the sidewalk with his hands in his pockets. Since he’s pretty much free for the rest of the day he decides that it’s best to finish all the errands he’s had pending for a whole week because of work. Laundry, Groceries, House cleaning, and stuff like that.

 

Goodmorning shoppers! Start your morning with the new fitness cereal in town! It’s high on fiber and-

           

Kyungsoo tries to ignore the annoying overly enthusiastic voice that echoed throughout the whole grocery as he entered, pulling down his scarf and hood as he picked up a basket and made his way to the 3rd aisle. He tries to avoid the poultry section as much as possible, although it’s never happened before, he’s still slightly afraid that his ability would somehow randomly escalate a few levels up to the point that even butchered meat would suddenly reanimate itself. You never know?

When Kyungsoo goes grocery shopping, he’s a whole different person. If while waiting for a train he has this sort of eagle eye thingy going on where he sees everything and anything that’s happening around him, in a grocery it’s pretty much just him and the items. He pays absolutely no attention to the steady flow of people who come in or to the children who run past or to the mothers who stroll their carts leisurely while eyeing each product.

In his mind he mentally wages war with himself as he decides whether to buy a bag of sour cream flavoured chips or original ones. Too preoccupied weighing his options he fails to notice the young man standing right behind him. That is, until he hears a low and deep hum.

 

“Sour cream. I like that better.”

 

He doesn’t jump or squeak to show that he’s surprised, but he does blink a few more times than necessary once he calmly lifts his head and turns around to stare at the stranger with wide and curious eyes.

 

“Hi. I don’t suppose you remember me?”

 

The stranger smiles and suddenly Kyungsoo couldn’t find the right words to say.

He tries to recall if there was ever a time he came across this tall boy with caramel skin and tussled blonde hair under a black baseball cap. Red raglan shirt over worn out jeans and sneakers. But somehow he finds it hard to scan his memory when those two dark brown orbs are staring down at him along with that pearly white smile.

 

“Uhm…..sorry?”

“Oh..ahah, of course you wouldn’t. I think, it’s just, I’m not so sure myself but, I’ve seen you at the train station? Perhaps?”

 

Kyungsoo blinks, his eyes only growing wider as he ponders. The stranger shifts uncomfortably in his place, probably realizing that this wasn’t his best idea.

 

“Hongdae. You were about to board the train and I ran past you. I might have pushed you aside in a rush, sorry about that.”

“….Ah!” He gasps, The right memory finally kicking into his senses. “I remember!”

“Yeah? It’s funny to run into you here again.”

           

Why are you talking to me? Kyungsoo wants to ask, but that’s rather impolite so he settles with an awkward smile & nod combo. The boy swings back and forth on his heels shyly rubbing his hands over his jeans letting silence thicken the already tense atmosphere.

“I’m Jongin.” He blurts in a sad attempt to break the awkwardness, reaching his hand out for a friendly introduction. Kyungsoo reluctantly accepts the offer and slides his hand into the grasp of the other. “Kyungsoo.”

“Kyungsoo. That’s a nice name. Do you go to the station often?”

“I’m there every morning except Sundays.”

“You take the 7 am train.”

“7:30 am actually.”

“And then you get off Hongdae am I right?”

“Yes. You’re creeping me out”

“Why?”

“…”

“O-Oh i-it’s not like I follow you or anything it’s just- I mean- You come to the train station often and I always ran into you on my way in and I just thought you noticed me as much as I noticed you but you probably didn’t since well you wouldn’t be wondering right now and well I’m sorry I sound like a stalker don’t I, I swear I’m not I just-

 

Why are you laughing?”

 

And Indeed, Kyungsoo is laughing.

The boy was quite amusing. His senseless chatter was adorable in a way and Kyungsoo couldn’t help but feel like he actually did notice him a few times before at the station, although maybe subconsciously. He just didn’t expect anyone to approach him like this, much less in a grocery store. The idea of it let a bubble of laughter escape his lips to which Jongin could only scowl back at.

 

“Very funny.”

“It is.”

“Are you done?”

 “Not quite.”

“Nice meeting you.”

“Wait where are you going?”

“Where making friends isn’t a crime” Kyungsoo watches with a smile still lingering on his lips as Jongin’s back retreats  down the asile, unconsciously he follows, trotting on his tiny legs trying to keep up with the other’s big strides.

“Don’t stalk me.” Jongin calls out not sparing a glance behind him, Kyungsoo’s grin only grows wider.

“I don’t suppose you know the bakeshop around the first intersection outside the hongae train station?”

 “What about it.”

“I make the cakes there. You could stop by if you want. It’s open till 7 in the evening on weekdays and till 6 on Saturdays.” The taller boy stops on his tracks and turns around.

“You make the cakes there?”

 “Do I have to repeat myself?”

“No it’s just, they’re very beautiful.”

“Oh.” Kyungsoo’s not sure but he thinks he feels his cheeks flush a darker shade of pink though he really wishes it wasn’t so. “thank you.”

           

“You’re welcome.” Jongin grins, all signs of annoyance from the earlier incident disappearing completely. Once again, Kyungsoo is at a loss for words. But this time the other doesn’t seem to expect a response, instead he turns his head to the side and examines the items on the aisle they were currently in. His grin grows wider when he reaches out and grabs a jar of Nutella just a few feet away from them.

“found it.” Is all he says as he lifts it up to show the smaller boy. “I’ll be seeing you then. The bakeshop right?” Before Kyungsoo could even reply, Jongin brushes past him, waving a hand in the air as he makes his way to the counter out front, leaving him bewildered.

           

What a strange day.

 

For about another hour or so Kyungsoo goes on with his grocery shopping, buying all the essentials he needs for both his home and the bakeshop. (plus a few of Luhan’s requests). He heads to the counter and pays, before stepping out once more into the cold afternoon. He inhales deeply, taking his sweet time walking and choosing to head the long way home, which is through a park filled with leafless trees and dry grass thinly covered with snow. Absentmindedly, he runs his hand through the dead flower bushes and with each step he takes, leaves spring out fresh and green along with the bloom of vibrant red roses.

 

 

***

 

 

The rest of the day goes as it usually does, a run through of errands, some quiet time alone at home, phone calls with Luhan and Sehun. It would all seem very normal if it weren’t for the thoughts going on inside his head the entire time. Which pretty much looked like this:

 

Ok next is laundry. Will jongin visit tomorrow? Probably not. Wait I forgot to buy Luhan’s dog food. Jongin’s kinda good looking. I think I’m going to buy a new book. Where does Jongin go every morning anyway? I should stop by Sehun’s sometime soon. I wonder if Jongin’s ever bought from the bakery. Does Jongin like nutella that much? Jongin’s nice. Jongin. Jongin. Jongin. Jongin.

 

Kyungsoo isn’t the type to think much about someone unless he finds the person interesting. That night he lay on his bed staring at the ceiling while his mind clouded with more thoughts of the stranger at the train station who calls himself Jongin. He wondered what he was like, wondered what his friends were like, what he did for a living, what he would think of him, of his abnormality. The chain of ‘I wonder’s went on until his eyes felt tired and his grip on consciousness slowly let loose.

 

Crush /informal definition/ noun: a brief but intense infatuation for someone, esp. someone unattainable

 

 You could say Do Kyungsoo harbours a crush. 

 


A/N: er sorry for grammatical errors? Anyway if you dont understand kyungsoo's ability it's like, he touches something dead and it comes back to life, and he touches it again and it dies. for good.