The initials

The Comfort

“I wonder who’s KCB?”  Pie said to herself lying on her bed.  Her phone rang, it was her secretary.

               “Hello ma’am.  I forgot to tell you, while you were in the board meeting, there was a mail for you. “

               “Okay, I’ll read that tomorrow.  Thank you, Denise and good night.”

               “Good night ma’am.”

               Pie turned off the light and went to sleep.

 

               Pie saw Kim outside her unit.  “Kim? Where have you been?”  Pie asked.

               Kim didn’t answer.

               “I’m so glad I see you.  It’s been a long time.”

               Kim just smiled.

               “Say anything, Kim.” Pie asked.

               Kim still didn’t answer but she grabbed Pie’s hand tightly.

               “What are you doing Kim? I’m hurt.”

               Kim opened her tried to say something.

               “What do you want Kim?”  Pie asked.

               “Help me, Pie.”

               “What?”

               “Help me, find me, please.”  Kim said and disappeared.

               “Kim!”  Pie woke up.  “Kim?  Where are you Kim?”

 

               Pie went to her office earlier.  She saw the letter on top of her table.  The letter was from Phuket.  She was requested to attend the commemoration of the Phuket tragedy.

               “It’s been a year already. I miss you Jane.”  Pie said looking at Jane’s picture on her shelf.

               “Good morning, ma’am.  Oh you read the letter already.”

               “Thank you, Denise.  Have you seen the CEO?”

               “Yes ma’am.  She’s in her office just now.”

               “Thank you, I need to talk to her.”  She saw the delivery man brought roses.  “Denise, I leave you with that man.”  Pointing the delivery man.

               “Okay, ma’am.”

               Pie went to the CEO office.  The CEO was reading a newspaper facing the window.

               “Good morning boss.”  Pie greeted.

               The CEO turned her chair to Pie.  “Yes, Miss Pie.  What can I do for you?”

               “I received a letter from Phuket.  It’s about the tragedy….”

               “Yes, it’s okay.  You can attend.  I received that letter too.”

               “You will go too, boss?”  Pie asked.

               “Of course not, you are required to go, so go.”

               “Okay boss.  I’ll leave tomorrow.”

               “Okay, don’t stay there long.  I only give you two days.”

               Pie nodded and left the office.

              

               Pie went back to her office and the bundle of roses again on her table but with a long envelope.

               “This is different now, ma’am.  This is not just a note anymore.”  Her secretary said.

               “Call the team, we’re going to have a meeting here.”  Pie commanded.

               “Yes, ma’am.”  Her secretary went back to her table.

               Pie opened the envelope; it was a plane ticket to Phuket and a hotel reservation.

               “I think this KCB is a stalker.  He knows everything about me.  I’ll grab these.”  Pie smiled.

              

               Her team arrived in her office and greeted her good morning.  Pie nodded and commanded them to take their seats.

               “Okay, I have something to tell you.  Tomorrow is the anniversary of the Phuket tragedy.  I am requested to attend as one of the survivors.  The CEO allowed me to go because it is required.  I’ll be gone for two days only.  So, I’ll check you work when I get back.”

               “What’s that on your hand, Pie?”  Her office friend asked pointing using the rolled newspaper.

               “It’s the airline ticket.” Pie answered and saw the initials on the newspaper. “May I see that newspaper?” Pie asked.

               Her office friend gave the newspaper.  Pie saw the KCB letters on the picture below the headline carved on the golden chair where the woman seated wearing sunglasses with the press around her.        

               “Thai Business Woman is on the Top 10 most influential woman in the world?”  Pie read the title of the report.  “Just the coincidence, this is another person.”

               “Do you still need that newspaper, Pie?”  Her friend asked.

               “Just a second.”  Pie looked for the name of the woman on the newspaper but there was no name on it.  “What happened to the journalism nowadays?  They can report now without the names of their subject.  There you go.”  She gave back the newspaper to her friend.

               Pie went to her table and opened the reports on her table.  She read all the reports and after that the initials went to her mind again.  She called her secretary.

               “Yes, ma’am?”

               “Have you read the newspaper today?”

               “Yes, ma’am.  Why?”

               “Have you read about the Top 10 most influential women?”

               “Yes, ma’am.  One of them is from our country.”

               “Do you know her?”

               “Actually no but my mom told me almost owned all businesses here in Bangkok and some also to the other countries.  She helped a lot of people like giving jobs and education to the less fortunate children.”

               “Do you know her name?”

               “No, they keep their names secret for protection.”

               They heard the phone rang on the secretary’s table.

               “Excuse me, ma’am.  I have to answer the call.”

               Pie nodded.  She stood and walked around the office and took Jam’s picture on the shelf and tried to remember their last moments in Phuket.  She remembered Kim’s eyes then she remembered her dream last night that Kim was asking her help.  “Where are you Kim?”

               “Ma’am, are you okay?”  Her secretary asked.

               “Yes.”  Pie nodded.

               “The CEO called, she said you can go home early so that you can pack for your trip tomorrow.”

               “Okay, thank you.”