Losing My Seoul-mate

Distance Means Hello (Sequel)

It was the last week for me in Seoul. I was leaving soon and yet, I was starting to feel like I really needed to conclude things with Mark so that I will be able to leave peacefully and hopefully leave everything from the past behind. It has been almost a week since Meng left and he's been telling me to wait for him. I wasn't sure what he was referring to, but I abided. Maybe he was talking about waiting for him to visit me in the States, but I guess it could be interpretted in many ways. Maybe it was much deeper. Ever since the incident in the alleyway, Mark has kept his distance. I really wish he didn't though, because I wanted us to feel comfortable with each other again, but it was the best for us if somewhere inside of him was still fighting for me.

 

My phone rang and I picked up. It was Meng.

"Hello?"

"Hi, how are you?"

"Okay, just slowly getting my things together before I leave too."

"That's good." Meng was easy-going. "How are things with you and Mark?"

"He hasn't talked to me."

"Talk to him then."

"Why are you suggesting that?"

"Because I know you want to....c'mon, do you really want to lose his as a friend?"

I breathed, "I think I've already lost him."

The entire time, we didn't even talk about us. We talked about Mark. Meng was trying so hard to persuade me to talk to Mark as if he was pushing me over to Mark's side. It was uncomfortable, but I didn't know why he was acting such way. 

"Kate, you knoe you mean a lot to me, right?"

"Yes, you always tell me. You mean a lot to me too." I reassured him.

"You think so? I'm not so sure..." His voice was low and questionable. He sounded down all of a sudden.

"Meng, are you doubting me?"

"No, I'm just questioning you if you are sure 100%."

"Look, we are in this relationship together, aren't we? Tha means you matter to me a lot."

He sighed, "I hope you're sure about that and not just going with the motion because we are dating."

This was the first time he was second-guessing me. Why can't he feel secure that my feelings for him is sincere?


 

"Bro, Kate is leaving soon, don't mess up this time." Jackson patted Mark's back.

The boys were in the dorm after a sweaty practice. Everyone was aware of Mark's undying feelings now after he told them that Cecilia and him had ended. They all were a bit unprepared for the details, but Mark felt the need to tell s since they're his number one supporters and listeners. Jackson was right. Mark knew he had to at least be there for her departure this time even if sheonec again rejects his feelings. He made a promise with himself that if she declines his interest for her this time around, he was going to do all that he can to move on and let go. He realized he couldn't wait forever.

Jr looked at Mark, "You got this. We are right behind you on this."

The rest lifted their fists into mid-air and mouthed, "Fighting."

 

 

Later that night, Mark received a call with the area code from somewhere in Taiwan. It couldn't be any of his family members who lived there because he had their numbers saved, so who could this be? Thinking little of it, he answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mark. This is Meng. Are you busy?"

 

What they discussed was shocking. Meng couldn't believe he had the guts in him to say all that he did. Mark too, was overwhelmed by what he was told. During that call, one lost and one won. While on the line, Meng asked for a favor and Mark agreed. It was all coming down from here for the both of them.


 

Yerin came and sat down by me while I was on my laptop.

"So Yugyeom told me Mark wanted to see you tonight."

"Really? I haven't heard of anything from Mark." I typed away not really caring for the reason why.

"You guys should meet. What if it's something urgent or important."

"If it is, I'm sure Mark would barge into the dorm." I chuckled.

"Unnie, call him."

"Yerin, I really have no reason to. If he wants to talk, he should call me. I clearly have nothing to say to him so I don't want to make the move." It felt like I was a young teenager again, playing the push-and-pull game with some guy that liked me.

 

Just after that short talk, my phone vibrated. I looked and saw the caller ID as Mark's.

"Don't say I didn't tell you." Yerin winked and left to her room.

That instant, I felt the need to prepare myself. I cleared my throat and pulled my hair to one side.

"H-hello?"

"Come to the Han River bridge in 5 minutes."

"Mark, it's late and dark out, I don't want to."

"Don't make me wait long, okay? See you in a bit."

He hung up after. I knew I wanted to talk to him, but something in me was holding me back. Maybe because I still felt like meeting Mark was betraying Meng although he really didn't mind. But still. I decided I had to call and let Meng know first just so I wouldn't lose his trust. I waited and waited for him to answer, but that didn't happen. I called a second time and it just kept going to voicemail. Concluding that it wasn't going to happen, I put on a sweater and left to the meeting spot. For some odd reason, I felt my palms sweating. Why? It was only going to be Mark. As I got closer to the area near the bridge that presented the river ahead, I could see the silouhette of a man standing with his back facing me.

"Mark, what is it that you want to talk at this hour?" Not to mention, it was almost 11pm.

He didn't answer me. Right when he turned, I knew why he didn't answer to my calling. It wasn't Mark.

Somehow, tears found their ways into my eyes. As much as I wanted to run up to the man, I felt stuck in place. It was unbelievable.

"Wh-what are you doing here?" I managed to whisper.

"Well, are you not happy to see me?" His chuckle made my heart jump and dip.

 

It was Meng. Wait...........why did Mark call me to meet him here if it was Meng instead?

 

"I am happy to see you. I'm just so surprised." I ran into his open arms and I got to smell his familiar scent. I felt so warm and everything about Mark escaped my mind. "Mark called for me to come out here to meet him, I hope you're not mad." I confessed.

"Will you relax? Meeting Mark isn't a big deal to me. Plus, he helped me plan this out so that I could meet you."

"What?"

"Yeah, so you should thank him." His warm smile was to die for. Just in that second, I felt him pull back and soon enough, he had his back turned towards me again as he leaned on the railing. Something felt wrong although him being here felt so right.

I let the silence linger for awhile. I was mentally asking myself when did Meng fly back to Seoul and when was going to leave. So many questions were jogging through my mind. It was like such a tease to have him here again knowing he was going to leave some time soon as well as myself. Seoul felt like it was only going ot be our meeting place.

"Kate, I actuallycame back to talk to you in person. I know it would be hard to just communicate through text or call."

"Can you just stay with me forever?" I pouted. He laughed. It was cute.

"Can you not be so adorable so I can focus.....on what I need to say?" He sounded serious after stretching the word 'need'.

He continued, "I spoke with Mark." He swallowed. "He loves you, Kate."

I had to stop him, "Can we stop talking about Mark? Now that you are hear, can we focus on us? I just completely forgot about him and it was going just fine seconds ago until you brought up him again." I was getting irritated.

"So you've been thinking of him?"

I cursed at myself for making me sound so bad. "Meng..."

"Why does it boher you so much when I talk about Mark?" He asked me, half as irritated as me.

"Because..." I breathed, "Because I don't want to remember anything about him. Okay?"

"Kate, it's because no matter how hard you try to forget him, you can't. Because of that, I've been thinking...maybe it's best if we....you know....go our own ways...you'll be far away from me and so will I be far away from you. Though our distance may not determine our hearts, I know Mark will always be closer. All this time, Mark is still on your mind. We both know that. I feel like...I've only been your distraction to take away your attention from Mark, but once I'm not there, I know for a fact he always found his way into you thoughts."

Why did Meng make it sound so right? How could he see all this and I not see any of this? My heart was stomped over and tore apart when he mentioned us going our own ways. I was so overjoyed to see him here, but his reason to come was the worst I've ever heard. He came all this way here to tell me in person that it was ebst to separate. How was this going to be the best decision considering it was wrecking my entire body? I was so angry, but the way he addressed it was so careful as if it wasn't really what he wanted.

"Meng, I don't want that. Did you say you'd fight for me?" I began to weep. "You said you'd fight for me!" I yelled as I punched his chest with my weak fists.

I could see he was also on the verge of crying, but he held it all in probably to prove to me that he wasn't going to look powerless in front of me.

"I know, but I'm sorry I don't think I can't keep that promise. It hurts too much."

"Please, Meng. Don't leave." I held tightly onto his thin jacket.

His hands collided with mine. "Isn't it okay to sometimes stop trying because it hurts too much?"

His question made me punch his chest more. He stood there motionless, letting me hit him until he pulled me into a hug. I was still squirming in his embrace, until I felt all my energy left my body. He placed a kiss on my forehead. "Kate, I've never felt this way about anyone else and it drives me crazy."

"Stay with me." I was so desperate for him to take back his decision.

He leaned back and shook his head. I swear I saw him wipe some tears. "Go, Mark is waiting for you." He motioned his gaze to the other end of the bridge indicating that Mark was over there. He looked at his watch, "I just flew in 2 hours ago, but I need to catch the next flight back to Taiwan in an hour."

So, he didn't even come to stay long. His intention was only to come here and break up with me. Oh my god, I don't think I even have a heart anymore after having it damaged.

"M-Meng, I'll send you to the airport."

He stopped me from following him, "Don't worry about it. JB will be sending me. Go, Mark is waiting for you." He looked into the direction he did earlier again.

I couldn't let him slip. I can't. I ran to him and gave him a tight back hug. I cried harder knowing it was really going to end here. Or at least, it was going to end here for him whereas in my heart, if I still had one, he was still living there. I could feel his heavy breathing. I could tell it took a lot in him to rip my hands off his torso. Without turning back, he got into the black car that was parked in the corner, leaving to the aiprort back to Taiwan. My knees fell to the ground as I watch the car drift futher down the road. I then remember Mark. He was the end of the bridge. I could see his figure running towards me. As soon as he reached me, he bent down to my level.

"Kate, let me help you up." He lent his hand, but I pushed it away. As I got on my feet, I slapped him across the cheek. I was taken aback by what I did, but I felt it was deserving.

"Don't come near me. It's because of YOU that's why Meng left me. It's all YOUR fault. Haven't you messed up my life enough? Why must you disturb the little peace and happiness I have in me? You are the WORST person ever, Mark Tuan. You are SELFISH. You destroy everything in your path only thinking of what makes you happy. Why don't you think about those around you who you've affected? You broke my heart when I first thought you were the one I truly liked more than a best friend, you acted so coldly. You broke Cecilia's heart for chasing after our past. You broke my heart for pulling Meng apart. Even worst, you also broke Meng's heart for forcing him to stay away from me!"

"Kate-I...I didn't mean to hurt anyone-"

"But you did hurt all of us. You know Mark, just because you're hurting doesn't mean everyone also has to endure the same pain!"

"Kate-listen to me..."

"You planned my break up, right?" He was quiet. "I knew it." I heaved. "I was hoping we could at least be friends, but you just ruined everything."

"Wait-"

"Don't think just because Meng and I are over, you have every right to come after me. That's a cold move."

I ran my way back to the dorm and the girls saw my miserable state. I couldn't explain it to them just yet, but that didn't stop them from comforting me. I really lost my Seoul-mate, the sweet young man you I met in Seoul left me forever to be in Taiwan. It would be adnormal not to bawl my eyes out.


 

While on the plane, Meng let his tears fall. He held them in too long. The conversation that he had with Mark on the phone flashedback.

 

"Hey Mark. This is Meng. Are you busy?"

"Not necessarily, what's up?"

"You truly are fighting for Kate, aren't you?"

"Why are you asking me that?"

"Because I know you are the guy who loves Kate. Am I right?"

"I'm sorry Meng. I just can't help it." He admitted.

"I know. It must be torture for you to see her with me, but I have decided..."

"What is it?"

"I'll let her go."

"What?"

"Whether she chooses you or not, I'll still let her go. It's your chance to go after her."

"Are you sure?"

"Is it not what you want?"

"I mean, I don't want you to regret this."

"I'll just have to learn to be okay with it, I guess."

"Meng you don't have to do this-"

"You win this. If you want to claim the victory, pick me up at the airport in 30 minutes and call for Kate to come meet you at the bridge. I'll be there to meet her and end it for us. From there, I'll just catch the next flight home. Got it?"

"I don't think-"

"Please don't make this any harder. Just listen and do as I say."

 

Meng spoke to himself as the plane lifted into the air and all he could see was the lights from the city he was leaving for good. "We were only meant to meet here in Seoul and spend some short time together. If I knew it was going to end like this, I wouldn't have asked for a chance to be yours. I would never want to hurt you, but I did. Forgive me, Kate. I love you...."

 

Author's Note: Hello my 70V3LY readers! I see all your guys' heart-moving comments and they empower me so much! Thank you! This is to inform you all that the ending is coming up soon. I hope you all are enjoying this story just as much as I'm enjoying writing it. It's a tad bit heart-breaking, but I want to make this as realistic as possible. ^^