Chapter Five

Fugitive

            As Suho found himself staring at the “Unmasked” Beauty, he knew right away that he needed to quickly turn her in. He checked if she was alive and breathing, but since she was, Suho grabbed his handcuffs and handcuffed her onto the bed frame. As Suho sat down next to the beauty, analyzing her appearance; he couldn’t believe that one of the most wanted and mysterious criminals was right there, passed out in his bedroom.

            He noticed her dark brown hair, framing her beautiful, pale face. The pain behind her twisted pink lips, caused frown lines between her eyebrows. As he observed her face more carefully, he saw how she had thick long eyelashes around the emerald green eyes he remembered from the driver’s license picture. He also noticed how she looked so small and brittle but remembered how much of a threat she really was.

            “How can someone so beautiful be so terrible?” Suho asked himself.

            Suho knew he had to turn her in, but he secretly wanted to keep her for himself; just for a couple hours. He knew once the Masked Beauty was finally locked away, he wouldn’t be able to ask questions about her past, or her motives. If he understood why or even how she turned out to become the Masked Beauty, maybe he can somehow prevent other potential criminals to develop a skill like hers.

After much debating, he ended up carrying her to his bed, and carefully unraveling the unique gold plated gun from her grip with a black latex glove.

“If Captain Lee finds out I’m doing this, she’ll have my head.” Suho whispered, marveling at the antique.

Suho quietly walked out of the room and put the gun in his kitchen drawer. A little less than an hour passed and Hyeji was screaming, trying to pull off the handcuff and the bed frame. Suho ran into his room with a plate of scissors, bandages, and tweezers.

“I’ll ing kill you! You disgusting son of a !”

“How?” Suho asked, after failing to calm her. “I took your gun and you’re stuck on the bed.”

“… I’ll…,” Hyeji started, looking around the room but didn’t have anything to say. In her position, she didn’t have the energy and weapons to fulfill her promise.

“Listen, I’m not going to hurt you,” Suho said, nicely. “I’m just trying to help you.”

“Yeah right,” Hyeji snapped.

“Look, it’s tweezers and bandages,” Suho explained slowly, holding them to her face. “We have to take out that bullet from your shoulder.”

“Why are you trying to treat me? Just take me to the hospital,” Hyeji muttered.

“I can’t have that. I need you not to get into jail right now,” Suho said.

Staring at him in disbelief, Hyeji watched him pull the bullet out, trying to ignore the pain, and drop it into the plate. As he was bandaging her wound, he introduced himself. He bluntly explained that he was curious of her mindset.

“What does my mindset have anything to do with this?” Hyeji asked, tired of turning around to stare at the weird policeman.

“You’re one of the best criminals the country, maybe even the world has ever seen. Any normal robber would’ve gotten caught by now, but we still couldn’t catch you even after four years; it’s interesting to know how it all started.”

“… Well aren’t you blunt,” Hyeji mumbled, but had to admit that she liked his honesty.

“I try,” Suho shrugged, smiling. “So what's your past?”

“Why don't you tell yours?”

“Mine? Why would you want to know what my past is?”

“You're obviously not like other cops; they would've turned me in a heartbeat. But there's you, who hasn't turned me in and is here treating the wound your own team inflicted on me,” Hyeji said, staring straight ahead.

“Well for one thing, I'm the one who shot you, and two, I can't have you bleeding out in my own house,” Suho said, now wrapping her shoulder in the bandage.

“Nice,” Hyeji mumbled, sarcastically, then straightening back up and smiled sweetly. “So why did you become a policeman?”

            “It’s been the family business,” Suho smiled back, proudly.

            “Ah,” Hyeji nodded, pretending to understand but rolled her eyes when she turned her head.

            Hyeji asked about his dreams and Suho answered straight to the point but still gave enough information to keep her happy.

Hyeji’s frown lines became to soften when Suho bitterly told her that his father died when he was young because of a drug cartel.

“Well I’m with you there,” Hyeji mumbled a little louder than normal, giving him a crocked smile; a smile that didn’t reach her eyes: an awkward smile.

Suho looked at her with a confused look and Hyeji let out a quick sigh.

            “… My dad was killed when I was just fifteen years old; he was mugged,” Hyeji started after an awkward moment. “My mom… she left the house after about a year or two, without a word… I didn’t want to go to a foster home, so I decided to live by myself. I did such low income jobs but after three years, I realized it really wasn’t enough… I then “trained” so I can make a living, and that’s how the Masked Beauty was born.” Hyeji felt her heart tense up, fighting back some of the tears she loathed.

            “I’m sorry…” was all Suho could say. “Then what about then gun? It seems pretty old.”

            “That’s my dad’s gun,” Hyeji said with a sad yet proud smile on her face. “He never used it though since he got it from his father. My grandpa’s carved it himself. My dad just put it on a display in our living room. When my dad was in the hospital about to die, he told me to have it.”

            “It is a beautiful gun, you’re lucky to have one that has a good sentimental value. Though you should’ve been like your father and just had it for show,” Suho said with an odd sarcasm.

            “Hey, I never killed anyone,” Hyeji snapped. “I always shot away from the major organs. I could’ve shot all of them dead if I wanted to.”

            “That’s good,” Suho said, remembering his fellow wounded officers. “Shows that you’re not completely bad.”

            “Whatever,” Hyeji rolled her eyes in front of him this time.

            Suho continued to talk to her, getting more and more information out of her, but gave more information about himself than he intended to. They talked about their fathers and soon about their lives in general until it was past midnight.

            After talking to Hyeji, Suho’s growing sympathy and attraction made it impossible for him to turn her in. Instead he got her to promise to stay low at his house and stay out of trouble… and that’s what she did.