chapter 9

Sasaeng Aniya!!!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

True to the doctor’s words, Mrs. Park was reported to have gained consciousness by the next 24 hours after the accident. I was very much attuned to the news since, and that’s saying something because I don’t really have the time to watch TV shows. As soon as I heard those words coming out of the anchor’s mouth however, relief rushed through my veins and my mind immediately flew to Chanyeol. At least now, he would have less things to worry about. I’m sure his father would follow soon. I’m just glad Chanyeol would finally come out of his own cave of depression. I think it really helped him to always have EXO by his side. The members have also been reported to come in and out of the hospital whenever they don’t have a schedule. They must have been really close with Mr. and Mrs. Park based on the love they are showing them. Sometimes, real friendship really proves helpful in some circumstances. I just hope such compassion is not only for the broadcast.

 

                It was on the third day of being hospitalized that Mr. Park gained consciousness. Again, it was like light filled the air with the news. I was so sure if he didn’t wake up soon, he would have been declared in coma and it would probably give Mrs. Park and Chanyeol a heart attack. Maybe his sister too, even if she’s not in the country. However, Mr. Park cannot be released yet for he still had other physical damages that needs to be tended upon. I think that’s just alright, seeing that he had already overcome the big boulder.

 

                I actually wanted to just send a message to Chanyeol to ask about his parent’s situation then instead of listening to the news, or to at least text him encouraging words, but I was afraid he would think I’ve become over eager because I’ve figured out now that I have a means of communication with him. Plus, I don’t have any idea if we are even on texting terms, because as far as I know, we aren’t really friends. I’m just, once again, a stranger whom he pitied on the streets, not to add, while drunk. Moreover, I don’t want to bother him. It was obvious that he has been exceptionally busy these days. The Company, despite the recent happenings, did not allow him to take even a day-off. I think it would have to do something about breaching contracts with other networks or sponsors. He also had to manage the café and the restaurant his parents established while they were out there cold. I wondered then why he didn’t just let them close for a few days, but maybe he thought it would be unfair for the workers, or probably he thinks his parents wouldn’t want that. I don’t know what’s running in his mind, but I do think Chanyeol has a great sense of responsibility even if he looks so carefree on television. I know that he has a kind heart, seeing how he had helped me, but now, my respect for him grew even more.

 

                I’m not saying I’ll start to become his fan, though. Kekekeke.

 

                It was on Monday however, while I was working on the café that I received a text message from him. At first, I didn’t want to look at it, because I was really worried about the content. My mind immediately conjured a lot of not-so-good thoughts. Like, if he’ll take the unit away. This one is always the first of my concerns. But then, other bad thoughts follow, like how he’d irritate me to death for hugging him, or how I’d been seen by a hospital guard jumping balconies or perhaps he knew that I gave the flower to a random stranger…The possibilities are endless.

 

                So, after much deliberation, I took out my phone while wiping a table. I deemed it okay because there weren’t much customers at 10 in the morning.

 

                From: The Great Yoda (I changed his name for the fun of it. He wouldn’t find out anyway. :D :D :D)

               

                                I’ll be at the unit at 4.

 

                Just that. I don’t think this kid knows how to text. He’s so serious he could kill and he is way too straight with his text messages. Can’t he even greet first? I rolled my eyes at my own phone, daring it too put on an expression. He could at least use a smiley…

 

                And yes, out of all the issues I could be worried about, and be concerned about, I choose to get on with the way he texts.

 

                Quickly, I replied.

 

                To: The Great Yoda

 

                                Yo yo yo~ Good morning to you too!!!

                Ooookkkkkayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :D :X O.O :S XD >-.-< :P :> :]]]]]]]]]]]]

 

                If he’s not so dumb, I think he’ll get the big idea.

 

                The funniest thing however is…he didn’t reply.

                I’ve waited for several minutes, and then it became hours and still, nothing.

                Now I have more issues with his texting.

 

                Without his reply though, my attention shifted to other things. I think 4 PM is okay. Eun Gi usually goes home at 6. I don’t really know why that is but as long as she’s not clubbing or doing drugs, it’s fine with me. I’m concerned about this because I don’t really think Eun Gi meeting Chanyeol is a good idea. Who knows what kind of fan craziness she will do. Plus, I haven’t even explained yet how the unit is really rented from Chanyeol. I still don’t have the heart to tell her that. So, meeting Chanyeol at 4, will work just fine. I don’t reckon we would even take an hour to talk. I don’t even know why he’s visiting. Would he bring up the issue of me being in that dream concert? I mean, would he even remember that with the things that recently happened?

 

                “Naeun-ah,” I suddenly called out when she passed in front of me.

                “Chemi,” she smiled at me.

                “The, uhm…unit owner texted me just now, he wanted to have a talk about the, ugh, payment at 4,” I explained. “I need to be home by then. I promise I’ll catch up with the work.”

                Naeun smiled at me. She’s really like the angel I need in my life. “It’s okay. You don’t have make a fuss about it. I completely understand the circumstances.”

                “Still…I’m a worker here,” I said. “It’s not really good that I’m doing this.”

                “I took you in knowing your problems, Chemi,” Naeun said. “It’s really okay. Plus, we already changed the wage system. It’s more than fair now to the others.”

                “You’re really awesome,” I told her, giving her a small hug. “You deserve all the good things in the world.”

                “I’m already happy as it is,” Naeun said. “It’s you who deserve more.”

                I suddenly felt guilty about lying to her. I should just have admitted I’m going to talk to Chanyeol who is the owner of the unit and I really don’t have any idea what we’re going to talk about. So, in the end, I just said, “Thank you.”

                “Anytime,” Chemi said, squeezing my hand before going to the back room.

 

                At 3, I was already dismissed from work but I didn’t go straight back home. I walked to a nearby restaurant and bought tteokkbokki (떡볶이) because I wasn’t in the mood to cook for him and besides, I don’t have the time. I rendered that tteokbokki will be fine with him because it’s only for snacks, not for dinner and I heard EXO used to eat a lot of it during their trainee days.

 

                Reaching home, I immediately placed the food on a Tupperware and covered it. It’s still 20 minutes before 4, so I took the time to sweep the floor. It took me ten minutes to do so, change of clothes included. So then, I just sat on the couch, the TV and just waited.

 

                But 4 came and no one rang the doorbell. I didn’t care at first because no one really arrives on time. Then, 4:10 came and so is 4:30. I kept on glancing at the clock and on my phone to check messages but there was nothing. An hour passed and I was forced to eat my part of tteokbokki. I just sat there, watching without really minding the show. At 6, I was starting to get irritated. Although, I am in my unit, and I could just sleep whenever I want to, I hate the fact that Park Chanyeol just had me waiting every single time. I understood the first incident, but this? Unless he got himself head banged by a random stranger, I could forgive him. It’s just, I’m really a patient person when it comes to it, but I hate waiting without someone telling me what’s going on. He knows my number, he could just send a text! But there’s nothing. Not even a blank message from the great yoda.

 

                I stood up and was about to put the tteokbokki on the microwave to heat it when I heard a scuttle coming from the door. When I took a peek, I would be lying if I say I’m not disappointed to see Eun Gi there.

 

                “I’m hungry!” was the first thing she said as she removed her shoes before the closed door. “Eonni, do we have anything there that could be eaten, like, right now?”

                “I bought tteokbokki,” I said nonchalantly. It’s obvious that Park Chanyeol is not coming any sooner. “I’m just heating it. It’ll be okay in 3 mins.”

                “Okay!” Eun Gi exclaimed happily. “Then, I’m just going to change clothes. Gaaaa! I have a lot of homeworks today, the teachers are definitely killing us!”

                “Then eat, and do your stuff,” I said, as I watched her about to storm to her room. “I’m going to order pizza!”

                “Okay!” She said.

 

                And so I did. Using the unit telephone, I called Pizza Hut and ordered a whole family-sized one. All this waiting just made me hungry for more. I’m still irritated at that person. I could have earned more if he did not take me unnecessarily away from my job. The person at the other end of the line told me my order will arrive in less than 20 minutes. They gave me a phone number so that I can text an authorization of some kind to enter the condominium so he could deliver it right at our door. I didn’t know they could do that kind of service, or maybe they just know that this condo is strict when it comes to visitors. I said another okay, and hung up.

 

                Once I did, I called the guard downstairs to inform him of the set-up. Then, I grabbed my phone from the couch and quickly sent a phone waver to the number that was given to me. It texted me back right away that he was about to ride to our place. I can’t help but think of Chanyeol and his inability to reply. This person working for pizza hut is better than him! So, I opened my phone again and sent him a text message.

 

                To: The Great Yoda

                               

                Good evening Chanyeollieeee~!!!^^

                How nice of you to come by. Gosh, how fast the time is when I’m enjoying it.

                I didn’t notice at all that you spent 0 hours in the unit! I hope we can last 1 second next time! Komawo yo!

 

                I pressed the SENT key mighty hard and plopped down on the couch.

 

                Minutes later, Eun Gi went out of her room in her pajamas and went straight to the microwave. She took out the Tupperware, sat on the dining table and started eating. In the meantime, I closed my eyes and started thinking. Dad hasn’t texted me for a while now. I’m worried. Maybe, I should send money to them tomorrow since I pretty got a lot of income because of that dream concert. I could even send Eun Gi now to the fieldtrip to Jeju. It’s really nice to have all these happy times right now, without being bothered too much. Tomorrow there’s another gig with the night performers. What song should I do this time? What song is there?

 

                And then there’s the café. Recently, Naeun’s café is doing well. Eversince exo came by, some of the fans are stalling there, waiting if there will be idols coming by. So far, however, only Kyungsoo went back. It did me good because I was able to take pictures. However now, I have competition. Those fans. Still, I take better ones. I’m still waiting myself if other members will start to notice the café. I hope Kyungsoo will recommend the place to the others. The café is really good and I’m not biased. Or maybe I am, because I like books.

 

                Suddenly, the doorbell rang. I saw Eun Gi turn her head to the door but did not stood up. I was too lazy myself to open it.

 

                “Eun Gi-ah,” I said, rolling to my side on the couch. “Open the door. It’s the pizza I ordered. Just sign whatever piece of paper he will give you.”

                “But I have lots of things to do…” Eun Gi reasoned out.

                “Yaaa!” I said in a loud, reprimanding voice. “That doesn’t even take a minute!”

                “You’re such a lazy , Eonni,” she said in a flat tone. I started to open my mouth. She must have seen that I was about to nag that’s why she cut me off by saying, “I’m doing it, I’m doing it.”

 

                I heard the sound of a seat being pushed back and hard footsteps. I can’t believe she said I’m the lazy one when she’s the one who’s practically two meters away from the door. IN a second, I heard the door creak open.

 

                I waited for her to speak or even greet a polite Annyeonghaseyo in her shy voice as she always does to strangers but there was none. I thought maybe it was just too silent that I didn’t hear it. I was about to put my earphones on when I heard a familiar voice calling out my name.

 

                “Chemi-ah! Song Chemi!” that deep voice called out in a panicky tone.

 

                I suddenly sat up on the couch as if a long electric volt coursed through my veins. Eyes wide, legs turned into lead, all that was in my head was one word.

 

                .

 

                Immediately, I took my phone and run to the door. The scene was completely what I imagined it to be. My sister all unconscious in the arms of her idol, Chanyeol. This must be dream come true for Eun Gi. Only she wasn’t awake to see it. She must have been shocked too much to see him in front of her. Chanyeol looked shocked too but that’s because he didn’t expect a girl to collapse on him at first sight.

 

                I would have found the scene funny if it’s not my sister.

               

                Chanyeol obviously didn’t know what to do.

 

                “I don’t know who she is,” he said in an urgent voice. “She just suddenly fell. Is she sick? I think we should bring her to the hospital.”

                “That’s my sister,” I explained. “And no need. Just carry her to the couch. I’ll…uhm…explain everything inside.”

               

                Chanyeol took a step forward, and I could see that he wants to get over this as quick as possible, but even before he could take another step, I stopped him.

 

                “Wait!” I said. “Ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter