Opposites Attract

One Shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Haaaaaapy birthday, Minzy!" Krystal yelled excitedly, as Minzy opened the front door of her house. She was caught by surprise, when she saw Krystal, Chanyeol, Suho and Chen standing right at her doorsteps holding lots of balloons and stuffed animals in their hands. Krystal stepped into her home, with a teddy bear in her hands, handing it to Minzy, knowing that it was Minzy’s favorite thing.

“Happy birthday to my best friend,” Krystal said once again, as Minzy grabbed into a huge hug.

“Thank youuuuuu baby,” Minzy replied, excitedly, with a huge hug back, “You are forever the best.”

As the rest of them stepped into the house, Minzy stepped backwards for them to come in then shut the door behind them. Chanyeol, coming up to Minzy with his extremely big smile, handed her a balloon that wrote ‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY’, “Happy birthday to you! Surprised?”

Minzy nodded her head multiple times, grabbing the balloon from him, “Thank you Chanyeol. I guess you can be part of my best list.”

Chanyeol gave his girlfriend, Krystal, a strange look with widened eyes, which made her tilt her head.

Krystal crossed her arms, asking, “What?”

Chanyeol then nudged his head towards Minzy, making her look left to right between the two of them. Krystal gave Chanyeol an unphased face, looking disturbed, sighing, “Really?”

Chanyeol whined through his facial expression, as Krystal looked at Minzy, squinting , “He wants to give you a birthday hug.”

Minzy looked less confused, as she nodded her head, and Chanyeol pulled her into a hug, moving around a little bit. Krystal stood there smiling, happy that her best friend and her boyfriend got along so well.

After Suho and Chen got their hug, everyone stood in a circle, where Chanyeol started, “Where’s Kai?”

Minzy looked around, frowning a little, “He said he just woke up when I called him.”

The rest of them went silent, making Minzy realize that everyone was here, except for her own boyfriend.

Suho then came up to Minzy, wrapping his arms around her and smiled, “Since you’re the birthday girl today, what do you wanna do?”

She looked at Suho, smiling sincerely, “As long as I’m with you guys, I’ll be okay with anything.”

Chanyeol, with his arms around Krystal, exclaimed at Suho, “Yah, Suho. You can’t do that to Minzy, only Kai has the privelage to do that.”

Minzy looked down at her shoulders, still seeing Suho’s arms around them, as they made eye contact and nodded at each other. Suho slowly took his arms away from Minzy, going to stand next to Chen again, as Minzy sighed loudly.

If only Kai would actually put his arms around her, Minzy thought to herself. Kai already coming late for her birthday made her sad enough, it didn’t help that Chanyeol was standing right in front of her with Krystal, and he was one of the most romantic people that she’d ever met.

Sometimes Minzy wonders how she ever even liked Kai, and how Krystal even liked Chanyeol. Krystal always wanted a mellow, laid-back and reserved guy, because she was the type of girl who was more of laid-back, reserved, kind of person with a little feistiness here and there, but she was extremely friendly. While Minzy, who was this bubbly, energetic, sweet, nice and passionate girl, got a shy, quiet and reserved guy like Kai.

Guess it is what they always say.

Opposites attract.

Krystal clapped her hands once and decided, “Let’s just take Minzy to eat. We all know she just loves to eat.”

“We’re just gonna eat all day?” Chen asked, with his arms crossed.

Minzy smiled, liking that idea, and smiling. Chanyeol pointed at her face and smiled, “She likes that idea.”

Chanyeol shook Krystal’s shoulders, making her wobble a little as he continued, “My girlfriend is so smart.”

Krystal rolled her eyes toward him and said, stiffly, “She’s my best friend. Of course I know what she wants.”

Chanyeol only smiled, putting his arms around Krystal again, making her roll her eyes, very amused.

A knock was then heard at the door, so Minzy looked up first, following by the other four. Minzy smiled at all of them, opening the door to see Kai standing there in a black shirt with a blue and gray buttoned down shirt, with loose jeans, looking like he got out of the shower, since his hair was still wet.

“Hey,” Kai started, “Sorry I’m late.”

“It’s cool.”

Kai walked passed Minzy, grabbing her wrists real quick, then to his group of friends. Chanyeol smiled big when he saw Kai, exclaiming, “Kai, Kai, Kai, Kai! You’re here.”

Kai only smiled at him, seeing that his arms were still around Krystal, coming up and hittng both Suho and Chen in their backs, “What’s up guys?”

“You’re really late,” Chen said, sternly.

“Woke up late,” Kai said, with a small chuckle, “Had to take a shower too, I passed out after dance practice last night.”

Minzy shut the door, coming next to Kai, looking at her best friend and her boyfriend. Chanyeol seemed so in love with Krystal, that Minzy was so jealous. She wished Kai could’ve shown just half as much affection for her like Chanyeol did for Krystal; just only half.

But no.

They’ve been dating for almost two years, but people still question if they’re together because of Kai’s personality. He’s as stiff as a rock, but Minzy still sees the good in him no matter what.

She just wishes he’d be more affectionate.

Krystal smiled and coughed at Kai, “Boy, you forgetting to tell your girl something?”

Kai and Minzy looked at each other straight in the eye, as Kai noticed Minzy wearing the blouse that he bought for her when they first started dating. Kai nodded, replying to Krystal, “You wearing the shirt I bought you?”

Krystal rolled her eyes as Minzy only grinned. Kai chuckled, rubbing Minzy’s hair, and looking at her sweetly, “Happy birthday.”

Minzy grabbed Kai’s hands off of her hand, and held onto it, but he let go of it after a few seconds.

“You guys ready to go?” Kai asked, clapping his hands.

Everyone nodded as he continued, “What are we doing?”

“What’s Minzy’s favorite thing to do?” Krystal smirked, with a laugh in her tone.

Kai looked at her, nudging his head, “Hug teddy bears?”

Minzy rolled her eyes, while Krystal got out of Chanyeol’s arms, pushing Kai, “Let’s just go man. We’re taking Minzy out all day, so let’s make the best of it.”

As Minzy was getting pushed too, she stopped Krystal, saying, “I need my car keys.”

“Oh yeah,” Krystal giggled, “Go, go. Get the car keys.”

As Minzy walked off to another room, Suho added, “You guys don’t wanna take my car?”

“Boy,” Krystal called, “As nice as your car is, it will not fit all of us. Do you see how tall Chanyeol is?”

Chanyeol came back to wrap his arms around Krystal again, startling her a little, “I mean. You could always sit on my lap, I can wrap my arms around you like this,” Chanyeol went behind her and wrapped his arms from behind around her waist, making Krystal’s eyes widened, “Yah! Chanyeol! This is too embarassing, let go of me.”

Krystal hit his arms until he let go, making him pout, but linking onto her arms.

Suho and Chen looked at each other, rolling their eyes as Chen whispered to him, “Does Chanyeol scare you sometimes?”

“Only when he’s with Krystal,” Suho answered.

“Yeah, but he’s always with Krystal. If he’s not with Krystal, he’s still breathing the name of Krystal.”

Suho nodded his head, agreeing with Chen, “Yeah, then I guess I’m always afraid of him.”

They both scratched their heads, shaking them too.

Krystal exhaled slowly, trying to breathe as she saw Minzy come back with her car keys and a small purse with the long handle hanging off her shoulders. Krystal tried to get out of Chanyeol’s grasp as Minzy opened the door for them but he wouldn’t let go, making them walk out the door together.

Suho and Chen followed behind them, while Minzy waited for Kai to walk out first. They made eye contact, with Kai smiling and asking, “You want me to drive?”

“You expected the birthday girl to drive?” Minzy said, sweetly.

Kai smiled, taking the keys from her, then walking off the steps of the house. Minzy locked the door behind her, then headed towards the front seat of the car.

As Kai was getting to drive in the drivers’ seat, Chanyeol and Krystal were in the middle row, with him leaning against the window. Suho was trying to figure out a way to get to the back seat, behind Krystal and Chanyeol, as Krystal announced, “Suho, Chen. Just sit with us, I’m sure there’s plenty of space.”

As Chen popped the seat down, he only laughed and shook his head, “Nah. Us fifth wheelers will just go in the back.”

Chen and Suho then climbed to the back seat, pulling the seat back up, so Krystal can move towards the right.

“Yah, Krystal,” Chanyeol whined, as Krystal was scooting over to her side of the car. Krystal looked at him, confusingly, “What now?”

“I liked you that close to me,” Chanyeol continued whining, “I could put my arms around your shoulders like this.”

Chanyeol tried to do it, but Krystal stopped his hands, pushing his hands back to him, “Nah. I need my arm and leg space. I have long legs, you know?”

“I have long legs too, but I would still sit next to you.”

Krystal sighed, raising her hands up, “Just... stay there. We’ll be at the mall soon.”

Minzy got in the passenger side of the car, as Kai started up the car, putting his seatbelt on, “We’re going to the mall?” he asked.

“We’re going on a restaurant spree today,” Krystal joked, making me look back at her. Minzy saw Chanyeol smile big, grabbing onto Krystal’s hands, “So we go on a shopping spree for your birthday, right?”

Krystal looked at him again with a stern facial expression, “My birthday’s in ten months. Why you thinking about that?”

“Just wanted to get ready,” Chanyeol smiled, “I gotta do a big, big, big surprise for my girl.”

She then looked down at his hands holding onto hers, as she leaned against the window, “You gonna hold onto that any longer, Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol looked down and nodded his head goofily, “The entire car ride, sweetie.”

Krystal rolled her eyes and rested her other arm against the window, her palms resting against her face.

Minzy tapped Kai’s wrists as his left hand was holding onto the wheel, and his right hand holding onto the gear towards the bottom of the car, asking, “What did you wanna eat today?”

Kai grinned, not taking his eyes off the road, answering, “Anything’s fine. You know I just need to eat chicken.”

Minzy nodded, hoping he would say something else about her birthday, but he stayed quiet. Like saying what he had planned for her, or something special that he was gonna do for her, but nope; he stayed utterly quiet, just driving to their destination.

Suho and Chen in the back, Chen whispered to Suho, asking, “So what do us fifth wheelers do in situations like this?”

“Situations like what?”

“When there’s two couples that’s the complete opposite of each other,” Chen answered.

Suho sighed, nodding his head, “I don’t know. I’ll just pay for the food, let’s just not make anything awkward. It should be a good day for Minzy. It’s her birthday, you know?”

“Umm, not if Chanyeol and Kai are being boyfriends like this. You know how both Krystal and Minzy get.”

Suho shook his head, complaining, “Why don’t they just switch the couple around so everyone will be happy?”

“Beats me, man. Beats me,” Chen said, with a shrug.

~~

As the day went by, all of Minzy’s friends had been buying spoiling her all day for her birthday, from buying all the foods that she wanted. Chanyeol and Krystal were inseparable from each other, because he had his hands around her shoulders the entire time, not letting her go anywhere.

Kai and Minzy were just walking side by side together, with him linking his hands behind his back.

Minzy hoped that Kai could show just half the affection that Chanyeol showed for Krystal, but he wouldn’t even do it for her birthday.

She felt extremely neglected by that.

Suho nudged Chen, walking behind Minzy and Kai, whispering, “Yah! Why hasn’t Kai gotten anything for Minzy yet? When’s he gonna give it to her? Isn’t it the second birthday they celebrated together?”

“I don’t know!” Chen exclaimed back, “You think I know?”

“Someone should ask him.”

“Krystal should ask him,” Chen suggested, “It’ll be more straight to the point.”

“Maybe he wants to surprise her?” Suho asked. Chen sighed, shaking his head, “Does Kai do surprises though?”

Suho nodded his head, “He bought a fan for her last year.”

“A fan?”

Suho continued nodding his head, as Chen kept asking, “Like a legit fan? A fan that keeps you cold during the heat season?”

“A fan, my friend.”

“A fan?” Chen continued asking, in shock.

“A fan...” Suho stopped, correcting, “Oh wait. I forgot. The fan had a teddy bear connected to it. So it was basically the same symbolism as the teddy bear fanning her. Keeping her cool, ya know?”

Chen looked at Suho with an extremely concerned facial expression, face palming his forehead, “How did our friend manage to get a sweet girl like Minzy?”

“The better question is...” Suho extended, “How does a sweet girl like Minzy deal with that?”

Minzy walked passed an open clothes store, that displayed a female and male mannequin in the front, with the both of them wearing a heart t-shirt.

“Babe,” she called for Kai, “Isn’t that cute?”

Kai stopped after her, replying, “Couple t-shirt?”

“Yeah,” Minzy replied, nodding her head multiple times, “We should get one like that. It’s adorable.”

Kai clenched his teeth together, shaking his head, “Why do you want a couple t-shirt?”

“Why not?” Minzy whined, “I think it’s cute.”

“It’s embarassing, Minz,” Kai answered, “Wearing the same t-shirt as a girl. Why would you wanna wear the same shirt as me?”

Minzy only pouted , nodding her head, not knowing what to say. She thought about Chanyeol always buying Krystal couples’ t-shirts, couples’ sweatshirts, couples’ accessories, and just so many couples’ stuff. Why wouldn’t he like that even the slighest bit, she thought.

Chanyeol, with his arms around Krystal, getting her slightly annoyed because she felt like she couldn’t breathe, “Baby, baby. You want me to buy you that? I think it’ll look cute on you.”

“I didn’t even point to it yet, though.”

“Yeah, but I know what you would like,” Chanyeol answered, proudly, “I know my girl the best.”

“Nah, Minzy knows me the best.”

Chanyeol pouted his mouth, as Krystal just scratched her head, trying to get out of his arms. She suddenly ducked under Chanyeol’s arms, walking backwards, and going to stand in between Kai and Minzy.

“I need to breathe,” Krystal said, fanning herself.

Chanyeol looked back, looking at her with whining eyes. Kai chuckled, shaking his head, “Is Channie hugging you too much?”

“Kai,” Krystal replied, tugging onto the sleeve of his shirt, “You wouldn’t even know.”

Minzy laughed, crossing her eyes, “I think it’s the cutest thing ever. So romantic, this guy.”

Krystal glared at Minzy, shaking her head again, “Girl. If you like romantic so much, you should take him.”

Suho and Chen came close to the three of them, with Chen asking, “Girl. Don’t get so angry. He’s just showing affection for you.”

She stared back at Chen, sighing, “Every single second?”

As Krystal was getting annoyed by Chanyeol, Minzy was only getting more sad by Kai not doing anything at all. Except, Minzy couldn’t really do anything about it.

“I’m still jealous,” Minzy said softly, as Krystal only put her arms around her shoulders, consoling her.

Chanyeol then ran back to Krystal, grabbing her my the hand, and dragged her happily, “Sweetie, sweetie. I gotta show you something. I wanna buy it for you.”

Krystal pouted at Minzy, before running off, then it was left with Kai and Minzy walking next to one another again.

Kai shook his head, “Chanyeol is too much sometimes.”

“I think it’s fine,” Minzy replied, softly. “He’s showing her how much he loves her.”

Kai and Minzy looked at each other, but she only walked further than him, just walking alone this time. Kai looked down, a little frustrated with himself. Suho and Chen started feeling awkward because the two couples started to stir up conflicts, so they just stayed behind the four of them, like the fifth wheelers that they were.

“Should we do something?” Suho asked Chen, as he saw Kai walking by himself, with his hands in his back pockets.

“What do we do though?” Chen asked back, “All I got with me are my hot packs. You want me to give that to her?”

Suho squinted his mouth, pushing Chen’s forehead, “Yah. Not the time to joke around. Things are conflicting here.”

“It hasn’t gone to the extreme yet,” he answered, “Just a little frustration.”

“Just a bit,” Suho snickered, “The stiff girl got a bubbly, romantic boyfriend, while the bubbly, romantic girl got the stiff boyfriend.”

Chanyeol pulled Krystal in front of a teddy bear store, where she just stood there, scratching her neck awkwardly as she saw so many little kids wandering the store.

“Chanyeol,” she called, “Why are we standing in front of here?”

“Teddy bears,” he replied, with a smile.

“What about the teddy bears?”  Krystal asked, with a snub, “You wanna buy one for your little cousins or something?”

“No silly,” Chanyeol smiled, “Let’s buy one. A couple teddy bear. Look the one inside, they’re holding a heart.”

Krystal’s eyes widened, shaking her head, “Chanyeol, Chanyeol, Chanyeol. We are not that young, for you to be buying teddy bears for me like that.”

Chanyeol grabbed her hands and whined, “Sweeeeetieee. Please, I think it’ll be really cute. It will symbolize our love for each other.”

“The symbolism of our love, is all over my room,” Krystal said, in an extremely high-pitched voice.

Krystal whined because Chanyeol had bought her so many stuffed animals, that it had filled her room already. She was also not the person who was big on teddy bears and all those cute, adorable kind of things, because she just never was into it.

Minzy, on the other hand, loved stuffed animals and teddy bears. But Kai only got it for her once in a while, for special occasions.

As Chanyeol was trying to convince Krystal to buy her a teddy bear, Minzy walked back to Suho and Chen, standing in the middle of them.

“Yah,” Suho called, flicking back and forth between him and Chen, “Aren’t we walking in pairs? We consider ourselves a pair as well.”

Chen glared at him, reaching out to hit his forehead, “Hush up, Suho. What’s up you?”

Kai, walking in front of them by himself, tried listening in, but pretended like he was only walking.

“Chanyeol once again, wants to buy Krystal a teddy bear,” Minzy replied. Suho laughed and shrugged, “If he could buy it everyday, I’m sure he would.”

Chen snickered, “I think he’ll buy it for her until she can’t walk into her room anymore.”

Those jokes didn’t make Minzy feel any better, so she only sighed, “Why can’t Kai just be a little like that?”

Suho and Chen looked at one another, a little concerned, while Chen just rubbed her back, “Minzy. Don’t think like that.”

Purposely walking slower, Suho tried to separate further away from Kai to tell Minzy, “You can’t change a person if they are already like that. You gotta accept it if you really like him Minzy.”

Knowing Suho was right, Minzy only pouted . All the two guys could do was comfort her by rubbing her back and head.

“I just want a couple teddy bear too,” Minzy complained, out loud, enough for Kai to hear. Kai only sighed to himself, not doing anything about it. He wondered why his girlfriend always expected him to be so romantic and so fluffy, when he just didn’t know how to do it.

As Minzy walked closer to Chanyeol trying to convince Krystal to accept him buying a teddy bear for them, Chanyeol called Minzy loudly, “Minzy, Minzy!”

“What’s up?”

They all stopped in front of the teddy bear shop, where Chanyeol nudged Minzy, “Have Kai buy you a couple teddy bear.”

Minzy looked at Kai sadly, looking back at Chanyeol, “You should buy Krystal one. Go ahead in. I can wait.”

“Minz,” Krystal demanded, “I don’t need one.”

“Look at Minzy,” Chanyeol told Krystal, “She wants one all the time.”

Kai looked at Minzy, wanting to say something, but held himself back because he didn’t know how to say it. Chanyeol put his arms around Kai and nudged, “Kai, my friend. Buy a teddy bear for your girl. It can be like the two teddy bear couples.”

Krystal rolled her eyes and crossed her hands, while Kai pulled his best friend’s off of his own shoulders, “She has plenty. I’m sure she doesn’t need any couple teddy bear. That’s cheesy.”

Minzy started to get frustrated with all of Kai’s responses, so she just crossed her arms, whispering to herself out loud, “Does it kill you to be a little romantic?”

Chanyeol and Krystal, hearing her clearly, felt really bad for her at this point. Chanyeol looked at her frowning, then back at Krystal, without knowing what to do.

“How about this?” Chanyeol started, “Umm... Minzy. I’ll buy you a teddy bear, okay? So you’ll have another collection. I needed to get you a birthday gift too, I think this we’ll be perfect. You choose?”

Minzy only grinned and nodded her head as Chanyeol looked at Krystal, “But I must buy Krystal a couple teddy bear as well.”

Krystal groaned, sighing loudly, doing this for her best friend, “This is all for you Minz.”

As Chanyeol was pushing both Minzy and Krystal into the store, Kai pulled Chanyeol by his hoodie and looked at him sternly, “Yah, Chanyeol. Don’t buy Minzy a teddy bear, she’s not your girlfriend.”

Chanyeol eyed Krystal to go into the store first with Minzy, as she just nodded her head, and walked in with Minzy, wrapping her arms around her shoulders.

“Well,” Chanyeol started, looking seriously at Kai, “I don’t see her boyfriend making any effort to make her happy for her birthday at all.”

With that, Chanyeol walked into the store with the two girls, Kai standing there feeling like a horrible boyfriend.

How did such a little thing turn into such a conflicting problem?

~~

As Krystal, Chanyeol and Minzy walked out of the store with two bags total, the other three guys stood there waiting and playing with their phones. Minzy was holding a shopping bag that had her teddy bear in it, which was holding a cup saying, “Happy Birthday” while Chanyeol and Krystal put two teddy bears in one bag, with one teddy holding a heart that wrote “Together” and the other writing, “Forever”.

“Like the teddy bear, sweetie?” Chanyeol asked happily, asking Krystal. Krystal only glared at Minzy, before answering, fakely smiling, “Only for your happiness girl, only for you.”

Krystal smiled sweetly at Chanyeol as he patted her head, only glaring back at Minzy. Krystal whined inside her head and thought about where she had to place her next teddy bear. There was no more room on her storage shelves to be putting it there.

Minzy smiled at Chanyeol, nodding her head, “Thank you for the birthday gift, Channie. Best friends forever, dude.”

Chanyeol gave Minzy a high-five, as Kai walked up to her, with his hands in his pockets. He tried grabbing the bag out of Minzy’s hands, “Here. I’ll hold it for you.”

Minzy pulled her hand bag, holding onto the handles tight, frowning, “If you don’t care about it, then you don’t have to hold anything. I don’t want to force you into doing anything you don’t want.”

Minzy walked further, Kai more upset that his girlfriend was frustrated with him at this point. Chen and Suho started walking with him, patting his back, “What’s good friend?”

“I don’t get why Minzy is so pissed off,” Kai complained, “I did nothing.”

“It’s because you did nothing, Kai,” Chen snapped back, “It’s her birthday and doing nothing, is not the best combination.”

“I’m like this every single day,” he defended himself. Chen sighed, scratching his head, “Listen, I know you guys have been together for almost two years now. And I know you’re a good person, but why don’t you try adjusting yourself to match her a little? You guys are on opposite ends of the scale with your romance.”

Suho added, “You’re lucky Minzy is a sweetheart, who doesn’t say anything. But today is not like any other day, it’s a special day for her man. You should really consider her feelings when she really wants something.”

“I bought her food already,” Kai said, “It’s like her favorite thing.”

Suho sighed, disappointed in his friend, “It’s a lot more than just buying stuff, Kai. I just hope you realize it before she gets even more frustrated with you, because knowing her, she’s not going to say anything. I don’t want little things to lead up to big things for no reason.”

“So,” Kai continued, “If I bought her a freaking teddy bear, would she stop being mad?”

“You’re only gonna buy it for her cause she’s mad?” Suho asked, more angrily, “You’re not thinking about what your girlfriend might actually just want from you?”

Suho walked away from Kai, leaving him and Chen behind, and wanting to strangle him. Chen sighed, scratching his he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter