01

Promises Are Made To Be Broken

Kim Eunhee was the quiet girl in the corner of the room. The one who was always picked on, the one no one would care if she was missing or not. She didn't have any friends, except for Park Soojin. They have been friends since they were very little and she was the only one who knew the true Eunhee. 

It was just another normal day at school. Being ignored and cast aside. Eunhee sat down at her seat, trying to ignore the whispers and occasional quick glances thrown at her. She kept her head down as the school's flower boy walked into her classroom. Every girl and boy in the classroom stared at him, mesmerized by his presence. 

Byun Baekhyun was the most friendliest kid anyone had ever known. He talked to everybody, making friends easily. He had the ability to make awkward moments happy and full of laughter. He walked to his seat, saying hi to all of his friends. He sat down in his seat next to Eunhee, but he didn't look at her. He didn't even say a simple, "Hi," to her. She lifted her head a bit and eyed Baekhyun secretively. "Whoa...he really is really attractive."  Eunhee smiled to herself. She quickly turned away in case she was caught looking at him. Her classmates would never forgive her for that.

"Hey freak! Take our homework!"

Notebooks flew at Eunhee's head and desk. She bit back an insult as the notebooks kept hitting the back of her head. She calmly picked the books off the floor and arranged them neatly on her desk to be put on the teacher's desk. When she sat back down, a couple students threw their books that they had purposefully kept from her at the neat pile.

"Oops, I didn't know you were collecting our notebooks. Guess you'll have to gather them again!" They snickered as they high-fived each other. Eunhee bit down on her bottom lip as she stood up to put the books back. As she was putting them back on the teacher's desk, the teacher walked in.

"Kim Eunhee, why are all the student's notebooks on the floor? Please do not drop their homework. They spent their own time doing their homework and we don't want it torn or dirtied, right? You may go back to your seat now." the teacher said, pointing to her seat. Eunhee bowed and apologized, pretending not to hear the whispers of her horrid classmates.

The first period bell rang and Eunhee quickly ran for the door of the classroom. She knew what would happen if she stayed behind too long. As she was about to reach the door, someone stepped in front of her.

"Not so fast, freak."

A pair of familiar shoes stopped her, blocking off her exit. Somehow, she had ended up as the last student in the classroom.

"Where do you think you're going? You still haven't paid me any money for the past three days. Though I truly congratulate you for managing to avoid me during those three days," the boy said.

"I don't have any money with me, Youngjae..." Eunhee spoke quietly, hoping no one would hear them. "I didn't get my allowance this week yet."

"Yeah, right. Like I haven't heard that one before. Come on Eunhee, you know better than to resist me. Give me your money." Youngjae said, poking Eunhee 's shoulder. She gasped and pushed him away. "Somebody help me! Please!" she thought as Youngjae grabbed her wrist.

"Get away from me!" she screamed, desperatley trying to get out of his grip.

"Shut up!" Youngjae said and slapped her. Eunhee cupped her burning cheek and a single tear slipped out of her eyes. 

At that moment, the teacher walked in.

"Kim Youngjae! What in the world do you think you are doing?! Apologize to Eunhee right now, young man! Go down to the office right now! And if I ever catch you hurting someone again, your parents will be getting a call from me about your rude behavior. Now go and speak with the principal!" the teacher exclaimed, rushing to Eunhee's side. Youngjae bowed his head and left with a scowl on his face.

"Eunhee, are you okay? Did he hurt you badly?" the teacher said, helping Eunhee up and wiping away her tears.

"Yes ma'am. I'm okay. He didn't hurt me too badly." she replied with a strained smile.

"Okay, well, if he bothers you again, tell me or another teacher right away, okay? I don't want you to get hurt anymore. I know he's been bothering you for quite a while now. So just speak up the next time he bothers you. We can solve the problem together, okay?"

"Yes, Mrs. Lee." Eunhee smiled. She hurried off, not wanting to be late for her next class.

But little did she know, someone had been listening to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Byun Baekhyun walked into his first period class, greeting his friends as he walked by them. He sat down in his seat, purposely ignoring one student in his class. During class, he noticed the girl sneaking glances at him. He sighed. "Why are you staring at me? I know you're staring at me..." he thought. It had taken him so much practice into ignoring her, and now he was pretty good at it.

Baekhyun bit down on his lip, restraining himself, as he watched his classmates bully Eunhee when she collected the homework. He kept his homework in his bag and pretended not to have done it, because he couldn't bring himself to bully her, but he didn't want to spoil everything he had worked up to and be the only one who didn't throw his homework at her. Just because of a stupid homework assignment, everything would be blown over. 

The bell rang, dismissing the children from their first period. As Baekhyun was leaving, he noticed that Eunhee hadn't come out of the classroom. He walked back to the classroom with a closed door. "Weird...I thought the doors were only allowed to be closed during the periods." he mentally told himself. As he walked closer to the door, he heard two voices.

"Where is the money? Stop hiding it from me!" a boy's voice spoke.

"I don't have it, I swear! I didn't get my allowance this week." a soft voice responded. "Isn't that Eunhee?" Baekhyun thought.

"Come on Eunhee, you know better than to resist me. Give me your money." the boy said. A few moments later, Baekhyun heard Eunhee scream. He fought his inner self from breaking his nonexistent presence in Eunhee's life. A slap rung in his ears, and he could hear Eunhee crying. "That's it. Screw keeping my existence in her life out, I'm saving her. How dare he slap her!" Just then, he saw the teacher coming down the hallway, and ran away, hiding behind the corner of the hallway. After waiting for a few minutes, he saw Eunhee walking out of the classroom, running in the opposite direction. He walked out of hiding and stared at her back.

"Kim Eunhee. I'm so sorry for not saving you. I'll work harder next time." 


A/N: Ummmmm hi! Thanks for reading this...I guess? Sorry that it's kinda short... Lol yeah this is my first time writing a fanfic on AFF so I'm still kinda a noob. Also, this is my first fanfic that I've made public. I don't even let my friends read my fanfics lol. Maybe they'll find this, maybe not. Anyways, yeah.... Keep reading, maybe? :D