You're Gonna Be The First

No Way Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

December 2007

As Krystal and Naeun were eating lunch after their class together ended, they were both eating quite differently. Naeun seemed to be enjoying her noodle soup while Krystal sat across from her with a sulky face. 

"Girl, what's wrong with you?" Naeun asked, mumbling through her food, "You haven't even touched your food and you're the one who invtied me to eat lunch with you. It looks like I'm the hungry one now." 

Krystal was waiting for Jong In to get out of class at 5:00, with the time being 4:35 right now. But she was frustrated that Jong In told her that he had to rush home right after class because his mother needed to see him. Krystal kept clicking her tongue and teeth together, getting Naeun annoyed by her best friend. 

"Krystal, if you don't tell me why you look so down," she said, beginning to threaten, "The soup that you haven't touched is about to go down your pretty little face." 

Krystal shot her head up, still frowning at Naeun and sighed loudly, "Jong In has to go home early today." Naeun rolled her eyes and groaned, "I should've figured it was about Jong In. What did he do now? Did he breathe?" Naeun attempted to make a joke to tell Krystal that her boyfriend was one of the quietest guys ever. Naeun was alright with him being Krystal's boyfriend, but she would've appreciated it more if he tried to hold a conversation with her. 

Krystal glared at her, throwing a bread crumb at her face, snapping back, "Yeah. Real funny, Naeun. Don't say that so much, he might get mad." 

"What right does he have to get mad at me?" Naeun exclaimed, quite appauled by Krystal's statement, "He barely even talks to me to be having any emotions towards me. You know I still wonder how you two started dating? Like did Jong In type words to you during your computer class together? Because I would believe that more. You know I thought Kris was quiet... I take my words back, Kris is a social butterfly compared to your Jong In." 

"And why did you have to bring him up?" 

"I am just saying," Naeun implied, sticking her tongue out at her, "Seriously though. What did Jong In do now? Why does your face look so down?"

"It's Thursday." 

"And?"

"Every Thursday, Jong In and I go to have dinner together. You already know this." 

Naeun sighed, rolling her eyes, continuing, "And?" 

"Ugh, he has to bring his mom to the hospital today because no one's home right now." 

"Dang girl, you're upset about that? His mom could be bleeding to death and you're still worrying about your dinner with him?" 

"It's not that!" She cried, making Naeun jump back, "What kind of person do you think I am? Yeah, I'm upset that he can't have dinner with me tonight but I'm not gonna keep him from going to see his mother." 

Naeun rolled her eyes, snickering while recalling, "I don't know girl. You did it last time when Kris wanted to see his mother when you guys had a date night with each other. You looked you were choke him if he chose to go see his mother." 

Krystal puckered her lips together in disgust, trying not to remember her past lover. Krystal rested her elbows on the table, indirectly complaining, "At least he took me to meet his mother." 

Naeun groaned loudly, responding, "I am about to smack you because your statements are going nowhere. I don't really know what you're mad about. Can you just freaking tell me why you're sulking over him like this?" 

"We've been dating for 8 months! We have dating since April," she shouted, using hand gestures, "He hasn't even taken me to meet his family yet nor does he have any sign that he's going to take me anytime soon." 

"Oh goodness," Naeun said with an annoyed sigh, throwing her chopsticks down. 

"Right?" Krystal replied dumbly, making Naeun roll her eyes again. Krystal continued to complain, while forming a fist, "He already met Appa way long ago. I don't know why he won't take me to go introduce for his family. It's just frustrating. Like if you're taking your mom to go to the hospital, why can't you take me too? He clearly knows I'm free after school Thursdays." 

"Girl, I am applying goodness to you," Naeun corrected, with an agitated voice, "You can't force meeting your boyfriend's family. That's just crazy." 

"How is that crazy? It just shows my sincerity."

"Yeah, your sincerity and your insecurities. With a nice top notch of craziness. Girl, don't do that. You want to make a good impression on his mother, you can't let her know that you're crazy yet. That's too fast." 

"I am not crazy." 

"If you force him to take you to meet his family, I'd say your level of craziness is at the verge of extreme." 

"I just don't understand," she groaned, closing her eyes, "It's just meeting people. Why won't he just do it?" 

Naeun continued eating, trying to ignore her at the moment. Another thought popped into Krystal's mind, making her ask to Naeun, "Do you think he has other girls? That's why he won't take me to introduce him to his family. That's probably it. Ugh, whose are those es?"

Naeun's eyes widened in shock, "Girl, the only  he has is you. Why are you insulting other girls like that when he doesn't even have any?" Krystal glared at Naeun and raised her hands up, "It's possible. He doesn't take me back home or lets me meet his family." 

Naeun broke out laughing, leaving Krystal giving her a discontented face. When Naeun calmed down with the laughing, she only giggled a bit, extremely amused, "Krystal! The guy doesn't even talk to me. What makes you think he'll talk to other girls, huh?"

Krystal groaned loudly, resting her hands against her chin and leaned against the table with her elbows, "I just want to feel like I mean something to him. It'd be nice. You know how he is. He barely shows any affection to me besides one time."

"Why are you going crazy over this anyway?" Naeun asked, suddenly being able to think about it, "Oh God." 

Krystal looked at her guilty, knowing that she was going to guess correctly. Naeun sighed loudly and asked very casually, "You already slept with him, didn't you?" 

Krystal slowly nodded her head as Naeun's mouth hung open, asking, "When?" 

"A month ago," she answered, sounding guilty. Naeun continued, rolling her eyes, "How many times already?"

"That was the only time so far," she answered, sighing, "And that was the first." 

Naeun looked at Krystal with an annoyed face, shaking her head and sighed in a disappointed tone, "See? It's only once the part comes into play that will get Krystal Jung crazy."

"I am not crazy!" Krystal hissed, throwing another crumb at Naeun. Naeun exclaimed back, "Girl, I am your best friend. I know you more than anyone. I know when you get crazy, okay?" 

"Why is Krystal crazy?" The two of them heard a familiar voice as Krystal turned around to see Jong In. She exclaimed happily, "Jong In!" She smiled as he took the empty seat next to her. He waved at Naeun without saying anything, so she turned to Krystal to signal her point. Krystal only rolled her eyes as she around to give Jong In a kiss on the cheek, "How was class?" She asked as she pulled away, "Why'd you get out so early?"

"It was a big lecture room so I just let when the professor was showing the class a video towards the end of class."

"Aw, you got out early just to come see me?" She said sweetly, pinching his cheeks, "You're the sweetest." 

He only grinned as he asked, "You're not eating your noodles?" 

"No, I got full after the first bite," she replied, sliding the bowl over to Jong In. 

Naeun raised her eyebrow, staring at them in confusion. "Sweet?" Naeun whispered to herself, sulking , "My cat is sweeter than him, and she hates me with a passion." Naeun then recalled when Krystal dated Kris, a guy who was originally from China but he moved to Korea during his freshman year of high school. He immediately started dating Krystal his third month at the school and he had broken up with her a few days after their one year anniversary. Krystal was overly protective of him too so Naeun figured he couldn't handle it anymore, then broke up with her. However, Naeun secretly liked Kris better than Jong In because he actually interacted with his friends; Jong In just looked like he cared about Krystal's friend to say a simple hello. Then again, Krystal always liked guys on the quiet side. Although, Jong In went beyond the lines of being quiet, he couldn't even say a simple hello sitting down across the table from her. 

But this was her best friend's happiness, not hers. 

Krystal continued asking, sitting close to Jong In, "Do you still have to see your Omma tonight?" 

"Yeah," he replied with a nod, "She has to go get a cadiovascular check-up. No one's home to take her." 

"Do you want me to come with you?" She asked, eager for him to say yes. He shook his head and slightly grinned, replying, "It's okay. Just stay here with Naeun. I have to go with Chanyeol anyway to get the car."

"You know my name?" Naeun asked, widening her eyes very big. Jong In glanced at her with a confused face, while Krystal glared at her. 

Krystal ignored her and whined to Jong In, carressing his neck with her index finger, "But I wanted to see you. You know Thursdays are our date night and I don't have class tomorrow. That means I won't see you all weekend." 

Naeun rolled her eyes, forcefully eating her noodles. Jong In chuckled and asked, "What are you doing on Saturday? I can drive down to go see you... I mean, if Appa's okay with it." 

She pouted, inhaling her frustration in. Why wasn't Jong In ever inviting her to his house at all?

"Probably," she answered, a little sadly, "But if you wanna come over, you have to give me something in return." 

"In return?" Jong In asked with a small laugh, "I wasn't aware that I was returning anything." 

She smiled and started to rub onto his legs, indicating what she wanted. Jong In started to get flustered, gulping nervously, since she was seducing him in front of her best friend. He got a little embarrassed everytime she got affectionate with him, since he was such a private person. He slowly tried getting her hands off of him, but she didn't stop. Naeun started getting really uncomfortable, coughing and abruptly standing up, "I'm going now. I forgot I had an assignment." She pushed her noodles aside and placed down her share of money for her food, "I'll see you guys later." 

As she walked away, Jong In waved and said, "Bye Naeun." She stopped back to look at him with a puzzled face and pointed to herself, "You're talking to me?" 

Krystal glared at her, with piercing eyes, while Naeun immediately excused herself, "I'm kidding girl. I'll see you later, my goodness." Naeun left the outdoor restaurant with her purse dangling around her stomach as Jong In smiled as she left. 

Krystal frowned and pointed at Jong In, glaring at him, "Why are you looking at my friend? Are you checking her out?" 

"Yah," he exclaimed, widening his eyes in shock, "Why would I be checking her out? I just feel bad for her. I think you made her feel uncomfortable." Krystal rolled her eyes, knowing that Jong In used that excuse when he didn't want her to show any affection in public. 

"Oh she'll get over it," Krystal assured, resting her head on Jong In's shoulders, "She doesn't have her own boyfriend so she doesn't know how being affectionate is." 

Jong In slightly rolled his eyes, amused by Krystal as he slurped from the straw of his can soda. She took her chin off his shoulders and hugged his arm instead, asking, "Are you sure you don't want me to go to the hospital with you and your Omma?"

Jong In started to question her repetitive question, asking back, "Why do you keep asking me the same question when I gave you an answer already?" 

She leaned back a little, pouting and whining, "Why are you bieng feisty with me?"

"I'm not being feisty," he replied, with a loud sigh, "I just want to know why you want to come with me so much." She crossed her arms and shrugged, "I'm free. And it is a good time to actually go meet your Omma. You know, I haven't met anyone in your family yet? Your mom, your brother or your sister. I just wanna meet them." 

"They're not that great now," Jong In joked, "You make it sound like you're going to meet the queen and her family or something." 

"Jong In," she called sternly, fidgeting around like a child, "You know what I mean. We've been dating for so long and you've met Appa plenty of times. I think it should be my turn to meet your family." 

He sighed and assured himself, "It's because your house and the hotel your Appa owns is only fifteen minutes away from our campus. My house is fourty five minutes away." 

"Chanyeol sees them all the time," she continued to complain, crossing her arms. 

"Chanyeol's house is ten minutes away from me," Jong In stated, slightly annoyed by her complaints, "And he goes to Yonsei University. You kn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter