Chapter Ten

Sasaeng's Pen

“Aaaggghhh!!!” Baekhyun screamed and withdrew his hand from the cold field her face created. He held his wrist with his free hand and closed his eyes, prayed that everything will go away, that this was just a nightmare. “No way, no way, no way,” he chanted with all his might. His heart beat faster than normal. “No way, no way, no way,” he continued, believed such thing was an imagination.

It was left for imagination all alone.

The playful imagination of the author played the game upon them.

He opened his eyes and found her there again, reflected by the mirror, with her face facing her lap. Taking in reality, Jikyun was shredded into pieces by the thought Baekhyun didn’t want to see her at all. Or to say it the last, Baekhyun never wanted to witness such a paranormal vision.

It crushed her heart even more. It crushed her heart that it came to the point there were salted drops which formed into her eyes. The tears enveloped her vision, made it blurry. She stood up from her seat and kissed Baekhyun, a forceful one. She sipped into his lips’ gentle scent and out its color, pressing his cheeks together as tears continued to flow down her river of sorrow.

After the kiss, she ran away from the cursed area. She was affected and his herself on an abandoned street where no light was protruding. “Is it really okay for me to live? Moreover, is it okay for a sasaeng fan to become alive? Heck, I ain’t even alive at all!” she cried, until the tears reached down the ground. She caressed the moment, of being un-alive.

She isn’t undead for sure.

But she is un-alive.

“Technically, sasaengs aren’t human! They are hideous! I am grateful Korea lost them,” a passerby emphasized, made a disgusted face. Jikyun embraced her legs and hid herself from the sight of the horrible people. Their words echoed to her ears.

“Sasaengs aren’t human.”

“Sasaengs aren’t human.”

“Sasaengs aren’t human.”

“Sasaengs aren’t human.”

“Sasaengs aren’t human.”

She felt lost along the ocean of not being human. The word echoed though her ears and she perceived it. She interpreted it to be true. “We aren’t human!!!” she shouted out loud while pulling her hair. She drowned of it. The words consumed her.

“Do you really think you aren’t human?” the librarian asked. She appeared in front of her, looking ever-so sophisticated in her pencil skirt and button-up shirt. The latter repeated her question while pushing her maroon-framed glasses over her nose.

“Yes!” Jikyun shouted giddily and clapped her palms together three times. Her clapping was followed by a hysterical laugh as she pulled her curly hair until her scalp couldn’t take it anymore. She pulled her palms back and saw some of her hair stuck into her hold.

“Bring back your composure, Yong Jikyun!” the librarian shouted and the dark alley faded into the library.

This time, it was cleaned. The carpet was visible without the books on it. There were no dust particles whatsoever. It seemed like it was cleaned thoroughly. Jikyun swigged her hips around — mesmerized by the sparkling cleanliness.

After numerous times of swaying around the place, she saw this particular corner wherein all of the book were still scattered. And it was covered in dust, as if a Dust-Avalanche just swept it down. She got back from her knees and laughed inexplicably. “I fell! I fell!” Hahaha, I fell on the floor! I fe—“

Before she could even complete her insanity, the librarian, slapped her face, hard, harder than a normal slap. Her skin and flesh crinkled after the great attack, she spit out blood right after. “Hehehe, my consciousness is telling me to ignore not being human, eh?” she asked with a slight smirk as another wave of laughter consumed her body.

Her spine bended 67 Degrees to her back. She then threw a right smash against her librarian, and hit the librarian’s stomach but it caused no injury at all. The light reflected on the older one’s glasses and boom! Another smash reached the librarian. It hit at the right eye. The glass crumbled up before the broken particles fell down on the floor.

“If you miss, throw another one!” Jikyun shouted, throwing punches at the librarian who did nothing but dodge it. At this rate, a psychopath and a conceited librarian fighting, the chances of either side winning are zero.

“Not a human! Not a human! Not a human!” she repeated and threw a left uppercut and was followed by right-leg kick, which the librarian, resisted with a hold at the ankle. Jikyun gulped with her eyes wide open.

“Stop this ignorance,” the librarian spoke and freed her ankle. She tried resisting and threw batches of punches but she was dragged by white robe-dressed personnel inside a caged. “Interfered against the laws of spirits and humans, fought against your conscience, just what are you?” the librarian asked, stretching her wrist.

Thump.

And the door was closed and darkness perceived her whole cage.

“Interfered the law…?”

“Fought against my conscience…?”

“Just what am I…?”

Jikyun wiped over the blood left on her lips and spat out the rest inside . “Sasaeng fans are humans; we deserve what humans deserve as well. It was foolish of me of doing such ungrateful thing. I completely lost my sanity for a while there. I should expect better from myself.”

Jikyun stuck herself in one corner, balled up into a huge crying mess as she could not understand anything at all. How could she interfere the law? She haven’t killed for sure, she hadent do anything for sure. Fought against her conscience, figuratively or literally?

There was a small ignition outside her cage and a small fire was formed. Jikyun lifted her head and noticed the fire was moving. Until, the fire came near her. “Aaagh! Who are you?” she asked the creature holding the fire on her index finger.

“Hello, I am Noi, a Kumiho,” the creature introduced. Yes, the creature was beautifully dressed in a white dress and had a long Brunette flowing hair. She looked innocent with those sepia-colored eyes and battering eyelashes. She was beautiful. She looked human.

But Jikyun declined her friendly talk and came back to her corner. “How is Baekhyun doing, how is he? I shouldn’t have left him all alone. I miss him, surprisingly. Although he sure was frightened seeing me. I should get out of this crappy cage! I should get out, I should!” Jikyun rustled the bars with all her power, but she didn’t even broke one, neither scratch one.

“There’s no use of doing that. Those bars are made of melted down fears,” Noi advised while waving her hand, causing the fire to follow the sync of her movements.

Jikyun threw another punch against the bars which crushed her bones before tears fell from her tear ducts.

“Hey, don’t shut me up, you twit. If you want to go with that idol of yours so badly, I could help you.” Noi smirked; having the fire on her finger cast a beautiful lighting to her face. It was dark, and all Jikyun cared about was the love of her life.

“I can transport you outside, back to the human world, as a real human. But, you should give me a memory you treasure most, that memory will help me get out as well,” Noi winked while giving her the thumbs up sign. Noi pointed out with the fire-finger of hers the pen on her pocket. “Isn’t that a memory? If I could have it, I could set you free. But if you bust out of this prison, you will be haunt. Bear with the consequences.” Noi shrugged and waited for a response.

Jikyun thought it for a while, caressing the pen which brought her existence. It was that pen that connected her to Baekhyun, the pen which signifies her life. How could she give up such thing? It was a memory, a treasure only she could have. Her choice and decision will change her life, eventually.

Losing this pen or being alive again? Are those the only two options she had at the moment? She tried weighing the cons and pros of each option. Think of it deeply, used her brain juices and decided. Which will she choose? And what consequences lie behind each door?


[Author's Apology]: Sorry for not updating a while. I was busy on our student council as for it has been our HS Week Festival just last week. I sincerely apologize. Anyhow, I joined this contest called A Freedom Writing Contest as this story as my entry!

I hoped you enjoyed today's chapter. And oh, join my writing contest! Noi is a Kumiho! I remember Park Shin Hye on the movie!, wait, was it Park Shin Hye or Jin Min AH? I am confused!

What will she choose? Losing the pen or being alive? Tell on the comment box below! F  F  F  F  F

Toi;Writing Contest