Permission

Pushing Daisies

Legend has it that for each person, the gods tie a red cord around the ankles of those that are to meet one another in a certain situation or help each other in a certain way. Kyungsoo likes to believe that his red string of destiny is linked to Jongin’s, that all those years he’s spent alone and distant from the world lead him to this moment, where he sits comfortably across the said person who is laughing and smiling so beautifully.

But then Kyungsoo traces this red string and he realizes that he’s not the only one tied to it. It’s tangled, tied in knots and twists with another string, and it frustrates him because now he cannot perceive who is truly the one connected to Jongin. Is it him, or is it Krystal, carrier of the red string which is old, yet still firmly attatched to her bestfriend?

No one seems to sense the tension in the air between the two rivals, everyone busy in their own little world of chatter. Only Jongin and Junmyeon seemed to have been able to stay long that afternoon at the bakery, the rest left off to their own busy schedules. Krystal smiles and laughs along politely to the tanned boy’s stories, Kyungsoo on the other hand, isn’t very good at pretending.

 

 “Hey, you’ve been really quiet since we came, is everything okay?” Junmyeon asks, catching Jongin’s attention. He stops to turn to the smaller boy with a concerned expression.

 “O-oh yeah I’m fine I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” The tanned boy speaks up “I mean- we’re not being a bother to you or to your work or anything are we?”

"Of course not! I’m free, it’s okay. I’ll help out when Luhan and Sehun come back in a while.” Kyungsoo swallows, his gaze meeting with Krystal’s for a split second, before he turns back to his other two guests. Jongin doesn’t miss that split second, eyes flickering to his bestfriend momentarily.

“Oh…then, we didn’t, interrupt anything did we?”

“No.” Krystal answers, eyes set on Kyungsoo as she smiles. “Not at all.”

“O…kay…” Jongin finishes awkwardly, trying not to let any funny assumptions of their meeting get to his head. Instead he fishes for new topic, something he’s been meaning to bring up anyway.

“Uh, So Kyungsoo,”

“Hm?”

“Do you like music?”

“What?”

“You heard me.”

“…Well yeah, I do, I like it a lot.”

“Do you like dancing?”

“I guess so…But I’m not very good at it. I mean- not like you guys. Since you’re dancers and all. Why?”

“Well, you see, there’s this concert happening somewhere at the edge of town,”

“The…New Year concert isn’t it? Seungsoo attends that from time to time. Alright, what about it?”

“I was just wondering, since, I kind of have a few extra tickets…If, you didn’t have anything planned…”

“Jongin- Are you asking me out?”

“Weeelll, I wouldn’t put it that way Buuuuut Yes. Yes, Definitely.” Jongin smirks, Kyungsoo could only blush lightly, Krystal on the other hand, did not seem to like their exchange of shy glances.

“It’s a group thing.” She butts in matter-of-factly “We go every year you know. It always pushes through, even on those days when not most of us can come. One time, it was down to only Jong and me. He really likes the bands that play, I personally think they’re kind of corny.”

“Hey! They make good music okay!”

“Corny.”

"Shut up doll face you like nothing but boring classical .”

“Excuse me, I am a ballerina, it comes naturally.”

“Men like their women wild sorry.”

“You’re gross.”

“I never said I was talking about that kind of wild.”

 “You’re gross!”

           

The two of them laugh together upon the old memories that come rushing to them, memories which Kyungsoo knows nothing of. He doesn’t miss the challenging look Krystal throws to him every once in a while and suddenly he feels slightly ticked off. Whatever sweet image he had of the woman days ago now slowly crumbled to reveal a fierce, spoiled little princess who would do anything to get what she wants.

That or he’s just being a big green eyed monster.

 

“I’m coming this year though, the more the merrier.” Junmyeon interrupts. Kyungsoo thinks he likes him already.

“You’re not the problem, Taemin misses so much exams he’s even booked holidays for make-up tests. Even the professors hate him for that.”

“He’s been doing pretty well recently though I think he wants to come this time.”

“Not sure if I should be happy or terrified…”

“I’ll be terrified if he brings his boyfriend along. Too mushy.”

"I am not watching them eat each other’s face, Anyway! Are you in Kyungsoo?”

There’s a moment of silence that hangs between them, Jongin and Junmyeon smiling expectantly at the smaller boy, while Krystal gives him a look that he reads as This would have been the perfect set-up for a date if you didn’t have pop into the picture. Kyungsoo tries not to let it get to him. “I’ll go.” He smiles.

“Alright!” Jongin cheers, sharing a gleeful high five with Junmyeon who looks just as pleased. Kyungsoo sips on his mug of coffee to avoid the piercing stare he knows Krystal is probably giving him at the moment.

The chime of the shop doors has him sighing in relief however, Luhan and Sehun barging in and saving him from suffering another minute under Krystal’s judging eyes.

“And we, are, done! Oh God there’s this whiny old hag who kept insisting that she made two orders when I clearly have it written down that she only made one, really I nearly strangled her! If I heard another word-“

“Lu hyung.” Sehun tries to interrupt, noticing the set of visitors seated by the window. He nods at them in greeting, and gives an apologetic shrug for his companion who continued to ramble about nonsense, back turned to them.

“-Kyungsoo I swear you should try doing delivery once I mean you’re always behind counter its not fair-“

 “Lu ge.”

“I feel your pain now Sehuni Like I really appreciate your works it is no joke- I- Hey- Ow!”

Finally losing his patience, the youngest rolls his eyes before pinching Luhan by the arm a little harder than necessary.

“What was that for?!”

"Stop talking!”

“Why I think I should be allowed to talk all I want! Right Kyu- oh.

The eldest’s face flushes a lighter shade of pink once he finally turns to find company. He smiles sheepishly when the rest let out a series of chuckles. “S-sorry. I didn’t know we weren’t alone, I can get pretty talkative.”

Pretty talkative?? Wow, understatement of the century.”

 “Shut up baby face.”

“You’re one to talk.”

“ugh.” Kyungsoo leans his head in his hands, trying his best to shield away from the two. “I don’t know them.”

“I think they’re fun to have around.” Jongin comments. “Maybe they’d like to come to the concert too. Like Junmyeon says, the more the merrier.”

Underneath the table Kyungsoo feels the tanned boy’s feet nudge his own playfully, he eyes him sternly but it only pushes Jongin to continue, and soon enough Kyungsoo couldn’t hide the laugh that bubbles up inside of him. Krystal’s eyes flicker towards him and he instantly tries to pull a straight face.

           

With Luhan and Sehun joining in their mini gathering, the afternoon goes by quickly as one filled with a mixture of smiles and teases and a few secret exchanges of stares, some jealous, others shy. It isn’t until a while later when customers begin to arrive that the trio excuse themselves, gradually growing busier. Junmyeon is the first to politely suggest that they get going so as not to be too much of a burden. Jongin and Krystal agree and with that they all stand, heading towards the counter.

As soon as Sehun sees them approaching he gives a knock on the kitchen door and right on cue it opens, Kyungsoo’s head popping out to see why he’s needed.

 

“Yeah?”

The youngest points to the group briefly, eyes locked on the log book he was currently filling.

“Are you guys leaving already?”

"Yes,” Junmyeon says. “Looks like the customers are gonna keep coming from this time on so we thought it’s best we get going.”

“Oh okay. I’m really sorry we couldn’t attend to you much.”

“It’s alright.”

“Don’t bother paying okay? We made a promise.”

“Are you sure?”

“Of course! Please accept.”

“Thank you, we really appreciate it.”

“You’re welcome.”

Kyungsoo flashes a heart shaped smile. He waves goodbye to Junmyeon, blushes at Jongin’s playful wink and even manages to nod at Krystal, who merely bows back politely. He doesn’t miss the words she mouth out silently through her lips once all have their backs turned.

It’s a challenge.

 

And then they’re gone out the streets once more, with the red head clinging extra tightly onto her bestfriend’s arm.

 

 

***

 

 

“Jongin? I thought you left already?”

The tanned boy forces his way into the kitchen where Kyungsoo works quietly on his pastries.

“Quick, open your gift!”

"B-but where are Junmyeon and Krystal-“

“I told them I went to pick something up at a nearby shop, now hurry open it before they find out I lied.”

Reluctantly, Kyungsoo sets down his batter and rushes to his bag, fishing out a gift wrapped (slightly) neatly in sad looking pieces of colored paper. He sets it down on the counter and eyes Jongin warily before tearing it open.

“Still not good with wraps I see.”

“Hey, at least it’s not yellow paper right?”

Kyungsoo is down to the last layer of paper when his eyes widen, hurriedly tearing it open upon recognizing the hand shaped garment. He breaks into a wide grin,

 

Leather gloves.

 

Kyungsoo looks up to say thank you but then he’s surprised to find Jongin already by the door, throwing him a playful salute. “That was so worth seeing by the way.” He smirks, before disappearing completely once more.

 

 

***

 

 

Some days, Kyungsoo forgets about his bizarre ability.

 

It just slips his mind most of the time, especially since he’s such an introvert, content with staying within the comfort and safety of his home, where there’s no need for him to constantly watch his actions. Seungsoo is mostly his opposite, an outgoing social butterfly who couldn’t last a day at home without whining about being bored.

The day Kyungsoo returned to school after his parent’s terrible accident was the day he decided to shut himself away from the world. All his friends noticed the significant changes in him, specifically how he would not want to be touched nor spoken to. He would often stay behind in the classroom and eat by himself, constantly feeling paranoid and insecure. His only confidant was his older brother, who filled in both the roles his mother and father had left behind.

Seungsoo’s done so much for him that he doesn’t even know how to begin to express the guilt he feels for keeping this little ability a secret all these years. He just couldn’t imagine how the other would react once he finds out that the reason behind their beloved parent’s death was because of the very person he’s trying to protect. He could handle the elementary school bullying, the high school name calling, but his own brother’s resentment? No can do. 

Kyungsoo’s mind clouds with thoughts like this as he watches Seungsoo cheer and shout at the ball game currently airing on their TV. He clears his throat.

 

“Uhm, Hyung?”

“yeah?”

“What are you doing-“

“ RUN FOR IT!- doing when?”

"What are you doing this upcoming New Year?”

“Huh…” He remains silent for a while, focused on the game. Kyungsoo almost thinks he forgets to reply. “New Year?…Uhh…NY con.”

“The concert?”

“Yup.”

“Oh.”

“Why? It’s you and me for new year’s eve though.”

“Uhm, Hyung?”

“3 points 3 points 3 points 3- YES! Steal steal!!”

“Hyung?”

“Eoh?”

“Can I come?”

“To the con?”

“Yeah.”

“Woah, well that’s a first. Sure, I’ll be with a couple of friends.”

“I might be with some friends too…”

“Luhan and Sehun?”

“Well yeah but-

“Who the hell is 07 quit passing and shoot!”

“-there’ll be more.“

“Who, Tao? He’s back already?? I thought he’s staying in Japan for the Holidays.”

“No, it’s not Tao.”

“More?”

“Yes. Uhm, a whole group more.”

           

A team scores another three points and they’re now down to the last 60 seconds of the game. But Seungsoo doesn’t notice this time because Kyungsoo’s last words pique his curiosity and garners his full attention.  “More?” He emphasizes, turning to face the other. Kyungsoo’s gaze is fixed on his lap, his fingers fiddling with the hem of his sweater.

 

“Y-yeah.”

“Do Kyungsoo have you been making friends?

“Don’t sound so surprised…”

“Are you kidding?? My little brother’s finally crawling out of his hermit shell!”

Kyungsoo groans, leaning back with a scowl. “Look I’m just asking for a ride okay?”

“Sure but when are you gonna tell me how you’ve managed to snag up a whole group of friends all of a sudden?”

“Someone approached me and he introduced me to them.”

“Someone?”

“His name is Jongin. He recognized me from the train station.”

“Remind me to thank this Jongin guy for dragging you out of your cave.”

“Hey I’ve made some friends before okay it’s just not many have stayed friends.”

“So then I guess we’ll both be there?” Seungsoo stands, picking up the empty cans of soda and making his way to the kitchen to dispose of them.

“Mhm.”

“Cool. Better.”

“Better?”

“I’ll make sure to keep an eye on these so called friends of yours.” He says, leaning on the counter and playfully squinting his eyes. “Make sure they ain’t messin with you.”

“They’re not…And it’s okay I can take care of myself.”

"Nonsense.” He walks back into the living room, plopping down on the sofa and placing his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “I am the mom-dad in this house my word is law.”

“Fine.”

“Really happy for you though.”

 

Kyungsoo turns to see his brother’s expression, however he seems to have returned to absorbing himself completely in the last 5 seconds of the game. The younger couldn’t help but smile and cover his ears at the gleeful explosion of shouts and cheers that comes along when the star player shoots a three pointer for the win.

That night he sits on his bed with the comforters up to his thighs, staring at the leather gloves that Jongin had given him. He smiles at the memory of their first night together, the butterflies in his stomach making him jump and fall back, kicking his feet in the air and biting his fist to surpass the scream that escapes his mouth.

He feels so alive, as though given a second chance to relive his teenage years the way he’s always wanted to. Free of insecurity and paranoia and filled with everything normal, like friends, crushes, concerts, dates and first loves. There’s this gush of familiar excitement that overcomes him, one which he hasn’t felt since the days he ran around in the playround happily, knowing his parents were nearby watching. The thought of having a rival doesn’t even occur to him as much of a bother at the moment, because even that makes him feel normal for once.

A while passes as he lays there, slowly drifting off to sleep with thoughts of fireworks and sparks, and in the morning he wakes up not knowing whether he had dreamt about sending a heart text to Jongin or whether he actually did.

 

 

***

 

 

“This is so ing unfair it’s a few days before new year and why the hell are we studying?”

“They’re called reading assignments now stop being so whiney and finish your homework.”

“Doesn’t your head hurt?”

“No.”

“You’re inhuman.”

“Noooo, you’re just lazy.”

“Meh, you’re probably right.” Jongin heaves himself up from his previous position of being sprawled on his bed, padding across the wooden floor towards the blue, poster clad door. “Want Coff? Tea? Red Bull? Vodka?”

Krystal looks up at him from where she sat cross-legged on the floor with an expression of disbelief. “Really?”

“Tea.” The tanned boy says with a chuck of his tongue and a playful thumbs up. “Got it.” He disappears out the door with a chuckle, the soft shuffling of his feet down the stairs growing fainter and fainter.

Krystal takes the moment to stretch, slowly leaning her back against the bed and letting her head lull backwards, watching the glow in the dark stars scattered across her bestfriend’s bedroom ceiling. She loved those stars. She remembers exactly how they got up there.

 

‘Can you reach it?’ Jongin had asked that day back when they were still mere elementary schoolers. Her two feet stood over his little shoulders as he held on to her ankles with all the strength he could muster up. ‘Can you reach it?’ He had asked again the second time over, attempting to peek at the girl who stood above him.

Hey ert don’t you dare look up.’ She had warned him while sticking the last star onto his ceiling. ‘Hurry up…my shoulders hurt! You know- ack- why didn’t we use a ladder?’  

'What do you need a ladder for when you’ve got a cheerleader as a bestfriend.’

'Easy for you to say.’

'Oh quit whining, I’m done! Look! No wait- don’t look let me go down first.’

‘Alright wait how exactly-‘

On the count of three, I’m going to jump off okay?’

'What?!’

'You have to catch me! Bridal style!’

'Krys no wait I don’t think-‘

'One’

'Hey! I’m inexperienced here!’

'Two’

'Oh Christ.’

           

“Three.”

           

She closes her eyes, remembering the way she had completely trusted in him that day. Like she said she would, she jumped off, smiling without a worry in the world because before she knew it strong arms had caught her and she opened her eyes to return a wide grin towards the look of plain fear on Jongin’s face.

It was the day she had realized Jongin was more than a bestfriend to her. The day she began picturing herself in the same situation a couple of years into the future, swept off her feet and carried in his arms with the stars high above them, preferably wearing veil and carrying a bouquet of flowers.

She’s momentarily pulled away from her trance however, the image fading away like ripples in a pond, when the sound of a vibrating phone somewhere close by wakes her senses. She sits up and finds Jongin’s phone left unattended on the bed where he had lain. Deciding that it could be something important, she picks it up and makes her way to the door, stopping midway once she reads the familiar name flashing on its screen.

 

<3

- Kyungsoo

 

Her hands tremble, and suddenly it doesn’t feel so necessary to let him know. She stands there in silence, staring at the phone in her hand, not understanding why she feels so scared of a meagre heart. She swipes on the unlock button and watches the little vertical line blink repeatedly, waiting for a reply to be typed in. Slowly, her hands move to their own accord.

 

Delete message?

>Ok    

>Cancel

 

The sound footsteps jogging up the stairs give her no time to think, her finger hovering over the ‘ok’ button as she taps it repeatedly with force before locking it once more and throwing it back on the bed. Jongin enters the room just then, 2 cans of soda at hand along with a bag of marshmallows. He eyes her warily the moment he comes in to find her awkwardly standing by his bed. “Hey.” He comments as he closes the door behind him. “Done already?”

“No…No I’m just uh, I was just gonna see what took you so long. Whatever happened to coffee tea redbull and vodka huh?” She laughs, quickly finding a way to evade the situation.

“Oh we had none of that so I thought you’d like coke.”

“Gee thanks”

“Everyone likes coke.” The tanned boy shrugs, throwing her a can before they both take a seat on the floor next to each other.

“Can we just, not do this whole reading because I’m really sleepy.”

“Oh yeah? Is that why you brought a bag of marshmallows up here so we could sleep on them?”

“Smart girl.” Jongin pops a marshmallow into his mouth, Krystal watches the stars.

“Still that boy who wishes upon his stars?” She asks, voice soft. He looks at her and traces her gaze up to his ceiling.

"Guess so. Only when I’m desperate.”

“So what have you been wishing for recently.”

"Hm…I don’t know….just for everyone to be happy in general.”

“That’s it?”

“Also…for our new addition of friends to be permanent.”

“Permanent?”

“yeah, you know, for life.” He smiles to himself, and she somehow gets the feeling he wishes it stronger towards one person more than the rest. The image of her wedding-under-the-stars suddenly flashes in her mind and she wonders if she could make a wish too, if she could wish for a lifetime with him as well.

“What about your old friends huh?!”

He looks at her and laughs. “Of course we’re permanent. I think I’m stuck with you for life whether I like it or not.”

“…Do you?”

“Do I what?”

“Do you like being stuck with me?”

"Jung Soojung!” His laughs get louder, soon he’s out of breath and clutching his stomach and all Krystal could do is pout at him. “What kind of question is that??”

“One you aren’t answering.”

 “Okay okay, take a good look at me and tell me, tell me if I look like someone who would stick around people I don’t like.”

“Well you do have that ‘ it’ attitude..”

“I’m gonna pretend I’m not offended.” Jongin chuckles

“Do you like me Kim Jongin.”

“I love you silly.” He answers lazily, flipping through the pages of his book not realizing the weight that his own words bear on Krystal’s feelings. She watches him continue his reading, watches him stuff his face with marshmallows and drown in coke, watches how his attention is no longer on her, and its enough to let her know that he doesn’t mean it the way she wants him to.

So she laughs it off instead, she grabs her phone and types in a text which later causes the tanned boy’s phone to vibrate. Going back to her books, she ignores his comments of “you’re so cheesy tonight, its gross” and tries not to entertain the guilty feeling she has bubbling up inside of her.

 

<3

-Krys

 

 


A/N: UH- So yeah this chapter has kind of a kaistal feel to it by the end. And can i just say when i was imagining the scene where krystal and kai were kids stickin glow in the dark stars on the ceiling, it was just so...cinematic in my mind (does that make sense). I mean i imagined it so nicely in my head where krystal narrates while there's a nice flashback of the scene and it goes all slow motion when she jumps off and he catches her.....KAY MOVING ON UUHHH so there aint much happening in this chapter but i'm just trying to build it up for the next /winkwonk. The next is going to be kind of eventful i guess and i'm gonna start workin on it asap i promise sobs. i havent been really motivated much in this chapter and i dont know if it reflects so i apologize in advance. Anyway hope you like it somehow~! PS i love it when u comment guys i just luv u hart hart <3 thanks for reading my bull #bricked