The tragedy

The Comfort

Pie and Jam went to the same club where Jam and Kim first met.  Van and Jane were already there waiting beside the dance floor sitting at the led cube lighting chair.  Pie noticed that they were only few people inside the club.

               “I’ll get drinks girls.”  Van left the table.

               “Jane, why only few people here?” Pie asked.

               “This club is exclusive only for rich peeps only.  What you see here, they are big time people.” Jane answered.

               “Who’s the owner of this club?”  Jam asked.

               “I am.”  Van answered with bartender holding a tray with margaritas.

               “This whole place?”  Jam asked.

               “Not only this, I have two more here in Phuket.”  Van answered.

               “How about you Jane?” Jam asked.

               “Just two shopping centers, three hotels and resorts at the south.”  Jane answered.

               Meena arrived.  “Where’s Kim?” Looking at Pie from head to foot and seated beside Jane.

               “You know Kim, always late.” Jane answered.

              

               The DJ played one of his best remixes that made people shouting and danced on the dance floor.

               “Come on guys lets the party started!”  Jane shouted.

               “Everybody stood and danced on the dance floor.”

               Pie was looking around looking for Kim.  Meena too, she was looking up at the balconies around maybe Kim was there looking at them.

               “Where is Kim?” Jam asked Jane.

               Jane and Van shook their heads.

               “I think she’s here.”  Meena said pointing at the balconies.

              

               They heard a gunshot at one of the balconies in the club but the most people on the dance floor didn’t noticed and the others thought it was part of their special effects.  Pie felt something bad.

               “Jam, I felt something bad.”  Pie said.

               “We’re on party Pie.  We have to enjoy the night.  We’re leaving tomorrow.”  Jam said.

               “Jam’s right Pie.  Kim will be here.”  Puey said.

               Meena raised her eyebrows.

              

               Pie heard another gunshot again.  She looked up at one of the balconies.  She saw someone threw a bag from the balcony to the dance floor on the spot where they were dancing.  Pie saw someone running toward her and the bag exploded.  The great force of the bomb threw them away.

              

               “Where am I? Jam?”  Pie woke up heard her ears were ringing and she saw people were panic at the hospital.

               “It’s okay, you’ll be alright?”  The nurse held her hand while watching at the dextrose beside her.

               “What happened?” Pie asked and she felt pain on her arm and head.

               “There was a blast and it’s better if you don’t talk miss.”

               “Where’s Jam?”  Pie started to panic.

               “We will find her.  Don’t worry everything will be alright.” The nurse injected something on the hose.

               Pie started to close her eyes.

 

               Pie woke up by the other patient crying in the room.  The body was all wrapped by bandages, looked like a mummy but not dead.  Pie understood what her roommate felt because that what she felt too, too much pain.  The nurse came to their room to check them.

               “Excuse me.  Can I ask something?” Pie asked.

               “Yes?” The nurse answered.

               “How many days I’ve been here?”

               “Three days.”

               “What? I was with my friend.  Have you found her?”

               “I don’t know ma’am.”

               “How many survived the blast?”

               “Only ten ma’am.”

 

               “Is she one at the blast?”  Pointing at the other patient.

               “Yes.”

               “So there are more eight survivors, I hope my friends are one of them.”

               “The police will come here to investigate.  They will ask you for sure.”

               “Okay.  Thank you.”

               Pie looked at the other patient was still crying.  “Did the drug won’t work on her?”

               “Yes, we already gave her higher dosage but still won’t work.”

               “Too bad.”

               “I have to go now.”

               “Thank you.”

               The left.  Pie was trying to get up to move closer to the other patient but she can’t.

               “Maybe tomorrow.”  Pie said to herself and closed her eyes.

 

               Pie heard her mother’s voice.  “Mom?”  She opened her eyes.

               “Thank God, you’re okay.”  Her mom worried.

               “How did you come here?”

               “I heard from the news and the company called us too about you and Jam.  They asked me to go to the company first before I came here.  I’m sorry about Jam, Pie.”

               “What?  I don’t understand, mom.  Where’s Jam?”  Pie asked.

               “She died on the blast.” Her mom answered.

               Pie started to cry.  “How come?  I was beside her on the blast mom.”

               “I’m sorry, Pie.”

              

The police came to ask some questions to Pie.

 

               “We would like to ask some questions about the incident miss.”

               Pie nodded.

               “Can you tell us about what happened that night?  Tell us what you saw or observed around the club before the bomb exploded. ”

               “It was almost 12 midnight; we were dancing in the middle of the dance floor.  I was tipsy that time.  I was dancing with my best friend Jane and our new friends just met here.  I heard a gunshot at the balcony then I looked at the people around, they didn’t notice the gunshot and we thought it was just their special effects so continue dancing.  I heard a gunshot again, I looked up, I saw people running at the balcony right above the DJ and I saw someone threw a bag.” Pie started to cry.

“Please continue.”

“The bag fell at Van’s back, the owner of the club. He was dancing with us.  The bag was about to touch the floor, I saw someone running toward me.  It was a man, he pulled me and the bomb exploded.”

“Pulled you to where?”

“I don’t know.”

               “Okay, miss.  I want to tell you that you and this woman,” pointing to the other patient, “were the only survivors that were standing near and on the dance floor.”

               “So you mean, all my friends were all….”

               “Yes, miss.  I am sorry.  It was kind of miracle that you survived and you got only these.” Pointing her head and arm.

               “Really?”

               “Someone saved your life and I think that someone pulled you to protect you.”

               “Do you know who was that someone?’

               “No, we don’t know.”

               Pie nodded.

               “I guess that’s all miss.  Thank you for your time and I’m sorry about your names.”

               “Thank you.”

               The policemen left the room.

 

               “I’m sorry about Jane, Pie.” Her mom said.

               Pie nodded and looked at the other patient in the room crying.

 

               Her mom left to get some food and clothes on that day.  Pie and the other patient left in the room.  The other patient was crying so Pie tried to stand to move closer the patient.

               “I know what you feel.  It’s really painful but we have to be strong.  We have to be strong for our family, our loved ones who are asking and praying so hard for us to get well and their prayers won’t work if we don’t do something.  Don’t worry, as long as I am still here, I’ll talk to you, and take care for you.  I lost my friends and I hope we can be friends.  Do you like that?  You and I in this room become friends for life?”

               The nurse came in, “It’s time for your med ma’am.”

               “Can I do this? Stand, walk and talk to her?”

               “Yes, ma’am.”

 

               From then on, Pie helped the patient to cope the pain by talking, sitting next to her, watching TV together.

               Of course Pie did all the talk.  She shared about her family, work, dreams, friends, crushes, places she’d been, and also she shared about Kim but most of the time, Kim.  Pie noticed when she mentioned Kim’s name, the patient smiled.

 

               “I really want to be a writer.  I became an accountant because of my parents’ dream.  I already gave them what they want for me but still I can’t follow what my heart really wanted because being an accountant is the only way to make my parents happy and I don’t want to break their hearts.  I really started writing a book but I can’t finish because of my work.”  Pie said.

               The patient tried raised her fingers and open .  Pie stood up and looked happily at the patient. She tried to read the patient’s lips.

               “You should write.  Follow what’s in your heart.”  Pie read the patient’s lips.

               “I want to maybe not now. I will write soon and you will buy my book.”  Pie nodded and smiled.

               The patient smiled.

               The doctor and nurse came in.

               “Miss, it’s time to take your medicine and you should go back to your bed now.”  The nurse said.

               Pie nodded and went to her bed.

               “How’s your feeling now?  Do you still feel the pain?”  The doctor asked to Pie.

               “A little bit Doc but its fine.”  Pie answered.

               “Good.”  The doctor said and went to the other patient.

               “She raised her fingers and tried to talk to me, Doc.”  Pie said.

               “Very good.  Nurse, give her the medicine now.”

               The nurse nodded.