New Friend

Distance Means Hello (Sequel)

Song for the chapter:

Make It To Me - Sam Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX30Sgchc20


 

(Continued. . .)

It had caught Mark off guard hearing the name he dare not to say for so long. Was she really here in Korea, in front of him right this moment? What was she doing here? Why of all places must they see each other in such a place like this? There were no words to spill because he couldn't formulate any sentences. They both shared one stare and that was about all that happened. In Mark's imagination, he pictured them standing in the LAX like the last time they saw each other. The setting had turned into the busy surroundings of the airport that they had left each other hurting. A transparent layer of water glistened over Mark's eyes and his lips quivered. Tears didn't ooze, but it was obvious they were trying to break their barriers. Emotions ran throughout Mark's body with a mixture of anger, hurt, and joy to be reunited with the face he use to crave for.

"Kate. . ." He began stating the name once again. "Hi. . ." A sharp breath was taken afterwards.

"Mark." Kate couldn't say anything more because she was too shaken, afrtaid that she'd cry at the sight of him. She didn't want to look weak because it will show him how much she had missed him as a friend, forgetting she had feelings for him.

"How are you-"

She cut his sentence short, "It's nice to see you. I must go now." Clinging onto Rena's arm, she pulled her roommate along with her out of the burdensome air that lingered.

It was too unexpected that Mark didn't have the urge to walk after her to engage in a real conversation or even address her how she could give his cardigan back. He watched her walk away again like the last meet. It gave him too much to remember leaving him to feel as though he had scraped off the scab that covered his scar that she had left him with. Returning back to his seat, the 6 pairs of eyes watched him with worry. Mark sat down quietly and the color of his face was no longer cheerful like the minutes ago when the guys had joked. Each member knew the girl was no other than Kate who visited Mark 2 years ago. Kate no longer looked the same because she grew up with more style in her clothes and hair. She had become an even more beautiful woman than the high school girl years ago. The encounter was spine-chilling because Mark felt the coldness of his pain. He listened to his heart thump through his ears, vibrating his lungs as he breathed.


I stormed out with Rena locked next to me. I didn't feel the tears streaming down my face until Rena pointed at me, wiping some away with her sleeves. She dried them away, not worrying if my make up smeared into her pink, H&M sweater. I smiled through it removing her hand from my face to reassure her that I was no longer crying.

"Hey, what happened back there? And....you're crying...why?"

"I accidentally bumped into the waiter."

"You can't be crying because of that accident." Her brows arched finding it hard to believe. Her eyes zoomed into the cardigan that was wrapped around me. "Isn't that Got7's Mark's?"

It was clear to say she knew her idols, but she wasn't overly-obsessed with any. Rena knew who her celebrities were yet she wasn't one to spazz and go crazt for autographs and pictures.

"Yeah."

She winked at me, "Well, aren't you lucky?"

Luck isn't on my side at all. I ran into Mark in the randomest place when I wasn't even ready to come in contact with him.

"If I was as lucky as you say, I wouldn't have gotten water all over me," I argued my point.

She bombarded me with questions why I cried and why Mark and I seemed awkward. Being consistent with interrogations, I kept steering away from answers. Rena threatened to have me sleep on the floor if I didn't clarify my case. As we walked back to campus, I took the time to explain my friendship with Mark and what had happened to us which resulted in our separation until theis day. Being a good listener, Rena made me feel as if my shoulders unloaded some weight. Her nods were enough for me. I didn't need words of comfort or pity. She remained calm and cool about it all.

"Well, he's Got7's Mark so it wouldn't be hard to find him if you want to talk to him. The only hard part may be that meeting him isn't as simple."

The problem wasn't that it was going to be difficult to find or meet him. The problem is that he's Got7's Mark. I've lost my Mark years ago and that is unchangable now. It's shown in his gaze when he saw me at the restaraunt. His expression revealed him to be startled with a coverage of dissappointment and hate like I had stopped his perfect world in the midst of spending. I saw the way his lips quivered and his hands clenched as if he had a string of hurtful words to tell me.


"Come on, Mark. Let's try to get the flip right this time," Jackson encouraged his partner as they went over the twists in mid-air they were assigned.

The rest stood dancing the choreography in the background. With so much steps to recall and the remembrance of Kate, Mark found it hard to focus. On the other hand, he thought of Cecilia too and it was causing him to crash. Hitting all the beats flawlessly, it came to the part that he and Jackson had to perform their martial-art tricking. Jackson accomplished ever turn and step, but Mark tumbled to the ground after flying and he landed to hard on his right ankle. He groaned in pain, curled up in a fetal position. He clenched his teeth together trying to hold himself from screaming. The group huddled around him as Youngjae went to go call the manager.

"Mark, where does it hurt?" JB, the caring leader asked.

Wincing from the pain, Mark tried his ebst to tell him. "My-my ankle."

"We're getting you help. Hold on, bro." Jackson was reassuring the injured male.

 

 

Mark was now sitting in the small clinic that connected to the JYP building, his ankle bandaged with Ace wraps. He ruffled through his hair at how careless he was being and not paying attention to his rehearsal. He's never hurt himself this much ever since his debut, so it was quite surprising for himself and everyone else. Mark was one of the talented ones who mastered his flips like peeling a banana, easy. His manager had told him to rest as much as he could which means he'll be out of the next 2 upcoming concerts and showcases since the doctor said he had to take a month off. It didn't completely cut him off of his career, but performing was the fun part and he had to be excluded. All he could do now was attend fan meetings and radio recordings which he was mostly quiet at. He hoped to sort out his personal and work matters during his time off, especially the matter that involved Kate. It's not easy to avoid wanting to talk to her knowing she's so close in the area. He found himself wanting to meet her again and possibly talk with words and not eyes.

 

Cecilia stumbles into the room with concern over her face. "Mark, I always told you to be careful. Maybe you shouldn't do tricks anymore. It's too dangerous-"

Her unsettling tone made Mark react selfishly. He stole her lips to quiet her worries. "I'm fine. Look." He pointed at his angelic face.

The kiss made Cecilia forget that she was overreacting. She leaned in for one more of their affectionate connection. "You are one strong person. That's why I like you the most."

She helped him up with his crutches and away they went to the boys' dorm to get Mark settled in bed to rest. It was no doubt that sleep was also what Mark needed. Physically and mentally, he was overworked.


We were sitting in a Korean History class listening to the lecture that was given by Mr. Bae. I was listening and sounding out words as I spelled the Korean characters I've been learning. It was stressing me out, but I had to get it right. The desire to understand it fully was the number one goal of mine so I wouldn't struggle so much in my classes. It'd make school here much easier. I was feeling proud after looking over the notes I took, but Rena poked me with her pencil.

"What do you want, Rena?" I whispered, a bit annoyed by her distraction.

"Look at Meng over there, he keeps staring at you." She kept teasing about the other foreign exchange student who came from Taiwan.

"No, he's not." I refused to believe her.

Meng came to Korea through the same program that I was offered. The only difference was that he's from Taiwan, but I did hear him explain to some classmates that he was born in New York. His looks were 10 points out of 10 and his knowledge was jaw-dropping. He read a lot and studied like a maniac, but he did not look like the typical nerd. His style of clothes was clean and well-fitted. His clean-cut hair sometimes was gelled upwards or if not, they'd fall down perfectly above his eyes. His height and body structure was built and masculine, but not too much. It was obvious he cared of his health because he prepared healthy, organic food and never really went out to eat with the class unless it was his cheat day. When Rena and I would attempt to incooperate gym into our schedule, we found him always there lifting weight and running the treadmill. His smile was also a bonus, making the ladies swoon. Meng was humble regardless of his attractive looks and pure character. Meng Hong is his full name. As I continue to see him in class and at gatherings, I felt the butterflies kick. He never turned a blind eye to me.

 

As soon as class was over, Rena and I strolled down the hallway, but someone caught up to us.

"Hey, Rena. Hi, Kate, right?" God, his smile.

Rena waved and I greeted him back. Rena felt the need to push me in the center so that she'd stand beside me as I stood next to the male.

"I'm Meng. I know we see each other around a lot, but we never speak so I thought I'd break the ice." He was too kind.

"Nice to finally meet you properly."

"May I walk with you two?" He asked for permission, unlike creepers.

Rena turned back, "Actually, you two go ahead. I have to go get my textbooks at the library."

I glared at Rena for her dumb excuse to leave Meng and I alone, but I ended up smiling after. I motioned for Meng and I to continue walking towards the university cafeteria. We talked and learnt of one another's education and passion. He then told me he was born and raised in New York before he moved back to Taiwan after middle school. Meng openly shared of how he desired to become a pharmacist, but later changed his dream to become a teacher and why. It was interesting to hear him speak of medicine. I could still see that he had a chance with medicine if he changes his mind again with his dream. He admitted that he was still debating between the two and the reason he took part in this program was to see if teaching overseas was really for him. It almost felt like a confession of dreams for us because I ended up telling him that I wanted to become a nurse, but I found the courses boring and dreadful. He laughed at me of course. Meng was so smart with every subject that he could honestly change his major and dreams as many times as he wanted and it wouldn't matter. He'd still get a high salary job in whatever he chose because his math and science skills were topping off the board. He helped me forget the stress of school and life without trying very hard.

 

Sometimes we meet people who remind us what the meaning of life is because they are actually living theirs.

So here are some photos that come close to how I picture Meng to be. (The real name of this person is Peter S. Adrian who I found on Instagram @petersadrian . He's soooooo HANDSOME!)  **SHOUTOUT TO @JimiNielle98** :D

Author's Note: Another update today! :D I have added links of songs to the chapters that I encourage you all to listen to when reading each chapter. It sets the mood and defines the chapter a bit. So, if you already read the recent chapters, you should go back and listen to the heartfelt songs ;) hehehe. Enjoy once again my 70V3LY READERS! <3