Chapter Six

Fugitive

“I’ll be back by 8pm,” Suho said, fixing his uniform in the hallway mirror, as a week passed since their first encounter.

            Hyeji nodded, nonchalantly. Hyeji didn’t admit it but she liked how he told her when he would be back. Suho smiled and gave her a pat on her head as he left the door.

            Blushing, Hyeji found her way to the couch and started to watch TV. She still wasn’t used to the cheaper type of TV that Suho had in his living room and she honestly didn’t like it at all. She turned off the TV and lied on the couch, wondering what to do. Just then her burn phone rang and Hyeji let out a heavy sigh with a curse added to it.

            “Hello?” Hyeji answered, quietly.

            “Hyeji, where the hell are you?”

            “I’m out of town, Kris, I told you last week. The cops came to my house and I need to hideout for a little while.”

            “I need to know where you are though. And you were just a suspect; they don’t have anything on you.”

           "Kris, I shot at them when they came to my house. That is a dead giveaway that I'm the Masked Beauty." Hyeji started then muttered. "and that anonymous tip that they received."

            “What?”

            “Nothing.”

            “God damn it, Hyeji, ing tell me what’s going on,” Kris started to get angrier.

            “I can’t… I got to go,” Hyeji said and quickly shut off the phone.

            Staring at the cheap flip phone, she smirked to herself, “He’s going nuts right now.”

            Hyeji went into the practically empty fridge. Hyeji didn’t care during the week she was there, but seeing the emptiness of the fridge again, it bothered her like crazy.

            “How are you going to live if you don’t have food?” Hyeji asked to imaginary Suho. 

            Hyeji couldn’t stand it anymore so she took her bag and walked to the nearby grocery store. She started to buy groceries and by the time she got to the register, her cart was completely packed.

            “$200.59,” the cashier said.

            Hyeji regretted her decision the minute she got outside. She had at least fifteen bags and she had to walk back home. With a deep sigh, Hyeji started for home but she was stopped by a good looking guy in a truck. 

            “Hey y, need a ride?”

            “Really?” Hyeji asked sweetly, but smirked to herself. “Thanks!”

            “So where do you live?”

            “I’ll just tell you the way,” Hyeji said, giggling.

            “Okay, so what’s your name, babe?”

            “Eun Hye.”

            “Well Eun Hye, you’re pretty cute, want to go out tonight?”

            “Oh I can’t. Got a date with my boyfriend.”

            “Oh… well we can hang tomorrow night right? I mean we don’t need to tell him,” the guy winked, putting his hand on her thigh.

            “Well if you say so… Turn right,” Hyeji directed. “Kay I’m here. Thanks babe.”

            “Wait so tomorrow night? Can I have your number?”

            After Hyeji grabbed everything, she faced the man with a sweet smile. Hyeji leaned over to his face as if she was about to give him a kiss.

            “Like hell I’ll give you my number,” Hyeji whispered to his lips and walked out of the car.

            Hyeji walked another five minutes to Suho’s house down the street. She packed his fridge with the beverages, frozen foods, meat, vegetables, and more. Hyeji then started to work on the steaks and mashed potatoes. By the time Hyeji came home at 8pm, Hyeji just finished putting the last plate of food.

            “What’s this?” Suho asked.

            “Well… your fridge was empty… there was nothing to eat…,” Hyeji mumbled, quietly. “… and I decided to cook something.”

            Suho smiled kindly and walked over to the dinner table, next to Hyeji.

            “That’s really nice of you. Thank you,” Suho said, giving her pat on her head.

            “I mean you had nothing in your fridge. How am I going to stay here if you have no food?” Hyeji said a little more confidently.

            “That’s true,” Suho said, sitting down. “Let’s eat then… you know, so you can stay.”

            Hyeji stared at Suho, smiled awkwardly, and sat down.

            “I hope you like it. My dad used to love this so this is the thing I can make best, but I don’t know if it’ll taste that good,” Hyeji said.

            “Are you kidding me?” Suho said, happily, while chewing. “Steaks with mashed potatoes are my favorite. You really can cook well.”

            “Thanks… I wasn’t really used to your kitchen so I thought it would be bad.”

            “No it’s really good; and even if you did cook badly, I would’ve still been happy.”

            “Why?” Hyeji crunched her eyebrows together.

            “Because no one has ever really cooked a meal for me,” Suho said in a bittersweet voice. “It was really nice of you to make me dinner.”

            Hyeji remembered how Kris used to always complain and yell at her about the food no matter how much she tried. She looked at the steak which wasn’t even a really good and premium brand. Tears formed in her eyes, but she blinked it away, hoping that Suho wouldn’t notice.