Chapter Eight

Fugitive

Suho and Hyeji started to date like a normal couple. Suho would go to work and come home to Hyeji who welcomed him with open arms. Their love grew stronger every minute they were together. But this loving feeling wouldn’t last, since SPD realized Suho wasn’t trying to find the Masked Beauty as his cases were falling apart whenever they got close. Captain Lee was considering to kick Suho off the task force and ruining the chances of getting the promotion he so dearly wished for. He was about to lose his dream right as he found a new one. Hyeji, who in the end knew that this love couldn’t be, decided to give up on her freedom.

            On that night, Hyeji sat down at the dinner table with a grieving mind as he happily walked out of the bathroom, in his bathrobe.

            “Suho… turn me in,” Hyeji said bluntly after a few minutes after not speaking at all.

            Hyeji spoke with a firm voice; trying to convince Suho and even herself that turning her in was the right choice.

            “No! We can work this out! Who cares if I don’t get that promotion! I can get another chance!”

            “No you can’t, Suho, you know that! It’s hard enough to get a promotion, but considering the fact that your cases are falling apart because of me, you’re not going to get that chance!”

            “Hyeji, I’m happy with the job now. I don’t need it!”

            “You’re lying! I know you are! Don’t you remember when I first came here? You told me about your dreams! You looked so hopeful and happy; I’m not going to be the reason why you can’t get to them!” Hyeji started to feel tears forming in her eyes.

            I don’t want to be a burden again

            Hyeji had another flashback: Hyeji was sitting in her old dingy apartment while Eun Hye was throwing things around. Hyeji remembered how scared she felt.

            “You’re the reason you know that! You’re the reason why your father died!”

            “No… I’m not,” Hyeji cried, meekly with her face red hot.

            “You just had to go out with your father that day! He just wanted to stay home but you forced him to go out with you because you were just bored!” Eun Hye flipped over the coffee table, flinging the books and coffee cups with it.

            “I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to. I’m sorry, mom, please… please stop,” Hyeji pleaded, crying harder.

            “You don’t deserve to cry! Because of you, I can’t make enough money to live even in this cruddy place!”

            After continuing to yell and throwing a few twenties to Hyeji’s face, Eun Hye grabbed some clothes into a big luggage and walked out. Hyeji sat in front of the door, crying; watching it for hours before she passed out from exhaustion.

 

           Back to the present, Hyeji found herself bawling, continuing to cry “Mommy… I’m sorry… Mommy.” Suho quickly wrapped himself around her, her hair with his hand.

            “Baby, it’s okay. I’m here now… It’s okay.”

            “Mom still hates me, doesn’t she… she still hates me,” Hyeji whispered to herself.

            Hyeji and Suho cuddled the entire night, Hyeji still sniffling once in a while. Hyeji continued to think about her mother but slowly started to go back, thinking about Suho. She replayed in her mind, how he reminded about her father: the caring and understanding nature but with a blunt voice. She remembered their meals and cute dates, but the thing she remembered the most was the day they met. She smiled remembering the angry curses she spat at him and his direct answers. She finally recalled the smile on his face when he talked about his job. The smile that showed excitement and sincere happiness, a smile that Hyeji had when her family wasn’t broken. It was a smile that reached her eyes and filled her body.

            It’s okay… He’ll be okay after I’m done. He’ll find someone better, Hyeji drove the thoughts into her mind as if it were the only choice.

            “Suho… I’m sorry,” Hyeji said, quietly, as she curled up more into Suho, who was now sleeping. “It’s for the best.”