I'm Sorry

No Way Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

March 2009

As the year passed by, many arguments went down between Minji and Hyun Jae about deciding which school to go to. Hyun Jae was determined to get her daughter to attend a Catholic University while Minji was set on attending Seoul National University, since she was accepted into the medical nursing program. After many tears and fights, Hyun Jae finally agreed to let Minji attend the school that she wanted to go to, only with the exception of her taking Sunday school to learn about the religion more thoroughly.

Even though Minji was never into the religion, she only attended these schools because her mother sent them there. All she ever got about going to these schools were that real Catholic people were super strict. She also attended an all girls' school throughout her life, so she was pretty excited to finally attend a co-educational school without any uniforms. 

It was even better that Ha Yi was got admitted into the university as well, going in as a history education major. Dara was also the happiest, getting admitted to Yonsei University going in as a Mass Communication major.

As she was getting ready for her first day of college, she looked at herself in the mirror, fixing her medium length hair to be straight. She changed her outfit at least ten times already, settling on dark blue skinny jeans and a black cotton tank top, with a large gray cardigan, finishing off with a pair of black flats. She cupped her hands around her face to make sure her face was already good enough to actually go out. 

"Minji!" Minji heard her mother call from downstairs. She jumped a little, as Hyun Jae continued, "Sweetie, Dara and Yi are already here. You should come down soon. I have to check what you're wearing to school." 

"Coming, coming!" 

Minji quickly gathered her backpack together and placed her school schedule in the front of her planner, making sure everything was organized. 

Notebooks, check.

Folders, check.

Mechanical pencils, check.

Highlighters, check.

Sweet snacks for later, check. 

She closed up her blue backpack, with her favorite gunman keychain hanging from the zipper. A few minutes later, Dara came through the door to check up on her best friend. 

"Hello, hello!" Dara greeted excitedly, coming to lay down on the bed making, while Minji just smiled at the mirror again. Dara continued, "Ooh, you look nice today. You getting dressed for Jong In Oppa?" 

Minji glared at her and replied, "No. This isn't for Jong In Oppa. If Jong In Oppa looked at me when I dressed nice, I would've worn a ball gown or something." Dara slightly laughed, rolling her eyes. 

Over the past year, Minji and Jong In's status have stayed the same. She still had done the same things she had been doing for him, but he still saw her as air. He was already twenty years old, a junior in college, while she was eighteen and a freshman in college. Although she was attending the same college as him, she assumed that nothing was going to change.

Even though she had a little hope of it in the back of her mind. 

Jong In was still dating Krystal, but she hadn't really come to the house after the night of Jong In's birthday dinner. Ha Yi made it obvious that she didn't really like her and Eun Hee didn't want her to use their servants too much, since she knew Krystal was probably so used to it back at home. Eun Hee knew that Krystal was raised to be more than a princess, and that she wasn't going to change.

All Minji could really do was to keep doing what she was doing only to put a smile on Jong In's face. No matter how much it pained her to see Jong In with another girl. 

"Hey," Dara called Minji, sounding quite serious. Minji turned to look at her as Dara went on, "Try opening your heart to look at other guys. I don't want you to be too caught up with Jong In Oppa."

"You make it sound like he's gonna effect my grades."

"I know he doesn't effect your grades," Dara replied with a small grin, "But I know how much he effects you on your feelings." 

Dara really wanted Minji to move on from him, but she knew her friend wore her heart on her sleeve. She only wanted her to try even though it may have been difficult. Minji smiled and grabbed Dara's shoulders, "Girl, don't worry about that too much. I'll be fine with it." With that answer, Dara sighed to herself, knowing that Minji meant that she wasn't going to change her mind easily. 

"Girls!" Hyun Jae exclaimed very loudly from outside, making them jump again, "Do you want to make it to school on time? Ha Yi is waiting for you!" 

Minji and Dara looked at each other a little concerned. Dara lifted herself quickly off the bed, while Minji grabbed her backpack. Making sure her room was clean and organized, the two girls rushed out of the bedroom, sprinting downstairs. 

When they reached downstairs, they rushed themselves to the kitchen where Ha Yi, Hyun Jae and Kang Dae had been waiting for them. Minji nervously laughed while waving at Ha Yi, going to stand next to her. Hyun Jae coughed and looked at Minji, "Let me see what you're wearing." 

Minji walked over to her mother, softly grabbing her shoulders to check if her daughter was wearing the appropiate outfit for school. She spun Minji around to check if there were any rips, holes, stains or any other imperfections on her shirts. When she didn't seem to find any, she nodded her head and let go of Minji, "Your outfit is good today. You can go."

Hyun Jae then looked at Dara, then motioned for her to come to her as well. Dara gulped once and pointed to herself, "Me too Omma?" 

"You're not getting out of this easily either." 

Kang Dae laughed at all the girls, shaking his head and drinking his coffee. Minji moved away from her mother, going back to Ha Yi. Dara was wearing gray leggings with an oversized black sweater and black combat boots. The shirt had a small rip on both sides of the sleeves, making Hyun Jae ask, "Is the shirt supposed to be ripped like that?"

Dara quickly nodded her head and replied, "It's the style, Omma. It's supposed to be ripped." 

Hyun Jae let her go as well, making her sigh of relief. Ha Yi then laughed, pointing to herself, "Do you need to see me too Auntie?" Hyun Jae laughed and shook her head, "I'm sure your mother has you in shape with your outfits, Ha Yi. These two, I'm not so sure sometimes." 

Minji and Dara looked at each other, feeling like they were convicted. Ha Yi only grinned, smiling widely at everyone. Hyun Jae took a sip of her coffee and asked, looking at Dara, "You sure you're okay with dropping them off at school sweetie?"

"Of course Omma!" Dara exclaimed happily, "SNU is on my way to Yonsei's campus anyway. It's a piece of cake, no worries." 

"If you're ever tired or sleepy you can let me know," Hyun Jae said, very thoughtfully, "I can drop you girls off at school anytime. The distance is not far for me at all." 

The three girls smiled at her and nodded their heads. Ha Yi added, "Dara and I thought about switching on and off with driving. Since none of us are dorming, we think it's going to be good if we all go together in the morning and come back home together. Just like how Chanyeol Oppa and Jong In Oppa do when they go to school." 

Minji slightly looked down when she heard Jong In's name, linking her hands together. 

Hyun Jae nodded and replied, "I can't believe you girls can drive now. It feels like yesterday I was just teaching you how to drive." 

"Well," Dara put in, nudging her head towards Minji, "This one still has to learn." 

Minji widened her eyes, knowing that Dara was signaling a message to Hyun Jae. Hyun Jae only grinned and shook her head, "I'm not letting Minji drive that easily now. She still needs to learn a lot of things about the road." Dara pouted , knowing that it was a fail trying to get Minji to drive herself. 

Kang Dae then spoke up, waving his arms up, "You girls need to get going. You're gonna be stuck in traffic. I don't want you to be late for the first day of class."

"Dara," Hyun Jae called sternly, looking directly at her. Dara widened her eyes and asked, "Yes Omma?" 

"You'll drive safely right?" 

"I will drive exactly at the speed limit Omma," Dara said with a confident smile, saluting at her. Hyun Jae pointed at her and demanded, "Below is better." 

"Okay Omma," she silently replied, being a bit intimidated by her. 

Minji went up to hug her father, then her mother, waving at them excitedly. Hyun Jae demanded, pointing at Minji, "Message me when you're at school and before you come back home, okay?" As the three girls began walking out of the house, Minji agreed and exclaimed, "I will. Bye Omme, bye Appa!" 

Minji, Dara and Ha Yi walked out of the house happily and excited, ready to start their first day of college.

"I'm dropping you off right here," Dara announced, as she brought the car to a sudden brake. Minji, sitting in the back seat behind Dara, slammed her head into the headrest. She rubbed her forehead to ease the stinging pain that just hit her, silently whining to herself. 

"Geez Dara," Ha Yi complained, checking if her face was okay, "Didn't Auntie Hyun Jae say to drive safely?"

"I was driving safely until you guys were going back and forth about where to drop you off," Dara replied, beginning to mock the two of them, "My building is in the science hall, where do you think that is? My building is in the history building, where is that? Is it far away from each other? Where do you think we can get dropped off to walk at a good distance? Girl, I am dropping you off right here. I'm about to be late to my own class." 

Minji laughed and got out of the car, standing outside on the sidewalk to wait for Ha Yi. While Ha Yi got out, Minji adjusted her backpack strap to make herself comfortable. 

"Guys," Dara called before they departed. Ha Yi and Minji poked their heads at the car window as Dara asked, "You guys are done at four o'clock right?" 

"I'm done at three but I can wait for you. You're out at 4:30, right?" Minji replied. Dara nodded as Ha Yi added, "I'm out at four but take your time. We can wait for you." 

Dara agreed with them, as Ha Yi pulled out her schedule and walked off to the side while Dara immediately told Minji, "Hey." 

"Hmm?" Minji asked, lifting her head up and leaning against the car window. 

"Don't forget what I said this morning," she said, referring to her advice about Jong In. Minji grinned at her and nodded her head to agree. Dara continued, saying excitedly, "Tell me if you meet any cute guys." 

That made Minji burst out to a wide smile, rolling her eyes at Dara, "Go to class, girl. You're gonna be late. I'll see you around five, sound good?" 

"See you," she said happily, "

Concluding their conversation, Dara waved at both of them and drove off, finally leaving to go to her own class. Minji went up to Ha Yi and stood next to her, nudging her elbow, "You ready Yi Yi?" 

"I can't lie," she replied, rubbing her churning stomach, "I'm so nervous that my stomach is twisting." 

Minji laughed and grabbed her upper arm, "Don't be nervous. You'll have lots of fun." 

Ha Yi pouted and complained, "I wish I took some of the same classes as you. It might've been a little better." 

"You'll be fine."

"At least you and Jong In Oppa are in the same building for the majority of the day," she replied, continuing to complain, "He told me that he had two science classes in the medical building this semester. So you're lucky you still have him around you." 

Minji's eyes lit up as she heard his name and knew how they were in the same building. Then she thought to herself that was getting excited for nothing. It's not like Jong In was going to call her during their break anyway; they didn't have to each other's number. Ha Yi observed that she got quiet, remembering that they weren't close. She scratched head head with what she just said, wanting to slap herself because of her babbling. 

As Ha Yi scratched her head, she saw the sign in front of the modern and nice building written, College of Medicine. She smiled and said to her, "Hey you got even luckier."

"Hmm?" Minji responded, eyes widened. 

"You don't have to search for your building, it's right here." 

Minji lifted her head up to look at the beautiful glass building that took a majority of her view right now. Seeing the building got her even more to go to school here. She turned to Ha Yi and asked, "Do you want me to walk around with you to look for your building?"

"No, it's fine," she responded, shaking her head rapidly, "It's not that big now. I can find it. Go get to your class, you still have to look for your room."

"You sure?" Minji asked, feeling bad. 

Ha Yi nodded and assured, "Girl just go. This is a big building, you're gonna need to find the time to find the room. Go, go, go! I'll be fine. I'll text you when I find the room, okay?" Ha Yi pushed Minji towards the building, so she began to walk away from her, still feeling guilty that she was leaving her. Pouting , Minji turned her head back as Ha Yi waved her hand to keep going, "Min, don't worry about me."

Hesitantly walking, Minji let out a deep sigh and began heading towards her school building. It wasn't the only class she had in here, but it was the main building where she had to be most of the time. 

Well, no matter what was gonna happen, she repeated Dara's words in her head over and over again, trying to come through. She just didn't know if her heart was gonna let it come through.

"Minji," Seok Jin called as they were sitting next to each other during a lecture hall filled with approximately one hundred students. They took the middle section, sitting next to the exit door so they could get out easily. Minji turned to him sideways, since he was sitting on the right of her, staring up at his sweet face, "Hmm?"

He came in closer and whispered, "I can hear your stomach growling from here." 

"Really?" She whispered back with her eyes widened. She touched her stomach to try to get the growling sounds away, but she began hearing them herself. She gulped with worry, afraid other students would hear. Seok Jin smiled and asked her, "Did you not eat breakfast this morning?"

"No, I was in a rush to get here," she replied, making a sarcastic sad face, "I always eat something once I wake up. If I don't, my stomach ends up growling like this." 

Seohyun then nudged her, making Minji turn to her on the left, "Let's not talk about hearing it from here. I'm pretty sure the row behind us can here it." 

Minji began silently whining, rubbing her stomach to stop it from growling. 

Seok Jin and Seohyun were the two friends Minji got close to during orientation back in the beginning of February. Seohyun was also a nursing major, while Seok Jin was in the same department to be a doctor. However, since they hit it off during the first day of orientation, the three of them decided to take the same class together. 

Minji whispered to both of them, as she sat in the middle, "The hunger isn't the problem right now. The problem is that I have to go to the bathroom." 

"Then go," Seok Jin said softly, trying not to annoy other people. 

"Right now?" 

Seohyun laughed and rolled her eyes, "Girl, this isn't high school. You can get up to go to the bathroom during a lecture. Go get a snack at the vending machine while you're at it. I think your stomach needs it and I think the guys in the back row are making fun of you." 

Minji nodded and agreed with the two of them, grabbing a ziplock bag out from her backpack. She stared at the professor who seemed to be introducing the course very thoroughly, making sure he wasn't looking her way. She stood up quietly, crossing over Seohyun's legs without making her pants dirty from her shoes and slowly exited the big classroom. 

She sighed of relief when she went down the stairs and saw the lobby of her school building. She walked through the downstairs hall of the building, noticing that it was pretty quiet. This morning the tables and the chairs were filled with students chatting amongst each other, but right now, it was completely everything. She She was pretty happy seeing the main entrance again because the professor had been introducing his course for about fourty five minutes into the class already. And that class was supposed to last two and a half hours. She pulled out her small ziplock bag, which contained her potato puffs that she had made last night to pack as a snack for today. 

Seeing ten of them, she pulled one out happily as she began to chew on one. As she headed towards the bathroom, she closed her eyes in satisfaction, enjoying the potato puffs she made.

She laughed at herself, being grateful that she knew how to cook for herself; otherwise she'd have to go through being hungry for the next two hours. Her mother had told her not to eat in the classroom because it was disrespectful to the professor teaching their lesson, so of course, Minji listened. 

As she saw the door to the bathroom, she walked to it, about to push against it open. As her hand was against the door, Jong In had passed by a far distance from her, making her turn her head around to look at him. He was holding his backpack, looking like he was about to exit the building. She got slightly excited, trying to think of what to do as fast as she could. 

"Jong In Oppa!" She exclaimed to try to get him to hear. Jong In heard his name being called, got slightly confused but turned around to see Minji. He sighed loudly, looking at the time to make sure he wasn't late to go see Krystal. He turned to her and gave her a small wave, as she completely forgot about going to the bathroom and walked quickly to go see him.

When Minji reached up to him, Jong In started, "What's up kid? What are you doing?" She grinned at him as they stood in front of each other and answered, "I came out to go to the bathroom. Did you just get out of class?" 

He sighed and nodded, "Yeah. Five minutes ago."

"Are you gonna go get lunch?" 

He squinted his mouth and shook his head, "No, I'm just going to the library. Krystal has class in fifteen minutes so she needs me to go see her before she goes in." As Minji stayed a little quiet, Jong In saw her questioned face and continued, "We all know how she is." 

She pouted and nodded, trying to make an understanding of that. Minji just guessed that Krystal was clingy to Jong In, wanting to see him all the time. 

"You heading to class?" Jong In asked casually. 

Minji smiled at him and shook her head, "No. I needed to go to the bathroom so I took a break from the lecture."

"Skipping class, Ji Ji?" 

She widened her eyes and quickly shook her head, "No, no, no. I really came to take a bathroom break. And my friends said my stomach was growling, so I came to eat these." Minji raised her small plastic bag of potato puffs and waved them in Jong In's face, showing them off. He slightly laughed and put his hands on his waist, "Of course it's gotta be something with food." 

"How's your first day of junior year so far?" She asked, trying to bring up a conversation. 

"It's going good, the classes just keep getting harder and harder, but I like it," he answered, pretty happily. Without continuing the conversation, Minji just stood there awkwardly trying to think of something more to say. 

"What time's your next class?" She asked curiously. He took a glance at his watch and replied, "It's at 1. Shouldn't you go back to class now though?"

"I just came out two minutes ago," she responded with a slight laugh, "I'll go back soon though."

"Don't go on bathroom breaks too much kid. It might turn into even longer breaks."

Minji smiled happily due to the action of him giving advice to her. She stood there, shrugging her shoulders up to contain her meekness. Nodding her head in agreement, she replied, "Okay Oppa." 

He patted his stomach a little and mentioned, "I should go grab something to eat though. I'm getting hungry myself." She scratched her nose nervously, admiring his smile. She hesistated a little, but then pointed to the plastic bag and asked, "Do you want a potato puff? I made it last night. They're pretty good."

"No, it's fine kid," he said, shaking his head, "I do want those chicken tarts again though. Those were pretty good." 

Her eyes widened with excitement as she lifted her head up to look at him, "I can make some for you, Oppa. If you like it, I can make it for you." 

"Really?" 

She nodded her head, assuring that she would do it for him. He then reached out to pat her head twice, quickly taking it off and replying, "Thanks Ji Ji." 

Minji just stood there, knowing that she was going to have a good day. 

From a farther distance, Krystal stood behind one of the poles in the building watching Jong In tap Minji's head a few times. Krystal was glad that she had come to the building herself, since she wanted to surprise Jong In after he got out of class. But to her own surprise,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter