02

Promises Are Made To Be Broken

The next morning, Eunhee walked to school with Soojin again. Every morning was like this. She would walk with Soojin to school and follow through her school day, avoiding bullies and trying not to draw attention to herself. No one needed to know her, no one needed to see her. No one needed to remember her, because to them, she was just a mere human body chained to her school duties.

She sat down in her seat, and found Baekhyun at his seat already. She desperately wanted to say hi to him, to just be friends with him, but she knew her place. She would never be left alone by the other students of the school. Besides, she didn't know if Baekhyun even liked her and was a bully too like the rest of the school. He never talked to her or acknowledged her existence. He probably didn't even know her name.

Eunhee sat down and glued her eyes to the front of the classroom. It was easier said than done to ignore the harsh whispers directed to her and the cold stares. She desperately wanted to hide underneath her desk or running away from school and never coming back could be an option, but she could never ditch Soojin. She would stay for Soojin, she fights through for Soojin. 

As the first period bell dismissed them from their class, Eunhee practically jumped out of her seat and ran to her second period class. She did not want to deal with Youngjae. She was terrified that he would pop out of nowhere and torture her for not giving him her allowance, on top of that, getting him in trouble.

She felt something hit her the back of her head and looked down. A piece of crumpled paper had fallen to the floor after hitting it's target. She picked it up, smoothed it out, and read it. On the paper was angry handwriting. It read, ". Why'd you do that to our Youngjae? You're going to pay for it, freak." Eunhee's hand shook a little and crumpled the paper again and shoved it into her backpack. Throwing it away at school was too dangerous, for a teacher could pick it up and read it even though it was highly unlikely. 

The day went by quick, and Youngjae-less too. Eunhee stood outside the school, waiting for Soojin. She rocked back and forth on her feet and noticed the beautiful scenery of her school's field. She saw some schoolboys playing a friendly game of soccer on the turf, some girls leisurely walking around talking to each other. She liked the sunlight that made this scene picturesque. She smiled genuinely smiled for the first time in forever. She looked back at the school entrance, and when she saw that Soojin was not anywhere near the entrance, she put down her backpack and pulled out her sketchbook. She sat down on the edge of the steps leading down to the soccer field and started drawing the boys playing their game of soccer. The girls laughing and talking. The birds soaring through the sky, soaking up the sunlight. She started sketching the outlines of the scene, her pencil flying across the paper. 

Her five minutes of true happiness and freedom ended when someone noticed her from afar. The girl threw dirt at her and her friends threw more dirt in her hair and on her clothes and sketchbook. They taunted her with terrible and painful words, but Eunhee managed to filter them out. She froze in place, not knowing what to do. These girls were under the impression of the Eunhee at school, they didn't know better. She could hold it all in, and she has been for the past three years of her life. She let them continue throwing dirt at her and waited for them to finish their rage and anger at her for "ruining their Youngjae." "What made him yours in the first place..." She thought to herself. The girls finally stopped when Soojin came out running out of the school and screaming at them to stop. Soojin was known for being the toughest girl in school. Soojin's image was a tough boy stuck in a feminine body. Which of course, wasn't true. Park Soojin was probably the sweetest person Eunhee had ever met.

Soojin came up to Eunhee and helped her up, brushing dirt off of her school uniform and getting most of it out of her hair. She gave Eunhee her handkerchief for her to wipe her face off before the dirt got into her eyes.

"Thanks Soojin..." Eunhee said as she returned the handkerchief. 

"No problem Eunhee. But seriously though, those kids...they really shouldn't be treating you this way," Soojin said. After a pause and quick glance at Eunhee, she added, "Why don't you want anyone to know who y-"

"I said to never mention it again, Soojin." Eunhee cut her off calmly but firmly. "I need to keep it a secret or else everything will be ruined..."

"Okay, okay I understand. Geez! You're so paranoid sometimes!" Soojin replied, punching her softly on her arm. Eunhee smiled and returned the punch. After a whole giggle fight, the two friends went on their way back home.

"Hey Soojin..?" Eunhee said softly as they were walking.

"Yeah?" She replied.

"Umm... you know who Byun Baekhyun is, right?"

"Uh, of course! If I didn't know him, that's like not knowing who the President is!" Soojin laughed and fantasized in her head.

"Well...um....do you like him?" 

"Uh...yeah, I guess? I mean, I don't think I would want to date him. He isn't really my type. I like the mysterious cold-looking guy but he's actually really caring and tall and his hair needs to have this certain look and..." Soojin rambled off without care and Eunhee listened because she truly wanted to know her friend's type. "Oh... whoops.. heh, I'm ranting again. So Byun Baekhyun?"

"Oh uh... well... I think I like him...as a guy..." Eunhee whispered, afraid for anyone to hear her. She herself did not want to believe it. After all, she could just be falling for his popularity. But she had no idea. No guy has ever sparked her heart before. 

"WHAT?! REALLY?!?? AWWWWW THAT"S SO CUTE!!" Soojin exclaimed, clearly over joyous in the fact that her best friend wasn't a dead person with no heart to love someone with.

"SHHHH! Someone might hear you, you doofus!" Eunhee hissed at her, nudging her to make her quiet down.

"Okay..Okay..! I'm sorry!!" Soojin said in between bursts of laughter. After Soojin had calmed down, she said to Eunhee, "Well, I'm just glad that you have finally found someone to have a heart attack over." The two sister-like friends laughed and continued walking. The two had reached there homes in no time, and since the two lived right next to each other, it was convenient for them. They waved goodbye and walked into their houses.

Eunhee walked in and noticed that only her older brother was home. Her older brother despised Eunhee with all of his soul, and he was scary. His face was always emotionless and hard. Eunhee swore that she has never even seen the boy smile. He was adopted and something happened to him when he was little, and apparently he has changed ever since then, but no one had ever bothered to tell little Eunhee and she had to figure out on her own how her brother's personality was like. She never dared asked him what happened, in fear of him lashing out at her and in fear of drawing out unwanted emotions for the poor boy because Eunhee could never inflict pain on someone intentionally. She was too kind for that.

Eunhee looked around for her brother and when she heard a loud sound from the basement that sounded like a door slam, she quickly announced her arrival at home and ran up the stairs to her bedroom. She closed the door and locked it, paranoid that he would come into her room for no reason and start yelling at her for existing in his life, which he had done once when she had first met him. 

Eunhee sat down at her desk and pulled out her notebook and opened it up to her homework, only to find vandalism. Someone had taken a sharpie and wrote, " YOU, . YOU'RE A WORTHLESS PIECE OF . YOU'RE MORE WORTHLESS THAN A SINGLE WON." She sighed and ripped that page out of her book and crumpled it into a ball and tossed it toward the direction of the miny waste basket in her room, not knowing she had missed and had landed behind the basket. She continued to do her homework and an hour later, her stomach felt like it was being punched. She needed to eat soon and it seemed like her parents weren't going to back anytime soon. "Probably on a business trip or something," she figured. She tip-toed to her door and listened for any noises and heard none. She opened the door and crept out, whispering her brother's name to check if he was around. He wanted to see Eunhee as least as possible and would chew her out if he saw her more than necessary. When she was convinced he was not around, she made her way to the kitchen in search of food and found none. She sighed and went to the pantry and cooked two packets of ramen. She had her fill and left the remaining ramen for Sehun because her parents would kill her if she didn't feed his lazy . She washed the dishes and went back to her room and much to her surprise, found Sehun sitting on her bed in the shadows. Eunhee swallowed thickly and stepped back a little.

"T-t-there's ramen in the f-fridge for y-y-you..." she stammered and kept tripping over the words in . After a small moment of silence, he responded coolly.

"Thanks."

And another silence enveloped the siblings. Eunhee didn't dare ask why he was in her room, so she decided to continue on and finished her homework. After twenty minutes, Sehun still had not budged from his spot on the bed. Eunhee gulped and mustered her voice.

"Uh...um..I would like to shower n-now so if you could l-l-leave so I can get my c-clothes..."

"Why? You scared of me seeing your girly underwear? It's not like you're changing in front of me. Just take it from your drawer and go," he responded with a scoff.

"O-okay. Um... I'll be leaving...now...." Eunhee quickly ran to her drawer and pulled her clothes out and hid her under garments in the folds of her pajamas and ran right back out to the bathroom. She took her shower and went back to her room, hoping Sehun would be gone. Thankfully, he was. Eunhee started to breathe again and tossed her clothes into the dirty clothes hamper. She took out her sketchbook and sat on her bed, which smelled like Sehun and alcohol thanks to him. She opened the page up to her drawing and smiled at her drawing she drew earlier. "If I were not who I made myself today...I wouldn't be able to see such a beautiful sight or live this life..." Those were the last thoughts in her mind as she drifted off to a good night's sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baekhyun was walking off to his after-school club on the second floor when he saw her. The wretched girl who ruined his life yet made his life so much more meaningful, even though she didn't know him. He paused and looked out of the window. He saw her drawing in her sketchbook and smiled. She looked so innocent and care free, and he was jealous of that. He kept looking and noticed a group of kids walking up to her. He didn't like the sight and his inner self was urging him to go down and stop them even if he would be too late, but if he hadn't remembered the promise, he would have gone down. If he didn't hold onto the window, he would have shot out of the school and punch ever single one of her bullies. If he wasn't aware of his surroundings, he would have screamed and shouted and kicked the walls, pretending that the walls were her torturers. And just as he thought, the kids were bullying her and throwing dirt at her and he was steaming mad. He was about to run down the steps until he saw that a girl had ran out of the building and stopped the kids and he was thankful. He stayed at the window a bit longer to make sure Eunhee was okay and when he saw that she was on her way out of the school territory, only then he went to his club activity. He hated the bullies that harassed his Eunhee, and he would make them pay. Somehow.


A/N: OMG OKAY SO. I am secretly using my aunt's computer and this is all I managed to write. So sorry for the slow update TT^TT I might end up not making this story public until I get a new computer. Please don't disregard this story :( Thank you! Keep reading please! If I ever even update.... Leave comments on your thoughts of what you have read so far >.<