Chapter 1

The Start Of Us

Haemi's pov

"This dress looks nice on you, Ms Choi," praised the saleslady, "you look beautiful and elegant." I thank her and decided to buy the dress. "Now, let's go to the room next to us for your makeup," she brought me there. This is my favorite place to go whenever there is an event that I'm involved in. I went here lots of times, but this is the first time with the aim for the Masquerade night. "It's finished. Now you're ready to go. Have fun!" She cheered me.

When I finished, I call my mom to pick me up. "Sweetie, you look so wonderful. I'm sure Hikaru will fall in love with you," my mother said with the tenderness in her eyes. "Thanks, mom. But I don't want him to like me other than as a best friend, because I consider him just as a brother, not more," I shook my head and gestured a 'Let's go!' expression. 

I have plenty of time left before the event started. Therefore, I'm going to introduce myself. I am Choi Haemi. I'm 18 years old. I went to Seisen International School, and I am a senior student now. The event I'm going to is the last event that will be held in the senior years, and I am so sad. I still want to enjoy more! I'm not even ready yet for the upcoming external exams. Oh! I'm also a daughter of Rantaro Company's CEO - one of the richest company in Japan - I have an older brother who's studying in MIT, majoring in technology businesses. 

"It's already six in the evening. I've got to go now, Hikaru will come in any minute. Bye, mom," I yelled from the living room and rushed out.

After a few minutes of waiting outside, I finally see his car reaching the front gate.

He looks so handsome when he got out of the car. I froze there and finally woke up from my dreamland when I heard he called my name thousands of times. "Haemi! Stop staring at me like that! I'm going to melt, you know?" he teased me. I just stood there in silence when I heard he said, "Woah, look! Haemi is blushing! Am I that dazzling? I have to take a picture of this and post it on the website. This is a MUST!" he grinned sinisterly. "Stop it! We're going to be late now. I'll wear my mask," I scolded him. He opened the car door and gestured to me to go in the car. What a gentleman, I never thought of him like this before. At. All.

We arrived in the hall and saw so many people with their mask on. "Welcome, seniors of Seisen! I am Fred, your host for today. I mean, tonight," he laughed at his own mistake. He must be nervous to host in front of us. "And I am Michelle! Everyone, please be ready to dance with your partner. Don't lose them, because you might be boo-ed for being forever alone," she chuckled at her joke. Well, that joke is just so ugh. I can't explain.

"Haemi, will you dance with me?" Hikaru reached out his hand waiting for my response, and I hold his hand and went to the dance floor. It feels so nice although I don't have any lover yet nor a first love. This dance was full of beauty, passion, and love. And by love, I mean, friendly love, of course. After the slow song finished, we sat at the nearest table for two to have a dinner. We talked about our memories together since kindergarten. 

I still remember when I first met him at the playground. I was crying while sitting on a swing because some kids bullied me, saying that I'm ugly and fat. He came to me, and hugged. "It's okay. Don't cry. What's your name?" He asked. "My name is H-H-Haemi." I said while weeping my tears away. "Oh, Haemi. Hi! I'm Hikaru. Let's be friends, okay? I'll treat you better than them, don't worry." He smiled and sent me home.

After eating, the hosts announced some important things to prepare before the exams. Shoot! I swear I'm not ready yet for the exams. Oh well, I have to, since I'll take over dad's company. When they finished announcing, the school director said his speech and the event is over. Sheesh, that old man is so boring. 

"Hikaru, I'm going home now. You may continue talking to your friends." I waved at him and went out of the school. I called my mom and told her that I'm going to wait outside the gate. As I sat on the bench a bit farther from the school, suddenly a hand with cloth covered my mouth and nose.