From the Other Side

Distance Means Hello (Sequel)

(Continued from Previous Chapter)

Mark sat and waited in the kitchen area for Cecilia, but she never came back after 20 minutes. The ramen he made was cooling down, almost cold. He got up from his seat and went to go check up on her. He was about to go to the bathroom door to knock, but found it have way open unoccupied. Seeing that she wasn't there, he went to her shared room with one of her members. He pushed the door open to see it dimly lit. Her motionless body on her bed looked different from her frail body before. She had fallen asleep instead. Mark made his way to kneel down next to her and tuck her blanket around her. He placed the back of his hand over her forehead to feel no fever. She looked perfectly fine in her sleep. He ran his index finger up and down her cheek to soak in her image.

"Wherever you're hurting, you must be very tired. You didn't even eat yet either." His deep voice whispered.

Looking at his girlfriend like this, he really wondered what thoughts were weaving in her head. Though he didn't mention it, he saw the dried tear streaks on her cheeks.

"You seem stressed lately. What's really going on? Why do I feel you're hiding from me?"

Talking to himself, Mark stirred up his own heart. Tears found their way through his tear glands down his face and dripped at his chin. He was crying because he felt helpless to the girl that was lying asleep in front of him. He felt as if she's creating a distant from him lately. She barely talked to him openly anymore. It was all small talk only now that he realizes it. His fingers caressed her hair like all the other times. She seemed at peace.

"I don't ever want to know that you cry alone secretly." That was last whisper before he kissed her forehead and closed her bedroom door. He decided to let her rest as he exit the dorm to his own.

 

As Mark disappeared, a tear rolled down the corner of Cecilia's eye, across her nose bridge. What he didn't know what that she heard his every word. She was aching all over now. What was he doing to her? He had so much power over her that it was nearly killing her. After her shower, she couldn't face him because she broke down so she decided to hide away in her room and force herself to sleep. She had smelt the ramen aroma, but she refused to walk out there. Now that Mark, left the dorm, she made her way out to the kitchen and sees two bowls of ramen set out on the table. It was such a waste. Cecilia's stomach growled since lately she hadn't had the right, full course meal. Just as she picked up the chopsticks to roll in the noodles, the door opens. It wasn't her members.

 

"Cecilia, you woke up." Mark walked to her chair.

She refused to scoop the noodle to now. She only looked at him blankly and took the bowls in her hand then got up.

"Hey, what's happening?"

"I'm just clearing the food. It's cold and not good anymore."

"But you haven't ate yet. Let's eat together." Mark held onto her wrist to prevent from throwing the ramen he had made away.

"I don't have the appetite right now." Again, she blandly answered. Her eyes were red and watery. It was more obvious now that she'd been crying.

She took notice that Mark had freshened up. He probably made a run to his dorm to wash up and change then came back.

"You haven't ate so at least try. I'm quite hungry." He admitted.

Mark took one of the bowls from her hand, but first, he held her hand. Quickly, she pushed his hand away and at the same time, the ramen bowl clashed onto the floor. Cecilia's eyes widened at what she caused for not controlling herself. Mark was too shocked at what just happened. There was a pause in the silence. Reacting to it, Cecilia bent down to scoop up the noodles back into the empty bowl. She rushed over to get napkins and wiped the wet surface. She felt bad that she had knocked down Mark's bowl of food. She handed him the remaining bowl without a word. He didn't accept it so she slammed it onto the table. The pain in her still remained which caused her to clash the bowl onto the table unconciously. Mark's eyes where still in shock mode. It was the first time he was seeing his girlfriend acting so coldly to him. She walked over to the sink to rince the chopsticks and bowl. Suddenly Mark's masculine hand reached over to shut off the water. He was so close to her that she felt his breathing behind her neck.

 

"What's really going on? Are you upset or something? Tell me." Mark carefully cooed because he didn't have an idea about what was going on.

"It's already 10pm, you should go back to your dorm and rest." She completely avoided his concern.

"What was that all about? Something's definitely going on."

Cecilia didn't know how to handle the situation right now. She tried hiding it, but now she just couldn't. "It was an accident, okay?! Just eat the other bowl. I'm not hungry anyways." She pushed passed him.

Mark sped to block her way, standing right in front of her steps. "The tears, the slamming, the pushing away, what's happening?!"

"It's getting cold and not good anymore. Let's just throw it out." This time, she meant it much deeper than early. Her reference wasn't about the noodles anymore, it was something more.

Mark, oblivious to her mention, he told her that the noodle could still be microwaved.

"Mark, you don't get it, do you?!" The frustration was real.

It was like crying was a part of her now, like a dark cloud hovered over her constantly. She fisted her hands and pushed at Mark. He stood in front of her and took her beating. It was hurting and killing him to see her in such a mess. She was crying and hitting him, but not once did her interfere her in doing so. He let her push and pull at him until she fell to the ground. He kneeled down with her and hugged her without a word. He rubbed circles around her back and smelt her damp hair that carried the smell of rose petals. After all her energy was used up, she found herself hugging Mark back. It triggered Mark, but he let her be. He raised her up and together they stood. Cecilia was too afraid to look at Mark now. It's as if she couldn't see him like before after hurting him verbally and physically.

"Ceci-"

"Let's end." She whispered her conclusion.

Everything inside of Mark shattered. Was what she inssisting what he really thought it was?

"Mark, let's end it here." This time she said it with full sound.

"But, why? Did I do something wrong? Let's talk about whatever it is first before you just call quits on everything." Mark's eyes were glistening.

With bravery, she voiced, "We both know I don't own your heart."

"Where is this all coming from?"

"We don't even need to waste time talking about this. Let's just stop. Put everything off. Call it an end. Give this up-"

Raging with hurtful words, Cecilia was stopped by a pair of lips on hers. Mark grabbed onto her and pulled her into a kiss. His tears smeared into hers. Cecilia removed herself from the contact.

"Can you just stop confusing me even more?" She spoke clearly through her tears. "I know...I know that you still...care and love...Kate. I know it, Mark. You don't have to try forcing yourself onto me anymore. It doesn't work like that. Instead, it's giving me more pain to stand innocently here and carry the thought."

Mark didn't expect the beans to spill this soon. He wasn't ready and now, it was burning him. "How are you so sure?" He was hesitant.

Cecilia reminded herself to breathe before continuing. She went on to tell him that she heard and saw everthing the other night. Because Kate and Mark was gone for quite awhile, she had walked around to find them since the others were tired and wanted to leave. Doing so, she caught the two in the dimly lit area hidden form the people. She was about to turn and not intrude a serious talk, but she heard his confession to Kate and saw how he moved in for a kiss. She heard his every word and how Kate has been on his mind instead of her. To hear one's boyfriend admit that really ached her entire being. Aftering telling Mark this, he was left astonished and embrassed, but mostly pained that he had caused such harm to someone so sweet to him.

"I'm sorry. I had a lot of emotions running to me and I didn't really think it through carefully. Kate is my past."

"Whether she is or not, I'm far from her. She has won and I'm giving you up for her." She surrendered. "Now, you should head back. I've had enough and I want to sleep."

"Please, Cecilia. Let's not just throw all this away."

"You're confused and I don't want to give us a try when one of us is unsure of where we are going. Let's break it off-"

"No, I will not let you break it off like this. I've lost someone before and I know how hurtful it could be. I don't want to lose you now either. Even more important, I don't want you to experience what I did when I let the person I care most walk away from me. Cecilia, if you care for me, you would stay by me and fight off this confusion with me."

"Mark, that's all I've been doing. I've been fighting for you. I even waited until you found interest in me. Let me tell you, it was a battle. Having you was already hard enough and if you're telling me I have to fight another round to keep you, I will surrender from it all because I know kate will win. She knows you better than me. She has the upper-hand. I don't want to get myself into this anymore."

Her voice trembled. "It's too tiring. If you really cared for me just as much as I cared for you, we both wouldn't have to break each other to keep each other."

"Forgive me, but please let's work this out," He pleaded.

"Mark, tell me...are you only saying this because you feel you have no one to turn to since Kate and Meng are now dating? I don't want to be a rebound." She stood her ground. Opening the door, she escorted him and as she turned to return inside, he hugged her from behind, bawling. The two were in stillness. Mark wrapped his arms tight around her and she willingly let him because she truthfully didn't want him to let go.

"I'm sorry to have let you down. I deserve more hate for what I've caused you. Let me straighten things out with myself first. I need time to clear my mind." He whispered and planted a kiss on the side of her neck. With that, he left her. She didn't have tears to cry anymore. Her heart shook, but she was numb.

 

Author's Note: Here's a little Mark & Cecilia moment. I felt she deserved a little part for herself since she's experiencing so much side effect. Please leave some comments below! ^^ ~On a side note, it's July 3 which is my birthday! :D Here goes to another year! Whoop whoop! It's 12:40 AM so I'll be off to sleep now. I hope to wake up in a few hours and read your lovely thoughts about the update! hehe...Love y'all! Goodnight, good morning, or good evening wherever you are! <3