Karen and the lawyer’s Past

The Comfort

“Kim?” Karen called in a low voice.

               “She’s already sleeping.” Pie answered.

               “Is everything alright?” Karen asked.

               “I think so.” Pie answered.

               “Let’s go to my office, we need to talk.”

               Pie nodded and they both left the room.

               Mariz was sitting on the sofa in Karen’s room thinking.  She stood up quickly when she heard footsteps from the door. Then the door opened,

               “Mariz, please give us something to drink.” Karen commanded.

               “What do you want to drink madam?” Mariz asked.

               “What do you want, Pie?”  Karen asked.

               “Any will do.”  Pie answered.

               “Just surprise us.” Karen said to Mariz.

               “Okay, madam.” Mariz left the office.

               “Come sit with me.”  Karen asked Pie.

               They seated on the sofa.  Karen held Pie’s hand.

               “What is it?”  Pie asked.

               “Tomorrow we will transfer to the hotel.  Kim is not safe here anymore.” Karen said.

               “What’s really happening, Karen? I’m worried.  Please tell me.”  Pie asked.

               “Okay.”

               Mariz came back with a bottle of champagne and two glasses.

               “Thank you, Mariz.  You can rest now.”  Karen said.

               “Thank you, madam.  Good night.”  Mariz left them.

               “I really don’t know who’s behind all of this.  From the night, the bomb?  The lawyer we fought with?  The police said they found him dead in the club but I don’t believed until know.

“Why?”

“When I got out from the hospital, I wanted to see his body but they said his family already took him and buried him.

“Where?”

“I don’t know.  All I know he don’t have a family.  He even doesn’t know his relatives.  His parents died when he was still three years old here in Phuket.  They were on a vacation actually.  His parents were killed on a yacht.  He was only left alive.  He was sent to the orphanage then my father adopted him, took care of him and supported his education until he became a lawyer.  My father made him as corporate lawyer in all his businesses.”

               “So you grew up together?” Pie asked.

               “Yes, we grew up together.  We were lovers before, but when I found out that he only love me because of money, I dumped him on the moment he asked me to marry him.  My father was angry when I refused to marry him, I ran away.  Then I found this man, Kim’s father.  He loved me the way I am.  We got married.  One morning, he left for work then he never came back.  I went back to my father, he accepted me and Kim.”

               “What happened to the lawyer when you came back with a child and what his name?”

               “His name is Pak.  He was still there.  But he was changed.  He became arrogant. He was still asking me to marry him but I still refused. My father got angry again but I explained to him why I refused.  I said to him the real reason.  At last, he listened.  He was mad at the lawyer and fired him.  My dad changed everything, the will, and the contracts.  When my father planned to retire, he will give his all of his businesses to me in some conditions.”

               “Conditions?”

               “If I hide Kim from the people and I will pretend that I’m still single and Kim was my adopted child.”

               “So you accepted your Dad’s conditions.”

               “Yes, I love my father very much.  He was already old for managing businesses and as long Kim’s future is set.”

               “That’s why Kim lives here not living with you in Bangkok because….”

               “Yes, Pie.”

               “But Kim loves this place.  Her life is in here, she’s not disappointed with you.”

               “Yes, Pie.  When Dad gave his all of his businesses to me, I secretly hired Pak because I was afraid to handle the business first.  I promised him to give some of the businesses when I retired.  But I found out that he was doing something bad, he was trying to get some of the businesses under the table.  He thought I don’t know about his doings and that night, the tragedy, he was mad because the businesses he thought that he already got but he was wrong.  I gave all the businesses to Kim and to whomever she wants to spend rest of her life.  I’m so sorry, Pie, for bringing you all of these.”

               “It’s okay and it’s happening already.  We have to stay safe and fight for Kim.”

               “Do you love my daughter, Pie?”

               Pie didn’t answer.

               “No need to answer that.  I know you’re confused but I’m still thankful that you are here for my daughter.”

               “You are welcome, Karen.”