Same Place, Different Feelings

Distance Means Hello (Sequel)

Song for the chapter:

Lay Me Down - Sam Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJcLcuQdOw


The fall air in Seoul was much cooler than LA. The university where I will be attending for the first semester was in a part of the city that never slept. The lights never went out at night and people would walk the street like the safest place. This time, I will acutally get to experience Seoul like a tourist and not a lost soul like the last time I came years ago. The focus here is to study and do well in school. Mark may be living and breathing in the same enviroment, but in this huge city, it's impossible to run into each other so suddenly. My goal here is not to push for a make-up with him unless time allows it to happen. Knowing I'm close enough, is good enough for the meantime.

 

It has only been the second day since my arrival. My roommate's a Korean student who attends the university. Her English was quite advanced that it made our conversation easy-going. Thankfully, I wasn't the only exchange student. I had other classmates who were also attending the same school, but in order to enhance our Korean during our stay, we were paired with a Korean student of our gender. Rena, my roommate took me on a campus tour, explaining what each building specialized in. She was very intelligent in her English that I felt as though she could've been born and raised in the States.

"Rena, your English is superb." I complimented her.

"Thank you. I like to read American literature a lot so it helped me with my pronounciation and everything else," She explained.

I nodded and we continued exploring until we reached our dorm room again, settling in more of my stuff. This was going to be a new semester of school and most importantly, my life.


Mark wrapped his arm around Cecilia's neck and dragged her in for a peck. It was their day off and they had taken the chance to go on a date. Luckily, there was a carnival going on for the weekend to gather the city. Music played and vendors sold food and souveniers of all sorts. It was the perfect fall day to spend it with people who mattered. With interlocked hands, the lovers strolled around trying on funky hats and glasses, dancing to the music that boomed. It was a carefree moment for them both. With shades and weightless scarves, they disguised themselves to avoid any outburst of excitement from fans. They weren't a couple to hate at all, but they wanted their own time alone in public. After some time, Mark bought them friend bananas to eat and they sat away from the busy crowd, ontop on a green hill that looked below to where the ferris wheel was.

"I'm sorry." Mark's voice echoed in the stillness around them. The only thing that could be heard was the fading music from the carnival below them.

"For what? Everything's been going just right."

Mark swayed his head left and right, "I know. I'm sorry because I pushed you away during our trainee days."

Understanding him now, she also shook her head. "You had your own reasons to refuse my confession back then. What matters is that now, we're here together."

"You're right." Mark grasped her hand and kissed the back of it. "I don't know why I was so blind back then to not notice you trying so hard to get my attention." There was a hint of tease in his tone.

Blushing away, Cecilia responded, "You probably had someone better than me then, that's why." She was honest and true about that.

It registered in Mark's mind what his reason was that held him back from giving any girl a chance back then. There use to be someone who was part of him that made him take no interest in anyone else. That person was the only person he hasn't heard of from back home. He can recall clearly how hard he cried on the plane ride back to Korea the last time he saw that one girl who made him cry. To Mark, he was proud of himself for moving on and giving a sweet girl like Cecilia his attention because it proved to him that she was no mistake. She was a blessing. She guided him through his troubles as a trainee because she understood his obstacles like they were her own. They both had this powerful connection that allowed them to understand one another because they were both idols, living similar lives.

"Mark?"

"Hmm?"

"I've been meaning to ask, who was that one girl you always spoke of before we started dating?" The girl was curious so she gently asked Mark in the most fragile way. "You don't have to tell if you don't want to."

Mark thought about telling her. In fact, he had always thought about telling Cecilia of his past because he felt there was no need to cover up anything that made him who he was today. Because of not wanting to keep any secrets, he shared. "She was someone from back home in Arcadia. She was my best friend ever since middle school and even after I left to come here in the middle of my high school days, we were still just as close."

"And are you guys still best friends?" Cecilia didn't seem bothered by Mark explaining his strong friendship with some girl from home. She was understanding and attentive.

"No. I was returning back to Korea and she was starting university and even though we confessed, it didn't click for us. She didn't want the relationship like I did at the moment."

Cecilia swallowed hard hearing how Mark seemed so gloomy telling her this. "I'm sorry to have dug up the hurt again." She rested her hand upon his cheek as a warm gesture.

He placed his own hand right over hers to hold it in place. "No, don't be. Even though me and her aren't friends anymore, she led me to you. Because of her rejection, I found my way to you. Now, I'm happier that I ever was. It's all thanks to her for this blessing. It's also all thanks to you for waiting so patiently for me until I looked to you."

Cecilia was so touched by Mark's thoughtful words that tears sparkled in her eyes, "Mark, from the way you speak of her, she's probably a really good friend anyone would hate to lose. I hope someday, you both will make it all better."

Mark was shocked at how Cecilia was so thoughtful towards Kate as if she knew her. This was another reason why he fell for Cecilia. Her kindness never vanished and jealousy never took over her.


Weeks of practicing Korean, I finally learned how to hold a basic conversation. Though I'm able to communicate my wants and needs, I still lacked the knowledge of understanding someone else when they spoke too fast. Rena was patient with me when it came to me and in return, I also taught her more English words. We both became closer than I expected in the short weeks.

"Your improvement deserves a reward. Korean is not easy, but you mastered it well." Rena applauded my achievement that she thought so highly of.

"You deserve a reward for being such a great teacher," I returned her words.

Because we both were jubilant about each other's development, Rena wanted to treat me to eat Korean barbecue. This was going to be a real experience compared to all the times I ate Korean barbecue in LA. Being in Korea and eating the food here felt more significant.

 

 

As we got to the reccommended restaraunt, Rena and I sat down where the waitress had taken us. She openly shared with me her favorite dishes and told me what to try after making sure I wasn't allergic to any contents that the different plates had. After placing in our orders, we waited as the side dishes came first.

"Hey, look over there. Those are idols who I heard come here often." Rena whispered to me after tapping my leg from under.

I peeked over my shoulder to where Rena had told me to look.

"You know who idols are right?"

"Yeah, of course. LA had a lot of Korean concerts. I've never been to one, but I've heard of them."

I could see that Rena's eyes kept wondering over to where some the idols sat. There was about more than 5 of them sitting in the opposite corner. She would use her chopsticks to pick up some of the kimchi and then stare into the directio again as though she's trying to figure out who they were.

"I think that group is from JYP. There's some number in their group name." She continues to eat and whisper.

I hid my laughter from overpowering her whispers, "You seem to be trying so hard to put a name to their group."

"It's bugging me. I can't think of it."

"It's fine, just eat. Food is getting cold."

I looked over to the group of boys again and felt a jolt of magnetic field for some odd reason. I then looked at Rena once again when I realized she had kicked my feet this time around.

"What is it, Rena? Are you okay?" I was a bit concerned at this point because her face lighted up as if a lightbulb had come alive in her brain.

Her voice low and soft, "Got7."

Got7? Got7. It can't be, can it? The name stopped me from speaking and I felt my hands sweating that I had to put down my chopsticks.

"Hey Kate, you asked me if I was okay, but are you okay?" Rena's facial expression looked worried since I froze so unexpectedly.

"Who did you say they were again?" I tried to return back to my normal state.

"Got7 from JYP Entertainment. I heard they're popular nowadays after being named the second coming of 2PM."

I looked over the third time to see if their faces would confirm Rena's assumption, but they were to distant for me to see. After getting over the idea that the idols were Got7 and finishing our food, Rena excused herself to the restroom as I made my way to exit the restaraunt. Not watching where I was going, I caused a careless act that drew eyes to me. I accidentally bumped into the waiter that was serving the table with the idol group. I had apologized immediately, but he spoke something in Korean that I couldn't comprehend. It was too quick for me to process. He didn't sound too happy which was all I knew. I kept bowing saying sorry and using my hand as gestures to convey to him that I will clean up the mess. Where was Rena when I needed her to translate? Just as I bent down to pick up the fallen water pitcher, a hand beat me to it. He had said something in Korean along the lines of 'She already said sorry. She didn't mean to.'

I didn't dare look up out of embarassment until I heard English be spoken. Hearing English was a relief, but I didn't make eye contact because the voice was deep like it belonged to someone I knew, someone who I feared running into here in Seoul, South Korea.

"The waiter said for you to be careful next time."

I answered 'yes' in Korean.

"You can speak Korean?"

"Just a little. Well, thank you. I must go now."

"Wait, here." He shielded me with his gray cardigan, but I didn't know why until he stated it. "Your top is wet. Let this keep you warm."

I didn't want to fight it because I didn't want to direct attention to who I was. Just as I turned away, Rena had called my name loudly, pacing towards me.

"Kate, are you alright?! Kate!"

I winced at her mentioning my name so loudly. I was already embarrassed enough and the least I wanted to be was to be known by Mark. I felt someone else's steps come closer to me hestitantly after Rena's.

 

"Kate? Kate Tran?" That one familiar voice that I haven't heard for years accompanied my ears.

I looked up to meet some lost and confused eyes that bore into my empty ones. In front of me was Mark Tuan.

 

Author's Note: Was this what you guys were expecting? Was it too soon? hehehe XD Let me know your thoughts! :D