Sold

One Shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Submitted a short story for school a while back, just wanted to post on here and change the character names. A little dramatic, but please tell me what you think.

Mainly just Gong Minji, featuring Tiffany Hwang and Kwon Ji Yong.  

Being woken up by constant banging that echoed throughout the hallways of this home were not the most pleasant sounds to hear right now. Given the time, I wanted to assume it was roughly around four in the morning, since the skies were still pitch black and my eyes were burning like crazy as I tried to get them to open. They were banging, knocking and kicking all the doors that were among this corridor… So roughly that I thought the old, rusty, wooden white doors were going tumble over into the room. After the loud sounds presumably woke all of us up, their deep hoarse voices began yelling out among the hallways, echoing towards all of the rooms.

They said something in Korean that I couldn’t particularly make out, but I could partially understand what they were trying to get across by trying to grasp a few words. As I sat up on the bed that squeaked every single time I moved only an inch, I opened my eyes to the view of the pitch-black room. There wasn’t even a light shining from the one miniature window that was located in the middle of the room, but that was never a surprise. I don’t even know why I still haven’t gotten used to it. My head began to pound, probably just as hard as the guys who were slamming on the doors to wake all of the girls up.

I coughed a little to get my voice back and looked over to my roommate, Tiffany, who seemed to be sleeping through all the commotion going on. It always surprised me how heavy of a sleeper she was, but it wasn’t anything I wasn’t used to. Maybe I was just a light sleeper – I never got any decent sleep ever since I was forced to live in this hellhole. Full sleep was never on my agenda because I was always the one the customers chose to work with the most. It got annoying at times, but I would rather risk giving people my body rather than giving those guys my life.

Well, not that I had a life.

“Tiffany,” I called for her, not sure if she was even awake or not. “You really sleeping through all of this?”

There wasn’t an answer for a good fifteen seconds, so I figured she was still knocked out. Well, she did work with three different customers last night, so it’s understandable why she was so tired. She was also one of the girls that the clients chose to work with the most, that was probably why we got to be roommates. We were barely in our rooms. The only time we were actually in our room was to sleep for a few torturous hours then wake up again to these guys banging on our door, forcing us out to go please the customers. When I looked at Tiffany who was still sleeping, I groaned to myself and answered for her pathetically, “That’s a yes.”

The volume of the guys yelling began to increase and came closer to our room, but I still wasn’t able to make out what they said. If they had talked a little slower, I would’ve been able to grasp it, but they were yelling so fast that I could barely pick it up. That’s part of the reason I was put in the room with Tiffany. She was the other Korean American girl that was thrown into the house, but she knew the language much better than I did. I never had the motivation to learn the language because I didn’t really come back to the country. I mean, why would I? My mom ran away from home so she could be with my father in America, and left her entire family behind. I didn’t really have a reason to come back home. However, even though my mom was Korean and my dad was the Asian American one, and we always spoke English at home, they always nagged me about how I had to learn the language. It might’ve probably been a good idea to actually listen to them… When they said that knowing another language was beneficial for me. They always lectured me on how it would look good for me in the future and it only brought positive things knowing something other than English.  

 That was way before they knew that my entire future was destroyed within the blink of an eye.

“Ugh,” I heard Tiffany say with a grunt, finally waking up. “What the hell is going on out there?”

“Oh thank god you’re up. They’ve been yelling for the past ten minutes, but I have no idea what they’re saying.”

“Ten minutes?” She asked, sounding lazy. “How the hell did I sleep through ten minutes of that?”

“I don’t know, but I certainly didn’t,” I responded, rubbing my pounding temples. “What are they saying?”

“They’re speaking English, but that’s not really working out for them,” she said with a sarcastic tone, making me let out a laugh. “It sounds like they want everyone on floor to come out. They keep saying the half-breed girls need to get out of their rooms.”  

She always used the term “half-breed” humans to describe all the girls on this floor who were considered a mixed race. They kept all the half-breed girls on the top floor of the house, while the rest of the girls, which I assume are full descent of Korean, are kept on the rest of the floors. I don't even know how Tiffany and I fell into the mix. We weren't half, we were just born and raised in America. However, we were put into this so-called "half-breeded" group. It didn’t really matter what they were to be totally honest; it went by what descent they were. I never interacted with the other girls that were on the same floor as me, but I didn’t really care for them as well. It was probably because I was already so close to Tiffany that I didn’t care for the rest of them as much as I cared for her.

Before she could say anything else, they began knocking on our door and screamed from the other side, “Tiffany, Minji! You have five minutes to get dress. If over five, we knock down!” With that command, they went on to the next room while I questioned, “Why are they waking us up at this time?”

“You think the police are here?”

“I doubt it,” I replied confidently. “They wouldn’t give us a time restriction if the police were here.”

“Eh, you’re right about that.”

I took the covers off of my body and stood up to head for the light, when I heard the guys at a near distance yelling at another girl’s room, “We have late customer! They pay double!”

Tiffany snickered and sighed. “Who the hell comes to a house this late at night?”

“You act like it never happened before,” I said, finally flicking on the lights, getting a clear view of her face. My vision had already adjusted to the darkness, so the transition from that to the light did not have an affect on. She ruffled her messy, long, brown hair and moved her face into the light, making her paler than usual.

 She groaned and started complaining, “Warn a girl before you do that.”

“No time to warn.”

She began going to the small closet that we both share and took off her short sleeping pants, changing into jeans shorts. There was no point in changing our white tank tops because we didn’t get anything else to wear unless they gave us a hideous outfit to wear. Sometimes the outfit consisted of tutus, weird assortments with feathers, and it was just something that I was not fond of. I mean, if they made me wear it, of course I would have to. It didn’t stop the customers from getting what they wanted and it wasn’t like I had the choice anyways. I quickly changed from my sleeping shorts into jeans shorts as well, looking at her for a few moments before we exited the room.

She chuckled at me and crossed her arms, “You didn’t wash your make-up off last night, huh?”

“No. By the time I was done last night, it was already midnight. I brushed my teeth and called it a night.”

She chuckled again and pulled out a face towel from her bed, grabbing my face to wash it off for me. “The black eyeliner all absorbed to your dark circles. You look like a panda right now, it doesn’t help that you’re so freaking pale.”

Tiffany told me it was always her dream of becoming a make-up artist when she grew older, but that was just in her head now. Even though we weren’t the ones to put make-up on ourselves, Tiffany would just give me random facts and tell me things she knew about it. I always listened to her though because I enjoyed being with her. In some strange way, we bonded over being roommates with one another for exactly a year now. We were both young, her being a little older; we were both Korean Americans; we both lived in the states; we both came on a vacation to South Korea with our parents just last year; we were both drugged and kidnapped by the same group of men; we were both thrown into the same room and now we were both living our life as es. Also, we were both scared for our lives, afraid of the fact that we would never see our parents again. I always wondered how they were, how painful it was for them to not know where their daughter was, even more hurt that the last time I saw them was when we together on a beach in Busan; it was the be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter