Admitting the Truth

Distance Means Hello (Sequel)

Mark ran his fingers through Cecilia's shoulder length, caramel brown hair as she rested her head in his lap. They both had just finished a piece they created during their free time. He looked down to her and watched as her eyes lit up in sparks. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She questioned Mark's gaze.

"Because..."

She sat up to look at him in a more serious and worried way. "What is it?"

"It's mind-blowing how you just initiate on meeting Kate and be ultimately cool about her."

"Do I seem like someone mean? Kate's not a bad person whatsoever." Cecilia shrugged in confusion.

Mark smiled in relief. "I know but it just amazes me how a friend of mine and my girlfriend can get along."

"It's not like one of those cheesy dramas, okay?" She giggled. "Girlfriend and friend can get along just fine."

Mark inched closer to her face and placed a light kiss on her temple.


 

Meng has been leaving encouraging notes under my dorm door. Because finals were coming up, he often left motivating words for me wherever he could. He even stuck them secretly in my binder, notebooks, and backpack. I never know they're there until I check during the night time. He would draw cute little characters after each quote that he created. It was cute.


"Did you study?" Meng slipped in beside me as I sat down in the eating hall.

"Yes, I can't forget since I have you constantly reminding me." I teased as I showed him the pack of mini letters he left me.

He chuckled, "That's good. Glad I helped in someway."

I cracked my Korean history book open and did some extra studying. As for Meng, he received his notes and snacked on a bag of chips. We were quiet for the majority of the time, but having him beside me studying as well eased my stress somehow. I felt like we were relatable. We're living a similar life here in Korea as exchange students, studying for the same subject, and we completely understood each other. If we didn't, we at least attempted to. 

 


After sometime, I guess I fell asleep because my eyes fluttered open to see Meng's eyes so close to mine. He playfully tugged at the strands of my hair murmuring nonsense. The second my brown orbs looked into his, I felt electricity. I blinked and backed away.

"Finally you woke up." He say up straighter.

I remained calm, "Why didn't you just wake me up instead of creeping me out?"

"You looked too peaceful and I didn't want to interrupt. I mean, I've been constantly bugging you about studying so the least I could do was to let you enjoy your nap." He reasoned with me well.

His reasonable thought made my stomach drop. How could he just be so utterly intelligent in such a way that makes him far more attractive than I thought. My goodness. He's really out to kill me.


 


 

It was Friday night and Meng and I decided to take a trip to the night market. We craved for the street food that we've missed since the past weeks were spent on campus studying for exams. This was going to be outer treat and celebration time after ending the week with passing grades. Rena and Jeremy found there own time alone after concluding and obviously showing their interest in one another. Meng was surprised his own buddy took it to another level. I, on the other hand, encouraged Rena since Jeremy was a decent, nice guy with a pure heart.

Seeing that our friends we're moving onto a relationship, it made me question about Meng and I. Were we also going somewhere? I mean, it's odd to think of the possibility. From time to time, I lose my mind focusing on him and his kindness, but I wonder if he feels anything? I know for a fact that sometimes I jump in and out of an electric shock when I'm with him, but does he?

I suddenly heard his voice again.

"Kate, I got you spicy chicken bits on a stick." He handed the stick that was foiled at the bottom. He knew me so well. He knew that I can tolerate spiciness. The taste becomes ten times better when the pepper begins to work.

"Thanks." 

We walked the street. Though it was late, people still strolled the night market like it was still daylight. Everyone seemed to love the company that they were surrounded with. There was no time for quietness or loneliness. I wonder if anyone really goes home or if the mini shops ever close. The comfortable feeling between Meng and I led us to talk about numerous things. We couldn't find an end to it all.

 

Turning corners, crossing street lights, and passing by strangers, who would've thought that even in the dark night, we'd run into familiar faces. We were minding our own space until we heard someone chirp our names.

"Oh, Meng hyung and Kate noona!" 

I looked to see BamBam and Youngjae with Yugyeom trailing behind.

Meng did a little handshake with them. It's strange to see that they all got close already. I waved to them.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked.

"Just hanging out since we have the chance to." Youngjae commented.

"So it's only you three?" I questioned again, but another voice came into the conversation and it was then when I knew the three maknaes weren't the only ones out.

"Kate, Meng, hi! Nice to see you both here." Cecilia came to lean in for a hug. She was so friendly which reminded me of Jessica and it made me miss her.

Then of course, Mark. He was there too and looked just as stunned as I felt. He didn't greet Meng like the other three. Instead, he gave a simple nod. Meng smiled and did the same. It was awkward after that.


Shockingly, Mark spoke up. Not only did he speak up, he even had the power to ask me to walk with him for a bit.

"Kate, let's go on a walk. We have to talk about some family stuff." He smoothly bought his way. His simple statement made me follow him. He didn't need to drag me by the wrist or anything. I willingly complied even though I didn't want to go anywhere with him.

I glanced at Cecilia  and she seemed perfectly fine with it. She even motioned for Mark and I to go ahead. Everyone else didn't mind. They drifted off into their own talk. Even Meng. He didn't stop me or Mark. It's probably cause they're all aware of Mark and my "close friendship" when truthfully we were awkward as hell together now. We aren't even close friends at the moment.


Until we were far enough, Mark stopped. We were by a corner of a red brick building that was far from the bustling area of bodies.

"You actually didn't try to escape it like I imagined you would." 

I looked at him, "I wouldn't want to create a scene but trust me, I would've if I wasn't surrounded by eyes." I came off colder than I thought.


This was the first time we were actually talking to each other alone since the scandal. Something in me made me mad. I didn't hate him, but I did. Ironic. Aside from being called a relationship wrecker, the rumor made me wish it was real. Selfishly, I wanted it to be true that Mark and I were something. I wanted it to be true that we were happening. Gosh, I'm stupid. It was times like this that my mind completely forgot and gave up on Meng.


"I want to talk to you about the scandal."

"Cecilia and I already talked about and she understands that you and I aren't like what the article created us to be." Why did he have to bring this matter up? I was already over it. I pushed it far away from me and here he was, dragging it back.

"I know, but I want to hear it from you. I want to know how you felt about it."

"Mark—"

"How did you feel when you first heard about it? How did you take it? I want to know." His voice was demanding.

"It's all over already. There's no need to know how I felt about it."

"There is."

"Why do you want to know?!" My voice grew frustrated.

His eyes never left mine. "Because I care, Kate. I care about your feelings. I want to hear you curse at me for bringing you into a situation like that. I want to hear you yell, scream at me for choosing this idol life that made you decide for us to no longer be friends. Please, hit me or something!" His voice shook every cell in my body. His veins on his neck popped and tears rolled.

My breathing hitched. Again, he was crying in front of me like 2 years ago. I made him cry again. I tried to hold in the disappointment I had in myself.

"Mark, stop. Don't cry." I closed my eyes to avoid seeing him like this.

"How can you just tell me not to cry when all I've been wanting to do the past years was to cry my whole life away?" He uttered every word precisely as if he aimed to pierce into the guilt I've buried for so long.

I held myself together wanting to prove that I was capable at whatever words he was throwing at me. "Well." I cleared my throat. "Since you really want to know how I felt, I'll tell you. I was deeply hurt by the false rumor, but I would've been more hurt if it was true. I'd be hurt to be known as a relationship wrecker and actually be it. But everything's okay. It's the least of my problems right now."

"That's it?"

I nodded. It wasn't exactly everything how I felt, but I couldn't truthfully tell him that my feelings for him still lingered and that every part of me wished we were more than what we were right now.

He wiped his tears. "Did you know that the first person I thought about when the rumor was out was you? I didn't even want to clear it up to the public or my agency. I didn't even want to clear it up with Cecilia. She didn't even cross my mind when the scandal was announced. It was YOU. I didn't care about the misunderstanding because I was too worried about how you'd take it. It killed me to imagine if you were suffering from the media because of me."

I was speechless, but regained my strength. "But here I am, the last person you're clearing it up with, right?" I acted carelessly.

"Kate, you were the first person I wanted to see and talk to. You know, just because you claim us to not be friends anymore, it doesn't mean your off my list as my best friend." He sternly said his words as he came towards me.

"Who was the first person you cleared the misunderstanding with?" I became curious.

He stuttered but managed to say it. "Cecilia."

I gave him a sincere smile after our whole dry, dispute. "I'm glad it was her. She should be the first person because I'm just a distant figure. She's close to you, Mark. She deserves your every explanation when you're in a situation like our scandal."

"W-what?"

"You found yourself a good girl. Keep her, Mark. Keep her closer than  me."

"But Kate—"

"Mark, we really need to stop running into each other. I'm tired of it. I want to move on with my feelings for—"

I almost slipped out of me. I almost confessed to him about the childish feelings I still had for him, or at least I think I still had.

"Your feelings for what?" He caught on. He now held onto both my wrists to prevent me from turning away.

"Nothing. I'm just not in my right mind right now. Let go before we're caught in a second scandal." I whispered lowly as I peeked around to make sure there weren't cameras.

"Tell. Me. Your feelings for what?"

He was really trying to force it out of me.

I felt the urge to make him mad. I was afraid of ruining the beautiful bond between him and Cecilia. I couldn't spill my feelings for him now. My time was over. He's not a single man anymore and I had to consider that.

"I want to move on with life. I want to move on with my feelings for Meng! I like him, Mark. I don't want to keep seeing you unexpectedly like this. It doesn't give off a pretty image!" I exclaimed.

I hope I covered well. Though I desired to tell him that I wanted to move on with my feelings for him, I couldn't. It was too dangerous. I suddenly feel bad for Meng, dragging him in like a bait.


He took in a sharp breathe. "So, you actually like that guy. I thought you'd say something else. I thought you'd tell me you still think of me and still had feelings for me." He bit the corner of his lips and his teary eyes were still present.

I wondered why he suddenly spoke of my thought. Was it clear to him?

He continued expressing his thought. He looked like a restless, drunk person right now. His eyes watered and he stumbled towards me. He kept his posture straight and proper, but it was obvious that sadness was eating him up. Emotions built up in him.

"Kate, you have such a strange affect on me. I don't know what you do, but you have a way of swaying my heart. Just when I thought I've forgotten about you, you come back and make me feel every mix signal. I begin to miss you all over again. I think of you constantly now and I can't help it."

My eyes were no longer dry. Teardrops were forming. "Mark, don't mention such nonsense." He was crossing the redline I dared not to even go near.

"I don't think I ever stopped liking you or wanting you to be by my side. I wonder now how we'd be if we actually bloomed into something more."

With my wrists still in his hold, he jerked me into his body frame. He looked down on my shaking structure. I could feel and hear his uneven breathing.

I whispered in my shaking voice, "Mark, please don't say these things that you don't mean. You have Cecilia."

His voice was just as soft as mine. It was as if we spoke in this way so that the world would have no clue. "She's not you. I loved you first and I still love you just as much. I have her, but I can't bring myself to give my heart to her. My heart still only wants you."

I felt sirens calling for my attention. I had to stop this. Before I could make a full motion, I felt his lips brush upon mine. I had to put this all on halt before it got worse. Instead of letting the pressure fall fully upon my lips, I slipped my hand in between our contact.

"This is unfair for Cecilia. She's been nothing but an angel to you and she doesn't deserve to be treated like this. I'm also in the stage of going somewhere with Meng. I don't want to ruin the great things for us right now."

He looked at me with sorrow-filled eyes.

"This is wrong."

"Tell me why this feels right then?"

I was impatient with how Mark wasn't cooperating with me. "It's because you're thinking about this selfishly. Don't think about just making yourself happy. Think of who you'll be hurting if you choose this route."

"So are you being selfless by forcing yourself into wanting to be with Meng? Why do I feel you're also not over me?"

I was mad that he was so right about me not being over him, but I was partially being truthful when I said I was feeling a pull towards Meng. He had an attraction of some sort.

"You had a special place in me, but that place is buried now. I have interest in Meng and I want to get to know him better. He's different from you, Mark. He's more like me and it makes my life easier." I admitted.


I cleared my face and steadied my heart rate. I walked back to the crowd and left Mark.