Chapter Three

Fugitive

Suho sat at his desk, going over the Masked Beauty file that was thick as the bible.

            “So many robberies, there got to be at least ONE clue about her,” Suho sighed, running his hand through his hair.

            “Yo, no matter how many times you go over that thing, you won’t find anything,” Chanyeol called out from Suho’s kitchen. “Got any beer? Oh wait, never mind.”

            As Chanyeol walked over with two beers in his hands, Suho sighed and asked how he can think about drinking when the Masked Beauty is out there.

            “Okay let me tell you something. The Masked Beauty is in her early twenties, five foot three, she got a body of a ing Victoria Secret model, she has dark hair, and her eye color is green. The main clue about her is that she carries a very old .34 cal that she obviously modified on to make it work… otherwise that gun would’ve been useless. That’s all we can get on her, nothing else. It’s going to be hell trying to think otherwise,” Chanyeol chugged down his drink.

            “There must be something on the gun; a unique one like that isn’t just lying around. If she purchased it, then it should be documented somewhere.”

“No I looked onto that a year back, before you were on the case. The gun is just a normal black .34, but someone plated that gun with gold and carved it, so there’s no way to know who bought that gun,” Chanyeol sighed deeply, remembering his disappointment.

“I need to find out more about her. Not only because I want to turn her in, but she’s a mastermind. How can a girl who reveals herself so bluntly for four years, not get arrested or even suspected for all this time? I want to understand that mindset.”

            “Well that seems pretty much impossible. Considering the fact she disappears into thin air.”

            “Well she can’t hide forever… something’s going to happen to her that’ll make her mess up or something,” Suho said.

            In downtown Seoul, eight years prior, a man was loading his car trunk with groceries. Just then, three towering men surrounded him and began to beat the man. The gang stole his wallet and car keys while laughing hysterically. The man’s daughter was in the backseat of the car who witnessed the crime. The fifteen year old girl was almost but effectively fought back, injuring their “sensitive part”. Taking back her father’s wallet and car keys, she drove her weak and dying dad to the hospital.

            Hyeji opened her eyes, finding herself back to the present. Hyeji gently touched her damp eyes in disbelief. Going back to her nightmare, Hyeji kicked her blanket off and walked to the hallway. She stared at the picture of her family portrait for over five minutes then started to talk to it until she fell asleep.

 

            “Hey!” Kris called as he pounded on the door.

            Hyeji walked slowly to the door as she rubbed her eyes, “What the hell does he want now.”

            Kris burst in the minute Hyeji opened the door.

            “Why didn’t you answer the phone? I called you five times.”

            “Sorry, just woke up.” Hyeji said as she eyed the clock that was a minute before 7am.

            “Jessica left for her spa day so we have the next two days to ourselves.”

            “Oh it’s Saturday again?” Hyeji asked sweetly, secretly disgusted.

            Jessica Jung was Kris’s wife; the oh-so-glamorous twenty four dyed-blonde woman who bathes in luxury. Hyeji never met Jessica before but hated her anyway. Hyeji was indirectly paying for all her spa getaways and designer items since Kris gave half of his share to her. Jessica Jung was a materialistic girl who doesn’t care about anyone other than herself; so much that she doesn’t even give Kris the pleasure he so-called needs to get by in life.

            Kris’s lips firmly pressed against Hyeji’s. He started to push her against the wall then to her bed. Kris’s idea of good was to completely overpower the woman. Hyeji pretended to enjoy it but started to cry out for help inside.

 

            After about half an hour of “fun”, Hyeji breathed heavily against the hot skin that was blanketed over hers. Just then Kris and Hyeji heard someone pounding on her door. They stared at each other, wondering who it would be. From an annoyed neighbor to the police department, Hyeji froze in place.

            “Babe, do you know who it is?” Kris whispered.

            Hyeji slowly shook her head, unknowingly making a terrified expression then tried to hear the voices on the other side of the doorway.

            “I told you he was cheating on you!” A high pitched voice exclaimed.

            “Shut up, Tiffany!” A higher pitched voice snapped. “Kris, I know you’re in there! Get that home wrecker to open this damn door!”

            “Is that…,” Hyeji didn’t have to finish.

            “Don’t answer it,” Kris ordered.     

            Just then, Hyeji heard her door slam open and soon enough Hyeji heard Jessica and her friend look around her condo.  

            “Why didn’t you lock the door?” Kris hissed in her ear.

            You didn’t even give me the chance to, you bastard, Hyeji shouted in her head.

Next thing she knew, Hyeji was standing under Jessica as she was holding her with her hair after they barged into her room. Name after name, Jessica slapped Hyeji over and over with Tiffany. Hyeji looked up at Kris then saw him getting dressed, not looking her way… then she snapped.

            Hyeji got her hair out of her grip and punched Jessica and Tiffany across their face that was caked with make-up, all within a few seconds.

            “Who the do you think you’re touching?” Hyeji asked in a low voice.

            In the next two minutes Hyeji was fighting off Jessica and Tiffany, avoiding every punch, scratches, and slaps they threw at her, except one. Jessica drew blood from Hyeji’s arm, giving her a bad shearing pain. Hyeji then grabbed for her gun from her desk drawer and aimed it at Jessica and Tiffany, who automatically threw up their arms.

            “Enough,” Hyeji said, calmly.

            “… Wait a minute,” Tiffany whispered to no one specific. “Isn’t that the Masked Beauty’s gun?”

            Jessica stared at the antique gold plated gun, then at Hyeji’s slender figure, “Oh… my… gosh…”

            Hyeji unknowingly smirked and cocked her head to the side. Kris then put his hand over hers that was bound tightly around the gun.

            “Let’s not go too far,” he warned.

            Hyeji glared at him, wanting to point it at him, but lowered her gun. Kris then faced the girls and told them to go home.

            “What? You’re coming home too!” Jessica screeched.

            Kris said, in a deep stern voice, “I just need a minute to talk to her.”

            Afraid to say anything else, Jessica and Tiffany dragged their feet to their car.

            “Now what?” Kris asked, almost furiously.

            “Now what…?” Hyeji asked, almost silently.

            Kris walked over to Hyeji and grabbed her chin between his thumb and forefinger. Hyeji stared into his eyes that were clouded with selfishness. Kris stared into hers that were like a bottomless pit; filled with anger, sadness, and fear. Exhaling noisily, Kris then got his jacket and walked out.

            Hyeji looked at the full length mirror near her and saw her body: wearing nothing but a large cut that stretched from her left shoulder to her elbow. What she noticed the most though was her eyes, as it was filled with tears.