o14

Butterfly Effect

chapter fourteen ; 
               nemesis

By around eight in the morning, Leo wakes up from his deep slumber. He was first taken a back when he sees himself nearly underneath the sheets until he recalled what had happened last night. The familiar space beside him was empty, making him slowly grow panic. Jinae was supposed to be beside her, so where was she now?

Probably in the comfort room. 

Well, no. The comfort room is pretty empty. No signs of Jinae. Maybe in the kitchen, preparing a sweet breakfast for two?

Nope. Not in the kitchen neither. Neither was she in the living room. Definitely not outside his house too. 

Then where in the world can she be?

Ah, maybe she left earlier to run a few errands and forgot to leave a note that she did. That's the only reason he could find and as much as he wanted to understand, he did feel a bit empty space when he woke up having Jinae no where at sight. Leo was rather expecting her to be beside him, smiling as he opened his heavy lids. 

Wait, the previous night was real, wasn't it? They spent one night together and he was sure that Jinae fell asleep in his arms last night. Everything that happened to Jinae was real. Leo slowly panicked as he stumbled his way upstairs, heading towards his room once more. He had to see if things were real. He had to confirm that yesterday was real. Yesterday was no fiction of his broken mind. Yesterday is a part of the truth.

He happened to come across a mirror, which reflected a picture of himself. His eyes traveled down his shirtless top, glimpses of marks that he could recognize as bruises and hickeys. They were scattered– starting from his neck, some made on his collar bones, they were everywhere. He had to cover them. And at the same time, he realized that he has work to attend to, thus, scampering towards the shower room, he began to prepare. 

He only had twenty minutes left.

 

 

"You're late." a rather disappointed Hakyeon remarked as he saw Leo pacing around the halls. His brows were knitted together as he eyed the latter with burning eyes. "You're running late for the past few days, Leo. If you continue this, you'll surely get fired! And you haven't showed up at work numerous times already. Do you have any ideas on how much work is stacked up on your desk as of now? You better start working, pronto!" the tanned male growled, only to get an emotionless response from the other before Leo walks towards his office. Hakyeon could only glue his eyes on his friend, wondering what insane thoughts were clouding his head.

Curious, he follows Leo towards his office playing it cool when a few co-workers caught him tailing behind the mysterious employee. Leo eventually noticed it and in a matter of seconds, he spun around to eye Hakyeon, who was caught off-guard. "What are you doing?" Leo asks in a soft tone, only to make Hakyeon grow in panic. He needed to fire a response immediately or else, people will eventually think he's weird. As weird as Leo, to be exact. 

"C-can't I follow you to your office so I would be assured that you are really doing work?" Hakyeon glares, stuttering every now and then. "Y-you've been one of those workers who I should watch over! The boss is completely upset and had placed me responsible over your actions."

"But you're a position lower than me." Leo blinked. "The boss doesn't usually do those neither. Definitely, the boss' mind is pretty sane not to entrust you things, Hakyeon."

"Oh, what do you know?" Hakyeon blushed, embarrassed at Leo's words. "I-I can pretty much h-handle things too, you know!"

"Oh, I'd like to see you try." Leo smirked before he continues on his way, still knowing that Hakyeon was behind. Once he reached his office, he did recall Hakyeon saying that tons of paper works were pilled up on his desk... which was actually true. Numerous works has to be done and most of them have deadlines are today! How is he supposed to finish them in one sitting? Do an overtime? Definitely not a good idea.

"What did I tell you?" he hears Hakyeon comment as the tanned male leaned on his doorway. His eyes conveyed a mischievous aura, which Leo sighs to. 

"If you're here to mock me, best be on your way to mind your own work instead." Leo breathed out as he opened his laptop, deciding to start his work. "Go on, off you go now, Hakyeon."

But stubborn as he can be, Hakyeon sits on the couch located in Leo's office, making himself quite comfortable. After not seeing Leo for quite some time, he did miss this emotionless friend of his. The sound of the keyboard clacking was the only thing Hakyeon heard, aside from the sound of their own breathing. He absolutely had no topics to discuss with Leo as of now. They haven't hung out for a while, so, yeah. Besides, he wouldn't want to look like a meddler in Leo's life now, would he?

Oh wait, meddling is his role in Leo's life.

"Reminds me," Hakyeon began, still not making Leo look at him. "I called you yesterday night. Who dropped by at your house, huh?"

"Jinae." Leo answers without hesitation, only to make Hakyeon feel as if an arrow was shot straight to his heart. One name made him swallow a lump on his throat with difficulty. Of course, who else would drop by at his best friend's house aside from him? Definitely, his girlfriend. To be honest, Hakyeon was slowly getting irritated at Jinae. He knew that he shouldn't, but the way she is "seemingly" snatching Leo away from him just ticks him off so much. He knew that Jinae is a cancer patient and anytime, she might just die out in the blue. The sickness she wields is extremely deadly and perhaps, has no cure. If it does and if ever she did beat it, her life still has a scar. She'd end up getting bald and skinny... and pale. Leo wouldn't want that. Hakyeon wouldn't want Leo to have a girlfriend like that neither! To be frank, Hakyeon knew he could be a better lady that Jinae for Leo.

Only if he wasn't male, that is.

And only if Leo was gay as well, then nothing would be wrong. But no, Leo is straight. Leo isn't a homo. Leo is pretty much normal, excluding the fact that he is, well, suicidal and all. "I see. What'd you two do that night?" Hakyeon questioned as he crossed his legs. "Watched a movie or something? Hung out? Had a cup of coffee together–"

"We had an ."

"Oh, I see– wait, what?!" Hakyeon gasped as he shot right up. "You mean... you had  last night?"

"I suppose we had."

"What does that even mean?!"

"She wasn't in the house when I woke up." Leo explained, eyes still locked on the laptop screen. "I suppose she had to go home early to avoid having her parents dead worried."

"Like they'd even take the bait of any excuse she'd make! Any parent would know that if their daughter didn't come home at night, she either got too drunk or had ! Jung Leo, what were you thinking?! How'd you two get at that point? I always knew that you are better than that! You wouldn't just take some sick bait of that Jinae girl or anything!"

"We did that to forget Minhwa." Leo countered.

"To forget Minhwa?!" Hakyeon was nearly screaming. "Having does not erase any memory, Jung Leo!"

"Maybe it doesn't, but at least it covers it, right? If I'm too busy having my mind occupied by Jinae now, then I wouldn't be thinking of Minhwa that much anymore. Isn't that a good thing?"

"You...– ugh, no! That's not how it works!"

Leo could only blink as he eyed a furious Hakyeon. Maybe telling him such information so bluntly was a wrong move. "And you said that she wasn't beside you that morning?! Dude, that girl definitely just ditched you for a one-night stand! She must be drunk when she came knocking on your door last night and hooked up with you for the fun of it!"

"That's not the kind of lady Jinae is, Hakyeon." Leo defended, eyes slowly glaring up at Hakyeon. "She's not like that–"

"How are you so sure?"

"Because she's definitely like Minhwa. She's similar to Minhwa not only with their exterior looks but with their way of thinking and personality too. She's not that kind of girl you're accusing her of."

"Again, how are you so sure that she's just faking it?" Hakyeon scolded, his charcoal orbs filled with anger and worry. "What if she's just toying around with you? Not because they share the same attributes doesn't mean she and your beloved Minhwa are, well, same! What if she's just using you for fun? To remove her ual frustration? Worse, what if you got her pregnant? Can you support her and your child? How–"

"Hakyeon, calm down!" Leo cried out, standing up and slamming his hands on his desk. Once he calmed down, he slowly raised his head, eyes not even running across Hakyeon's eyes. "I don't get it on why you're so worried over me. This is my life."

"I worry because I care." Hakyeon sighed, running his hand over his hair. "The very same reason on why I bother to drop by your place whenever you end up getting so depressed. The very same reason on why I bother to tend on you and comfort you after you end up cutting or hurting yourself. The very same reason on why I am leading you away from your suicidal acts. It's because I care for you so much, Leo."

"But are you willing to suffocate me now that I've found Jinae?" Leo questioned. "Hakyeon, I'm slowly getting happier now. I've found Jinae and she's probably the one. She shares the same interests on me. We love each other."

Love. Hakyeon knew Leo was talking nonsense.

"Leo, please." Hakyeon pleaded, shaky arms grabbing onto Leo's arms. He could feel those muscles Leo has wielded since then. He always knew that Leo had one great body. "Please, just... just promise me that you're not going to end up broken hearted again, okay? I've got bad feelings over Seo Jinae, but if this makes you happy, then I won't interfere."

"I appreciate that." Leo smiled faintly before he ruffled Hakyeon's hair playfully. "I'll be fine. Trust me and Jinae, alright? We'll be fine."

No.

No, they won't. Hakyeon knew his hunches never lied. 

 

 

By the time work was over, Leo and Hakyeon parted ways. Hakyeon decided to head home while Leo decided to go roam around the night life of Seoul. The city was only made a lot more beautiful by the colorful lights embracing it warmly. Above, everyone can see the million twinkling stars floating beside the round moon. The cold breeze was just perfect, not too cold nor too hot. Just perfect.

People were a bit fewer this time. The buzzing noise he grew familiar with at day slowly simmered down. Nothing but the lovely chats and exchange of laughter could be heard, aside from the cars that is. The taps of their feet were the beat and their voices are the song itself. It was wonderful... the night life that is.

But one question remained. Where could Jinae possibly be?

Leo hasn't seen her for the whole day. Usually, he'd run across her during their lunch break. She'd be waving cheerfully at him, sometimes, running towards him for a sweet and warm hug. Sometimes, he would just feel something linking with his arms, just to be revealed that it's Jinae herself. It would be the nicest surprise. 

But for today? None. Definitely none.

Maybe he could brush the thought off after he takes a stroll. Just a quick one, then that's it.He'll head off, forget that he didn't see Jinae for today and head to dreamland. Simple as that, right? 

He did so. He walked around, enjoying some time alone.

He saw a few groups outside some stores, eating ramen together and chatting.

He noticed one with group somewhat acting all mighty as they tried to act like some brave gangsters they weren't.

They had ladies to accompany them too. 

And Jinae was there, holding a baseball bat

Wait. Jinae?

​Leo froze in place as he tried to observe the female wielding the said baseball bat. Similar to his Jinae, her silky smooth black hair flowed beautifully with the wind, only at this situation, her hair was messily tied up in a high ponytail. Her frequently seen clear eyes were layered with a shadowy make-up. Her natural rose-pink lips were overlapped with a dark red lipstick. She wore gothic-like themed clothes. She wore black leather boots that covered up to her knees. Not only were they hectic, they were also high-heels! Was this really Jinae? Possibly not. Jinae doesn't act this way. Was it possible that there's another doppleganger of Minhwa around Seoul?

No. Impossible.

"Hey! Jinae! Throw me a can of beer here, will you?" Leo heard and saw a red-haired female, around the same age as her, cry out as she gestured at this girl she addressed as "Jinae". The female, same female wielding the bat, did so and carelessly threw a can of beer at her, which she easily catches. "Thanks, girl!"

"Don't girl me. I'm not a kid." Jinae hissed as she threw her bat on her shoulders, glaring at the same red-hair. "I might be sick, but heck, I can still act like before, Krystal."

"Whatever." another female, this time, a blonde. "Still doesn't change the fact that you're a pathetic cancer patient, Seo Jinae. You'll die anytime, might at least act like you are!" she snickered in a mocking tone. Oh, how Leo wanted to punch the wits out of her, despite knowing the fact that she's a lady.

"Shut your dirty mouth, Chaerin." she growled once more as she pointed the baseball bat at her with a stern look. Just by looking at her, Leo felt the strong aura she radiated. "If you don't want blood covering that puny face of yours, might as well shut it–"

"Hey, that's my girl you're talking to, lady." a taller man said. He had earrings pierced on both ears and had a few tattoos as well. Like Chaerin, his hair is dyed blond. "You sure are fiesty today."

"Don't try flattering me, Jiyoung." she glared as she sat down on a black-headed male's lap. Her fingers traveled up on the male's cheeks, drawing a few shapes on them before she ruffled his hair. "Start talking brave to me if you get to achieve what Myungsoo can. Amn't I right, Myungie?"

"You know I hate that name, Jinae." Myungsoo glared.

"You like it, admit it." an auburn headed male teased as he sat beside the lovely couple. The jacket he wore was kind of that of a varsity's, only this time, behind it, a name readable as "Daehyun" was stitched on it neatly. "Myungie... what a nice nickname indeed! Seriously, why don't you have a taste for it?"

"It sounds girly, that's what it is." another guy snickered as he clung onto a taller guy, head dyed in a color Leo could distinguish as hazelnut color. His smile was wide and bright, just like the pink highlights on his fringe. 

"Look who's talking, the guy who calls himself with such a girly name."

"Bambam isn't girly!" he retorted. "I might as well say that Yugyeom sounds awfully ridiculous if you ask me!"

"No one asked you, girly." Jinae snickered as she crossed her legs as she leaned on Myungsoo's chest. 

"Reminds me, how's your boyfriend? Got him laid yet?" Krystal snickered as she plopped down the chair just beside Jiyoung. "I heard from Chaerin here that you literally ed a . Like seriously, what kind of guy remains a at that age?"

"How am I supposed to know?" Jinae clicked her tongue before standing up. "But hey, don't underestimate Leo. That guy's something." she smiled gently as she paced around the place. Despite not believing the scene, Leo smiled secretly as he hid behind the corner. The way Jinae was protecting and fighting for him in front of this group he supposes is her group of "friends", he knew that Jinae really had true feelings. He was happy that at least some one was standing up for him, besides Hakyeon.

"Is he?" Yugyeom asked in a childish tone.

"Definitely." Jinae nodded happily. Not more than three seconds later, her once angelic smile vanished and dropped, only to be replaced by a cold smirk and sharp knife-like eyes, eyeing Yugyeom. "For a freaking idiot! I know, that guy's filthy rich, one of the reasons I'm actually sticking around him? That emblem he gave me? Freaking made of true gold! If I sell it, I call dibs that I'll be a millionare!" she roared.

"Split it up with us, okay?" Myungsoo smirked.

" no." she hissed, emphasizing those two words with great strength. "Go earn your own damn money, Myungsoo."

"But real talk though," Chaerin interfered as she leaned forward Jinae, eyeing the other's smoky eyes. "Do you have some drop-dead feelings for that Leo guy, Seo Jinae? By the way you talk about him and by the way you act around him, it seems like you pity that depressed person's story. Sure you aren't falling in love with him?"

Leo felt as if an invisible rope was choking him by the neck. This was too much to handle. Tears threatened to form around the corners of his eyes as he heard those sharp words Jinae carelessly fired. This must be a dream. Yes, a nightmare. Another nightmare. Leo is sure that once he wakes up, Jinae's there beside him. The angelic Jinae he fell in love with. The Jinae who promised to help and stick beside him. He knew that. Jinae wouldn't be like this girl he's staring at. This is not Jinae. Jinae's beside him and once he wakes up, he'll see her majestic and fair face once more. No smoky eyes, no heavy make-up, no red lipstick, just her natural and fair-looking face. 

"Well?" Bambam impatiently snapped his fingers as he playfully nudged Jinae with his foot. "Come on, don't leave us hanging, play girl." The aura was tensed. Even Leo felt tense.

"You all are bonkers. Leo's like, the nicest guy you can hook up with." she softly says as she lights a cigarette. No, Jinae can not smoke cigarettes! She'll get sickier! "How can you call Leo like that?" she pouted before she bursts into laughter. "Only a crazy person would say such things! Definitely, I'm just playing around."

Leo felt his world crash in one nanosecond.

"That guy's too blind, which makes it easier to fool him." Jinae winked as she grabbed a can of beer and opened it with one finger. "Cheers for the idiot Jung Leo!" 

"Cheers!" her peers followed afterwards. 

Leo could only blink behind the pain.

This is just a nightmare.

This is not real.