Scandal

Distance Means Hello (Sequel)

Song for the chapter:

Same Mistakes - One Direction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSXnP0e1mtg


I sat on the cement bench as I observed the passing students. Still so new to the campus, I never really took notice of this little flower bed that connected to the hall where the banquet took place. Life was there. People constantly utilized the space and green grass sprouted from the soil that outlined the ends of the pavement. Vines trailed along the brick walls that secluded the area, leaving nothing untouched in their path. There was a willow tree that stretched over the bench like an umbrella to provide shade on a sunny day and within a few distance there was another bench glued into the ground like the one I occupied. It was the exact reflection with a willow tree hovering over. The only difference was that it was on the right side whereas where I sat was on the left. There, I waited to meet the person who had requested to see me. I fidegetted with the cardigan in my hands, attempting to not ruin the fold I've spent countless times to perfect. The thought of turning back played in my mind, but I waited patiently. Maybe Mark would really come. I can't believe I was actually abiding to his order like the old times. He always called the time and place and I would just follow along.

 

I checked my watch to see the time and it was 15 minutes passed 12pm. He wasn't coming. I knew it. He probably forgot or got caught up with work. This was exactly what I feared back then when he asked for a chance. I feared being set-up unintentionally. I got up and began walking back to my dorm room.

Sometimes you just can't wait forever.

 


"Guys, can you guys hurry and just decide what you guys want for dinner? It's not that hard." Mark grew impatient with the feud the guys were having about what to get later on for dinner.Because of them, he was losing out on time. He was already late to his own appointment.

"Geesh, what's up your ?" Jackson pouted.

The others looked over to Mark after his sudden outburst.

Mark stood up from the floor and headed to the door after lacing up his shoes, "Look, you guys can decide. I have to go to lunch."

He had closed the door before anyone of them could ask him where he was going.

 

Jr gasped, "And he didn't even invite us?" He pretended to act emotional as JB patted his back.

 

 

On the way out, Mark ran into Cecilia who seemed to have been on her way up to see him. Seeing her made him feel bad for meeting with Kate. She doesn't know that Kate was in Seoul or that he was on the way to meet her right now. Cecilia's smile carried Mark away from the worry.

"Mark, perfect timing. Lunch?"

"Uh-I actually have somewhere I need to go right now."

"Oh, okay. I'll stop by with dinner later tonight then." Mark was astonished at how easy she let him go with such a vague excuse. This was what suffocated Mark. Cecilia was always just too understanding. She was perfect, but to see her act out of jealousy would be nice sometimes so that he was sure she really loved him. After a quiet moment, he held her hands. "Don't buy dinner tonight. Just come over. The guys are ordering food tonight."

"Well, I ought to bring something because I don't want to be a free loader." A beam of light flashed at the visibility of her smile.

After escaping another roadblock, Mark sped to the campus hoping the person he'd ask to see would still be there. His heart was telling him to forget it and that maybe it wasn't meant to see her again, but there was another voice in him that told him to go.

 

As he reached the garden area outside of where the even was held, there were many girls around, but none of them was Kate. Frustration was eating him and he didn't dare give up until he found her somewhere. It's logically impossible to find one specific girl in the university with so many others. What made in harder was that he didn't know his way around or where she might be at this moment. Looking left and right, exploring every direction of the compass, his hope was withering. Some girls took their time to notice him and squeal, but they weren't over dramatic like the teenage fangirls. Half walking, half jogging, Mark tredded the close area that looked familiar. She couldn't be too far from him in 20 minutes, right? Who was he kidding, a 20 minute walk could take a student across campus. Mark gave up, eventually. He stopped at the student store for a bottle of water to refresh himself. As he stepped out the glass door, he couldn't believe his eyes. The girl he's been looking for was sitting at a table right outside the snack window that was attached to the student store. She was there with a cookie in her hand.

 

"Hey, this isn't the place I planned to meet at, but it'll do." He sat in the chair across Kate.


I was minding my own business until Mark poofs in front of me. Could it be that I was thinking of his so much that I was hillucinating? When I heard his voice, I checked into reality that it was real. It was him.

"Mark, how'd you know I was here?"

"Coincidence. I stopped for a water bottle and found you."

I glanced at my watch.

"Sorry for being super late. I got caught up."

I ate the last bit of my cookie. "It's fine, but I have to go. It's already close to 1pm."

"But-but I just got here."

"You came to get your cardigan, right? Here." I handed his belonging to him. As much as I wanted to sit and talk, I couldn't bare the strange aura.

He grabbed the cardigan from me. "Oh, right. But, do you have free time?"

"Sure." I answered honestly in which I trapped myself to spending some longer minutes with him.

After agreeing to stay for a while, we decided to have some noodles that the school shop was serving. It was neat that it had a little restaurant built in. I could see Mark trying to loosen up. He cracked his neck from side to side and popped his knuckles. 

"Kate, how've you really been after...after I came back here?" Mark stared at his interlaced hands before making eye contact with me.

What he asked was a dangerous question because to tell him that I was miserable would be embarrassing to admit. I didn't want him to know. It seems he's been well since his return with a successful career, popularity, and God-sent relationship. Wouldn't he laugh at me that I stuck my nose in books most of the time to get him off my mind? Wouldn't he find it hysterical that he's already setting up his life whereas I was still in the midst of finding what I want and who I want to spend life with if ever came the time? I avoided being truthful.

"I've never been better. School has kept me on my feet." I acted cheerful.

Mark dipped his head to examine my eyes. "Really?"

I nodded, afraid he might see my lie through my deceiving eyes. "How about you? You're probably feeling wonderful with all your success."


"Now, but not before." His voice lowered. "From time to time, I still feel like a wreck because I destroyed something that meant a lot to me."

I didn't want to gain knowledge in his reference. I knew it had a deep meaning, but I didn't dare try to admit that I knew. I believe he was hinting our broken and lost friendship.

"Anything else you wanted to talk about before I go?" I tried to pretend like I was perfectly okay.

"Kate. I want to talk about us, our friendship." He never looked away from my wondering eyes. "What happened? I don't know how it came to this."

It was obvious that he wanted to talk about this, us. That could possibly be the only thing that was troubling him because everything in his life now was perfect.

"What are you talking about? We're fine." I was stupid for being so blunt to avoid the fact that we weren't fine. We were worse than fine.

"Can you just help me puzzle this together? For so many years I thought I would be able to find a solution to what made us distant, but I couldn't. Please, really talk to me about this."

I heard the urgency in his voice. Of course I didn't know the answer either because I also battled with this on my own.

"We lost it, but I don't think that it means we ended it. We just stopped after life hit us again."

"Why can't we even look at each other like we use to? Why do we feel the need to hide ourselves?" 

Mark was digging for heart-felt answers with his questions. He was always observant that I forget he could be very thorough with his thoughts. Was it obvious that I couldn't really look at him like I use to comfortably? Is this his way of saying that he also feels the awkwardness just as much as I do?

"Mark, it's just been a long time. I didn't expect to see you at all here."

"But you know that I live here. Why didn't you call or tell me like a real friend would?" He was sounding emotional.

"Look, I wasn't ready to face you. I was afraid to interfere with your life at this moment. Eyes are everywhere."

"For God's sake Kate, can you stop thinking about other people and think about our friendship?!" His jaw clenched and his ears were turning red. He was finally realizing how I felt when I wanted him to notice me back then when my reason to come to Korea was him. He was finally feeling what I felt when I was tired of him always having to disguise us because he was scared of a misunderstanding. This time is different, I was scared of a misunderstanding because he's now a taken man.

He forced the truth out of me. I too was getting emotional. "It's because I care about you that I care about the eyes watching you. I don't want anyone to know that I was the girl who made you cry!"

That was it. My words totally shushed him up. His wide-eyes revealed that he was surprised.

"How'd you know you were the one who made me cry?"

"Because Mark, that day at the airport your eyes sparkled with tears.  No girl has ever made you shed tears and I know because as best friends, we told each other everything. I've never made you cry either, but that day was the first. Do you know how horrible I felt? Until this day I can't forget it."

His hand found its way to hold mine, comforting me. "I'm sorry that I put you on blast during that interview. I should've never said anything. Though I kept you anonymous, I know it can still be hurtful to be reminded. I'm really sorry."

"Look Mark, I don't even know why I'm crying or why you're crying. Let's just leave the conversation here." I got up.

"But, what are we?" He asked standing up as well.

"We are whatever you want to think we are."

As I was turning he caught my wrist from across the table. "No, I want to share an agreement with you. I want to know what we both agree to be."

I knew the answer he wanted. "Do you want me to say that we are friends?"

"I want you to say what you really think, not what I want to hear."

"Would you be able to handle it? I don't want you to expect my answer to be like yours. I can really hurt you and I rather not say anything." I hinted the fact that I've hurt him before. I've crushed his heart when he wanted to take us a step further years ago, but I declined him. Here I was again, going to crush him because I was too terrified that if I gave him the answer he wanted, I'd be suffering. I'd be suffering because my heart still pounded against my chest for him. 

I concluded my response, "We can't be friends. We are just people who know one another."

A friend is no longer a friend if they have a crush on the other. I'm no longer a friend, but a secret admirer.


 


MARK TUAN CHEATING ON CECILIA WOO? 

A picture has been published by a photographer who requests to be unnamed. Take a look at the image below and share with us your thoughts. Could this really be what we think? Will the perfect MarCilia couple die out this easily?

There needs to be an explanation about this. Friends don't sit alone looking so intimate like these two, right? Whoever this girl is, she's definitely taking the spotlight with Got7's Mark.

-Allkpopfever 

(Picture is not really of Mark and a girl. It's Sohee and Seulong from the same company, JYP Entertainment. This photo is only used to portray a more realistic understanding. The use of it in this fanfiction is purely out of imagination and feel.)

 


Finding this on newspaper and the internet, JYP had called Mark in to clear the misinterpretation. Mark was worried about Cecilia's response and most importantly, Kate's reaction to this. This was exactly want she didn't want, but now she was into a ruthless scandal.

 


Author's Note: I've finally updated! Yay! :) 

I also want to take the time to advertise my BamBam oneshot 'Faded T-Shirt & Messages'. Please show love for the short writing as well! ^^ ----> http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/757723/faded-t-shirt-messages-oneshot-bambam-got7-bambamandoc