Chapter Ten

Fugitive

            “So how was your sister date?” Suho asked when Hyeji walked through the front door the next night.

            “It was… weird,” Hyeji said as she walked to the dinner table.

            Suho laughed, gave her a kiss, and complimented her maturity.

            “Maturity, my foot, I was about to go nuts because I felt so uncomfortable. Sarang, on the other hand, was so happy and was acting like I’ve been her older sister her entire life.”

            “Well that’s good, isn’t it? You improved your relationship with your family,” Suho laughed.

            “I guess,” Hyeji shrugged.

            Hyeji replayed the day before, remembering the words that her mother had told her; how much regretted leaving her but her pride wouldn’t let her go back. Not even that but she was scared that Hyeji wouldn’t welcome her back into her life.

            Hyeji walked to the fridge and grabbed two beers and passed one to Suho. They started to watch a movie on Netflix, but Hyeji wasn’t watching.

            At least I made up with mom before I’m gone.

 

            “Suho!”

            “!” Suho hopped out of the bed as Chanyeol was knocking on the door.

            “Who’s that?” Hyeji muttered and was barely awake.

            “My partner; you have to hide,” Suho said, quickly throwing Hyeji’s stuff into the closet.

            Without asking anymore questions, Hyeji clumsily ran to the study.

            “Suho! Hurry up!” Chanyeol’s voice was booming behind the door, you would think he was in the room with you.

            “I’m coming, damn it!”

            Suho swung the door open, “Damn it, Chanyeol, what the hell are you doing here?”

            “I didn’t have anything to do,” Chanyeol laughed, walking into Suho’s house.

           Chanyeol set down a plastic bag filled with alcohol and threw his jacket onto the couch. Just then, he stopped in his tracks and looked around the house.

            “You have the girl living with you too?”

            “What?”

            “Your house… is clean.”

            “My house is usually pretty clean.”

            “Nah, man, it’s “living with a girl” clean.”

            Chanyeol walked into Suho’s bedroom, then bathroom, and then reached for the study. Suho tried to stop him and Chanyeol started to laugh.

            “Man you do have a girl! It’s been about three to four months now, right? How could you hide this from me,” Chanyeol boomed as he opened the door.

            Suho hurled himself to Chanyeol, slamming the door back shut.

            “What the hell?”

            “Yeah it’s true. I got a girl, but I don’t want you to meet her just yet.”

            “Why not?” Chanyeol sulked.

            “I just… don’t think it’s the time to meet her yet.”

            “Fine, whatever,” Chanyeol disappointed.

            “Trust me. You’ll meet her eventually.”

            Hyeji had her ear pressed against the door, and bit her lip.

            “Hey, let’s do something tonight,” Hyeji said on the same Sunday afternoon that Chanyeol almost found out about the Masked Beauty.

            “Like what?”

            “Like have a real date.”

            “Why all of a sudden?”

            “I mean… I’ve never been on a real one. I always hid in a house…”

            Suho fell silent but nodded his head. Suho quickly got ready, but Hyeji took ten minutes longer. Hyeji came out of the room with a short, hip hugging black skirt and a silk blue blouse. Her curled hair was swept to the side and her make-up was light and y but was soon under the large pair of sunglasses.

“Hyeji… you look… good.”

“Thanks,” Hyeji giggled sweetly.

 They started off their date by going to the movies, a restaurant, and a bar. They had to get all the seats that were hidden, but Hyeji already knew how to keep her face away from the camera. By the time they were done with their main plans, it was 1am. They decided to go to the beach and walked along the shore, hand in hand. They talked about their past again, the present, and even the future. Suho hoped that they could stay together, but Hyeji reminded him that she was still the fugitive, The Masked Beauty.

            “This is so cliché… the cop and criminal falling in love: that forbidden love,” Hyeji laughed half-heartedly.

            “It’s cliché but I like it,” Suho said, grabbing both of her hands and stopping in his tracks.

            “I like it too,” Hyeji said, gently.

            Suho smiled and leaned in for a kiss. They kissed passionately and lovingly. Even with this love growing so strong, Hyeji knew by tomorrow, the thing she cherished the most would be broken.