13. 11:59 AM

Guardian Angel

Jinki smiles at the sleeping man on the bed and flips through the pages of Jonghyun’s scroll.

It had been exactly eight months since they became a ‘couple’, and Jinki was incredibly happy. However he still had no idea why humans could see angels now, there was a lead though. An angel had fallen.

Fallen meaning the angel decided ‘screw God’ and gave up his holiness for human life. It had only happened once before, with Jinki to be exact. Except God was more lenient with Jinki and gave him the task of watching over Hell. Not that it even really needed to be watched.

People who had done wrong in their life came, spent the rest of eternity burning in the darkness and heat. Not much could go on.

Jinki sighs and plays with his hair thinking.

The fallen angel had been reborn and was currently slobbering all over teething rings in Kansas, no recollection of its previous life.  So the trail stopped there.

The only other possibility was that these people had some uncanny ability to see angels.

He groans and rubs his eyes, tired he moves to close the book before something catches his eye and then he realizes. He’s the reason humans can see angels.

 

---------

 

Taemin hands Jonghyun a licorice and leans back into the couch. They were in the living room of Taemin’s house watching movies and relaxing, their Guardians having gone off to speak privately as soon as Jinki and Jonghyun had entered the home.

“Gotta pee.” Jonghyun says standing up and walking towards the bathroom, looking at the clock he takes note of the time. He didn’t really need to use the restroom; he was just worried about Jinki. The elder hadn’t spoken to him all morning and was distant every time Jonghyun tried to talk to him.

He stops by the closed door of Taemin’s bedroom and listens, hardly making out anything other than a few mumbles and his own name.

Jonghyun had tried speaking to Jinki earlier the devil ignored him and walked out of the room. Jonghyun was hurt. Had he done something wrong? His phone then buzzed, Taemin asking him to come over, Jonghyun agreed and noticed a peculiar book on his desk.

Turning back he trips and the mumbles stop before Jinki pokes his head out looking down at him. “You okay Jonghyun?”

Jonghyun doesn’t speak, glaring at the elder he gets up and walks to the front door, rushing into his shoes and leaving, running down the street.

It may be childish, but Jonghyun has his reasons, well, not really but Jonghyun doesn’t care. Jinki should have spoken to him, should have told him, but how do you tell someone something like that?

 

----------

 

As he runs nears his home he realizes Jinki may go there looking for him, so he opts instead to go to the park.

Reaching a bench by the duck pond Jonghyun stops and sits to catch his breath. He was just so tired of Jinki ignoring him all day, angry at him for the only words Jinki spoke to him being ‘you okay?’ after getting hurt. No ‘I love you’ or ‘how’d you sleep?’ like every morning.

Someone sits next to him and Jonghyun realizes that Jinki will always know where he is. Jinki looks at the younger and Jonghyun turns away. “Go away.”

“Jonghyun I won’t. Just tell me what’s wrong.” Jinki pleads watching the younger.

Jonghyun takes out his phone and stares at the time. 11:48 AM.

“Do you love me?”

Jinki pulls Jonghyun into a tight hug and nods. “I love you very much.”

“Then why didn’t you tell me?” Jonghyun pulls away and looks at the Guardian.

The elder frowns and searches Jonghyun’s eyes for an answer to a question he doesn’t understand. Sensing that Jinki isn’t getting it he sighs and stands up.

Walking out over to the pond and watching the ducks Jonghyun wonders if it was now.

“You should have told me I was the reason people could see angels, because you’ve tried to collect me too many times, because I really should be dead by now.”

Jinki gets up and walks over to Jonghyun taking his hand and bringing it up to his lips, placing a soft kiss against the youngers cold fingers.

“Because it’s nothing to talk about, so what if I kept you alive, I can’t imagine a life without you.”

“But you imbalanced nature Jinki, you saving me caused all of this. I was supposed to die when I was fifteen, but you saved me, you changed everything in Heaven. I’m supposed to be dead.”

Jinki sighs pulling Jonghyun to face him. “You don’t understand Jonghyun, you don’t really know why I did the things I did. I may have saved you, yes, but it’s because I needed you to live.”

Jonghyun shakes his head, a look of pure disgust on his face. “And in saving me, someone else took my place. You took an innocent life and traded it for mine. I should have died back then; you saved me and took someone else. It was wrong.”

Jinki hates the fact that Jonghyun is right. He didn’t want Jonghyun to find out, at least not this way, not when he had only found out himself that morning.

Jonghyun lets out a lengthy breath and turns from Jinki starting his way home. Jinki grabs him and hugs him from behind. “I love you Jonghyun, I’m sorry.”

Jinki feels Jonghyun relax in the embrace and the elder kisses his ear.

“That’s why if you love me, you should let me go.” Jonghyun turns and looks at his Guardian and that’s when Jinki realizes that he knows.

“Don’t stop it please.”

Jinki shakes his head. “I-I can’t. I don’t want you to-“

“It has to happen. Please Jinki don’t interfere. Just collect me. That’s all you have to do.”

Jonghyun kisses Jinki slowly, the kiss quickly becoming passionate, knowing it’s their last.

Jinki feels Jonghyun pull away, mumbling a quiet ‘I love you’ before walking away and as Jinki opens his eyes to the sight of Jonghyun’s back walking away he regrets not talking to Jonghyun that morning.

Regrets not saying ‘I love you’ every second, the guilt of what is going to happen tearing him apart from the inside.

As Jonghyun walks away he checks his phone one last time, 11:56. He sends a text to his mom saying he's on his way home, but he knows he won't arrive.

11:58, he keeps walking, he feels Jinki's stare on his back and he turns for one last look.

As the sound of glass and metal, tires screeching, a horn blaring, and a body hitting the ground; Jinki knows.

It’s time to collect the only person he’s ever loved.

 

~<3~

A/N:

So... this was the last chapter. I'll explain more in the epilogue A/N