o22

Butterfly Effect

chapter twenty two ; 
               angel

It's nearing three days for Hakyeon.

Three days without sleep, proper meals or even proper intake of water. He's too busy scanning those books once left unmoved in those dusty cabinets. He barely attendd work neither nor had he done the paper works sent to him by a work-mate living just a few blocks away from his residence. To be honest, being the nephew of the head CEO of their company sent suspicions that Hakyeon had finally given up on his role in the business. He's disappointed a few, worried a few and the remaining people, well, those were the ones who "gave no ". They weren't close to him anyway.

But if there was anyone most worried for Hakyeon was the head CEO alone. His nephew was no where to be found, has been skipping work and based on the rumors, worried for his health. He's still his nephew. A family. He's somewhat like his second father already. And fathers always worried for their sons.

But those were all useless. Hakyeon was too clouded by the fact that he needs to help Leo and Jinae. He needs to find a cure to Jinae's nearly incurable cancer. He's looking for something that might or might not exist in the earthly realm.

Miracles.

Not an earthly treasure. Not something solid. Who knows if it even solid? He's clueless where to find it. There were no leading clues. All he has are dusty old books written in various languages and this jade-green ring he found in the treasure which Leo had buried centuries ago. Those were the only things in his hand right now.

But did that make Hakyeon's will waver? No.

He constantly reminded himself.

"This is for Leo."

"Don't think about Jinae. This is for Leo."

"I'm tired."

"But you love him, don't you?"

"There's no chances whether my feelings would be appreciated. Much more returned. Wake up, Cha Hakyeon."

"You love him, that's what it is. You love Leo. Do this for him and not for Jinae."

He lost to his self and his feelings for Leo overlapped his own mind. He needed to do this because it's for Leo. He can't exactly pin-point whether it's jealousy overtaking him or the pure love he has towards his best friend. Jealousy over the sick Jinae or love towards Leo? He never knew.

And will never do.

"This is useless." he sighs as he buried his head in his arms, sighing deeply. "Where is the darn answer? Just... show up. Please. I'm running out of time."

He imagined a happy future as he closed his eyes. Leo's happy face, smiling and thanking him for helping him. His arms pulling him for a tight hug. His sweet scent of strawberries and vanilla. His warm touch. And maybe, just maybe, he can kiss his forehead. Just in the forehead.

And there, Hakyeon can admit his feelings. He can confess his love to Leo and not expect any reply. As long as they stay friends and Leo accepts it, he's happy.

He never needs to be the damsel anyway. He can always be that trusty side-kick watching over the hero's back. He can always be that.

He's always been that.

He never had a prince charming.

He was never a damsel in distress.

He was just plain Cha Hakyeon.

Hakyeon fluttered his eyes open once more and noticed that only a minute had passed. Sleep was taking over but he had to remain strong. He raised his body up and flipped the pages here and then.

"Treasure... the ring isn't the key." he mumbled to himself as he eyed the jade-green ring. He adored it. It was the perfect engagement ring. A day ago, out of curiosity, he tried it on. He knew he shouldn't have, but he was curious. He slid it in his ring finger and what a surprise.

It fit perfectly. It nested in his ring finger neatly.

He smiled. It matched him.

And much more, green is one of his favorite colors. And jade is his favorite jewel. What a coincidence, isn't it?

But one thing intriguied him. Why would a ring– designated for a female– fit perfectly on a guy's ring finger. He's a guy, who might be a bit feminine, but this is a female's ring! Why would it fit him? He wondered.

Then, a few words seemingly highlighted itself to Hakyeon. Rubbing the fatigue and sleepiness off his eyes, Hakyeon read the texts scribbled in English. It was old English but he perfectly understood it. No problem in reading it. He slowly made it to the end and when he did, a sweet smile of success envaded his face. 

"Bingo." he grinned as he stood up, clutching the book close to his chest. 

Oh, he can't wait to tell Leo.

 

 

Leo was agonized.

Three days had passed and no signs of Hakyeon. He thought that Hakyeon still might be wandering here and there looking for clues. Like a lost boy trapped in the darkness, feeling his way out. That was Hakyeon's situation, surely. But that wasn't even half of what's agonizing him. The absence of his best friend isn't exactly half of his pain and worries.

He watched Jinae's face contorted into an expression of pain once again. It's been days that she's been flashing that one emotion over and over again. He frowned and held Jinae's hand tightly whenever she dug her nails into his hand. He knew that she's in great pain, more since Jinae's cancer is envading her whole body.

It's running through her veins and infecting every single organ in her. It was painful.

He might not have cancer, but maybe, he had some ideas on how hard to suffer from it. And how he wished to just snatch the disease away from his beloved and let himself suffer instead.

"Jinae..." he helplessly called out as he onticed Jinae's eyes slowly fluttering close. "Jinae, please, just a bit more, okay? You'll be fine, soon. Just keep on fighting."

"Leo..." she breathed out weakly. "I... I don't want to d-die." she nearly sobbed out.

"You won't die and I won't let you die." he assured as he clasped her hand. "You'll live. We'll have a happy ending like what was destined for us, okay?"

"A-afraid," she sobbed. "I'm afraid, Leo. I'm really, really scared. W-what if I suddenly die? What if... the time I close my eyes, my life slips away? I don't want to die yet, Leo. Not yet. There's so much to have and experience in my life. Please, please tell me I won't die."

"Again, you're not going to die." Leo smiled sadly as he planted a kiss on her temple. "You're not going to die. I'm not letting you die. Everyone's praying for a miracle to be fallen on you. Hongbin, Sanghyuk, Ravi and even Hakyeon. Me too. Everyone's praying for a miracle."

"H-Hakyeon's praying for a miracle of me living too?" Jinae asked in a weak tone. "W-why? I've done so much cruel things to him. I hurt his best friend and stole you awa–"

"You stole nothing." Leo interrupted. "You didn't steal anything. Hakyeon... just got a bit upset over you because, well, he was originally against of the fact of 'us' even existing. He bargained that once you're hurt by a person, you are not supposed to accept him or her again." 

"And the bad guy in that story was me at that time, right?" Jinae sadly smiled, just to be answered by a sad nod. "It's okay. But sometimes, the antagonist can also be a good guy as the story goes on."

"I know that." Leo remarked.

Hours flew and soon enough, the pain subsided in Jinae's body. Leo relaxed a bit and walked around, outside the hospital grounds.

It was dusk. The sun had set and the sky was slowly getting darker. Slowly, getting dotted by millions of twinkling stars. It was wonderful and it usually lightened Leo's feelings but this time, the worry of Jinae's condition didn't subside even if he stared at the starry sky there was in front of him. It was just too much to take. It can't just go away like that.

He sat on a bench and closed his eyes.

He prayed.

"Please save my beloved." he softly mumbled before he closed his eyes.

 

 

 

Leo was awakened by this odd coldness around him. The wind was seemingly colder than normal, and it wasn't even winter yet. Yes, it's fall but it wasn't that cold for the wind to blow that way. He knew that it was supposed to be cold.

But not this cold.

He slowly fluttered his eyes open and he was surprised at the sight behold.

Jinae was outside the hospital, strolling as if her body isn't even weak. She strolled around, admiring the night flowers blooming under the moon and stars. Her black hair flowed weightlessly with the night breeze but her face wasn't exactly seen. A few of her hair strands was covering her fair face. But Leo didn't need to see her fair face to know that it was Jinae.

Nor did he need seconds to panic and worry on why Jinae was let to stroll outside her hospital room! She's obviously weak and couldn't even lift a finger, then how could she stand up and stroll as if cancer isn't invading her body bit by bit?

"Jinae–" he called out but was immediately cut off.

Jinae wears hospital gowns.

This lady was wearing a hanbok.

A colorful one.

He felt a lump stuck in his throat as he felt chills run up and down his spine. What sane person would wear Korean traditional clothings out of no where in the middle of Seoul in fall? Definitely no one, except those who are quite testing their sense of humor. But this fair-looking lady doesn't seem to be like those kind of people. 

Then, it hit him, though he wanted to find out how it was possible.

With that name ready to roll of his tongue, he called out in a shaky matter.

"Minhwa?" 

The lady turned around.

A smile was patched on her face as she eyed Leo. She grinned wider as she faced the male, her eyes glimmering as she eyed him. Those life-filled eyes. Those ebony-black orbs staring back at him. Those eyes as black as the starry night above them. He'll never miss those eyes. He loved them the most. They were so... innocent. Gentle-looking. Somewhat like that of a doe's. He felt more chills run up and down his spine as the lady replied.

"Hello, Taekwoon." she smiled.

Leo nearly teared up as he watched the figure walk towards him, her eyes locked on his and the smile never leaving her face. She grinned wider as she scanned him. "You haven't changed, love. Still the strong-looking soldier who stood by my side every second of my earthly life. Why the absence of that lovely smile? It always attracted me." she pouted.

Leo was speechless. He didn't know what to say until he closed his eyes, inhaled deeply before he gathered the courage to ask. "H-how are you here? You're dead." he retorted, somewhat sounding cold. Minhwa frowned at the way her lover sounded but decided not to falter. She placed back her smile and giggled sweetly. It lured Leo. He missed that giggle. He wanted to tear up and to be frank, he felt tears rim up around his lids.

"Ah, in fact I am. My body no longer roams this realm." Minhwa nodded, smiling at him. Still smiling at him lovingly. "But thankfully, the angels there in heaven granted my spirit access to come down and have contact with you."

Leo wanted to shout his undying gratitude to whoever allowed his beloved descend back in earth. She was there, somewhat radiating a "spirit-like" aura but it didn't matter. She was more than alive in his eyes. He knew he couldn't actually make physical contact with her, with that fact that she is nothing more but a spirit. No body. Nothing to hold on to. He just had to hold back. "W-why? What made you... descend down here? What's the reason, Minhwa?"

There, the smile slowly fell from Minhwa's face.

She parted her small lips to let words fall out. "Taekwoon, my beloved Taekwoon, I don't have much time." she frowned. "I'd love to spend more time with you here. Catching up with the years we lost."

"Why? Are you leaving so soon?"

"Yes. Unfotunately, this is a temporary contact. But hear me out, I bear news."

"What news?" he blinked.

Minhwa frowned more as she tried to hold Leo's hand, but alas, her hands only went through. Still, she pretended that she could hold his. Leo felt coldness embrace his hands, and maybe, that was the caused by the fact that Minhwa's spirit was holding him. They say no matter how warm a person is when they were alive, their spirit still remains cold. They still radiate this icy cold aura wherever they are. "Taekwoon... you must protect me. Protect me once more."

"Am I not?" Leo frowned, tilting his head.

"It is not enough, my beloved Taekwoon." Minhwa continued. "You see, my beloved, my life is at danger. My current life is in danger. My sweet, sweet life. My beloved reincarnation. My reincarnated self is in danger."

One person popped in his head.

Jinae. Seo Jinae.

"W-why? What'll happen?" Leo asked, his voice faltering.

"My reincarnated self is in danger, Taekwoon. Don't... let my life slip away again. Don't let us get separated once more." Minhwa was literally begging as she tried to clasp Leo's hands. She was afraid. Like Jinae is. "Please, Leo. Save me. Save me, Leo. I'm in danger."

And with that, with one blink of an eye, Minhwa's spirit was no where to be found. 

He panicked.

"I'm in danger, Taekwoon. Help me. Save me."

He ran back to the hospital grounds. He had to get back at Jinae's room.

But as if fate was playing around, he saw Jinae's body being exited from her room. She was being ran to the Emergency Room. She was shaking vigorously. "What's happening?!" Leo cried out in terror as he grabbed one of the nurses forcefully by the shoulder. "What's going on with her? What's happening?"

"Miss Seo's condition is critical, sir. Her cancer is taking over. We must try and save her life." the nurse stated out.

"Please do! Do anything you need to!" Leo cried out as he collapsed on a nearby chair, watching Jinae's body vanish in the E.R's doors. He was in the verge of tears.

Hakyeon.

He needed Hakyeon.

Just as when he was about to dial the phone number, he saw Hakyeon's name on the screen. He was calling.

"Leo!"

"Hakyeon! Hakyeon, come quick! Jinae... Jinae's life is at stake!"

"Leo, calm–"

"Minhwa... she appeared to me just a minute ago. She stated..." he was now crying, tears rolling down his cheeks uncontrollably. "Her reincarnated self is at danger. Hakyeon, Jinae's in danger. Her life... her life's slipping away."

"Minhwa what–?!" Hakyeon excalimed before he coughed and excused himself. "Wait, wait, listen to me first. Don't panic, I've got the solution."

Leo felt time freeze.

"I got the solution, Leo! I've got it." Hakyeon exclaimed in joy despite panting. He was probably running towards the hospital. "Immortality's kiss."

"What?"

"You two share mutual feelings, right? Immortality's kiss is this ancient spell made by immortals to grant humans immortality. It often occured when an immortal loved a human. Fearing the human's up-coming death, they cast the immortality's kiss spell, which grants the mortal immortality. It's a one person effect and a one time effect though

, Leo, It that can work with you and Jinae!"

"I am no magic-caster, Hakyeon." he hissed softly, careful not to let anyone hear. They might think he's crazy and focefully turn him to an asylum nearby. "Hakyeon, that would be impossible to do–"

"Hold up, okay? The magic was accidentally spread throughout the world. Even non-magic users are capable of unlocking and activating the spell. As long as it's done by an immortal to a mortal."

"... And what's the twist?"

"Mutual feelings. That's a piece of cake. You love Jinae, Jinae loves you." Hakyeon actually dreaded to say that. "It can work!"

"I've kissed her numerous times, Hakyeon." Leo reminded. "And no magic sparked. No angel's singing voice was heard. No spotlight. No nothing. No magic."

"Because Jinae doubted you that time! The feeling had doubts, but this time, it's all true, right?" Hakyeon asks. "Oh, and don't forget, you've got to do it before the clock ticks ten."

Leo hurriedly checked his wristwatch. Nine-fifty. Ten minuets. "Why? What'll happen if–"

"The book stated that the last caster of such spell cursed it. Anyone who doesn't activate the spell before ten in the evening strikes fails. There'll be zero effect."

Leo gulped. "Hakyeon," he mumbled. "You have no idea on how thankful I am to you now. I promise, once we see each other, I'll express my thanks pronto."

"You don't have to." Hakyeon smiled. "That's what friends are for, right?"

 

 

Leo barged in the room without any hesitation.

Doctors tried to hold him back and the nurses tried to control Jinae from moving. She was in so much pain already but she was trying to reach out of Leo. "Let me in! Let me in and let me save her!" Leo cried out in anger. "Let me in!"

"Please, mister Jung. Let us handle–"

"You don't get it! Get off of me! Move away!" he cried, finally managing to barge through the room. He shoved the nurses, which were only two and both females, with ease as he hugged Jinae. "You're going to be okay. You will be." he assured, kissing her forehead.

"Leo, I'm scared." she squirmed in pain and fear. "I don'twant to die."

"You won't. I'm saving you, just like what I promised Minhwa." he smiled before he placed his lips over Jinae's. Jinae accepted it lovingly, closing her eyes as a single drop of tear escaped. The clock had struck ten just as when the two kissed.

The kiss was short but all honesty and all emotions were granted permission to flow. Leo felt Jinae's fear, Jinae felt Leo's fear. Leo frowned when he pulled back. Jinae's eyes were shut close and she felt cold. "No." he shook his head. "This is supposed to work. We reached the time! We kissed before ten!" he cried out as he placed his head on hers. "I followed the instructions. You love me, I love you. I did it before ten. It's mutual. I'm immortal and you're mortal. What's wrong?!"

He was held back when he felt warmth flow back to Jinae. The pale face she once had was slowly colored. The doctors and nurses were rather surprised but surprise wasn't enough to describe the situation.

Jinae stood up and threw herself to Leo, tears of joy escaping her eyes. "Leo!" she cried in joy. "I... don't feel pain anymore!"

She's alive.

And that's all Leo needed.

He kissed his temple and met her eyes.

But he frowned. Something was odd with her eyes.

 

 

Hakyeon was running as fast as his feet can carry. 

He knew that Leo would succeed even before action would occur. He needed to go there, see Leo smiling with a life-filled Jinae. All he needed was that. 

Hakyeon didn't really have the time to wrap the ring in a petite box because he knew that time was running out. So, just to avoid losing the jade-green ring, he placed it on his ring finger, where it nested perfectly. It fits perfectly and sometimes, hakyeon doubts if the ring is actually for him.

Of course, that's silly.

Adrenaline was coarsing through him.

And that was the very reason of his mistake.

The traffic light poured a shade of red instead of Hakyeon's beloved color green. Cars started and crossed the road.

At the exact time Hakyeon crossed.

Things happened to fast.

A head light in front of him.

The deafeneing beeping. The rushing of a car towards him.

And a woman, oh how peculiar she looked. She wore a colorufl hanbok that intruiged Hakyeon.

And her eyes, where had he seen those eyes? Oh, right. His reflection. He saw those eyes from his reflection. He saw those eyes in his reflection.

The very same eyes he has... were looking back at him?

"I'm sorry" the woman mouthed to him before he registered things.

But when he did, it was too late.