twenty

Serenade Melancolique

twenty

 

Upon reaching my house I'm not surprised to find Tao standing outside waiting for me. I am however shocked to quickly find myself on the receiving end of a hug. He's thrown his body at me, wrapping his thin arms around my waist. I don't hug back. My arms are raised and frozen at my sides.

 

“Oh Sehun!” he says my name with such reverence.

 

“How long have you been out here?”

 

“I came here straight after school!”

 

Straight after. So he must have skipped chamber and he definitely must not have yet heard from Lay about Luhan. He lets go, looking over my shoulder at Chen who stands a few paces behind me.

 

“Don't mind me,” the older muse says with a trademark grin. “I'm just minding my own business.”

 

His words make me remember what Lay said about me being Tao's boyfriend. At this particular moment I can see how it make look that way. But despite us never actually saying the words outright I assume that role belongs to Kai.

 

“Who is he?” Tao asks, glancing back up at me.

 

“A friend of Jongin,” I reply.

 

I can see that Tao's not pleased with that answer. He lets go and crosses his arms, gazing at Chen with hard eyes.

 

“Another friend? Am I not good enough?”

 

“I can have multiple friends,” I retort. “You do. And besides, that's not important right now. Why are you here?”

 

Tao's eyes soften. A slight shy smile graces his features.

 

“I was worried. We normally eat lunch together but you were gone. So was Kim Jongin.” He says the last bit as if it's an after thought but I can tell it isn't. He wrings his fingers. “I was so worried.”

 

He really looked distressed and I cannot match this person with the one who hurt Luhan. I have to find out the truth now.

 

I ask, “Why were you so worried?”

 

He looked at me with wide eyes, as if he doesn't understand my words at all. I repeat the question.

 

“Because last night that thing was after you and--”

 

“And I told you I suspected Luhan,” I finish.

 

He nods.

 

“But you told me I didn't have to be afraid anymore this morning, right? Because you took care of the problem with Luhan.”

 

I can see it. Tao suddenly looks nervous and I press forward.

 

“Then why are you worried as if something else could happen. Is something supposed to happen?”

 

He shakes his head fervently, “No... I... I...”

 

“Then what?” I press.

 

He looks so upset I almost hate to pry but my mind is going crazy. Will he confirm Kai's suspicious, that he knows about everything. Or will he prove to be an innocent? I don't think it's possible. If he were really as innocent as Lay said why was he so shaken up by my questioning?

 

He gives in under the pressure.

 

“I was upset, ok!” Because you were with Kim Jongin! You were with him this morning underneath the tree and you left with him at lunch. You didn't think anything about me. What am I supposed to think?”

 

It isn't the answer I expected to hear. Instead of anything to do with the homer, Luhan or the muse it seems strangely petty and small.

 

“Why won't you look at me? Even after what I did. Even though Luhan is my friend!”

 

He seems near hysterics and I think I should calm him down. I grab his hand, pulling it to my chest.

 

“Tao," I say hs name and it snaps him back to attention.

 

He has tears collecting in his dark rimmed eyes.

 

“What about Luhan?” I inquire. “What did you do?”

 

I'm squeezing his shoulder now and hard. I can't help it. I'm so scared about what I could potentially hear. His confession about his feelings about myself and Kai aside, if Tao was really Luhan's attacker it could change the nature of my feelings for him. Luhan had been left as good as dead!

 

“Sorry to interrupt, but I think we have company,” Chen cuts in.

 

I look over at him and see him staring at some nearby thick brush and trees. A breeze blows as we both are silent. We listen for anything. All I can hear is Tao's occasional sniffle.

 

“We need to go,” Chen says suddenly and he looks serious. I don't want to argue.

 

“But Tao,” I say.

 

He sighs, “This is exactly why I said we shouldn't have come back here.”

 

But he walked forward and snatched Tao by the waist as if he were a rag doll and illicited a growl of protest from the Chinese violist.

 

“Follow me,” he commands before jumping into the air and taking off, carrying Tao along with him.

 

“Ah, Sehun!” Tao calls for me and reaches out a hand. “Let go! What are you--- HELP!”

 

He struggles in the grasp of Chen's spirit form.

 

“Wait for me!” I follow, getting a running start before catching up.

 

“Geez, you're slow,” remarks Chen when I join his side.

 

“I told you I'm new,” I defend.

 

Tao reaches out to me causing Chen to scold him for squirming.

 

I was quickly finding out that Chen always felt the need to crack a joke.

 

“Trust me, if you rely on that kid he'll drop you for sure,” he informs Tao.

 

But Tao seems to be working himself into another fit.

 

“What are you doing? Sehun, please!”

 

“Did you not tell your boyfriend anything?” Chen asks me, ignoring Tao completely.

 

How do I explain that Tao's not my boyfriend? Chen addresses Tao then, loosening his grip and grabbing only his hand. To mine and Tao's surprise he continued to float as if tethered to Chen.

 

“And don't let go,” he warns.

 

Tao asks again, “What's going on?”

 

“Something big was headed towards that house. We were all in danger,” Chen replies.

 

“Was it like the black thing from yesterday?” Tao looks at me.

 

Chen sounds intrigued, “Yesterday?”

 

“Tao and I were attacked by a homer,” I inform him.

 

“!” curses Chen. “And you still didn't inform him what we're up against? Tao—that's your name right-- let me tell you now, if you plan to be serious about lover boy here be prepared for a ton of life threatening bull.”

 

“Huh?” I start to protest but then suddenly, so fast that I sense not a thing, I am hit from behind.

 

It felt like whatever it was had the strength of a freight train and it's clinging to me as we both being to free fall to the ground. I can't hear anything but I feel talons clawing and ripping into my back. I try to twist my body, fight against the tight hold of whatever grabbed me. As I turn I steady my breathing, and eyes clenched tight. I harness the power and then let it all go with a shuddering exhale. I open my eyes as a gust of wind leave my body. I see now it's a homer and I watch as it screams and rips away from me, talons raking long ripped stripes across my uniform blazer.

 

I don't have time to congratulate myself as it's then that I make contact with the roof of a warehouse. I'm in my spirit form and slip right through unharmed but I must have lost control after that as I materialize and hit against a mountain of something before sliding down and rolling onto the concrete flooring so hard I'm convinced I've broke every bone in my body.

 

I try to sit up, ignoring the pain coursing through my body or the way my head swims causing me to see double. I blink and refocus and realize my body doesn't hurt nowhere as much as I think it should. I don't have time to ponder further though because the ceiling breaks in as the homer crashes through.

 

It roars when it lands in front of me and I scramble to my feet, using my wind to propel me backwards. I race to hide behind the pile of scattered wooden pallets, some crushed and broken, that I'm sure I had initially fallen onto. It stomps after me and I turn reaching out my hands and curling my fingers forming a cyclone of wind around the beast. It rises and then slams down on the the floor tail thrashing. As it clamors to its feet Chen and Tao come floating down from the hole in the roof. They land on the floor a few meters away. The beast rises to its feet between us.

 

“Sehun!” Tao shouts my name but Chen holds him back by out stretching an arm.

 

The beast is panting, gross trails of saliva dripping onto the hard floor and it circles on its feet, facing me then Chen then back again towards me. Its nostrils flair as it sniffs and accesses the situation and I can see a spark of blue electricity crackle in the hand at Chen's side before it expands covering his entire arm with bands of electricity.

 

The beast has looked at me again and I see its hind-legs tense, ready to lunge. I tense as well crossing my arms over my chest.

 

“Hey ugly!” Chen calls to the homer. “Eat this!”

 

And then he's charging, his black boots basically flying off the flooring as his electrically charged fist lands right in the beast chest. I try to think fast as well and I dart to the side focusing my powers and then blasting the beast. Its body flies backward from the gust of air and slams into a heavy metal door.

 

“Wind, huh?” Chen says, straightening. “Not bad.”

 

The homer proceeds to get up again, shaking its head as if to clear away the inflicted damage. But it walks with a hobble, stumbling a bit.

 

“Quite the persistent bugger, isn't he,” Chen laughs and powers up again.

 

I do too and that's when I notice Tao was no longer in my line of sight. I look around and notice he's off to the side, picking up one of the long wooden splinters from the debris and moving it in his hands as if testing the weight.

“Tao?” I question.

 

But I have no time to wait for an answer because he comes forward now. I recognize that look. There is no fear on his face. Determination is the only readable emotion and it's exactly like he was the night before when he fought.

 

My eyes widen as he takes a fighting stance. His legs are set and an arm outstretched before him. He radiates with such power that for a moment I'm in awe. But quickly I regain my senses.

 

“Tao, no!” I yell.

 

But's too late. Chen is already fighting the homer. He lands strike after electric strike on the body of the beast and Tao rushes in as well, spinning his body and the weapon itself, before landing a strike right on the head of the homer between the nostrils above its ferocious maw.

 

The beast is hurt from it and Chen actually praises Tao as he hops back to regain his bearings. Tao rounds the body of the creature, being sure to dodge the clubbed tail and the aiming again at its head.

 

“Yeah! That's it. Sehun don't be a dead weight!” Chen cheers and yells back at me over his shoulder.

 

I'm stunned but nod and begin to try to focus on my attack. I can't get close. I know I'd just be in the way and I try to think of an opening I can attack in without hitting Chen and Tao who both reign blows from close range. If I used the same attacks I've tried before they'd both get caught up in the gust for sure!

 

Tao jumps back from a swipe attempting to block with his rod but it gives finally from the abuse and he's falling back. My heart jumps in worry as I see his body fall against the floor.

 

“Sehun, now!”

 

I see that Chen has stunned the monster. He's standing a meter away panting as the beast screams aglow in blue electricity. It cannot move and I know he's right, I have to do something. Kai's taught me what I need to do, that whatever I want to do I can do, if only I just breathe! Nothing is impossible.

 

I raise my hand, holding it flat concentrating my powers there. I move back and then wing my arm, letting the disk I made fly like a frisbee. It cuts through the air and soon turns from its horizontal angle to a vertical one, slicing at the target up and down. The blade of wind lodges itself in the homer's chest and it screams out before dropping after Chen's stun wears away.

 

It falls to the ground with a thud and within seconds begins to dissipate into the ground just when Yesung killed the first homer I ran into.

 

Chen comes over and claps me on the back.

 

“Man, that was awesome,” he laughs. “You're awesome.”

 

I can't accept his compliments and as he's shaking my shoulder I look over to Tao who is now sitting up on the ground. I dislodge myself from Chen and run to Tao's side, kneeling down and placing a hand against his back.

 

“Tao,” I say.

 

Tao looks up at me and I almost think he's going to kiss me. He seems to be lost in his own world taking in me who is right in front of him. I blush and look away.

 

“Are you, OK?” He asks.

 

I want to laugh. That's the question he thinks to ask. I nod and stand, pulling him up by the arm as I do so. He gets to his feet and our hands and fingers are like magnets and lace together tightly.

 

“I'm fine. But don't do that,” I say. “You're just a human. You could... you could be really hurt.”

 

Tao tilts his head, I see it as I chance to look at him.

 

“And I assume you're about to admit that you're not.”

 

“I'm not,” I reply.

 

He squeezes my hand tighter but it isn't tender. It's almost he's holding on for strength and he's afraid to let go.

 

“I was starting to suspect as much.”

 

I turn to him and wrap my hand around his torso. He raises his arm, draping it over my shoulder. My heart is beating so fast and I pull the hand I still hold between us, raising it and kissing him on the knuckles.

 

I don't know why I did it but when I do it feels so good. He gasps and his eyes flutter shut so mine do too. I feel a small bit of energy coursing through my body. It's so minute but I recognize it somehow. It leaves my body wanting for more, so much more. I let go of his hand and he quickly throws that arm over my shoulder as well pressing closer to me. I lean down and breathe in a bit as I hover over him. I can feel his energy his very essence radiating off of him in waves and the scent of him is so soothing. I my lips and then continue the rest of the way.

 

He kisses back, tightening his grip on me and I do the same, loving the feel of his waist in my hands. When we break away though we don't have time to savor the moment as Chen quickly comes forward.

 

“Look, as touching as this really is, we can't really be standing here all day.”

 

If he was disturbed by the display he doesn't show it but Tao and I simultaneously blossom into deep shades of red. We had lost track of our location and I let go of him quickly.

 

“We have to get you and lover boy to safety quick,” Chen says.

 

“Ah... about that,” I say scratching the back of my head.

 

Tao and Chen both regard me with curious looks.

 

“Tao and Kai aren't exactly on the best of terms,” I admit.

 

“Huh? He'll get over it,” Chen replies. “It's only natural. He has to deal if he's gonna be the boss.”

 

“Yeah but you see, Tao lives on the otherside of the river.”

 

“Uh-huh,” Chen nodded, a bored expression coming over his face. He obviously didn't get it.

 

“With Lay.”

 

Chen's face lit with recognition at that and he curses under his breath.

 

“Well , you done did it now. No wonder they're after you!” Chen looked angry. “You don't put your hands on what's Suho's. what have you done!?”

 

I back away from him as he clenches his fists at his side but he quickly relaxes with a sigh.

 

“I think we should leave him here. He can take care of himself,” he turns to Tao. “You can take care of yourself, right kid?”

 

“H,huh?” Tao looks puzzled. “What does Lay have to do with any of this? I'm going with Sehun!”

 

“You can't do that,” Chen remarked as he pulled me towards him but Tao clings to me as well.

 

“You can't take me away from him!” Tao says and grabs me with both arms this time.

 

“Sehun, please reason with him.”

 

I gulp and want to say something that would help. I still don't have any clue what's going on but if it's a danger to have Tao with us then I certainly don't want to put all of us in more harm's way.

 

“If you leave me again,” Tao's voice is shaking. “I don't know what I would do.”

 

“Oh lord,” Chen turns away covering his face in exasperation. “Here comes the waterworks.”

 

I glare at Chen and then look at Tao who clings to my jacket which is at his point basically shredded cloth hanging from my body.

 

“You always leave me to be with Jongin. It kills me to think you hate me that much. Do you hate me that much?”

 

“I don't hate you,” I clarify. “It's just--”

 

I stop to think.

 

“Actually, Chen, he should come with us,” I decide and look to Chen again. “Kai would definitely want to ask him some questions. If he's really Suho's it would actually be within our favor to keep him in out sight for now.”

 

I try my best to sound confident although I'm not sure if Chen's convinced. He sighs as his hands drop to his hips.

 

“Fine. Just remember what I said before we got into this mess. You're taking all of the blame.”

 

-to be continued-

 

AN: CHAPTER 20! I really REALLY at fighting scenes and even moreso in 1st person! but hey! taohun kiss finally! Kai is back next chapter ahah and heads may just roll! thanks all readers! please review~