1. The Light at the End of the Tunnel

Guardian Angel

Every time Jonghyun went to speak he would turn and smile at him, causing him to forget he was going to ask anything. As they neared the city Jonghyun felt nervous. He was in Heaven, was he going to meet God? Was he dead? Of course he had to be, why else would he be in Heaven; but why was he in Hell earlier? He shuddered at the thought of being back there.

The man gave his hand a tight squeeze as if he knew how he was feeling.

As they drew near the city Jonghyun could make out a large gate, he nearly laughed at the cliché of “pearly white gates” but thought better of it and tried to hold it in. The man gave him a knowing smile.

Jonghyun looked at his surroundings and noticed that off to his left was a large body of water, to his right was a large wall with a dark tunnel.

He could see people entering the tunnel, people hugging, further up the path he could see people walking towards him, he turned man head to look behind him and people were walking the same path he was. Everyone was in twos.

As he looked to his left again he could see people walking by the water, further out were people in small rowing boats.

He chewed his lip as he tried to find the meaning of everything and it was all too soon that they were standing in front of those gates, and sure enough they looked pearly. The man bowed his head as a man who looked to be in his early thirties cleared man throat at the podium next to the gates. Jonghyun followed the man’s lead and bowed his head as well. Jonghyun felt nervous as the man stepped down and walked over. Like the man he was wearing a simple robe, except his was a soft white.

“Jonghyun this is Tabelel.” The man said letting his hand go and moving off to the side. Jonghyun immediately gave a ninety degree bow and offered his hand which Tabelel took and shook as he gave his own bow while laughing.

“I’m still not used to how other cultures greet .” Tabelel said as he clapped his hand on Jonghyun’s back and lead him to a small silver podium, “I believe he hasn’t told you where you are has he?”

Jonghyun looked at the man and he shook his head and stayed silent, he looked back to Tabelel who opened a small tan book and flipped through the pages. “I’m in Heaven right?”

The man continued flipping through the pages and shook his head. “Not exactly, you are in Heaven but you’ve yet to fully enter Heaven. “

Jonghyun nodded as he pretended to understand.

“Ah finally I’ve found it,” Tabelel straightened out the page and scanned it quickly, “Kim Jonghyun, age fifteen; cause of death, car accident.”

Jonghyun felt sick to his stomach and as he looked at the man he could tell that he was very upset. Jonghyun wanted to hug him and tell him it was okay, that he shouldn’t be upset.

Tabelel sighed and slammed the book shut. “However it isn’t your time yet, you were collected too early, most likely a mistake in his order scroll.” Jonghyun frowned and looked up to the man.

“Mistake in his order scroll?” He asked trying to stop his shaking.

“Well I wouldn’t have expected you to know. He’s your guardian angel, he watches over you, protects you from danger, and in the end collects you when you die.” Jonghyun hadn’t expected him to be so blunt, and all he could do was stand there looking at the man.

As their eyes met he quickly looked to the ground; Jonghyun could feel that he was ashamed.

“You’ll have to go back, we’re not ready for you just yet young man.” Tabelel smiled and the man ushered Jonghyun off towards the path as another duo arrived. A boy who looked to be in his teens was holding the hand of a little girl, he was wearing a cream robe, and the little girl a beautiful sundress. Jonghyun cringed at the thought of her in Hell, how much pain she had gone through.

Jonghyun watched the little girl speak with Tabelel, he watched as the boy hugged the little girl, he watched as she walked towards the gates and they opened, he watched as the little girl turned and waved to the boy, he watched the little girl walk through the gates and the boy disappear like mist.

Jonghyun turned to ask the man what had happened but he took his hand and led him towards a small clearing off the path. “So… you’re my guardian angel?” He asked and watched as he sighed and sat.

“I am. I’ve been with you since you were conceived.” Jonghyun wrinkled man nose at the thought. “So you like protect me from bad stuff?” He simply nodded.

“How come I’ve never seen you before? Can I only see you here?” He nodded again. Jonghyun felt annoyed.

“I’ve spent ages here, does that mean I’ve been dead for this long on Earth? If I go back wont I have brain damage?” She laughed and Jonghyun felt that he could grow wings and fly just from that sound.

“Time here is different than on Earth, when you go back I suspect it will only have been less than a minute from when your heart stopped.” He tugged at the grass and started braiding it.

“What’s your name?” His hands stopped and Jonghyun felt nervous about the way he looked at him.

“People close to me call me Jinki. Just call me your guardian angel okay?” He stretched his arms above his head and stood, “Come on, I’ve got to get you back to your body before you go brain dead.”

The look on Jonghyun’s face must have been priceless because soon enough Jinkil was rolling in the grass laughing. Jonghyun didn’t find it funny one bit. It felt like it had been only five seconds before Jonghyun found himself in front of the dark tunnel, and only two seconds later he was hugging him goodbye.

“I’m glad that we finally get to meet you know. Even though you won’t remember anything about being here, I just wanted you to know.” Jonghyun smiled and pulled him in for one last hug.

“I also get to see everything,” Jinki said giving him a big squeeze, Jonghyun felt confused, “especially late at night when everyone is asleep.” Jonghyun felt his face burn red and he quickly turned around. He could hear Jinki’s laughter and felt him pat his back. “Just follow the light okay?”

Jonghyun laughed at that cliché and bowed to him quickly before walking into the tunnel and following the light.