You're The Best Brother

No Way Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taecyeon sat in his office for a majority of the day, thinking and gathering everything that had happened in the past few months that led up to Minji avoiding him and his family. If she was already four months pregnant, the incident of her making a baby with someone would have happened in June, which was ironically the same month of Ha Yi's death. 

He stared down at all the scattered papers upon his desk, drawing all the images in his head to add everything together. During the night of Ha Yi's funeral, Jong In was the one to take her home but he also came back home super late that night. He also completely lied saying that he had dropped her off at Dara's condominium, but he knew that it wasn't true. He came back home a complete mess that night and said that Minji wanted to get dropped off at Dara's condo, when her mother never sleepovers at another place no matter how much she trusts a person. 

If Minji was really pregnant, the only possible person could have been Jong In, because she's never been involved with any guys in her lifetime. He also knew that Minji wasn't the person to sleep around with guys easily, so it couldn't have been anyone else. Also, Minji was also a very responsible person, so it couldn't have been possible that she wanted this to happen. The only person that would only make sense right now is one guy... One guy that he didn't even want to think about. 

He sighed out loud, feeling highly stressed until his head began to ache heavily. 

"How the hell would that have happened though?" Taecyeon asked himself, trying to add the entire situation up together. When he stared at a picture that was on his office desk of him, Jong In and Ha Yi, he shook his head and questioned to himself, "Jong In?" 

The day after Ha Yi's funeral, he remembered going into the hospital and seeing someone who looked like Dara running into one of the emergency rooms where all the victims had been placed. Even Doctor Yoona said that that patient was an eighteen year old girl who got and got dropped off to the hospital by a taxi driver; everything added up in the worst way possible. 

He slammed his drawers of his desk back to where it belonged and stood up, heading over to the emergency department to see Doctor Yoona. He walked quickly over for a decent five minutes, immediately going over to the counter and getting the attention of the receptionist who had been working today.

"Oh, Dr. Kim, what brings you here today?" She asked Taecyeon, flashing him a wide smile. Keeping his distressed face, he sighed loudly and answered, "Is Dr. Yoona here today? I have some issues to discuss with her." 

She gave an apologetic facial expression and shook her head, "I'm afraid she's not in today, Dr. Kim. The only doctor in right now is Dr. Jung. Dr. Im will be in again by tomorrow afternoon. Is it an emergency?" 

"What time tomorrow?" Taecyeon asked back quickly, still determined to see Doctor Yoona. "I need to see her as soon as she gets in the hospital." 

Jong In was standing on top of a building, feeling lost and confused to where he was right now. The sky was pitch black and it seemed like the building he was standing upon was isolated from everything else. He looked out to look down to figure out where he was standing, but he looked down to see complete darkness. 

He looked down to see an entirely pitch black area, not knowing where it led to. 

Was there even a way down this isolated building?

A few moments later, he heard an eerie cry from a familiar sounding girl that made him turn around instantly, looking to see who it was. His heart began to race faster, not being able to see the girl who he had heard crying. All he knew was that it sounded familiar and it sounded heartbreaking. He began to walk around the rooftop, looking around for the crying that wouldn't just stop. 

"Yi?" He asked out, looking up and down and around to find that strange cry. The cry sounded heartbreaking, also saddening to him because she sounded like she was hurt. He ran his hands through his hair and became paranoid to who was crying, since he couldn't find the person. He shut his eyes for a few moments, opening back up to see a girl in a short black dress with pale skin and medium length hair, with her back turned to him. He began to walk closer to her and narrowed his eyes to get a clear view of who it was, finally realizing who it was. 

Minji.

He walked closer to her and saw her entire body shaking, hearing her cry even louder. He didn't want to say her name because he wanted to go closer to her to see if it was actually her. As he stepped close to her, all she could hear was crying and seeing the side of her face, biting down on his lip to see that it was actually her.

She didn't turn to look at him and he said with a trembling tone, "Ji Ji?" 

She slowly turned around to him and revealed her light skinned face, still crying as she stared at him with an agonizing expression. She looked like her world had shattered, feeling helpless and lifeless. She gulped once and began to talk with a saddened voice, "Jong In Oppa." 

"Where are we? What are we doing here?"

"I'm leaving Oppa," she continued crying, tears rushing down her face that made her entire face soaked. "I don't think you'll see me again." 

"Leaving? To where?" 

"Where else can I go?" She said, staring right into his eyes. "You're the reason I have to go. You're the reason I have to leave." Jong In narrowed his eyes at her with a questioned face as she went on crying, "You ruined my life." 

He looked at her with a blank stare, feeling speechless to respond to anything she was saying. He blinked a few times without saying anything as she shook her head and continued, "I was stupid to believe that you would actually feel guilty for all of this." 

"Ji Ji, I -"

"Bye Jong In Oppa, I hope you have a happy life," Minji said at last, finally pulling her legs over towards the edge of the rooftop. She looked at him once more with the same saddened facial expression, leaving Jong In lost to what he could have done. As she sat at the edge of the building, she looked down and jumped off, making him widen his eyes in fear. 

"Ji Ji!" He yelled, seeing her entire body go down, so he grabbed onto the edge to see her body falling down.

Jong In gasped for air as he woke up in the middle of the night in his bedroom, seeing that it was completely pitch black surrounding him. He touched his face to realize that what he just saw was just a dream, breathing heavily to relieve himself from the horrible images he just saw. He put his hands on his forehead, feeling the sweat dripping his entire face, swallowing down the saliva he had since he was extremely thirsty. 

He felt tired and restless, feeling like he had just fought a war with someone. He replayed everything he just saw in his nightmare, still seeing Minji's face so vividly in his brain. 

"Ji Ji," he whispered to himself, staring out his window since it was the only light source coming from his pitch black room. "Where the hell did you go?" 

As Jong In got dismissed from class, he felt like he had just woken up from hearing the professor's voice, making him realize that he dozed off in class. He looked around the big lecture hall to see everyone gathering their materials together and leaving the room, making him groan a little. He scratched his head and quickly got his backpack over his shoulders, since he didn't even take anything out of it. 

When he was about to exit the building, he saw the heavy rain pouring all over the campus. He scratched his head as he lazily pulled over his black sweater to put on, and placed the hoodie over his head so he wouldn't be soaked. He threw his backpack over his shoulders again and walked outside, feeling the rain hit his head through his hoodie drop by drop. 

He began sprinting towards the cafeteria, remembering that Krystal had messaged her during class to say that she was already waiting in the cafeteria. As the doors slid open when he walked in, he saw Krystal sitting at the small table near one of the food stands, quickly walking over to her. When he reached to the table, he placed his backpack on the floor and the sound got Krystal's attention to look up. 

When she looked at him settling his belongings down, she started to smile and started, "Hi baby. How was class?"

"Boring, as usual. I fell asleep this time," he answered shortly, taking his phone out to put on the table. Krystal nodded her head and continued asking, "Are you hungry? I bought some noodles but I couldn't finish it all. I was hoping you could help me finish it." Jong In sat down and pressed against his face, trying to wake himself up from the sleepiness. He didn't feel like eating, because he was overly tired to put anything in his mouth at the moment. Krystal's facial expression slightly changed, realizing that he was probably in a bad mood since he wasn't answering her with anything.

She pushed the box of noodles towards him and smiled sweetly at him, "I'll put it right here in case you want to eat some."

"Thanks." 

She looked at him, noticing that he looked tired due to his sleepy face and the dark circles under his eyes. She leaned closer to him and asked, "Are you alright babe? It looks like you didn't sleep last night."

"I barely slept last night," Jong In finally replied, still staring down at the table without looking at Krystal. "I kept having weird dreams and I kept waking up in the middle of the night. I don't know what's wrong with me."

"Are you stressed about anything?" 

"I don't think I am," Jong In said with a shrug, finally looking at her with a careless face. "I wasn't even studying for any exams, so I don't get what I would be stressed about." 

"I mean, it was raining and thundering since last night," Krystal stated, looking out the window to see the dreary weather. "Maybe the thunder and lightening was keeping you from having a good sleep." 

"Rain, thunder and lightening has never affected my sleeping patterns. I can always sleep no matter what." 

"It is pouring out. Ugh, I hate the rain so much. My hair and my outfit always gets so messy when the weather is like this," she said, making him roll his eyes a little. She began smiling at him and grabbed his hands from across the table, "Come stay at home with me tonight. I'll let you get plenty of rest."

"I don't think that's a good idea. I should go back home to get some rest. If I go stay at your house, there's no guarantee that I'll get any sleep." 

She pouted and shook his hands a little, starting to whine, "Hmm, Jong In, please. I promise I'll let you sleep tonight. Appa's not coming home either, so you don't even have to worry about that. I want you to come over my house tonight, you haven't stayed over for the longest time. I'm starting to miss you." 

"I see you almost everyday, just because we don't sleep in the same bed, doesn't mean you should miss me." 

"Jong In," she continued whining, holding onto his hands even tighter. "Please babe. I just want you to stay with me for the night. I need help to do a business plan drawing for one of my assignments, then I promise I'll let you sleep." He began to scratch his head from all the whining he was hearing from her, knowing that she was going to continue this even if he said no. She went on and fussed to him, "There's thunder and lightening later tonight too. You know how much I'm afraid of the lightening when it roars in the sky. I don't wanna sleep alone tonight." 

"We've been dating for over two years," Jong In replied annoyed. "I'm pretty sure this isn't the only day that it rained over the course of two years." 

"But I never caught you on a day that it rained."

"So you're saying it's been rainbows and sunshine ever since we started dating?" Jong In questioned, looking at Krystal with a questioned face, since she didn't know what the hell she was talking about. "You know you just sound like a little girl right now? I'm pretty sure you've slept under lightening and thunder without me." 

"Okay, number one, I don't like sleeping alone when there's thunder and lightening so I prefer not to sleep alone if there's an option. Number two, I need help with my business plan assignment. And number three, I really do miss you. Please babe, just come stay over with me tonight. I promise I'll let you rest as much as possible. Just stay with me so I can stop missing you." 

"I don't have a car today though. Chanyeol dropped me off at school today." 

"That's perfectly fine," Krystal said happily, knowing that Jong In was finally agreeing to go with her. "Appa's gonna pick me up anyway today to drop me off at home and go to his meeting. Just tell Chanyeol that he doesn't need to stop by the school and that you're coming home with me. That sounds like a perfect plan. It's the weekend too, so you can go home either tomorrow or Sunday." 

Jong In rolled his eyes and groaned, wondering if he was ever going to get any rest after being overly tired. He also didn't want to tell Krystal that he was slightly stressing over his nightmare about Minji - because that's something that has not left his head since last night. 

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" Dara asked Minji as they stood nearby the line that was supposedly the exact location to check in at the airport. Minji nodded her head and replied, "I'm not turning back now." Dara only nodded her head as Minji saw her distressed face, making her worried and asked, "Are you sure you wanna do this? I don't want you to feel like you have to come with me if you're not gonna be happy about it." 

Dara shook her head and responded, "I told you... Wherever you are, I have to be there. I'm not staying anywhere if you're not gonna be there." 

Minji felt so thankful as she grabbed onto her hands and looked at her contently, "Thank you. Thank you for always being there for me. You're really the only person who understands everything about me. But this really is a big change for you, I just want to make sure you can leave everything behind." 

"Minji, what do I have?" She asked, trying to make Minji remember her life. "Yeah, it's a big change, but you need to realize that I'm not leaving anything behind. I don't have anyone or anything to leave behind besides the bodyguards who look out for me at the condominium." 

Minji slightly pouted, feeling bad that Dara had to sneak away from the guards at her condominium as quietly as she could so no one could catch her while she was in the process of doing it. Dara saw her frown and pinched her cheeks, raising her voice up, "Yah, don't make that face. I made the decision to come with you, so smile for me. We're doing this together. I'm not letting you be alone when you're going through a hard time right now." 

She nodded her head, sighing loudly to show her understanding. Dara looked back for a split second then back to Minji and said, "Wait right here. I need to go to the bathroom real quick. I've haven't peed since I began sneaking out of my condo, you know how long that took? I had to climb down ladders and everything just so they wouldn't find me."

Minji slightly laughed and nodded her head again, making Dara let go of her hands to go to the bathroom. She was really grateful to have Dara in her life and standing by her every step of the way, but she couldn't help but feel bad that she was leaving behind everything. The condominium that she was staying at was nice and elegant which made her live a simple life.

Even though she was alone, the bodyguards took care of her well because she was a minor living by herself. Minji couldn't help think about her parents as she ran away with everything, wondering how they were doing right now. Were they still angry with her? Were they even sad that she had run away? Were they happy that she was gone? Did they really not consider her as a daughter anymore? She just didn't know what was happening right now. 

She hoped that leaving the country would clear her mind and her senses from all the bad things that went down in her life. She just needed to get away from everything before her mind and heart had exploded. 

She stood there holding onto her backpack straps, taking a last glimpse of the last place she'll see in Korea for a while. 

"Dr. Yoona!" Taecyeon yelled out, seeing Yoona heading towards her office. She slightly stopped and turned around, seeing Taecyeon run up to her. She tucked her hair behind her ears and gave him his attention as he finally reached up to her. He stood in front of her, hearing that he was out of breath as she asked, "Dr. Kim. Are you alright? I heard you've been asking for me since yesterday. Is everything okay?" 

"I have an extremely important question to ask you," Taecyeon finally started, breathing heavily to get his heart racing back to normal. Yoona began to look at him seriously as he said, "It's about one of the patients. The case happened four months ago, I need to know the name of the patient." 

Yoona looked around and opened the door to her office, nudging her head and told Taecyeon, "Go on in." Taecyeon entered her office, seeing her organized room, mostly filled with white and bright colors. She shut the door and went up to him to ask, "What patient do you need to know about?" 

"A patient named Gong Minji," Taecyeon said straightly, not trying to hide anything. He needed to know right at this moment to get the entire story clear. "The case should have happened four months ago during the middle of June."

Yoona tried to gather her memories together to remember the situation because she remembered Gong Minji quite well. Most of the patients that came in always wanted to do a kit in order to use for evidence in case they wanted to use it in an investigation. A lot of patients also reported to the police of their situation, but Gong Minji was strangely the opposite.

She came in knowing that she has been and she wanted to drop the entire matter within a heartbeat. Yoona also remembered vividly that the person who dropped her off was a taxi driver, immediately suspecting him as a . 

She sighed and went over to her shelf where she kept all the documents, opening her drawers to find records of her from June. As she placed it all in alphabetical order, Yoona automatically went towards the G, trying to find the tab with the last name of Gong. After a few seconds of finding it, she finally found Gong Minji, pulling it out and opening it in front of Taecyeon. 

"Gong Minji was the teenage patient that I had who was fully aware that she was , but she denied to do the kit and she also requested that none of us or our hospital staff would report it to the police. Dr. Kim, you know this girl right?" 

Taecyeon nodded his head and answered, "I was an extremely close family friend of hers. I just want to know what happened to her because I saw her that night before she went off with..." He drifted off as he answered Yoona, stopping himself as he was about to mention Jong In. Yoona looked at him curiously as he went on and corrected him, "I just saw her that night. A few hours before she was . She was my sister's best friend, I saw her at the funeral before she this incident happened to her." 

Yoona nodded her head, believing every word that he said. She went on and looked at the profile, barely looking at Taecyeon, "She said she knew who her but she didn't want to press charges against him. I tried getting a reasoning from her but all she said to me was that it would be problematic towards her family. I've never had a patient whose been able to let it go so easily."

"She knew who her?" 

"Yes." 

"And it wasn't the taxi driver?" 

"No, we did a DNA test for him to check for evidence and it didn't match with hers," Yoona replied, turning to look at Taecyeon. "Why are you concerned about this patient right now? The incident happened four months ago, I thought it would have dissolved by now."

"Nothing like this ever dissolves, Dr. Yoona," Taecyeon replied, placing his hands on his waist. He clenched his teeth together and whispered to himself, "She didn't press charges because it would be problematic towards her family. How the hell would it be problematic towards them?"

"Dr. Kim," Yoona called, getting Taecyeon's attention again. "Why does it sound like you know more about this now than you did before? You're the one who asked me about her when the incident happened." Taecyeon looked at her, remembering the exact night on Ha Yi's death that he had gone to pick up a profile document over at the emergency department for one of his patients. He remembered Dara sprinting right passed his eyes and he asked Yoona about the current situation that had been going on that day. 

She was brutally by a guy and he happened to put her in a taxi, that luckily helped her get to the hospital since she fainted right in the car. Taecyeon sighed and replied, "The day of the incident, I didn't think deeply about it. Because I didn't think it was possible that all of this would happen to her." 

"Would you have any idea who the is?" Yoona asked directly, looking at him quite concerned. "She obviously knows who the is, but would you know? Do you have any idea of who it could be?"

Taecyeon only shook his head, feeling overly stressed that he knew what happened. He replayed everything that Jong In ever said to him that led up to Ha Yi's funeral, remembering that he absolutely hated Minji even before that incident happened. 

There was only one person who caller her to come out the night of ther death. Was it not her that called Ha Yi out to pick her up in the pouring rain? When she was freaking sick with a high fever in bed? Yi tells that girl everything about her daily life from morning to night. You expect me to believe that she didn't know that? Ha Yi practically caters to that girl. Who knows? Maybe it does effect her. You probably just don't know it. Who knows what's going

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter